Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Grade Texans Defense After 2 Games"

The thread says grade "Defense" not offense
It's hard to quantify which side is responsible for the TOP problems.

The Offense is throwing which uses up less time, and they are having problems sustaining drives on a regular basis.

The Defense is permitting sustained drives which keeps them on the field. It doesn't really matter if their 3rd DN Conversion % is good if they allow too many 1st Dns on 1st or 2nd.

I think TOP indicates a team failure.

The good news is that we've played two good teams to within a touchdown WITH all of our problems. That bodes well if we don't lose hope.

So did the Colts. At least we get a mulligan on this season. The Texans have the talent to turn things around. 9 wins might win you the AFC south at this rate.

Why do they get a mulligan on This Season ?! That is so last year .... I can give OB and Co a pass on last year , could have accepted a losing season and probably would have preferred it to drafting where they did.

This year .... No mulligan. Not in year two when he's suppose to be righting the ship. Not when they have so much invested in the defense 8 first round & two second round picks along with the best defensive player on the planet in JJ Watt.

No , I cant give a guy a mulligan when he knew he needed a quarterback two seasons in a row and did next to nothing to solve the problem. Hell , he actually downgraded the position ..... going from Fitz (2-0) to Hoyer & Mullet.

The OL is also a hot mess .... and they did little to solidify that ... unless you count UDFA's and don't forget about running back ... Knowing Foster is injury prone all.

The honeymoon is over.

So did the Colts. At least we get a mulligan on this season.
Why do they get a mulligan on This Season ?! That is so last year .... I can give OB and Co a pass on last year , could have accepted a losing season and probably would have preferred it to drafting where they did.

This year .... No mulligan. Not in year two when he's suppose to be righting the ship. Not when they have so much invested in the defense 8 first round & two second round picks along with the best defensive player on the planet in JJ Watt.

The OL is also a hot mess .... and they did little to solidify that ... unless you count UDFA's and don't forget about running back ... Knowing Foster is injury prone all.

The honeymoon is over.

A mulligan in the simplest of terms that the Colts are also 0-2.

Hell , he actually downgraded the position ..... going from Fitz (2-0) to Hoyer & Mullet.

Nice logic. I cant believe that Seattle downgraded their QB position as well. Fitz (2-0) Wilson (0-2) .

Nobody respects the Texans secondary and the LBs are slow to react. They can double/triple team Watt and the rest of the defensive line seem to be magnetized to their blocker.

At this point, I'd have to grade them a D- for the first two games. Barely a passing grade, which is more than I can say for that failing offensive and special teams.
This is what jerks my chain. Clowney has gotten a little better on the edge, but zero push up the middle. I've been a huge fan of Wilforks, but unfortunately, this has been nothing more than a vacation for him. It pisses me off seeing dlinemen not winning one on ones when Watt id being dog-piled. Wilfork can do major damage up the middle....when he wants to

This is what jerks my chain. Clowney has gotten a little better on the edge, but zero push up the middle. I've been a huge fan of Wilforks, but unfortunately, this has been nothing more than a vacation for him. It pisses me off seeing dlinemen not winning one on ones when Watt id being dog-piled. Wilfork can do major damage up the middle....when he wants to

Everyone can play better next week. No exceptions or excuses. BUT, Wilfork has averaged about 3 tackles a game for his career and has 16 career sacks. His work doesn't show up the stat columns. His job has been stop the run and push/clog up the middle by forcing double teams. Just because JJ is getting doubled doesn't mean that Vince all of a sudden is going to become a pass rusher. But like everyone else on, he can play better.

Everyone can play better next week. No exceptions or excuses. BUT, Wilfork has averaged about 3 tackles a game for his career and has 16 career sacks. His work doesn't show up the stat columns. His job has been stop the run and push/clog up the middle by forcing double teams. Just because JJ is getting doubled doesn't mean that Vince all of a sudden is going to become a pass rusher. But like everyone else on, he can play better.
I don't care about stats and I know what his job is. The problem is, he's not doing his job any better than a Pickett or a Powe. No push up the middle and not demanding double teams is not doing his job.

I don't care about stats and I know what his job is. The problem is, he's not doing his job any better than a Pickett or a Powe. No push up the middle and not demanding double teams is not doing his job.

As I stated, like everyone else he can play better. I disagree with your assertion that he is on vacation and only plays when he wants to.

I don't why people are expecting Vince, 16 career sacks in 11 seasons, to be pressuring the pocket. He's the big run stuffer people have been crying for.
From preseason it looked like Covington would be the one to provide pressure on passing downs but I'm not sure he's even played.

The problem with Wilfork is that he should be playing 20-30 snaps a game and instead we have him playing 40-50. He's too old for that kind of work load. If Covington can't get healthy then we need to bring in a FA NT because Wilfork is not going to be effective when he's getting overworked.

Also, as for Simon, really hoping Clowney can get healthy quick so Mercilus can move to SOLB full time. Mercilus is a better edge setter and pass rusher. Simon is mediocre all the way around.

I don't why people are expecting Vince, 16 career sacks in 11 seasons, to be pressuring the pocket. He's the big run stuffer people have been crying for.
From preseason it looked like Covington would be the one to provide pressure on passing downs but I'm not sure he's even played.

True, but, a lot of the pre-season analysis about Wilfork was also that he would help collapse the pocket, which would flush the QB to the edges for Watt and Clowney to feast on sacks.

It's still early in the season, tho', and this defense still has a some time to gel into the formidable D that we were promised/hoped for.

The offense needs to put together some longer drives earlier in the game if they want/expect the defense to perform well in the 4th quarter. Those three and outs are killing us!

Covington played against Carolina for sure. I saw him in the game getting stonewalled by their guard a couple times.

But I think that they may have not been trying to rush as much from inside because of Cam.

I'm not expecting sacks. I want him to have the push up the middle that he did in NE. He's not being the run stuffer everyone expected. I like Wilfork, always have. I just think he can practically take over the middle of the trenches like we've seen in the past.

The wide stuff was working like a charm because they weren't protecting outside.

The bad news is that in a quest for a playoff booth, you had better be able to beat "good" teams.

Quest is the right word here as our hero is rarely the same person at the end.

There's a lot of growing that needs to be done. Let's hope OB is the right guy to lead us through.

The problem with Wilfork is that he should be playing 20-30 snaps a game and instead we have him playing 40-50. He's too old for that kind of work load. If Covington can't get healthy then we need to bring in a FA NT because Wilfork is not going to be effective when he's getting overworked.

Also, as for Simon, really hoping Clowney can get healthy quick so Mercilus can move to SOLB full time. Mercilus is a better edge setter and pass rusher. Simon is mediocre all the way around.

Covington is hurt? I must have missed that.

The defense has been very average. They've missed tackles because there aren't enough people around when a guy is in space. We have cbs being beat by no name guys and even te's. The pressure is inconsistent. Cushing and Joseph appear to be done. Team speed on offense and defense is still an issue. Its easy to blame the offense for leaving the field early and often, but its not like they have played an explosive offense. Still, they managed to give up big plays at the worse time.

TE's have been going absolutely nuts on us through the first two games. I think this is because Cushing can't cover anyone and our safeties aren't that good. I thought people didn't understand how the injury to Mohammad was going to affect this defense. The defense isn't making enough plays and combining that with the offenses inability to stay on the field and we see why we are getting way behind each game.

Back