Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Good Job Jabbar

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Just finished reading this mornings chronicle. Thompson tells of Jabbar, after scoring the TD, handing the ball to a fan wearing a Texan #8 jersey " who was surrounded by all of these Tennessee fans, I just wanted to give him that ball for showing us that kind of support".
Gotta be a memorable time for the Texan fan (and the teton fans also :hehe: ).
Wasn't one of our MB members was it?
Haven't read all the MB threads today so if this is a repeat, well, some things are just worth repeating. :thumbup

Jabar is definetly coming around as a receiver in this league and he has shown to be the ultimate team guy. Alot of people have given him alot of flack but that amount of people have become less and less around here. As far as being fan friendly, he has always been. When I was by the sidelines at a game last season, he made sure to waive at all fans that said hello to him on the sideline.

I think Gaffney's action yesterday was a reflection of this organization and the owner we have who makes sure that class guys play for this team.

Gaff is definetly coming into his own...I believe with the emergence of Derrick Armstrong and AJ's skills improving every game that barring injury we could end up with the strongest set of WR's in the AFC by the end of the year.

Gaff has proven himself as a cunning slot reciever with the knack for the soft grab. Glad to see he is starting to get his due.

J.G. is really starting to shine...kinda makes you look back and not regret us picking him up over Portis....at least so far this season. Portis is still one of the most productive backs this year but having Gaffney in the Houston's offensive mix has paid dividends. Here's to hoping it continues! :party:

He made an incredible catch for a TD Sunday. When I saw the pass, I was like, "Oh No! That's going to be a pick!". But than Gaff makes a great adjustment on the play and snatches the ball in front of the DB. GREAT JOB!

phan1 said:
He made an incredible catch for a TD Sunday. When I saw the pass, I was like, "Oh No! That's going to be a pick!". But than Gaff makes a great adjustment on the play and snatches the ball in front of the DB. GREAT JOB!

I was definitely holding my breath on that play. It has to be one of the best receptions of last week.

This a quick note on my take on how the offense has improved over the last couple years...

In the 1st two seasons when David would step back and launch a bomb heading downtown before the ball comes down to the receiver I would assume that it was going to be picked, batted, or off target and anything else was gravy.

This year my assumption is that if it's Armstrong or Gaff in single coverage we just moved into the redzone. If it's AJ with anything less than triple coverage I assume we just moved into the redzone or scored.

phan1 said:

That is exactly what I was seeing. Gaff made a great move on the ball. Good concentration and good hands. Where are all the Gaff haters now? I think he's solidified his spot as the #2 receiver on this team.

phan1 said:

That was a great catch, and the same thought was racing through my mind as well. However, I don't think that was even the best catch Gaffney made that game. Remember the catch he made down the sideline before running out of bounds? He beat his man and the safety too. Carr threw the ball a little too far ahead of him but Gaffney adjusted and caught the back half of the ball. If David had hit him in stride he might have gotten 20 more yds or even another TD. It was an amazing catch by him.

Gaffney made some awesome plays this week. His sideline grab showed me that he might have the best hands on the team. The TD pass showed me his ability to focus and adjust to the ball. We all said that Gaffney's emergence as the no.2 guy is very important for our offense and David Carr and so far he's been solid for us.

Between Armstrong and Gaffney, I would be hard pressed to say which has the better hands (probably Armstrong). The nice thing is that AJ has also improved conciderably in that area. All of them (except Bradford) can be pretty well counted on to make the catch. I am more than a bit dissapointed in Bradford. I thought with it being a contract year he would go gang busters. To be honest though, he hasn't been thrown to as much as I would have expected with him being the #2 and having real speed to burn teams with when they are doubling up AJ.

Gaff and Armstrong both have their strong suits. Armstrong has the edge when it comes to going up and getting the ball. He most definately has "ups". That high pass he caught from DC in the Titans game would've been an INT going for a TD the other way if not for Armstrong. Gaffney is more precise in his routes, and seems to read his defender better than Armstrong. That could just be to the larger amount of playing time for Gaffney as compared to Armstrong. It's also important to note that Armstrong usually makes his grabs while being covered by the other teams 3rd or 4th best CB, whereas Gaffney generally goes up against the 2nd or 3rd best CB. Occassionally he'll be covered by their best CB if they don't lock him on to AJ all game long. Bradford made a big catch in the Titans game, but he got hurt on the play. Hopefully he'll get going full tilt, and then our passing attack will be even more formidable.

edo783 said:
All of them (except Bradford) can be pretty well counted on to make the catch. I am more than a bit dissapointed in Bradford. I thought with it being a contract year he would go gang busters. To be honest though, he hasn't been thrown to as much as I would have expected with him being the #2 and having real speed to burn teams with when they are doubling up AJ.

Bradford had 1 drop last year. So far this year he has been targeted 17 times (64.7% reception rate) and has not been charged with any drops.

For comparison: Armstrong 20 targets, 1 drop 80% reception rate.
Gaffney 26 targets, 1 drop, 65.4% reception rate

infantrycak said:
Bradford had 1 drop last year. So far this year he has been targeted 17 times (64.7% reception rate) and has not been charged with any drops.

For comparison: Armstrong 20 targets, 1 drop 80% reception rate.
Gaffney 26 targets, 1 drop, 65.4% reception rate

I don't feel like looking the numbers up this time of night, but I remember those receptions versus targeted numbers are well above average. Obviously, these guys are not only getting open, but making the catches.

way it sounds by this thread.. Kudos to Kippy Brown and to the work ethic to our WR's that are willing to make themselves better... All of them

ArlingtonTexan said:
I don't feel like looking the numbers up this time of night, but I remember those receptions versus targeted numbers are well above average. Obviously, these guys are not only getting open, but making the catches.

I looked up just a few for comparison:

Randy Moss--39 targets, 1 drop, 66.7% reception
Marvin Harrison--44 targets, 3 drops, 65.9% reception
Isaac Bruce--61 targets, 2 drops, 63.9%
Terrell Owens--42 targets, 1 drop, 71.4%

AJ--60 targets, 2 drops, 55%

I think AJ's lower completion percentage comes from the 1st qtr's of the 1st few games--Carr came out stronger last week but is still 44% in the 1st qtr.
Keep in mind also that AJ has the longest yards per reception (17.9) in the AFC. Armstrong is pretty far up as well at 15.6. Bradford and Gaffney are solid at 14.8 and 13.9. Marvin Harrison is only averaging 10.2 ypr this year.

Also keep in mind that the only other WR there with 60 receptions is Isaac Bruce, and he has 2 drops too... only difference is he has one more reception.. which boosted his % up 8%.

Back