Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Gronk Retires !!

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
My football IQ isn’t as high as some of y’alls, but Gronk being best ever seems a bit much since he benefited playing with GOAT Brady. Gronk, when healthy is one of the best, but even then would you take any of these 5 TEs over him?

Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Jason Witten
Travis Kelce
Shannon Sharpe

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Best TE of all time.

Maybe top 10 best players of all time.
My football IQ isn’t as high as some of y’alls, but Gronk being best ever seems a bit much since he benefited playing with GOAT Brady. Gronk, when healthy is one of the best, but even then would you take any of these 5 TEs over him?

Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Jason Witten
Travis Kelce
Shannon Sharpe
The only comparison that any of them has is in the passing game. Not a single one of them can even be mentioned in the same breath as far as blocking goes. No guy on that list had to be schemed for more by defenses than Gronk. Totally unguardable one on one. By far the best hands as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Best TE of all time.

The only comparison that any of them has is in the passing game. Not a single one of them can even be mentioned in the same breath as far as blocking goes. No guy on that list had to be schemed for more by defenses than Gronk. Totally unguardable one on one. By far the best hands as well.

You would think after last yr, posters would appreciate a GREAT blocking TE, but I guess not.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Lol, here we go
Let me take it even further for you.:fingergun:

Look at that man's post season numbers. Him and Edelman? Doesn't get any more clutch than those two guys.

Gronk was the Lynn Swann of TE's as well. Always made the biggest and most difficult catches in the big playoff games.

disaacks3

Staff member
I'd vote for Gronk on a HoF ballot. Hell, he's the greatest post-season TE in history.
But I'd never make him the best TE of all-time (much less Top 10 players overall).

I'll take this guy instead... http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40927752/
He talked of retirement at 33. But at 34, he caught 70 passes. At 35, he caught 80. This season, he was an absolute phenomenon. He’s 36 years old and he caught 93 passes.

Do you know how many receivers older than 35 have caught 93 or more passes in a season?

One. Just one. Tony Gonzalez. Not even Jerry Rice did it.
Gronk's high-water mark for receptions is 90. Tony G. eclipsed that 5 times...including the aforementioned 93 in his 16th seasons....with Elvis Grbac Trent Green Damon Huard Brody Croyle Tyler Thigpen & Matt Ryan throwing to him.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'd vote for Gronk on a HoF ballot. Hell, he's the greatest post-season TE in history.
But I'd never make him the best TE of all-time (much less Top 10 players overall).

I'll take this guy instead... http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40927752/
Gronk's high-water mark for receptions is 90. Tony G. eclipsed that 5 times...including the aforementioned 93 in his 16th seasons....with Elvis Grbac Trent Green Damon Huard Brody Croyle Tyler Thigpen & Matt Ryan throwing to him.
Tony G was nothing but a glorified receiver that rarely ever blocked anyone.

Teams never game planned for him like they have for Terminator, and Gronk still made circus catches with two guys hanging off of him.

Teams also never had to wonder what Gonzo was doing on every play when he was in motion, because they knew all he was going to be asked to do was to run routes. Gronk is an unknown on every play which makes it harder for the defenses to guess what the offense is doing based on formation and where Gronk is lined up. Dual threat TE's are like finding platinum in a world full of gold.

disaacks3

Staff member
Tony G was nothing but a glorified receiver that rarely ever blocked anyone.

Teams never game planned for him like they have for Terminator, and Gronk still made circus catches with two guys hanging off of him.

Teams also never had to wonder what Gonzo was doing on every play when he was in motion, because they knew all he was going to be asked to do was to run routes. Gronk is an unknown on every play which makes it harder for the defenses to guess what the offense is doing based on formation and where Gronk is lined up. Dual threat TE's are like finding platinum in a world full of gold.
Hate to break it to you, but Tony G. is likely the 2nd best blocker among the top TEs. I'd advise checking the Chiefs rushing vs. the league average during his career.

No need to denigrate Tony G., nor make absurd claims that nobody ever "game planned" for him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Product pitch man is where Gronk is going to make alot of $$$$.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gronk returns late in the yr to get ready for another run at a SB with BB/Brady. Gronk loves the game and is still great but his body wont hold up for a full yr. Plus it will give his body more time to heal.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'm of the star that shines brightest, not the longest, school. And no TE shined brighter than Gronk. He dominated games. Yes, he was injured. A lot. That's because he put his body on the line like no other TE. Sure, he had Brady. Rice had Montana and Young. Maybe Gronk would never have been Gronk had he played for the Browns. But, he played for the Patriots. And was unbelievable.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Best TE of all time.

You’re crazy as hell if u believe defenses weren’t scheming like hell for Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates. Those dudes were good for 70+ catches and 6-7 TDs year in year out..and were durable enough to deliver year in/out for 10+ years. Gronk really only did 1 thing better than all of them, but both of those guys were all around better at everything else.

I will give u Gronk is probably the most complete TE of all time...but that’s it. GOAT? Nah.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm of the star that shines brightest, not the longest, school. And no TE shined brighter than Gronk. He dominated games. Yes, he was injured. A lot. That's because he put his body on the line like no other TE. Sure, he had Brady. Rice had Montana and Young. Maybe Gronk would never have been Gronk had he played for the Browns. But, he played for the Patriots. And was unbelievable.
So that means u believe guys like Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson are your GOAT b/c none shined brighter than those guys in their 1st 4-5 seasons.

Consistency over a long period of time matters and the only thing Gronk was consistent in was missing at least a quarter of the season....and being a fake tough guy.

disaacks3

Staff member
2010 - (16) 10/6
2011 - (24) 17/7
2012 - (16) 11/5

Those are the TDs accounted for by Gronk And Hernandez

Next closest TE duo those years?

2010 - (12) Gates and McMichael 10/2
2011 - (12) Graham and Gilmore 11/1
2012 - (13) Graham and Thomas 9/4

I think the "Brady thing" is a tad understated, though I can appreciate the 'brightest star' point-of-view. Gronk had a 9 year career...same length of time as Kellen Winslow. He wasn't a flash in the pan by any means.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So that means u believe guys like Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson are your GOAT b/c none shined brighter than those guys in their 1st 4-5 seasons.
I didn't get to see Jim Brown, other than film clips. He looked like a man playing among boys. I stipulate that he's the greatest back ever. Earl, Eric, and OJ would be my next 3, in any order. They dominated the games they played. They were they the greatest I've seen with my own eyes.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Yeah as really heard he did not spend a dime on his contract and used it for endorsements. Retiring out on top. Good luck to him.