Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

Daboll, Ryans, Leftwich are my top three. I've added some guys to my list like Hackett, O'Connell, Lombardi, & Raheem Morris.

Out of those 7, they have interviewed zero to date. I know they have asked O'Connell, but I've heard nothing confirmed have you? I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about Gannon but to me the key is who is his OC. This offense needs an enema not just a tweaking. I don't give a rats behind about setting Mills back. He's likely not the long term answer anyway. Burn this MoFo to the ground and rebuild it from scratch with some variation of the WCO and I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for the reply

Daboll is probably going to be joining Schoen with the NYG. Ryans will never be the Texans HC due to the lawsuit he brought against the Texans org. Hackett/Morris/Leftwhich aren't on the list of interviewees. I'm not high on either one of these guys. Hackett/Leftwhich have the advantage of running offenses with the best 2 QB's in the NFL.

They've interviewed Lombardi and will be interviewing O'Connell interviewing soon. Agreed about the offense needing an enema, more top tier talent added would be even better.

Where we disagree is I think Mills is the future. He looked pretty darned good in an offense you described as needing an enema. IMHO, everything from this point forward should be about giving Mills he things he needs to succeed. Hiring the right HC/asst coaches (Keeping Pep would be a great start.) adding to the OL and finding the skill position players to help Mills be successful. I doubt Caserio can do all of this in 1 offseason but he should do everything possible to help Mills.

With this said I'm wanting Caserio to draft difference makers. If that's Hamilton at 1-3 and Jermaine Johnson at 2-37 I will still be very happy with this draft.

We are going to have to find a HC that is OK with his staff picked out:
Pep- OC
Lovie - DC
McCown - Assistant Coach

Should not be too hard finding a top tier coach that is willing to make those concessions.

That is sarcasm for you slow folks out there.

I will bet you Pep is going to be on the new staff.

Texans have a defensive identity via Lovie Smith…..they just lack the personnel.

Texans can go offensive minded HC to work with probable OC Pep Hamilton. That avenue leads back to O’Connell being the next HC.
Good point. Also, what type of defense does Gannon prefer? He replaced Jim Schwartz as Eagles DC and Schwartz loved running that wide 9 defensive scheme. Did he run Schwartz's defense or the double A gap blitz, press man coverage defense he learned from his time with Zimmer and the Vikings?

If Lovie is retained and Gannon is hired, would he want his own DC or would Lovie be open to tweaking his defense and integrate concepts from Gannon's previous stops? I guess these are the question and cons of having a staff hired before the HC.

Last edited:
We are going to have to find a HC that is OK with his staff picked out:
Pep- OC
Lovie - DC
McCown - Assistant Coach

Should not be too hard finding a top tier coach that is willing to make those concessions.

That is sarcasm for you slow folks out there.
They were talking on 610 this morning that this was how the Pittsburg Steelers operated back when Chuck Noll was hired. I'm sure there are other examples which could be found. But it also depends on your definition of a top tier coach. And we don't know what coaching direction the Texans are going. They may be looking for a younger less experienced guy, but one who is highly regarded and thought of with potential.

Associate head coach. What the hell does that mean? And y'all still think my thoughts on the Preacher undermining a new HC to promote his teacher's pet into the HC office pronto doesn't hold water? If Josh and the Preacher are here together, it's a disaster waiting to happen. They will put the fun back into dysfunction.

They were talking on 610 this morning that this was how the Pittsburg Steelers operated back when Chuck Noll was hired. I'm sure there are other examples which could be found. But it also depends on your definition of a top tier coach. And we don't know what coaching direction the Texans are going. They may be looking for a younger less experienced guy, but one who is highly regarded and thought of with potential.
That would be Jerod Mayo.

Associate head coach. What the hell does that mean? And y'all still think my thoughts on the Preacher undermining a new HC to promote his teacher's pet into the HC office pronto doesn't hold water? If Josh and the Preacher are here together, it's a disaster waiting to happen. They will put the fun back into dysfunction.

Assistant Head Coach

Assistant to the Head Coach (Hines Ward at FAU)

They were talking on 610 this morning that this was how the Pittsburg Steelers operated back when Chuck Noll was hired.
I'm pretty sure they (or you) are confusing Chuck Noll for Mike Tomlin. Many of the assistants under Bill Cowher (including Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians) remained on staff when Tomlin took over.

Folks keep crying about the Texans not having a unique identity…about this team trying to copy the Patriots…but then at the same time wanting them to copy and do what other franchises do when they bring in players and other personnel….which is chasing after the flavor of the month hotshot DC/OC coordinator…or the popular young guy who coaches “this” particular system.

In developing a unique identity it typically requires going against the grain in how you do & approach things…So at the very least for me, i can appreciate the Texans and NC for approaching the rebuild of this team in a new way…it remains to be seen if it can lead to success, but you never know unless you try.

Folks keep crying about the Texans not having a unique identity…about this team trying to copy the Patriots…but then at the same time wanting them to copy and do what other franchises do when they bring in players and other personnel….which is chasing after the flavor of the month hotshot DC/OC coordinator…or the popular young guy who coaches “this” particular system.

In developing a unique identity it typically requires going against the grain in how you do & approach things…So at the very least for me, i can appreciate the Texans and NC for approaching the rebuild of this team in a new way…it remains to be seen if it can lead to success, but you never know unless you try.
I thought you were going to stop posting in here and just follow CND and Corrosion. Having a hard time keeping track of you these days lol

I thought you were going to stop posting in here and just follow CND and Corrosion. Having a hard time keeping track of you these days lol

i didn’t say I would stop posting in this thread..only that I’d stop entertaining the nonsense being posted in here by the usual Debbie downer, doom and gloomers b/c it’s clear that reasoning has gone out of the window for 1 silly reason or another with them. They’re convinced it’s all FUBAR….why? Because Larry from Stafford said so on the 610 this morning.

I'm pretty sure they (or you) are confusing Chuck Noll for Mike Tomlin. Many of the assistants under Bill Cowher (including Dick LeBeau and Bruce Arians) remained on staff when Tomlin took over.
No, they were speaking of the Rooney family and the control exerted by Art Rooney when Noll was hired in '69. But they also implied your point, mentioning that the family has always exerted control, although mentioning that things have loosened up some in the last few years.

No, they were speaking of the Rooney family and the control exerted by Art Rooney when Noll was hired in '69.
I don't think they were correct in the Noll situation. And Bill Cowher brought his own staff in 1992 (Including Dom Capers, Dick LeBeau, and Marvin Lewis). The Tomlin situation in 2007 was unique in that the Steelers were coming off a Super Bowl win in 2005, and the core of the team was still intact. There was no reason to make wholesale changes in the organization, and Tomlin was agreeable to that. In the years since, Tomlin has made changes in the staff.

You were right.

We can't disagree with your sources?

Sure, you can .... but you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the facts every time.

Still don't understand your 180 on Easterby.

I don't see a 180 .... "I'm not worried"

Was he or was he not GM for a period of time? (And did pretty much .... nothing at all during that period of time. What's to worry about when he did diddly.)

I'm saying he's not to blame before that (mostly on Teapot & Janice) and he's just an easy target since.

You've got 610am trying to make a 3 hour show out of Devil Jack for the last 2 years .... when little of what they say has any basis in fact, it's just their attempt at 6 degrees of stupid - then you play along trying to connect the dots - and there's no one to dispute the crap they spew.
They let that clown Larry in Stafford on the air to rial everyone up and spew more falsities that fit their agenda of Devil Jack ....

He's a media created monster because they have nothing else. The team keeps everything internal and if someone leaks negativity, they are gone.
I'm almost surprised that Cal hasn't pulled the plug on 610 broadcasting their games as a result of all the negativity that cascades from the mouths of morons...

Last edited:
I'm almost surprised that Cal hasn't pulled the plug on 610 broadcasting their games
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. The entire organization lives in a cocoon and thinks they are impervious to criticism.

Sure, you can .... but you'll find yourself on the wrong side of the facts every time.

Was he or was he not GM for a period of time? (And did pretty much .... nothing at all during that period of time. What's to worry about when he did diddly.)

I'm saying he's not to blame before that (mostly on Teapot & Janice) and he's just an easy target since.

You've got 610am trying to make a 3 hour show out of Devil Jack for the last 2 years .... when little of what they say has any basis in fact, it's just their attempt at 6 degrees of stupid - then you play along trying to connect the dots - and there's no one to dispute the crap they spew.
They let that clown Larry in Stafford on the air to rial everyone up and spew more falsities that fit their agenda of Devil Jack ....

He's a media created monster because they have nothing else. The team keeps everything internal and if someone leaks negativity, they are gone.
I'm almost surprised that Cal hasn't pulled the plug on 610 broadcasting their games as a result of all the negativity that cascades from the mouths of morons...
It’s wild how there haven’t been any more SI articles on Jack since certain folks left the organization

JACK
JACK

JACK
Jack
Jack
Jack

6b19cf48c56f8881bd785e452e395d63.jpg

I guess I'm slow. I have no idea what this means lol

The Chronicle writers and others have also had some similar stories about the Preacher. I'm sure it's complete and total coincidence that Jack's totally inexperienced BFF has now gotten two interviews for HC. Nah, he's just the culture coach or whatever jackass title Cal and Janice has bestowed upon the Preacher. All I know is unless Cal sells the team, the only possible way to clear up whether he does/does not have any authority over personnel and similar matters is to put an empty box and a last paycheck on his office desk. Right now, 99% of the fan base thinks he does and its a horrible look.

The Chronicle writers and others have also had some similar stories about the Preacher. I'm sure it's complete and total coincidence that Jack's totally inexperienced BFF has now gotten two interviews for HC. Nah, he's just the culture coach or whatever jackass title Cal and Janice has bestowed upon the Preacher. All I know is unless Cal sells the team, the only possible way to clear up whether he does/does not have any authority over personnel and similar matters is to put an empty box and a last paycheck on his office desk. Right now, 99% of the fan base thinks he does and its a horrible look.

“99%” of the fan base is also on the outside of the Texans FO too….

I'm sure it's complete and total coincidence that Jack's totally inexperienced BFF has now gotten two interviews for HC
They interviewed Tim Kelly for the same job.

If he hires McCown as HC, then I can see getting excited.

John McLain said they offered McCown an Assistant HC position. Like Culley with the Ravens, which we've already said means nothing.

What chronicle writers? Who?

Back