Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 16... Top Off a Great Season... Jacksonville Jaguars!

We win the division with a loss if the Tacks-Nags tie. If we play to a tie, the Tacks-Nags might as well not play.

It's hard to run boots from the shotgun which is what the Texans run most of the time. I believe they use the shotgun to 1. Watson is most comfortable running from the shotgun. 2. Increase the odds of Watson staying healthy behind this crap OL.

Pretty smart idea if you ask me. Hopefully BOB lets him go in the playoffs. But recently despite terrible OL play BOB's offense has been putting up 30 a game, so I'm not sure how much more effective the offense can be. BOB's gotten as much out of this offense that he can. I mean this Sunday Watson will be throwing to Nuk/Carter/V. Smith and Blue will be the RB. What are your expectations pointwise for the Texans with these skill position players?

The end of the last two games when we needed a score, Watson has been dynamic. I wish he were let go more of the game.

Why??? The Jags are making vacation plans as we speak. They're not taking home extra film to study. Getting one more workout in. They're not trying to impress a coach who won't be here next year. And those who haven't checked out mentally will, when they see Bortles behind center.

Yes that's true but the Jags did exert enough effort to dispatch Miami this past weekend blowing up their P/O hopes and thereby sending them scurrying to the off season
and what's to prevent them from doing the same thing vs their division competitor ? I dunno maybe I worry too much ?

What are the odds that Shnake Shnortles comes out and saves his career with a great game against a banged up defense?

Yes that's true but the Jags did exert enough effort to dispatch Miami this past weekend blowing up their P/O hopes and thereby sending them scurrying to the off season
and what's to prevent them from doing the same thing vs their division competitor ? I dunno maybe I worry too much ?

I don't think it is worry. NFL players are not going to lay down just because it is the last game. They play hard because they don't want to be replaced by a Drafted Player or a Free Agent in the off season.

Why??? The Jags are making vacation plans as we speak. They're not taking home extra film to study. Getting one more workout in. They're not trying to impress a coach who won't be here next year. And those who haven't checked out mentally will, when they see Bortles behind center.
Say that when the Texans think like you and lose.

I don't think it is worry. NFL players are not going to lay down just because it is the last game. They play hard because they don't want to be replaced by a Drafted Player or a Free Agent in the off season.
Also, no matter what time of year it is or who is playing it human nature to want to win.

I think if there was still a chance we could miss the playoffs, Jax would be up for it. beating us only gives another division opponent the division crown.

Since there really nothing for them to spoil, I think the Jax players could care less and I see them mailing it in on Marrone and The Bortlesser duo for good.

HOU 27
Jax 10

In a game that we look surprisingly good on both offense and defense but detractors of BoB will still attribute it to ......u guessed it, Jax mailing it in.

Na, players care too much about their individual stats to just show up and look like absolute crap just because it’s the last game of the season. Players are still either auditioning for another team or in the hunt of that big money extension. I expect Bortles, along with the rest of the Jags, to show up and at least try to spoil our little plans. This game will not be a walk in the park, nor is it a given.

The longer J-ville stays close, the longer they'll try. And they will try at first. Gotta put this thing away early and make them fold.

Of course, losing the game could give them a top 5 pick. Winning could move them out of the top 10. So there's that too.

What? The Texans are playing for a division championship, a home playoff game, and a possible (though unlikely) 1st round bye. The Texans are in the opposite situation of Jacksonville. Your bizarro world logic makes my head spin.

My take.

Not necessarily bizarro logic , just memories of games past we were "supposed to win" but didn't.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I have never expected a win in a Texans game.

Do I always want them to win, of course. I also want my Irish to defeat Clemson but it's not very dam n likely.

:coffee:

I was hoping to make it to my first game this weekend, but **** happens. Too many expenses lately, and I couldn't afford the extra expense of two tickets and parking passes. Maybe one of these days.

What? The Texans are playing for a division championship, a home playoff game, and a possible (though unlikely) 1st round bye. The Texans are in the opposite situation of Jacksonville. Your bizarro world logic makes my head spin.
Yes while the Texans have more to play for I wouldn't be surprised if my bizzaro world logic comes back to bite the Texans in the butt. You may not see how this game could be playoff like in it's intensity but I see this game as coming back to bite us in the butt if our team is not ready to match the energy of a team they think is not all in to win. You are not incorrect in the importance of this game to our team but I can foresee us underestimating the fight in the dog they will be matching up against.

The longer J-ville stays close, the longer they'll try. And they will try at first. Gotta put this thing away early and make them fold.

Of course, losing the game could give them a top 5 pick. Winning could move them out of the top 10. So there's that too.
I don't think they will be thinking along those lines. We are a team who stands to gain more with a win and I am sure the Jags would love to play spoiler. A pick or two difference is not going to make that big of a difference to the Jags. If our team expects the Jags to throw this game the upset will for sure be more likely to happen. I expect the Jags to lay it all on the line for a win. I may be wrong and I hope I am but I think the Jags have plenty of pride and will want to end their season with a win.

This could be a game that mirrors a playoff game to some extent. I myself would not be surprised to see that take place.

Just 2 days to game time.
Let's hope miracles can happen and upsets can be had to give our Texans not only the division, but either a #2 seed and possibly even the #1 seed.
Go Texans!
Git'r Done!

My take.

Not necessarily bizarro logic , just memories of games past we were "supposed to win" but didn't.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Like you, I've been a Texan fan a long time. Since before they were called the Texans and had hired Casserly. And I can't remember the time when the Texans had a shot at the division championship, but blew it in the last game.

If you are including our time as an Oiler fan, then I remember all too well.

It's a meaningful division game at home... Texans ain't done so well in them situations
Not sure how to draw the distinction between meaningful vs. meaningless division games. But, O'Brien is 9-5 at home vs. division opponents. 3-1 against the Jags.

Whatever the outcome, the Jags are not going to lay down. As has been mentioned before, players will want to show their wares for 2019. In addition to that, the Jags will want to take a 2 game winning streak into next season as an incentive to regroup and continue the streak in 2019.

Of course the Jags are gonna come to play. Unfortunately for them... so are we. It’s NFL football. Nobody lays an egg for shits and giggles. Too much money to be made.

Yeah, don’t set yourself up to be let down brother. I’ve suffered numerous heartbreaks with this organization. Try not getting too attached and keep it as entertainment tv.

Its not just this franchise … the one before it was nothing but heartbreak too.

Twice losing to those Bleeping Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs …. Man those hurt me. 40 years later and there is still no team I despise more than the ****ing Steelers.

35-3 …. against some scrub backup QB who now coaches the Igles. Damnit I want to puke thinking about that bleepedy bleepedy bleeping game 25 years later. DAMNIT!

The Astro's not being able to get by the Braves …. how damn many times ?!

Even the Rockets last year … had GSW on the ropes with two close out games and double digit leads in both and couldn't get the job done.

Letdowns are just the story of Houston sports …. Maybe some day we'll kick that son of a b!tch in.

Twice losing to those Bleeping Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs …. Man those hurt me. 40 years later and there is still no team I despise more than the ****ing Steelers.

35-3 …. against some scrub backup QB who now coaches the Igles. Damnit I want to puke thinking about that bleepedy bleepedy bleeping game 25 years later. DAMNIT!

Yeah but Reich now coaches the Colts, which is even worse

The Astro's not being able to get by the Braves …. how damn many times ?!

Even the Rockets last year … had GSW on the ropes with two close out games and double digit leads in both and couldn't get the job done.

Letdowns are just the story of Houston sports …. Maybe some day we'll kick that son of a b!tch in.

The Astros and Rockets have kicked it in.

We're still waiting on the Texans and they're knocking on the door like a magazine salesman.

A pick or two difference is not going to make that big of a difference to the Jags.

Well, first off, I said I don't believe they come out in vacation mode. And there's a difference between playing hard and playing within the team construct to win. Their locker room has already been a mess this season so playing as a team just might not be in the cards for a relatively meaningless game for them.

Secondly, I don't know all the tie-breakers and how far back they'd go with a win, but they could have a record that equals the team at 13. Losing could get them in the top 5. I don't necessarily believe teams tank for draft position, but 4 or 5 to 13 is a little more significant than a couple of spots. Again, draft position being on their minds is very minor, if it's anything at all IMO, especially for the players. Just something I was throwing out there.

I think the Jags come out with a purpose, but if the Texans can get a quick 10-14 point lead on them, I think their focus as a team starts to diminish. Guys will still be playing hard, playing to win, but not as a team. If the Texans don't play down to their level, I could see a 24-7, 27-10 type game. In a perfect world a 35-10 lead in the 3rd and getting Watson in a baseball cap for a quarter plus would be great.

That means it'll probably be a 17-16 nail biter.

Of course the Jags are gonna come to play. Unfortunately for them... so are we. It’s NFL football. Nobody lays an egg for shits and giggles. Too much money to be made.
I am with you that our team will come ready to play but when the opponent has had a piss poor of a season as the Jags there is a tendency for the team to underestimate their opponent to some degree. I just hope our guys never let up and treat the whole game like a playoff game.

Whatever the outcome, the Jags are not going to lay down. As has been mentioned before, players will want to show their wares for 2019. In addition to that, the Jags will want to take a 2 game winning streak into next season as an incentive to regroup and continue the streak in 2019.
On top of that I think they will relish keeping us from winning our division.

Like you, I've been a Texan fan a long time. Since before they were called the Texans and had hired Casserly. And I can't remember the time when the Texans had a shot at the division championship, but blew it in the last game.

If you are including our time as an Oiler fan, then I remember all too well.

Didn't mean to imply that it was only division games they disappoint in, just the overall disappointment in many regular season games that they didn't play to capabilities.

I actually expected the Oilers, during the r & s era, to win many of the games they played. This is something I do not look forward to with the Texans. Lowered expectations is the norm.

We will always have the Luv U Blue memories.

This team currently has a good W / L record but I believe it is pyrite in reality.

I originally expected OBrien to become a great professional head coach. I've learned to lower my expectations in this regard also.

The Texans have some great fans, some on this site, but in reality I do not consider myself one of them.

Just a casual onlooker for now.

I don't necessarily believe teams tank for draft position, but 4 or 5 to 13 is a little more significant than a couple of spots. Again, draft position being on their minds is very minor, if it's anything at all IMO, especially for the players. Just something I was throwing out there.

If I were an Owner, I would tell the coach to "Play some young guys and let the Vets Rest". That isn't tanking.

Limping into this game is a recipe for a trap. I don't like the matchup. Wont be surprised to lose this game and then go on the road for the playoffs. Fournette can control the clock, and they have enough on defense to slow down OBriens offense.

JAX 16
HoU 13
Fournette isn't likely to play.

DvrYRtRU0AAAq8H.jpg

Back