Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 10...Win The Trenches...Baltimore Ravens!

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
On Sunday, November 17th at 12:00 pm CST, the Texans will be in Baltimore at M&T Bank Stadium to face off against the Ravens. The Game will be aired locally in Houston on TV on CBS 11 and on radio on Sports Radio 610 AM.

After a week of rest, the Texans will be getting some key pieces back into the fold and will have had time for the coaching staff to scout the Ravens very well to formulate a good game plan. It's a very good time for the Texans to get healthy and be ready for the last half of the season. Now it's time to start showing the rest of the league that Deshaun Watson and this Texans offense is for real, and that the Texans defense can stand up to any offense. This game is a big test for this Texans team.

Here are your 2 teams.

Your Houston Texans
Offense

Defense

Special Teams

The Baltimore Ravens
Offense
WR Marquise Brown, Willie Snead IV, Chris Moore, De'Anthony Thomas
WR Miles Boykin, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott
LT Ronnie Stanley, James Hurst
LG Bradley Bozeman, Patrick Mekari, Ben Powers
C Matt Skura, Bradley Bozeman, Patrick Mekari
RG Marshal Yanda, James Hurst
RT Orlando Brown Jr., James Hurst
TE Nick Boyle, Mark Andrews, Hayden Hurst
QB Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin III, Trace McSorley
FB Patrick Ricard
RB Mark Ingram II, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill

Defense
DT Brandon Williams, Patrick Ricard
NT Michael Pierce, Daylon Mack
DE Chris Wormley, Zach Sieler
RUSH Jaylon Ferguson, Jihad Ward, Ufomba Kamalu
MLB Josh Bynes, Chris Board
WLB Patrick Onwuasor, L.J. Fort
SAM Matthew Judon, Tyus Bowser
LCB Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters, Anthony Averett
SS Chuck Clark, Anthony Levine Sr.
FS Earl Thomas III, Bennett Jackson, Jordan Richards
RCB Brandon Carr, Jimmy Smith, Cyrus Jones

Special Teams
P Sam Koch
K Justin Tucker
H Sam Koch
LS Morgan Cox
KOR Chris Moore, Justice Hill, Willie Snead IV, De'Anthony Thomas
PR Cyrus Jones, Willie Snead IV, De'Anthony Thomas, Marquise Brown

Sorry guys. The Ravens official team web page doesn't provide a depth chart in grid form with embedded links to each player like the rest of the league. Maybe they're behind the times and need to catch up. Who knows?

Ok. Going into this game, the Texans need to be focused on keeping the ball out of Lamar Jackson's hands. That means long, sustained drives that eat up clock and end in a score on offense, touchdowns preferably.
Watson needs to attack the weakness of the Ravens defense. The secondary. Hit them in the intermediate areas first and then hit them deep. That will pull the defense off the line of scrimmage and open up the running game for Duke and Carlos. Fells and Akins will be extremely important in not only blocking for the backs, but in using their size to block out defensive backs and line backers and their hands to catch the ball and keep drives going. Should Fuller return, the outside threat in the passing game just gets even more dangerous. Him, Hopkins, Stills and Coutee could have big days in this game against an even more suspect secondary then the Texans have. The offensive line will get a huge boost getting Tunsil back. They need to dig in hard and open up running lanes in the running game and protect Watson in the passing game.
Now on defense, the Texans need to practice lane discipline like they would on punt and kick off returns. Sealing the edges and funneling Lamar back into the pocket will be critical, and when they do, the linebackers need to plug the gaps and give him no space to get through. Force Lamar to play in the pocket. Don't give up the big runs to this guy and get to him before he can take off. When he starts getting hit and can't run, he gets frustrated and starts making mistakes. With Roby back, he and Conley could be a dangerous corner tandem along with Johnson and Joseph. With Reid, Gipson and Addae backing them up deep, it could be very hard for Lamar to pass the ball. The defense needs to get off the field and get the ball back to the offense as much as possible.
It's going to be much easier said then done. This game is going to be a war. These 2 teams always play an exciting, hard hitting, glorious game. The winner will likely get it on the last drive to win a thriller. I think it will be the Texans just by virtue of having the better passing game, a more efficient quarterback in Watson and more weapons for Watson to use. This game will have to be won at the line of scrimmage, won in the trenches. Protect Watson, open up running lanes and get to Jackson.

Torros 27
Birds 24

GO TEXANS!!!

Last edited:

DanielTx

Veteran
I think the game plan is quite simple. Stop the run by any means. Play man to man. Make Lamar beat you with his arm. Make him take deep shots, he’s not considered a good deep thrower.

Raven fans are scared ****less. They haven’t faced anyone like Watson. Brady, baker, ? lol. might come down to whoever has the last possession

35-38 Texans

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Anyone worried winning at Baltimore will balance with them winning at houston in playoffs?
Not really. Should the Texans win this game, it goes toward deciding playoffs seeding and if the Texans and Ravens go into the playoffs with a tied record, the Texans get the advantage by tie breaker should they win this game. I think that once the playoffs get here, Watson will become even more of the Championship player. He won his high school championship as a second year starter after suffering an injury his sophomore year. He went to 2 college championships and won the second year after sitting out most of his freshman season with a knee injury. That would make him a second year starter. This will be his legitimate second season as the starter after being out most of his rookie year with a knee injury.
Basically, it means that if Deshaun Watson continues his progression, this should be a year he gets to a Super Bowl and possibly leads the Texans to a win. We shall see.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think the game plan is quite simple. Stop the run by any means. Play man to man. Make Lamar beat you with his arm. Make him take deep shots, he’s not considered a good deep thrower.

Raven fans are scared ****less. They haven’t faced anyone like Watson. Brady, baker, ? lol. might come down to whoever has the last possession

35-38 Texans
Our defense better not give up 35 points

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Look the Ravens are good, but if we force Jackson to beat us with his arm IMO he can't. He is not the best passer, but his legs are the reason he is successful. Which is why I am a bigger Watson fan, the boy has one hell of an arm, and has an amazing deep ball. Which will be the reason he has a longer career than Jackson. TBH we most likely lose in Baltimore...... but the homer in me says we win 34-28.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

35-38 Texans

Not a good deep ball ? You must not have been watching him ….30+ completions of 20 or more , 6 of 40 or more yards - both are above league average and incidentally the exact same total that Watson has 29/7. I guess Watson isn't a good deep thrower either is he ?

He only has 168 completions for the year so that 36 completions of 20+ equates to better than one in every 5 (.214) completions being a big play. Watson …. (.169)

His overall completion percentage is higher than …. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Not a good deep ball ? You must not have been watching him ….30+ completions of 20 or more , 6 of 40 or more yards - both are above league average and incidentally the exact same total that Watson has 29/7. I guess Watson isn't a good deep thrower either is he ?

He only has 168 completions for the year so that 36 completions of 20+ equates to better than one in every 5 (.214) completions being a big play. Watson …. (.169)

His overall completion percentage is higher than …. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.
Those stats are deceiving, while he scrambles LBs and CBs come towards the line of scrimmage leaving the middle of the field open. I wonder how many of those "long" completions were dump offs turned into big gains by the WR, TE, or HB.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Those stats are deceiving, while he scrambles LBs and CBs come towards the line of scrimmage leaving the middle of the field open. I wonder how many of those "long" completions were dump offs turned into big gains by the WR, TE, or HB.
You can probably find a NextGen chart that will answer that. Big plays are big plays. If they come about because of his threat to run, then that’s something that has to be accounted for. It isn’t any different than Watson scrambling and making big plays. That’s part of their games.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

To be fair most "experts" don't believe Watson is a good deep thrower. Oh course these days its hard to find any QB get praised that isn't followed by "but Mahomes does it better".

Omerta

Waterboy
Being honest, not a lot. Most of them are to Marquise Brown or Mark Andrews. You will see Sunday but the not a good thrower of the football is a myth this year, that was created last year. They are not the same Lamar Jackson. Just last week he threw an absolute dime, down the field, perfectly in stride, over the shoulder throw. Nobody in the league could have made that throw any better.

I'm not saying he is on Brees or Rodgers level, but I think he might surprise you. Maybe not though ,who knows.

Last edited:

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
Being honest, not a lot. Most of them are to Marquise Brown or Mark Andrews. You will see Sunday but the not a good thrower of the football is a myth this year, that was created last year. They are not the same Lamar Jackson. Just last week he threw an absolute dime, down the field, perfectly in stride, over the shoulder throw. Nobody in the league could have made that throw any better.

I'm not saying he is on Brees or Rodgers level, but I think he might surprise you. Maybe not though ,who knows.
I agree he has played very well this year, and I watched his first half season highlights. He has thrown the ball well, I just personally feel that when the time comes where the legs aren't there anymore and he has to rely on his arm he won't be near as effective. But hey he's still young and has a lot of football in front of him.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
You can probably find a NextGen chart that will answer that. Big plays are big plays. If they come about because of his threat to run, then that’s something that has to be accounted for. It isn’t any different than Watson scrambling and making big plays. That’s part of their games.
While I agree, I feel Watson can be an effective passer even if he isn't as mobile as he is now.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Maybe I'll be the only one of those predicting a loss to give a score. While it would be nice to see a murder of crows, we can't realistically expect to win this one. We get thumped pretty badly.
Toros 20
Crows 34

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Maybe I'll be the only one of those predicting a loss to give a score. While it would be nice to see a murder of crows, we can't realistically expect to win this one. We get thumped pretty badly.
Toros 20
Crows 34
You do realize that while Watson has been the quarterback for the Texans, in the games he has started, not one of the losses in the 3 regular seasons he has played in were lost by more then 7 points? Yet you're predicting the Texans lose by 14 in this one.
And yes. We can realistically expect to win this one.

Last edited:

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You do realize that while Watson has been the quarterback for the Texans, in the games he has started, not one of the losses in the 3 regular seasons he has played in were lost by more then 7 points? Yet you're predicting the Texans lose by 14 in this one.
Absolutely.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Absolutely.
Dude. In his first season, he went toe to toe with Tom Brady and a healthy New England Patriots team and only lost by 3 with a final score of Patriots 36 Texans 33 on September 24th 2017. And the Texans should have won that game.
Last season he didn't lose a single game by more then 6 points in the regular season. The Texans went 11-5 last year.
This year, the Texans have only lost 3 games and the biggest margin is 7. And Watson went toe to toe with Drew Breese and the high powered Saints in the first game of this season and only lost by 2 in a game we should have won.
If the Texans lose this game, it won't be by more then a single score. Whether it's by 2, 3, 6 or 7.
However, I believe it's well within the realm of possibility that the Texans can and will win.

DanielTx

Veteran

He hasn’t thrown for over 250 yds since week 3. Coaches know they’re going to run yet no one can stop it. You have to stack the box and make him beat you with his arm.

The only good passing games he’s had were against weak defenses (kc, bengals, browns, arizona) . You’d think he was a top 5 rb if you look at his rushing stats. That’s where he does the most damage. We have to use a spy at least if we plan on stopping him. I never said he sucks but I don’t believe he can win a game off his arm alone. Prove to me you can beat me with your arm.

He has 15 ptd with 6 rtd
21 total

Dw has 18 ptd with 5 rtd
23 total.

Similar stats because of the bye week. This will be one of the greatest rivalries I bet

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I posted, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious container of forgotten marijuana —
While I nodded, very stoned, suddenly there came a noise
As of some one rapping, rapping at my apartment door
“’Tis some frickin' car stereo,” I muttered, “making noise at my apartment door—
Only this and nothing more.”

As to the Ravens win streak, Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It’s been a long, long time since I felt we could trash talk with another team. Today I feel like we can.

Prepare the team to show up OB. Make sure they aren’t flat after the bye.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He hasn’t thrown for over 250 yds since week 3. Coaches know they’re going to run yet no one can stop it. You have to stack the box and make him beat you with his arm.

The only good passing games he’s had were against weak defenses (kc, bengals, browns, arizona) . You’d think he was a top 5 rb if you look at his rushing stats. That’s where he does the most damage. We have to use a spy at least if we plan on stopping him. I never said he sucks but I don’t believe he can win a game off his arm alone. Prove to me you can beat me with your arm.

He has 15 ptd with 6 rtd
21 total

Dw has 18 ptd with 5 rtd
23 total.

Similar stats because of the bye week. This will be one of the greatest rivalries I bet
I was thinking the same thing not too long ago - in fact I said it was unsustainable , he'd come back to earth. I think we might be wrong …. and here's why:

You said everyone knows he's gonna run … Sure we do.

You also said .... No one can stop it.

And that's why he doesn't have to beat with just his arm - He's going to run and no one has stopped him yet …. He just doesn't have to beat you with the arm alone.

But Watching him against KC , they were down and he had to throw - He got them back in that game throwing it deep. They didn't win but he gave them a chance.

Have to really credit Harbaugh and his coaching staff for designing that offense around Jackson and not trying to force him to do something he just isn't suited for (Where have we heard that ?! ...)

I expect this to be a hell of a game ... and just as big a rivalry as Watson / Mahomes. You gotta put him in that category of talent ... He's just that good.

I hope Romeo has something up his sleeve .... cause this is a big test of that defense.

Max

Veteran
I really like how our schedule has built up to these 3 tough games in a row coming out of the bye. We should have a real sense of just how good we are after these games. We all know that Watson's a winner. I think that we're eventually that team w/ the great qb that puts his team on his back and wins the big games. What's fun is that we're probably close to things having gelled enough w/ BOB's play calling, the OLine and the rest of the offense that Watson could evolve into that guy in the next few weeks. The stage is set. We're not going to shut Baltimore down, so keep your foot on the gas from the beginning, do the things that good coaches do to give us the best chance to have the ball on the last drive and BOB will carry Watson out of the stadium on his shoulders.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
I can't imagine BO'b beating a .500+ on the road. Not "realistically."
Wasn't Kansas City .500+ when the Texans went into their stadium and beat them earlier this year?
Why yes. Yes they were.
So yes. Yes the Texans can go into a team's stadium that has a .500+ record and beat them.
So yes. Yes it is a "realistic" expectation.

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Its funny.

In a world where the Dolphins beat the Colts... just a day later people act like its an impossibility that the Texans can beat the Ravens.

Now, IF you want to argue probability, then being in the bah humbug crowd myself Id say we lose this one.... but I dont believe we will get stomped or that a win is impossible. Just dont see it as the likely outcome.

Im hoping for a win, realistically prepared for the loss.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I really like how our schedule has built up to these 3 tough games in a row coming out of the bye. We should have a real sense of just how good we are after these games. We all know that Watson's a winner. I think that we're eventually that team w/ the great qb that puts his team on his back and wins the big games. What's fun is that we're probably close to things having gelled enough w/ BOB's play calling, the OLine and the rest of the offense that Watson could evolve into that guy in the next few weeks. The stage is set. We're not going to shut Baltimore down, so keep your foot on the gas from the beginning, do the things that good coaches do to give us the best chance to have the ball on the last drive and BOB will carry Watson out of the stadium on his shoulders.

Yeah , this has really set up for some high drama over the next 3 weeks - Texans are playing Baltimore for the #2 seed … the next week the Dolts for the division and the following NE for potentially the #1 seed in the conference.

I hope we continue to see the OB who's called a couple really fantastic games where he let Watson be Watson and the team that executed them …. Not the OB that tries to force Watson to do his best Brady impersonation.

I don't want to see regression to the mean …. its time for OB to come up aces.

This stretch of games will tell us if we have the right guy …. or not.
He doesn't necessarily have to go 3-0 (Has to beat the Dolts) but he has to account very well for himself and the team and give them the best chance to come out a winner.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Jackson is nowhere near Mahomes. Not even close.
But Baltimore has a better team than KC so Jackson doesn't have to be Mahomes. Also no coach has customized their offense around a QBs strengths and weaknesses like Ravens did around Jackson. They flat out built it from the ground up where, frankly, it wouldn't really work for any other QB. Not knocking them for that, I'm applauding them, wish BoB would do that full time.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Its funny.

In a world where the Dolphins beat the Colts... just a day later people act like its an impossibility that the Texans can beat the Ravens.

Now, IF you want to argue probability, then being in the bah humbug crowd myself Id say we lose this one.... but I dont believe we will get stomped or that a win is impossible. Just dont see it as the likely outcome.

Im hoping for a win, realistically prepared for the loss.

Any given Sunday. The Jets beat the Cowboys. The Saints just lost to the horrific Falcons.

Lol football is so funny like that. On my ESPN prediction I only picked three games correct. I never lost under 6 games.

So heck yeah we can go down there and beat the Ravens.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wasn't Kansas City .500+ when the Texans went into their stadium and beat them earlier this year?
Why yes. Yes they were.
So yes. Yes the Texans can go into a team's stadium that has a .500+ record and beat them.
Good point.

Still not seeing it. But again I'm predicting we win 12 games this year. I don't know how, but I believe it's going to happen.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why yes. Yes they were.
But that doesn't fit the narrative around here.

Truth is the Texans have a very good team this yr, with depth. The BOB hate doesn't allow a segment of fans to see this though.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But Baltimore has a better team than KC so Jackson doesn't have to be Mahomes. Also no coach has customized their offense around a QBs strengths and weaknesses like Ravens did around Jackson. They flat out built it from the ground up where, frankly, it wouldn't really work for any other QB. Not knocking them for that, I'm applauding them, wish BoB would do that full time.
Yet the Chiefs beat the Ravens this yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah , this has really set up for some high drama over the next 3 weeks - Texans are playing Baltimore for the #2 seed … the next week the Dolts for the division and the following NE for potentially the #1 seed in the conference.

I hope we continue to see the OB who's called a couple really fantastic games where he let Watson be Watson and the team that executed them …. Not the OB that tries to force Watson to do his best Brady impersonation.

I don't want to see regression to the mean …. its time for OB to come up aces.

This stretch of games will tell us if we have the right guy …. or not.
He doesn't necessarily have to go 3-0 (Has to beat the Dolts) but he has to account very well for himself and the team and give them the best chance to come out a winner.
Same for Watson.

He's got to come up big and find the open receivers. There will be open receivers.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I posted, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious container of forgotten marijuana
While I nodded, very stoned, suddenly there came a noise
As of some one rapping, rapping at my apartment door
“’Tis some frickin' car stereo,” I muttered, “making noise at my apartment door—
Only this and nothing more.”

As to the Ravens win streak, Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”
I'm calling bullsh*t

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Since 2014, the Texans have won four of five games after the bye week, all on the road.
I was going to say the same thing. The Texans seem to be really good after the Bye. I expect that to continue with the Texans getting heathy after the week of rest and getting some key players back on both the offense and defense. Here's a link to a story on this exact subject.

DanielTx

Veteran
I was going to say the same thing. The Texans seem to be really good after the Bye. I expect that to continue with the Texans getting heathy after the week of rest and getting some key players back on both the offense and defense. Here's a link to a story on this exact subject.

yeah with 2 weeks to gameplan, hopefully Obrien has made the offense more fluent with fuller returning to the line up. The ravens will be a tough task. The game plan shouldnt be keep lamar off the field. We need to try an score or at worst get a field goal every possession. This feels like a playoff game. I hope our team is motivated.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
But that doesn't fit the narrative around here.

Truth is the Texans have a very good team this yr, with depth. The BOB hate doesn't allow a segment of fans to see this though.
No , we can see a pretty good team .... but we expect the other shoe to drop with OB.