Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 16... Top Off a Great Season... Jacksonville Jaguars!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Sunday, December 30th at 12:00 noon, the Texans will be at home at NRG Stadium against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The game will be aired on TV on CBS 11 and on radio on AM SportsTalk 610.

This is the last one of a great regular season. It has been allot of fun watching this Texans team. We have been on the edge of our seats at times. We have held our breath at times. We have yelled at the tv cursing O'Brien for a bad call at times. We have screamed our heads off watching a miraculous play by Watson at times. We have gasped at an incredible catch by Hopkins at times. It has been a season of ups and downs, but it has most certainly been the funnest year we've enjoyed from this Texans team. It culminates in this game going into the playoffs. The Texans against the Jaguars. The final game and home game of the regular season.
This game belongs to the Texans.
No matter the outcome the Texans are in the playoffs!
We'd still like a win here.

Go Texans!

Last edited:
Limping into this game is a recipe for a trap. I don't like the matchup. Wont be surprised to lose this game and then go on the road for the playoffs. Fournette can control the clock, and they have enough on defense to slow down OBriens offense.

JAX 16
HoU 13

We can win this game, but after losing to the Colts AT HOME, then losing to the Eagles, I have little to no faith in us closing the season out with a win. We’re playing against a backup QB and we all know our track record against backup QBs...

We can win this game, but after losing to the Colts AT HOME, then losing to the Eagles, I have little to no faith in us closing the season out with a win. We’re playing against a backup QB and we all know our track record against backup QBs...

I don't want to spoil your Christmas, BUT it appears we are going to be seeing the Colts again in Houston. We might even be flying to Indy if we lose this week. I don't see the Titans beating the Colts this week.

I don't want to spoil your Christmas, BUT it appears we are going to be seeing the Colts again in Houston. We might even be flying to Indy if we lose this week. I don't see the Titans beating the Colts this week.
Right. I’m expecting the same scenarios. We ain’t beating the Colts with these sorry ass cornerbacks of ours. I hope we hit on a couple of cornerbacks because we need them as much as, if not more than offensive line help.

If we lose we're more likely to be flying to Baltimore than Indy.

If we lose we're more likely to be flying to Baltimore than Indy.
I’m more comfortable with the team flying to Baltimore to face the Ravens than I am with them facing the Colts even if we’re to gave them here at home. The team couldn’t stop T.Y Hilton even if their lives depended on it.

I’m more comfortable with the team flying to Baltimore to face the Ravens than I am with them facing the Colts even if we’re to gave them here at home. The team couldn’t stop T.Y Hilton even if their lives depended on it.
Yeah, said the same in another thread...

Likely scenarios: if we beat Jags, it's home against Colts/Titans, followed by a road trip to NE. Lose and it's away to Baltimore followed by a road trip to KC.

I might actually prefer a road trip to Baltimore to a game against the Colts. BOB will never sanction putting enough points on the board to counter the late game Andrew Luck charge which inevitably happens. Colts will win it with the last possession as usual. Baltimore know less about us and it's a game we have a decent chance in.

I definitely prefer us at home to the Titans though, if they pull off a win against Indy, the victory against the Jags is a must.

What are you talking about?? According to ESPN playoff tracker we can still get the 1 seed. After our win all we need is jets over ne, Denver over chargers, and raiders over chiefs. Piece of effin cake.

No great season, we should have wrapped it up long ago, but we'll take it. We slink in the back door with our tail tucked between our legs. We take the division by the tail of our coats. Houston 20, Jerksonville 14.

This season is ending with us playing our worst football of the season

Pass defense has been getting gashed the past month
Run game has went bye bye and Watson is holding the ball and getting sacked 3-4 times a game.

We have lost our mojo at the worst possible time and it seems teams have figured us out and have exposed our lack of good CB/Pass protectors.

Week 17 is finally here. This will cap a very surprising season, in so many ways.....some negative and some positive. The biggest question in this game, will OB adjust his offensive gameplan while eliminating his predictability? If OB surprises the Jags by starting with a short but quick hit passing attack, he could set up the run to exploit a Jags defense which has been extremely weak defending the run this season. OB cannot come into this game in predictable mode b/c it will simply set the Jags up for confidence.....then victory.

OB needs to get the lead early and then allow the defense to eat the backup QB up.

Week 17 is finally here. This will cap a very surprising season, in so many ways.....some negative and some positive. The biggest question in this game, will OB adjust his offensive gameplan while eliminating his predictability? If OB surprises the Jags by starting with a short but quick hit passing attack, he could set up the run to exploit a Jags defense which has been extremely weak defending the run this season. OB cannot come into this game in predictable mode b/c it will simply set the Jags up for confidence.....then victory.

OB needs to get the lead early and then allow the defense to eat the backup QB up.
Yeah, don’t set yourself up to be let down brother. I’ve suffered numerous heartbreaks with this organization. Try not getting too attached and keep it as entertainment tv.

Yeah, don’t set yourself up to be let down brother. I’ve suffered numerous heartbreaks with this organization. Try not getting too attached and keep it as entertainment tv.

Preaching to the choir my friend.....been a Oilers / Texans fan since 1969, the year my Dad retired from the Army and they took us to Houston to live. Been waiting since 69 for my really "up" season. Houston professional football will thicken any fans skin.

I think if there was still a chance we could miss the playoffs, Jax would be up for it. beating us only gives another division opponent the division crown.

Since there really nothing for them to spoil, I think the Jax players could care less and I see them mailing it in on Marrone and The Bortlesser duo for good.

HOU 27
Jax 10

In a game that we look surprisingly good on both offense and defense but detractors of BoB will still attribute it to ......u guessed it, Jax mailing it in.

Hopkins has also been MAGNIFICENT :shades:

True. I didn't include him because I figured since 2003 the Texans thru all their ups and downs have had a magnificent receiver. So that hasn't differentiated any particular season. Watson in/out is dramatically different.

We all saw the Eagles game and the lack of defense in the back end We put up 30 points and LOST. In my opinion the only way we win this game and have ANY shot at success in the playoffs is for OB to go into the games as if we’re already down by 14. None of the predictable running up the middle on first down. Turn the offense loose. My two cents.

I get the negativity. The Texans lost last Sunday. But, there’s no way this team will lose to Jacksonville this Sunday. Not going to happen. The Texans defense has struggled versus the pass recently. But they are numero uno in yards allowed per rush. What does Jacksonville do? Run the football. What can’t they do? Pass the football.

Come on, man.

I think despite the clinched playoff spot this is a must win and you gotta hope that the Jets manage to knock off the Patriots so that the bye gets put back on the table. New England isn't the juggernaut that they've been in the past and New York is improved. If they can finish with a spoilers eye and the Texans don't just completely shut it down they could still manage a bye week and they need it badly.

More likely though is an outright embarassment at the hands of the Jags who will be playing to spoil the Texans playoff run and the Jets will probably sleepwalk through their game thinking about the long vacation they have coming. Texans back into the playoffs and either lose the division outright when Indianapolis wins their game against the Titans then we get "TY'd" again in the playoffs by the Colts or some other first round massacre. Trip to the slaughter in Baltimore maybe?

Last edited:
Based on the magnificence of one player, not because of the smarts of one coach. Watson did the same last year.

It’s never the smarts of the HC which is what you head cases cant seem to grasp.

Jimmy Johnson wasn’t out there throwing, catching and running the ball lol.

I think despite the clinched playoff spot this is a must win and you gotta hope that the Jets manage to knock off the Patriots so that the bye gets put back on the table. New England isn't the juggernaut that they've been in the past and New York is improved. If they can finish with a spoilers eye and the Texans don't just completely shut it down they could still manage a bye week and they need it badly.

More likely though is an outright embarassment at the hands of the Jags who will be playing to spoil the Texans playoff run and the Jets will probably sleepwalk through their game thinking about the long vacation they have coming. Texans back into the playoffs and either lose the division outright when Indianapolis wins their game against the Titans then we get "TY'd" again in the playoffs by the Colts

They're going to get TY'ed regardless of where that game is played. Best hope is somehow the Tacks beat the Colts.

I think if there was still a chance we could miss the playoffs, Jax would be up for it. beating us only gives another division opponent the division crown.

Since there really nothing for them to spoil, I think the Jax players could care less and I see them mailing it in on Marrone and The Bortlesser duo for good.

HOU 27
Jax 10

In a game that we look surprisingly good on both offense and defense but detractors of BoB will still attribute it to ......u guessed it, Jax mailing it in.

This is what I see, of course The Houston Watson's lead by Jesus in cleats will win this game and if they dont then everything will be BOB's fault. Regardless if they score 50 points or 3 points.

The Texans have no business losing this game. If they lose, I'll lose all of the respect I have gained for BOB this season.

As bad as our secondary has been, Kessler still shouldn't be able to throw on us. Everyone has been stopping Fournette, and we should be no different. Jax D is good against the pass, but vulnerable to the run. We should be able to move the ball enough on them to put this game out of reach early.

Texans 23
Jags 6

Based on the magnificence of one player, not because of the smarts of one coach. Watson did the same last year.
3-3 last year with Watson at the helm isn’t us having one of the most successful seasons. Watson’s been a godsend and could be the solution at QB but there’s a -lot- of things happening this year that’s elevating us to a new level. Signing Matthieu, drafting Reid, moving KJax to safety for instance. I know so many of y’all are upset at our defense right now but let’s be honest, we all know Watson’s been handcuffed since the Dallas game.

3-3 last year with Watson at the helm isn’t us having one of the most successful seasons. Watson’s been a godsend and could be the solution at QB but there’s a -lot- of things happening this year that’s elevating us to a new level. Signing Matthieu, drafting Reid, moving KJax to safety for instance. I know so many of y’all are upset at our defense right now but let’s be honest, we all know Watson’s been handcuffed since the Dallas game.

They were .500 with a basically untrained rookie. 1 and 9 or .11 without. That's elevating a team. Even 8-8 to 10 or 11 wins seems a lot less miraculous than 4 to 10 or 11. OB was gone last year imo without the promise of Watson and "look at what OB did with him" and now we're back to OB ball.

Put an OB QB on this team and we're missing the playoffs again. Steelb was mocking but this should be called the Leashed Watson Texans.

May I introduce you to the Jaguars' QB for next game. It will be Bortles’ first start since he went 12-of-23 for 127 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions in a Week 12 loss to the Bills. He was 5-of-6 for 39 yards and ran for 25 yards after coming off the bench against the Dolphins last week.

Here's how I'd play it. On offense, Hopkins on 1 side and Smith on the other with Carter in the slot. Use 2 tight end sets, when necessary, for blocking and short passes. Use Foreman or Blue in the running game and short passes. Should the Texans get up by a lot, pull Hopkins from the game at half time and go to Carter and Smith as the wide outs and rely on the short passing game to the tight ends and backs out of the back field. All don't have to be on the field at the same time. Use different combinations of the skilled players to keep the Jags defense off balance.
On defense, Romeo should go with Wright on 1 side and Jackson on the other with Hal, Mathieu and Reid in at safety. Bring in Colvin to cover slot on situational plays.
Of course, use Watt, Reader and Covington on the line and Mercilus, Clowney and McKinney as the linebackers with Cole and Cunningham coming in for situational downs.
Keep Miller, Coutee and Joseph out of the game to heal up and get ready for the playoffs.
The line should have all of their young, healthy guys in and keep the banged up players off the field.
The Texans need to heal up and be ready for the playoffs.
Double cover the tight ends with a linebacker underneath and safety over the top. Man up with a corner on their best receiver and have a safety over him for double coverage as well.
Zone scheme the rest of the receivers and any back coming out of the backfield.
Bortles is beatable in the passing game and contain Fournette in the running game. Throw in some exotic blitzes often to keep their line off balance and confused and unable to protect Bortles.
The Texans can take this game and head into the playoffs with some renewed confidence.
Run the hell out of the ball and wear their defense out, but mix it up with passes on first and second down. Just don't try to use the run to start every new series.
Stop their running game and make them 1 dimensional and they won't be able to keep up with Watson.
The Texans can do it.

I get the negativity. The Texans lost last Sunday. But, there’s no way this team will lose to Jacksonville this Sunday. Not going to happen. The Texans defense has struggled versus the pass recently. But they are numero uno in yards allowed per rush. What does Jacksonville do? Run the football. What can’t they do? Pass the football.

Come on, man.
Wow such confidance and you make it sound so logical. I like it !

Wow such confidance and you make it sound so logical. I like it !

If we don't beat the Jags it's all been smoke, mirrors and the ephemeral year of the lucky turnover battle. The latter is truly luck & fleeting. Neil O'Donnell doesn't throw to an imaginary pink elephant in a Pittsburgh jersey in '95 the Cowboys lose that SB.

Reactions: JB
We all saw the Eagles game and the lack of defense in the back end We put up 30 points and LOST. In my opinion the only way we win this game and have ANY shot at success in the playoffs is for OB to go into the games as if we’re already down by 14. None of the predictable running up the middle on first down. Turn the offense loose. My two cents.
Lately our running game has been little to no threat at all. However with a lot of short passes and screens we can to an extent use the passing game as a running game. We will have to try to run a little early in the game just to see if it is possible. While using the passing game as a sort of run game may work for a while there is no real replacement for a running game that is working. We have seen how it opens up things via the play action pass.

The Jags have a lot to play for. I am sure they would love to play spoiler to our division title hopes and our playoff seeding. I am sure they also would love to win their final game of the season to go into their off season feeling better about their future.

If our guys play inspired football they can win but if they take the Jags lightly and overlook them they will for sure lose. I see the Jags trying to prove that they are better than the wasted season they had. I think they are and we need to prove to them and the other teams entering the playoffs that we are for real and will be hard to handle.

The Jags have a lot to play for.
Why??? The Jags are making vacation plans as we speak. They're not taking home extra film to study. Getting one more workout in. They're not trying to impress a coach who won't be here next year. And those who haven't checked out mentally will, when they see Bortles behind center.

They were .500 with a basically untrained rookie. 1 and 9 or .11 without. That's elevating a team. Even 8-8 to 10 or 11 wins seems a lot less miraculous than 4 to 10 or 11. OB was gone last year imo without the promise of Watson and "look at what OB did with him" and now we're back to OB ball.

Put an OB QB on this team and we're missing the playoffs again. Steelb was mocking but this should be called the Leashed Watson Texans.

Gotta do whatever it takes to keep Watson healthy this yr behind this OL. Maybe let him go in the playoffs.

Fix the OL in the offseason and turn Watson loose.

Why??? The Jags are making vacation plans as we speak. They're not taking home extra film to study. Getting one more workout in. They're not trying to impress a coach who won't be here next year. And those who haven't checked out mentally will, when they see Bortles behind center.

I hope your right and Marrone gets let go and becomes the Texans OL coach.

Gotta do whatever it takes to keep Watson healthy this yr behind this OL. Maybe let him go in the playoffs.

Fix the OL in the offseason and turn Watson loose.

Failure to call boots & stretch run plays is not protecting your QB.

Seriously, we have called double fake keepers 12+ times this season. Does that crap work outside of madden? And it takes time and receivers out of routes. You just took 2 receivers out and 2 seconds for the OL to get pummeled. That is not protecting Watson.

Failure to call boots & stretch run plays is not protecting your QB.

Seriously, we have called double fake keepers 12+ times this season. Does that crap work outside of madden? And it takes time and receivers out of routes. You just took 2 receivers out and 2 seconds for the OL to get pummeled. That is not protecting Watson.

It's hard to run boots from the shotgun which is what the Texans run most of the time. I believe they use the shotgun to 1. Watson is most comfortable running from the shotgun. 2. Increase the odds of Watson staying healthy behind this crap OL.

Pretty smart idea if you ask me. Hopefully BOB lets him go in the playoffs. But recently despite terrible OL play BOB's offense has been putting up 30 a game, so I'm not sure how much more effective the offense can be. BOB's gotten as much out of this offense that he can. I mean this Sunday Watson will be throwing to Nuk/Carter/V. Smith and Blue will be the RB. What are your expectations pointwise for the Texans with these skill position players?

It's hard to run boots from the shotgun which is what the Texans run most of the time. I believe they use the shotgun to 1. Watson is most comfortable running from the shotgun. 2. Increase the odds of Watson staying healthy behind this crap OL.

I'm sure you do because you are in full on OB defense mode. Any Boots work fine out of shotgun. If Kubiak can do it with a sloth OB should be able to with a cheetah.

That's what this comes down too. We had this, sorry Doc, ridiculous ideal Kubiak QB argument made against Watson. Schaub fell far less. Ailing Manning & Osweiler even less. He adapted, he overcame.

Oh, and any offensive guru who can't get his QB under center needs to be fired. OB wants to run 1st. FU@KING PUT HIM UNDER CENTER SOMETIMES. He has a great play fake.

Pretty smart idea if you ask me. Hopefully BOB lets him go in the playoffs. But recently despite terrible OL play BOB's offense has been putting up 30 a game, so I'm not sure how much more effective the offense can be. BOB's gotten as much out of this offense that he can. I mean this Sunday Watson will be throwing to Nuk/Carter/V. Smith and Blue will be the RB. What are your expectations pointwise for the Texans with these skill position players?

30 mintes scored in 10 minutes is far less effective than 30 scored in 40. Pretty simple and you knew that.

Full on OB defense.

I'm sure you do because you are in full on OB defense mode. Any Boots work fine out of shotgun. If Kubiak can do it with a sloth OB should be able to with a cheetah.

That's what this comes down too. We had this, sorry Doc, ridiculous ideal Kubiak QB argument made against Watson. Schaub fell far less. Ailing Manning & Osweiler even less. He adapted, he overcame.

Oh, and any offensive guru who can't get his QB under center needs to be fired. OB wants to run 1st. FU@KING PUT HIM UNDER CENTER SOMETIMES. He has a great play fake.

30 mintes scored in 10 minutes is far less effective than 30 scored in 40. Pretty simple and you knew that.

Full on OB defense.

Oh I forgot everything is Kubiak an avg .500 HC in your world.

I believe in putting rookie QB's in positions they're most comfortable with because that gives them the opportunity to succeed.

I asked before and I will ask again, how many pts does BOB have to put up each week for YOU to consider him to have had a successful week? Obviously 30 isn't enough. 40 pts? 50 pts? And he's doing this with a bunch of late rd picks and UDFA skill position players. Remind you of another HC that you cant let go of?

Oh I forgot everything is Kubiak an avg .500 HC in your world.

Please keep demonstrating your ignorant bias. Kubiak is .522 and a ring. Verneil is .524 and 2. Jimmy Johnson was .556 and has 2.5. Couldn't make shyte out of the 2nd team. Anyone not wilfully obtuse knows this kind of thing.

Sorry to distract you from your OB obeyance.
lvjobu24s.jpg

From what I'm hearing, Tyson, who many have been asking about..........will he be used outside of the STs.............is likely to gain additional play time...............due to battered condition of the secondary...........we are likely to see him not as a CB, but at safety (he was actually drafted at that position which he played throughout his time at Cincinnatti, but was then quickly converted to CB by the Seahawks).

Last edited:
Back