Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Franco Harris passes away at age 72

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I always hated him and those Steeler teams, but the football world is a sadder place this morning. Saturday will be the 50th anniversary of the immaculate reception. I always thought that was a bogus play that robbed the Raiders even worse than the fumble

edited for correction

Last edited:
The Steelers hadn't been to the playoffs in 25 years when they drafted Franco. After, they went to the playoffs in 8 consecutive seasons, with 4 NFL Championships. Harris led Pittsburgh in rushing for 12 consecutive seasons. Tied with Walter Payton and only surpassed by Emmitt Smith (13).

I always him and those Steeler teams, but the football world is a sadder place this morning. Saturday will be the 50th anniversary of the immaculate reception. I always thought that was a bogus play that robbed the Raiders even worse than the fumble
Edit for correction: Today there would have been 30,000 flags thrown for the hit Tatum put on Fuqua. I still marvel at the talent on those 70s Steeler rosters. Rest easy Franco...

Last edited:
Today that would not have been a TD because there would have been 30,000 flags thrown for the hit Tatum put on Fuqua. I still marvel at the talent on those 70s Steeler rosters. Rest easy Franco...
Still a TD if the penalty is on the defense. The questionable aspect of the play was if the pass hit Fuqua, and then Harris. It would have been a penalty for a Steeler to be the next to touch the ball. The refs ruled that the ball was off Tatum when it came to Harris. I've never seen anything definitive to say for sure.

Still a TD if the penalty is on the defense. The questionable aspect of the play was if the pass hit Fuqua, and then Harris. It would have been a penalty for a Steeler to be the next to touch the ball. The refs ruled that the ball was off Tatum when it came to Harris. I've never seen anything definitive to say for sure.
You're right it would have been on the defense. It's a wonder that almost all of the NFL players during that era didn't suffer from CTE later in life.

Sometimes in life you hate being right.. this is one of those times. 😟
Why did it take them 50 years to retire his number? That's a long time.. He could've passed without ever seeing the honor. He was one of the main pieces that created "Steelers football". Doesn't make sense to me.

However since they did wait 50 years.. what a date/opponent to do it on.Those old Steeler and Radier players genuinely hated each other.. apparently they still do

There's no guarantees in life and no one is promised tomorrow. Don't wait to tell those you care about how you feel about them.

Back