Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 1...Monday Night Football...New Orleans Saints!

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
You would know that Rick also found late round gems like Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Wade Smith, Arian Foster, Antonio Smith, Glover Quin, Owen Daniels, Mike Brisiel. You would know this if you would take off your RS hate filled glasses.
Yeah, just like BOB, RS was middling. Seen lots of history on this, seemed to do better than average on his #1 and UDFA, and below average on the middle rounds, and for some reason we really miss rd3 (Reid exception!). Always left us with stars, but no depth. So if we want super bowls, change was good. First try GM, then if still struggling, hit the coach

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I'm not as angry as everyone else in regards to the challenge. I was happy BOB took a timeout so they had time to check the replay and make sure they wanted to challenge. It looked very close, and in real time, I thought Nuk had the first. 610 explained this morning that the guys in the Texans booth are simply watching the broadcast, they do NOT have access to any additional video (unsure if this is true or not). For some reason, the broadcast didn't do a replay on that play, so the booth didn't have any additional info on the play... therefore they just went ahead and challenged.
Completely understand the intent of calling the timeout - but I understand the concerns about Bob's lack of game management awareness...

IF the only reason you are calling a timeout is in the hopes of the officials reviewing a play, then just throw the flag. The end result is the same e.g. the play is reviewed, and you only lose one timeout.

IF he called the time out for some other reason then during the time out someone says "hey we think Nuk got the first" and the officials didn't review then you throw the flag, but you may want to be prepared to answer the "WTF" question after the game.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Completely understand the intent of calling the timeout - but I understand the concerns about Bob's lack of game management awareness...

IF the only reason you are calling a timeout is in the hopes of the officials reviewing a play, then just throw the flag. The end result is the same e.g. the play is reviewed, and you only lose one timeout.

IF he called the time out for some other reason then during the time out someone says "hey we think Nuk got the first" and the officials didn't review then you throw the flag, but you may want to be prepared to answer the "WTF" question after the game.
I don't know if the Texans, under OB, have ever run a 4th down play without calling a TO first. At least a short 4th down. Seems they're always on the fence about it, then when a decision is finally made, the play clock has run down and they don't have time to get the play in, line up, and run it.

That's exactly what it looked like again Monday. Even without the challenge entering the equation, OB never seems to be able to decide if he wants to go for it or not, takes his sweet ass time, then either has to call a timeout if he decides to go for it, or the punt team has to rush the play or take the delay of game.

Just another example of not having a grasp on situational football, and probably having too much on his freaking plate. And it's been like that the entire time he's been here. He's not getting better at it.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
So the Saints came out with either a 7 or 6 man box in the first two series.

The Texans got a few decent-nice runs out of it.
Why switch to the pass?

And yeah, the Saints got a couple of sacks without blitzing.

Take what the defense gives you, didn't they say?

Why try to outsmart yourself?

Brees looks like a rookie QB on that INT.

Sometimes I feel like I watch a wrestling match, where it's mostly about entertainment.

In certain games, like this one, it feels the same.

I used to bet a little on football, but I stopped.
I think it has a bad effect on the game.
I used to love this game so much.

But never mind the conspiracy theory.
Brees still made one of the worst throws of his career.

And I still don't understand not running against a 6-7 man box, especially when you're having success with it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You would know that Rick also found late round gems like Chris Myers, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Wade Smith, Arian Foster, Antonio Smith, Glover Quin, Owen Daniels, Mike Brisiel. You would know this if you would take off your RS hate filled glasses.
Care to tell me how many of those guys he drafted? Or do you want me to tell you.

How many of those guys were drafted when RS/BOB were together? There was major dysfunction within the Texans org when RS/BOB were here together, no matter how much Cak and his mob tried to say differently.

Finally this org has a vision, you may not like the vision but atleast there's finally a vision.

If you cant see the difference you will soon.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Care to tell me how many of those guys he drafted? Or do you want me to tell you.

How many of those guys were drafted when RS/BOB were together? There was major dysfunction within the Texans org when RS/BOB were here together, no matter how much Cak and his mob tried to say differently.

Finally this org has a vision, you may not like the vision but atleast there's finally a vision.

If you cant see the difference you will soon.
What difference doesn't it make which of these guys he drafted? BTW, in your example, you brought up Kenny Stills. Why are you allowed to bring up non-drafted examples, but I can only list drafted examples? Of those players, Brooks, Jones, Quin were all drafted. Briesel & Foster were UDFAs.

Maybe there was dysfunction with RS & BOB? RS is gone and I'm ok with that. But there was also dysfunction with Gaine & BOB, so now Gaine is gone.

And yes, there's a new vision. It's get rid of players and acquire players at all cost!!! Don't worry about value. I honestly hope it works!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What difference doesn't it make which of these guys he drafted? BTW, in your example, you brought up Kenny Stills. Why are you allowed to bring up non-drafted examples, but I can only list drafted examples? Of those players, Brooks, Jones, Quin were all drafted. Briesel & Foster were UDFAs.

Maybe there was dysfunction with RS & BOB? RS is gone and I'm ok with that. But there was also dysfunction with Gaine & BOB, so now Gaine is gone.

And yes, there's a new vision. It's get rid of players and acquire players at all cost!!! Don't worry about value. I honestly hope it works!
I'm not sure what your point was in the players you listed.

I just pointed out who was drafted. I wanted people to see why the Texans are where they are and the difference between the 2 regimes. It's stark

I like the new direction, but realize this isn't a yr where you can expect a Lombardi down on Kirby.