Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

H-Town Sports -- Cursed Or Not?

Is Houston a Cursed Sports Town?

• Yes, Even Our Championships are Marred with Asterisks

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No, Past is not Prologue

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Meh, Too Despondent to Vote after Chanting "MVP" to Coddle Harden After Another Postseason Ouster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

txtx

Waterboy
Texas Monthly has the latest trolling nag of an article on Houston being the saddest, cursed sports city in the US. Of course, the author neglects to mention to Rockets' Championships, or the Oilers AFL title wins), preferring to include only the admittedly long list of negative sports headlines to prove his point. My opinion is we may very well have the most down, frustrated fans in the entire nation, but there's no curse--only bad history--and articles like that are simply mean on one hand and an attempt for a writer to claim national attention in a negative way that we haven't been able to yet claim through winning championships.

Love to know what you all think...

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
A relative from Dallas said of Houston, "Where the climate is easy the people are sleazy." Houston had such a good economic situation that its teams took it easy instead of getting tough.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
not cursed, heck just a few years ago we had the Astros winning it all, Rockets are the only team in playoffs last 8 years and got to WCF, Texans were 10-6 level winning divisions, so all major sports were at least competitive. Now fast forward and all three have new GM's and head coaches and going South versus North, so sucks. I mean look at Detroit eh? If there is a curse, it is from the Astrodome, so it has to go and be replaced by an all you can eat / drink BBQ and beer plaza

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Nah, Oilers Mike Renfro non-catch call, Oilers 35-3, Oilers moving, entire existence of the Texans, Astros finally winning the WS only to be followed by the cheating scandal which tainted it in many people's eyes, Rockets for the last 25 years (it all started with ill advised dumping of their classic Clutch City uniforms for the cartoon pajamas uniform, now I have no idea what their uniform is), the MLS team having to change their original cool name that honored the rich history and independence of Texas for one that honors laundry detergent, and the city never being able to land an NHL team (despite being the 4th largest market in the US), etc.

No, Houston is just in a bad funk right now. :)

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
I think it depends on your age and/or how long you've been following Houston sports. My wife is from Philly but she's been an Astros fan since the 2005 season.

I had a bunch of "oh ****, here we go again" moments during the 2017 playoff run and she couldn't understand why I kept playing Debbie Downer. The answer was always "Because I'm from Houston. That's what we do."

Thank God for sleeveless Justin Verlander.

JV Guns Out.jpg

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Nah, Oilers Mike Renfro non-catch call, Oilers 35-3, Oilers moving, entire existence of the Texans, Astros finally winning the WS only to be followed by the cheating scandal which tainted it in many people's eyes, Rockets for the last 25 years (it all started with ill advised dumping of their classic Clutch City uniforms for the cartoon pajamas uniform, now I have no idea what their uniform is), the MLS team having to change their original cool name that honored the rich history and independence of Texas for one that honors laundry detergent, and the city never being able to land an NHL team (despite being the 4th largest market in the US), etc.

I would definitely watch a Houston team in the NHL.

But they'll need a good name. I don't want anymore bullshit like "Texans" anymore. I'm used to "Texans" now, which I've grown used to, except when you add the word "embarrassment" to the whole aura of the team which isn't the fault of the name, but the people running the organization.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

And Houston teams, no matter how good they were, always seemed to run into a dynasty they couldn’t get past. Oilers couldn’t beat the Steelers, Rockets couldn’t beat the Warriors, Astros couldn’t get past the Braves. Just some really crap luck there.

Oh, and don’t forget to add Phi Slama Jama to the agony of defeat list, and the Joe Montana bullshit TD against UH in the Cotton Bowl.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I dont believe in curses....but Houston football teams certainly make it hard to argue against them.

It is for that reason I have no problem making jokes that we are cursed though. Far more likely we just have consistently bad owners and the rest of Murphy's law falls into place.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i guess it depends on your age the older people have just about given up thoes who were teenagers and kids in the 60's

but even me born in 85 its been up and down ... i think we need to blow up the astrodome and pay appesment to the fallen indian tribesmen buried underneath it and then build something else in its place

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Minus the Oilers AFL titles and playoff appearances. Minus the Bills game. You only have the back to back NBA titles to be happy about. The rest are cheating or something else stopping them from winning the big ones.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I’ll say Not cursed but definitely some horrible brain fart coaching at the worst possible times. G Lewis rolled the ball out, Eddy and Pardee went full turtle, yes some questionable ref calls in that game but still. I don’t blame Yeoman for Joe Cool, no replay with Renfro and PIT still whooped us. 80 and 86 Astros ran into a dominate PHI team and a coked up Mets team. The killer B teams NEVER had enough to get past great pitching.

2017 Astros...too much talent and PO road wins to say they won by stealing signs, no one could hear ANYTHING at MM Park during that run and they said as much because by then they had realized between signs beings complicated and the noise they had stopped it. Kershaw and none of the LA players heard any banging, nuff said. We took GM2 and 7 in Chavez so I could give a shiit what anyone else and the elite media thinks.

At some point you have to put away excuses and just whip someone’s ass and we’ve done very little of that when it mattered except for Dream and the gritty ass role players that made it happen for the city.

Chris Paul’s hamstring? No, either have a sharp shooter taking threes or quit hoisting them, 0-27 is pathetic.

Last edited:

txtx

Waterboy

But they'll need a good name. I don't want anymore bullshit like "Texans" anymore. I'm used to "Texans" now, which I've grown used to, except when you add the word "embarrassment" to the whole aura of the team which isn't the fault of the name, but the people running the organization.
YES! An NHL team would be awesome. When I lived in Dallas one year, that sport converted me to a Dallas Stars fan (only because there was no Houston team). It would at least give us a 4th franchise to diffuse bad times like these.

And as stated above, Detroit is much worse off overall. So is Cleveland, the LeBron title doesn't offset that more than the Rockets' back-to-back titles. It would be nice not to be in the conversations, tho. It's all bad ownership. Bob McNair was supposed to class things up.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

More likely than not they would be the Houston Aeros. That name has a long history in Houston and I’m sure Rockets ownership would adopt it if they finally land a team. BTW, unless something has changed I think the deal is only they can own an NHL team in that arena.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
YES! An NHL team would be awesome. When I lived in Dallas one year, that sport converted me to a Dallas Stars fan (only because there was no Houston team). It would at least give us a 4th franchise to diffuse bad times like these.
Everywhere I’ve lived where there is an NHL team in the market they’ve become one of the most popular franchises. I lived in Dallas during the late 90’s and once the Stars caught on they were drawing more than the Mavs.

Here the Lightning are the most popular team in the area. You see more Bolts stuff in the area than Rays and Bucs.

No Curse here mate, just folks who got to full on themselves.

TBH we need more football guys to be charge.

Great fans who paid for good football and no football guys to run the show.

Cal needs to get out of the way..........