Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

General draft thoughts.

Liking the UDFA Jester Weah selection.
He's 6'2" and 211lbs so is very similar in size to Jaelen Strong.
Had a poor 2017 campaign which killed his draft stock but his QB play was less than desirable.
His previous season was quite good so if he can form a good rapour with DW4, he has a great opportunity to recapture his earlier form.
He runs a 4:43 and averaged 24 yards per over 13 games (2nd in the nation) in his jr year. Has strong hands and contests well in traffic but doesn’t have quick off the mark speed - however, 4.43 says he gathers by the end of the 40.
Fingers crossed he will be a real steal.

Last edited:
Liking the UDFA Jester Weah selection.
He's 6'2" and 211lbs so is very similar in size to Jaelen Strong.
Had a poor 2017 campaign which killed his draft stock but his QB play was less than desirable.
His previous season was quite good so if he can form a good rapour with DW4, he has a great opportunity to recapture his earlier form.
He runs a 4:43 and averaged 24 yards per over 13 games (2nd in the nation) in his jr year. Has strong hands and contests well in traffic but doesn’t have quick off the mark speed - however, 4.43 says he gathers by the end of the 40.
Fingers crossed he will be a real steal.
[QUOTE
For Pitt fans following the developments at the combine, Weah was the story of the day, as he finished among the top performers at his position in five of the showcase’s seven primary drills, posting a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, a 38-inch vertical jump, a 129-inch broad jump, an 11.88-second 60-yard shuttle and 15 bench-press reps.

Weah’s impressive 4.43-second 40 time tied notable prospects like Alabama’s Calvin Ridley and Clemson’s Deon Cain. It also bested the times of other big-name NFL hopefuls, like Notre Dame’s Equanimeous St. Brown and Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk, putting to rest any lingering concerns about the former Pitt receiver’s speed and solidifying his status as a top prospect.

In addition to exhibiting his quickness and athleticism, Weah also looked sure-handed in his catching drills, flawlessly running a gauntlet of seven short passes from his left and right and reeling in a deep pass from Western Kentucky quarterback Mike White
[/QUOTE]Mike Wilson SBNation
He avg 25 yards per catch in 2017 junior season and what I like is this last season despite three guys passing to him he caught 17 of 22 passes in middle of field from zero to 19 yards for total of 280 yards @ 16.5 yards per catch. PFF stats. 6'2" 211 and forty speed 4.43 and 38 " vertical? He's worth a preseason to see if he is a ST candidate. This track star looks like a gunner to me and would be interesting to see what he could learn with season or two in NFL.

For Pitt fans following the developments at the combine, Weah was the story of the day, as he finished among the top performers at his position in five of the showcase’s seven primary drills, posting a 4.43-second 40-yard dash, a 38-inch vertical jump, a 129-inch broad jump, an 11.88-second 60-yard shuttle and 15 bench-press reps.

Weah’s impressive 4.43-second 40 time tied notable prospects like Alabama’s Calvin Ridley and Clemson’s Deon Cain. It also bested the times of other big-name NFL hopefuls, like Notre Dame’s Equanimeous St. Brown and Texas A&M’s Christian Kirk, putting to rest any lingering concerns about the former Pitt receiver’s speed and solidifying his status as a top prospect.

In addition to exhibiting his quickness and athleticism, Weah also looked sure-handed in his catching drills, flawlessly running a gauntlet of seven short passes from his left and right and reeling in a deep pass from Western Kentucky quarterback Mike White
Mike Wilson SBNation
He avg 25 yards per catch in 2017 junior season and what I like is this last season despite three guys passing to him he caught 17 of 22 passes in middle of field from zero to 19 yards for total of 280 yards @ 16.5 yards per catch. PFF stats. 6'2" 211 and forty speed 4.43 and 38 " vertical? He's worth a preseason to see if he is a ST candidate. This track star looks like a gunner to me and would be interesting to see what he could learn with season or two in NFL.
Makes you wonder why teams did not pick him up in the draft - looks like he should have gone in the 4th to 5th rounds at least.
Possibly drugs or character issues? However, if that were so, I can't see Texans signing him so a real head scratcher as to why he fell off the board - especially after the combine.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder why teams did not pick him up in the draft - looks like he should have gone in the 4th to 5th rounds at least.
Possibly drugs or character issues? However, if that were so, I can't see Texans signing him so a real head scratcher as to why he fell off the board - especially after the combine.

Could be something us fans are not aware of like medical red flag or how he performed in team interviews of course. But only reason I can see is his performance dropped off dramatically when Peterman left and Pitt had QB issues. But Daesean Hamilton had similar issues at Penn St and went in the 4th round so who knows.

He's always been a clean cut young man. Medically, Weah did have a history of a ruptured ACL in his 3rd year of high school. But, what may have been more of a factor is the fact that his sports focus in both high school and college was track and basketball. He only really had 2 years of solid college football experience...........2016 was a pretty impressive year for him...........2017, disappointing. Some of his "poor" production had to be certainly fueled by the fact that he suffered through 3 starting QBS. However, drops were a significant part of the criticism...........especially disappointing, since numbers were significantly higher with longer passes, especially those passes >20 yds.

He's always been a clean cut young man. Medically, Weah did have a history of a ruptured ACL in his 3rd year of high school. But, what may have been more of a factor is the fact that his sports focus in both high school and college was track and basketball. He only really had 2 years of solid college football experience...........2016 was a pretty impressive year for him...........2017, disappointing. Some of his "poor" production had to be certainly fueled by the fact that he suffered through 3 starting QBS. However, drops were a significant part of the criticism...........especially disappointing, since numbers were significantly higher with longer passes, especially those passes >20 yds.
Thanks for that.
I remember A.J. had problems with drops in his rookie year but he certainly cured that.
I am obviously hopeful for this young man.

The known WR corps is strong enough to allow Weah to learn and we will see how new WR coach John Perry does with this group. Perry did well with our TEs in 2016 [Feido, Griffin and Anderson (rookie) had franchise history year]. I like having some low cost/risk players but concerned that it doesn't keep a more ready player from roster.

I saw that earlier, It looks more like a hype intro into what should then be a camp video/report.

I know he's been through hell and back, but we're sorely going to miss Patrick Starr this camp. Outside of his tweets and articles there isn't a lot of information that comes out of O'Brien's camps/activities. Huge void.

Get back soon Pat.

I saw that earlier, It looks more like a hype intro into what should then be a camp video/report.

I know he's been through hell and back, but we're sorely going to miss Patrick Starr this camp. Outside of his tweets and articles there isn't a lot of information that comes out of O'Brien's camps/activities. Huge void.

Get back soon Pat.
He tweeted yesterday too; looks like he could come back soon

Texans hope Terry Swanson is next Kareem Hunt
By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

May 12, 2018

Now, Swanson is trying to apply those lessons to his bid to make the Texans as a priority free agent.
As the understudy to Kareem Hunt at Toledo, Texans rookie running back Terry Swanson gained a best friend and a valuable mentor.

Swanson worked behind Hunt before Hunt went on to become a Pro Bowl running back with the Kansas City Chiefs as a rookie sensation last year.

He ranks fourth on the school all-time rushing chart with 3,601 yards.

"Just how to take care of my body, that was one thing, and I learned how to deal with linemen. You have to treat those guys off the field as well. Obviously, I took from his film study each and every day."

Swanson rushed for 1,363 yards and 14 touchdowns last season.

"I want to say a slasher," Swanson said of his running style. " Somebody who can break on a big play and somebody who can chew the clock a little bit, can catch out of the backfield."

The 5-9, 209-pounder has run the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times and posted a 31 1/2 inch vertical leap.

"I believe I do. Sometimes smaller schools don't get looked at as like that, but I believe you do have to have that chip on your shoulder and that's just where I come from, that's how I was raised."

A first-team All-Mid-American Conference selection, Swanson acknowledged he has extra motivation coming from a slightly smaller Division I program.

"I believe I do," Swanson said. "Sometimes, smaller schools don't get looked at as like that, but I believe you do have to have that chip on your shoulder and that's just where I come from, that's how I was raised."

The Texans actively recruited Swanson, hosting him for an official visit prior to the NFL draft.
THE REST OF THE STORY
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

His vision and ability to quickly cut into holes has been his forte. Unfortunately, he has not demonstrated playing strength that you would have hoped for after seeing his body build and bench numbers. In college, he would commonly go down on first contact.......more disturbingly, by the hand of only one tackler. His competition in the NFL, as compared to that seen by a small Division I school is probably a significant reason he went undrafted.

The Texans are probably hoping to have found another Arian Foster, or maybe more closely their own little "Bowling Ball" (Maurice Jones-Drew). This part of the year, we all hope and dream big.

I came across this interesting interview with Maurice Jone-Drew.............an insightful interview that Swanson would benefit by reviewing carefully.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

MJD scores without jersey
Jul 11, 2012

Why did you decide to pose for the Body Issue?
MJD: I wanted to show what I've been working with, I guess. I was a little nervous at first, but then once I got nude, I was good to go. I can see how people like to walk around nude in certain places. When the robe is on you are a little nervous, but after you take it off, it was just kind of ... whatever. I'm comfortable with my body and I'm not worried about what other people are going to say. It's not like I can change. Maybe I can work out a little bit more, but everything is God-given.

How does being a shorter back help you in the NFL?
MJD: I'm able to sneak up on people more. Football is a game of leverage, and I'm 5'7", so not too many people can get lower than me without leaving their feet. My legs are what I use as my strength. They are my source of power and I've based my game on being more explosive and being able to run away from guys. It's similar to Barry Sanders; I watched him play and tried to emulate his game. Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders opened the door for the shorter back, and I feel like I've built on that. I use my quickness to my advantage. I figure everyone wants to be 5'7". It's the new 6 foot. Look at Ray Rice, Steve Smith, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter -- a lot of people are starting to believe that at the running back position you don't have to be 5'11", 225 pounds. You can be any size and produce. I'm the smallest guy on the field, but people are terrified of me.

How do you go about lifting so you can hold your own on the field?
MJD: I do lunges, squats, single-leg work. I try to work every leg muscle to generate as much power as I can. The way I was trained as a running back was you run with the wide receivers and lift with the defensive linemen. That's what I did in high school and college. I can hold my own. They've got more power on the bench, but in my prime I've squatted more than 700 pounds. They don't look at me like I'm short after they see me do that.

What do you like about your body?
MJD: That I'm short, because fans can relate to it. It gives people hope that they can do anything. People tweet at me, "Man, I'm your size, I'm not big." I was never the biggest or fastest, but no one worked harder than me. So it's, If he can do it, why can't I? And I love that.

What challenges do you face with your body?
MJD: Weight gain is tough because I pack on pounds pretty easily compared to everybody else. But at the same time, that is something I can use. I can fluctuate and I'm able to get a little bigger for games against certain teams -- not saying 15 pounds, about 5. But I can use that to my advantage in a game against teams such as Baltimore or Pittsburgh, who are bigger and more physical.

Have you ever felt self-conscious about your body?

MJD: I've heard a lot of short jokes. But I've always been of the mindset that I can't do anything about my height; this is what God gave me, so there is no reason to be upset. If I were slow I could try to get faster, or if I couldn't catch I would work on that. So I figured out a way to make my size work. I played point guard in basketball and used my dribbling and quickness to my advantage. In track, I was quicker than everybody getting out of the block, so I'd break out so fast that they'd have to come catch me. In soccer, it was easy to control the ball because I was so low to the ground. In baseball your strike zone is only so big, so it's kind of like cheating. Honestly, I think almost every sport was made for small people. Except basketball -- but then there's Nate Robinson. I've never thought being short was a disadvantage and I try to express that to kids: Whatever you feel is your disadvantage is what you should try and make your advantage. Most people in this world aren't 6'8" or 6'4". But it's good. I'm telling you: 5'7" is the new thing.

What is the most difficult thing you put your body through?
MJD: Because I have short legs, long runs and 100-yard sprints kill me. I jog to keep my body in shape, but jogging a mile or two is the toughest thing I go through. In the offseason, I try to jog at least two or three times a week and do some type of cardio, elliptical or StairMaster or something.
THE REST OF THE STORY

I came across this interesting interview with Maurice Jone-Drew.............an insightful interview that Swanson would benefit by reviewing carefully.

Jul 11, 2012

MJD: I wanted to show what I've been working with, I guess. I was a little nervous at first, but then once I got nude, I was good to go. I can see how people like to walk around nude in certain places. When the robe is on you are a little nervous, but after you take it off, it was just kind of ... whatever. I'm comfortable with my body and I'm not worried about what other people are going to say. It's not like I can change. Maybe I can work out a little bit more, but everything is God-given.

MJD: I'm able to sneak up on people more. Football is a game of leverage, and I'm 5'7", so not too many people can get lower than me without leaving their feet. My legs are what I use as my strength. They are my source of power and I've based my game on being more explosive and being able to run away from guys. It's similar to Barry Sanders; I watched him play and tried to emulate his game. Marshall Faulk and Barry Sanders opened the door for the shorter back, and I feel like I've built on that. I use my quickness to my advantage. I figure everyone wants to be 5'7". It's the new 6 foot. Look at Ray Rice, Steve Smith, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter -- a lot of people are starting to believe that at the running back position you don't have to be 5'11", 225 pounds. You can be any size and produce. I'm the smallest guy on the field, but people are terrified of me.

MJD: I do lunges, squats, single-leg work. I try to work every leg muscle to generate as much power as I can. The way I was trained as a running back was you run with the wide receivers and lift with the defensive linemen. That's what I did in high school and college. I can hold my own. They've got more power on the bench, but in my prime I've squatted more than 700 pounds. They don't look at me like I'm short after they see me do that.

MJD: That I'm short, because fans can relate to it. It gives people hope that they can do anything. People tweet at me, "Man, I'm your size, I'm not big." I was never the biggest or fastest, but no one worked harder than me. So it's, If he can do it, why can't I? And I love that.

MJD: Weight gain is tough because I pack on pounds pretty easily compared to everybody else. But at the same time, that is something I can use. I can fluctuate and I'm able to get a little bigger for games against certain teams -- not saying 15 pounds, about 5. But I can use that to my advantage in a game against teams such as Baltimore or Pittsburgh, who are bigger and more physical.

MJD: I've heard a lot of short jokes. But I've always been of the mindset that I can't do anything about my height; this is what God gave me, so there is no reason to be upset. If I were slow I could try to get faster, or if I couldn't catch I would work on that. So I figured out a way to make my size work. I played point guard in basketball and used my dribbling and quickness to my advantage. In track, I was quicker than everybody getting out of the block, so I'd break out so fast that they'd have to come catch me. In soccer, it was easy to control the ball because I was so low to the ground. In baseball your strike zone is only so big, so it's kind of like cheating. Honestly, I think almost every sport was made for small people. Except basketball -- but then there's Nate Robinson. I've never thought being short was a disadvantage and I try to express that to kids: Whatever you feel is your disadvantage is what you should try and make your advantage. Most people in this world aren't 6'8" or 6'4". But it's good. I'm telling you: 5'7" is the new thing.

MJD: Because I have short legs, long runs and 100-yard sprints kill me. I jog to keep my body in shape, but jogging a mile or two is the toughest thing I go through. In the offseason, I try to jog at least two or three times a week and do some type of cardio, elliptical or StairMaster or something.
THE REST OF THE STORY
You want Swanson to be comfortable in the nude?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jul 11, 2012

THE REST OF THE STORY

He's more comparable to Steve Slaton than MJD to me. Kid would thrive in a Kubiak zone scheme.

One year starter of top production and plays at a position where players are a dime a dozen.

Why did Arian Foster go undrafted?

Injury, character concerns due to an arrest and "me first" attitude, and ball security problems.

Injury, character concerns due to an arrest and "me first" attitude, and ball security problems.

The guy was arrested after a fight in a club his 2nd year at Tennessee..he played 2 more seasons after that with no trouble with the law. I highly doubt that played a role.

He was short with reporters and had fumblitis during a injury riddled senior season though.

The guy was arrested after a fight in a club his 2nd year at Tennessee..he played 2 more seasons after that with no trouble with the law. I highly doubt that played a role.

He was short with reporters and had fumblitis during a injury riddled senior season though.

That arrest (06) combined with the disdain his college coaching staff had for him painted him as a character concern. The arrest wasn't the only factor (i didn't say it was) but it damn sure didn't help.

Injury was not a factor. His only significant injury last year was a "leg injury" for which he never missed a game..........in fact, following this injury, he finished off the year with 192 yd, 94 yd and 180 yd games.

In 3 years, in 45 games, he fumbled 5 times..........2 in 2015, 1 in 2016, and 2 in 2017............losing only 1 fumble in each of those years.

Injury was not a factor. His only significant injury last year was a "leg injury" for which he never missed a game..........in fact, following this injury, he finished off the year with 192 yd, 94 yd and 180 yd games.

In 3 years, in 45 games, he fumbled 5 times..........2 in 2015, 1 in 2016, and 2 in 2017............losing only 1 fumble in each of those years.

Wikipedia sucks. Thanks doc.

Feel like we didn't have a chance to do much of anything with the picks we had. Need to acquire some draft capital.

I think Gaine and O'Brien did an outstanding job "on paper" in regards to what they were working with coming into this draft

At this point, the Texans don't really possess any players with enough trade value to warrant worthwhile picks in return without trading premium players expected to make big impacts with the starting units. The 2019 will give the Texans 3 picks in the first two rounds. If this team pops 9-10 wins....those first 3 picks just became amazingly valuable in upgrading an already good team. If the team falls flat, those picks possibly represent trade back stock to pickup additional picks to fill as many holes as possible.

If I was making an early projection on the needs for the 2019 draft:

1. LT would be the first priority.
2. CB would be a close second.
3. RB
4. DE

You could scramble 2 thru 4 based on the BPA at any of those positions, but getting a stud LT has to be the top priority if LT is still viewed as a weak link after this season.

Feel like we didn't have a chance to do much of anything with the picks we had. Need to acquire some draft capital.
If you are talking trades..you're correct but if you are talking about quality at each pick I disagree. Safety Jordan Reed and
Rankins could possibly start before season over. Coutee should be slot WR game one and that position should be a strong weapon for Watson. Eji was thought by many to go much higher than round 6 and I think will be able to impact game when Watt and Clowney are on the line. Kalambayi is solid depth at both OLB and ILB.

For draft capital, if things go way I hope, Texans are able to trade Kareem Jackson and Lamar Miller for something before season over.

I think Gaine and O'Brien did an outstanding job "on paper" in regards to what they were working with coming into this draft

At this point, the Texans don't really possess any players with enough trade value to warrant worthwhile picks in return without trading premium players expected to make big impacts with the starting units. The 2019 will give the Texans 3 picks in the first two rounds. If this team pops 9-10 wins....those first 3 picks just became amazingly valuable in upgrading an already good team. If the team falls flat, those picks possibly represent trade back stock to pickup additional picks to fill as many holes as possible.

If I was making an early projection on the needs for the 2019 draft:

1. LT would be the first priority.
2. CB would be a close second.
3. RB
4. DE

You could scramble 2 thru 4 based on the BPA at any of those positions, but getting a stud LT has to be the top priority if LT is still viewed as a weak link after this season.
and what if those spots are resolved with what we have ? Wouldn't that be enticing to draft mockers?

and what if those spots are resolved with what we have ? Wouldn't that be enticing to draft mockers?

Bad boy, that would be awesome! The 2019 draft could be amazing in regards to keeping this relevant for several more years.

One year starter of top production and plays at a position where players are a dime a dozen.

Why did Arian Foster go undrafted?
Arrest + Fulmer ripped him to all 32 teams.

Foster was indeed arrested at 20 years old after a bar fight during his collegiate sophomore year. He was charged with disorderly conduct and underage consumption of alcohol. But I seriously doubt with 2 1/2 subsequent years of keeping his nose clean with the law, that this was a significant factor in his draft position.

Foster showed major fumbling issues during both of his last 2 years in college. Fumbling and injuries led to him riding the bench significant time during his senior year. In fact, his unrehabbed injuries resulted in a Combine 40 of 4.8.

If that wasn't enough, Foster had gained a widespread reputation in college as an egotistical ass.........an attitude that he carried into his first year with the Texans, leading him to not being allowed to play until the end of his rookie year............when he was forced into and reluctantly underwent an "attitude adjustmen " because he finally realized that his next stop was going to be out of the NFL.

Foster was indeed arrested at 20 years old after a bar fight during his collegiate sophomore year. He was charged with disorderly conduct and underage consumption of alcohol. But I seriously doubt with 2 1/2 subsequent years of keeping his nose clean with the law, that this was a significant factor in his draft position.

Foster showed major fumbling issues during both of his last 2 years in college. Fumbling and injuries led to him riding the bench significant time during his senior year. In fact, his unrehabbed injuries resulted in a Combine 40 of 4.8.

If that wasn't enough, Foster had gained a widespread reputation in college as an egotistical ass.........an attitude that he carried into his first year with the Texans, leading him to not being allowed to play until the end of his rookie year............when he was forced into and reluctantly underwent an "attitude adjustmen " because he finally realized that his next stop was going to be out of the NFL.

And as I recall he only played because we had quite possibly the worst RBs in the league. Resorting to such Texan blooper plays as the Chris Brown RB pass.

but to be fair his mother posted this MB as Tex-Mex momma the other side of the story.

I didn't know / don't remember that. I'll try and look it up when I get some downtime. Thanks.

I didn't know / don't remember that. I'll try and look it up when I get some downtime. Thanks.
I was on another msg board and indeed, same handle and seemed to be his mother so would not shock me at all if she was all over defending her young man

Back