Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Foxsports] Kubiak needs to get it together after ugly win

I just dont get why everyone bashes the gameplan .... its sound football.

Control the clock , limit mistakes .... Dont ask your players to do things they cant .... especially your QB.

Schaub excells at play action .... but without it , he's just average. Asking him to "throw it around the yard" is a recipe for disaster.

Keeping Brady on the sidelines and Schaub from making mistakes gives them a chance to win.
Not sure why some folks don't get this. It's how Parcells won his Super Bowls. Control the clock with the run, rely on the strength of his team, the defense, to keep the score low. Strike deep when the opposition concentrates on stopping the run. It's also how Belichick won his first couple of Super Bowls with Brady. Run the ball, control the clock, be in position to win at the end. Did you know Brady only threw for 145 yds in that first Super Bowl? The losing QB, Kurt Warner threw for 360+ yds and still lost.

You keep doing what your guys do well. This team is built to run; not to throw it all around the yard every damned down. If that's what you crave I suggest you watch the Saints. We aren't, and have never been, built to do that.

please football jesus, guide our head coach to pick the right plays and strategy when game prepping for football church this sunday.

in football jesus name we pray. amen.

ps. please sprinkle some mean-dust on our O-Line that they may comsistently spread brotherly spanking on the NE D-Line too. Thank you.

G'nyt folks. Dont forget to pray!

please football jesus, guide our head coach to pick the right plays and strategy when game prepping for football church this sunday.

What I'd like to see is Kubiak use Walter more like a third TE than a WR. Use whatever combination he'd like at #2 WR, Posey (my favorite) or Martin, & Jean as his Andre breather.

Put Walter in as the third TE. Instead of Casey. Casey plays in all the fullback sets, but when you have Casey lined up at TE, that should be Walter.

I think Walter would be more dynamic in that spot than he is at #2 WR. He blocks as well if not better than Casey, he's faster than Casey, & he's better in the middle of the field than Casey.

He can be our Dallas Clark as a TE more than he can be our Pierre Garcon. Belichick would still see him as a WR & put his nickel back in the game. Line Walter up like a TE & we'll be able to run the ball easier than if we had Casey in & Belichick matches him up with a LB.

Not sure why some folks don't get this. It's how Parcells won his Super Bowls. Control the clock with the run, rely on the strength of his team, the defense, to keep the score low. Strike deep when the opposition concentrates on stopping the run. It's also how Belichick won his first couple of Super Bowls with Brady. Run the ball, control the clock, be in position to win at the end. Did you know Brady only threw for 145 yds in that first Super Bowl? The losing QB, Kurt Warner threw for 360+ yds and still lost.

You keep doing what your guys do well. This team is built to run; not to throw it all around the yard every damned down. If that's what you crave I suggest you watch the Saints. We aren't, and have never been, built to do that.

And you left out the following:

1. Run right AT Vince Wilfork.

2. Or, run to the right side of our line

3. Forget to block a man who is right across from you, letting your QB get sacked in 0.75 seconds after the snap.

4. Try to pick up fumbles and run with the ball, rather than securing the ball FIRST.

See, the theories are all good and well. But when your coach chooses to run at the strength of the opposing defense, when the coach chooses to run to the weakest side of our line, when the players are losing their minds out there (a mark of not being disciplined, which is a coaching issue), the whole "control the clock and win with defense" doesn't matter much.

Nobody here will admit that this Texans team is not playing great football.

Yes, the outlined strategy worked vs. the Bengals. But the Patriots are not the Bengals. We should at least be acknowledging that the odds are stacked against us IF this Texans team doesn't play premium, quality football out there.

And then there's the issue of the Patriots. A team who will likely be characteristically (a) disciplined, (b) focused, (c) talented across the board, and (d) in their own home with their home crowd behind them.

There IS a chance, it's just that the chance is a small one. We need a lot of things to go our way Sunday.

I just want to see all our guys leave everything on the field.

I think they got outclassed in week 14, and they were afraid to be seen as giving their best and being beaten. So just give up, let off the gas pedal, and slouch around and act like you're disinterested in playing the game.

They need to check their pride at the door and just get back to the trench mindset of football. Every single play requires maximum effort. Then you start over on the next play. Over and over again. Maximum effort, no matter the result of the play or the sound of the crowd, etc.

These guys have got to find the toughness that was there when they played high school ball, college ball, all those workouts in the offseason, and the struggles and battles in camp when they were fighting for their own roster spot.

its this type of mentality that mediocre people have.

Its not the game plan of a winner.

Its a game plan of a loser.

No wonder kubiak and schaub have lasted this long in houston without winning anything while still getting praised and contract extensions.

You're an enabler of mediocrity.

This is just a bizarre post in it's absurdity.

First, if I'm not mistaken, Corrosion is just a fan. He's not in the front office, making personnel decisions, calling plays, or doing anything at all that actually influences the team.

What can a fan do to not be a so-called "enabler of mediocrity"? Cry? Scream? Protest? Write e-mails? Call sports radio shows?

Seriously, actually talk some sense before you post nonsense.

As far as game play, it appears that you do not watch much football.

ObsiWan mentioned it, but it should be repeated. Corrosion's post was Football 101. Bill Walsh was a master of it when he won four Super Bowl championships with the 49ers. Tom Landry did the same thing. Play to your strengths, keep the other team's offense off the field, and avoid mistakes.

Strange that you say it's a "game plan of a loser" for a team that won a playoff game. Do you engage your brain before you post?

...It's how Parcells won hid Super Bowls...It's also how Belichick won his first couple of Super Bowls...

...Bill Walsh was a master of it when he won four Super Bowl championships... Tom Landry did the same thing...

Parcels. Belichick. Walsh. Landry. Kubiak.

Sorry for the interruption. I agree with the point you two are making, but this grouping made me laugh.

Sorry for the interruption. I agree with the point you two are making, but this grouping made me laugh.

Agreed.

I got suckered into thinking a 12-1 record, which followed our best year in 2011, was somehow a sign that Kubiak was growing. Only in the loss to the Patriots did I realize that he hasn't grown. He's just faced teams who crumble faster than HIS does.

I was unfazed by the Packers loss. But the loss to the Patriots, the total collapse and utter zombie-like actions of his entire team that late into the season told me that this head coach is a boy among men when it comes to playing the big games.

There was an adage that "We win despite Kubiak" and that saying went out of style with the 12-1 record. Now it's seeming like we might be back to that state of being again: Finding ways to overcome the immaturity of Gary's coaching skills. Sorry if that sounds harsh to others on here, but hey...no time for coddling. This is win-or-go-home time. No trophies for 2nd place, nor for divisional round exits.

My main issue with Kubiak has become him having no imagination when it comes to getting the ball into his playmaker's hands & utilizing all the talent he has at his disposal. He's not creative enough.

The reverse to Martin last week is a play that we should've been running to utilize his speed and playmaking ability.

we should be targeting Posey more on those deep comeback routes where he showed excellent separation and hands.

I love AJ, but its clear by watching him that he's lost a step..so why not run that bubble screen that we throw to AJ at least twice per game, to Martin and get him in space....it could be just like a punt/KO return...which is where he's been for weeks now & he's nearly broke a few too.

You guys want more throws past 10 yards? Get all your speed guys on the field so at least there's a viable threat that someone other than AJ can take the top of the defense. I think this is as much of a problem as anything. Walter & Daniels/Graham's deep speed scare noone...so the defense is just sitting on the short stuff & sitting a safety over the top of AJ.

You gotta utilize all your tools and get the defense to think....at least a little bit.

It does sound funny now.

But, those HoF coaches did not start off that way. I'm sure there were Cowboys fans calling for Landry's head after he was given a ten-year extension before ever having a winning season. Heck, Landry went 18-46 in his first five seasons with the Cowboys, including a winless season.

Walsh was widely considered to be a horrible HC pick when the 49ers hired him, coming from a college background and fans hated it.

Heck, Belichick was slammed hard after his gig with the Browns (which really wasn't that bad if not for Modell's moving the team during a season). But I remember when the Patriots got him and the national media was criticizing the decision hard.

Obviously, Kubiak has a long way to go before he can truly be mentioned in that circle, but any coach we get will most likely have the same uphill battle (unless we get some tired re-tread, no thank you Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Norv Turner, etc.).

I'm far from a Kubiak-homer, but truth be told, he's got this team in the playoffs and that's what we really wanted just a couple of seasons ago. I'm going to stop and smell the roses at this point. Going into week 2 of the NFL post-season with a team still active is fantastic, even if our team is a gigantic underdog to this decade's dynasty franchise.

It does sound funny now.

But, those HoF coaches did not start off that way. I'm sure there were Cowboys fans calling for Landry's head after he was given a ten-year extension before ever having a winning season. Heck, Landry went 18-46 in his first five seasons with the Cowboys, including a winless season.

Walsh was widely considered to be a horrible HC pick when the 49ers hired him, coming from a college background and fans hated it.

Heck, Belichick was slammed hard after his gig with the Browns (which really wasn't that bad if not for Modell's moving the team during a season). But I remember when the Patriots got him and the national media was criticizing the decision hard.

Obviously, Kubiak has a long way to go before he can truly be mentioned in that circle, but any coach we get will most likely have the same uphill battle (unless we get some tired re-tread, no thank you Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Norv Turner, etc.).

I'm far from a Kubiak-homer, but truth be told, he's got this team in the playoffs and that's what we really wanted just a couple of seasons ago. I'm going to stop and smell the roses at this point. Going into week 2 of the NFL post-season with a team still active is fantastic, even if our team is a gigantic underdog to this decade's dynasty franchise.

I agree with that. Begrudgingly. :shades:

I agree most with the last two paragraphs.

(1) I don't want ANY of the available just-fired coaches. I think Marvin Lewis might be on his way out, too. Don't think for one second that the Bengals ownership is keen on losing to Gary Kubiak in the opening round of the playoffs two years in a row.

(2) Yeah, the Patriots are the Patriots. A decade+ dynasty team that one day will be without its all-universe QB. So that is what it is.

My main issue with Kubiak has become him having no imagination when it comes to getting the ball into his playmaker's hands & utilizing all the talent he has at his disposal. He's not creative enough.

The reverse to Martin last week is a play that we should've been running to utilize his speed and playmaking ability.

we should be targeting Posey more on those deep comeback routes where he showed excellent separation and hands.

I love AJ, but its clear by watching him that he's lost a step..so why not run that bubble screen that we throw to AJ at least twice per game, to Martin and get him in space....it could be just like a punt/KO return...which is where he's been for weeks now & he's nearly broke a few too.

You guys want more throws past 10 yards? Get all your speed guys on the field so at least there's a viable threat that someone other than AJ can take the top of the defense. I think this is as much of a problem as anything. Walter & Daniels/Graham's deep speed scare noone...so the defense is just sitting on the short stuff & sitting a safety over the top of AJ.

You gotta utilize all your tools and get the defense to think....at least a little bit.

Agree whole-heartedly here, too.

Agreed.

I got suckered into thinking a 12-1 record, which followed our best year in 2011, was somehow a sign that Kubiak was growing. Only in the loss to the Patriots did I realize that he hasn't grown. He's just faced teams who crumble faster than HIS does.

That's football. That's what it boils down to. Once you get a talented team, once you've got good coaches.. this is what it comes down to.

You are absolutely right, & that is a very astute observation.

Remember when people were calling the Texans "soft" even though we had the best offensive line in the league & one of the more physical defenses? This is what they were talking about.

The Texans were soft & against Greenbay & New England, they showed they are still soft in comparison.

We didn't even put up a fight. We went fetal (figuratively of course). That's got to change.

Those guys that want Cowher for head-coach, that is what they are wanting the team to adopt from their coach. That's what the Jets got from Ryan, that's what the 49ers get from Harbaugh. The Jets have showed that they're just punks. Found a bigger bully & laid down.... but, the point is the same.

Right now, we punk the little kids. The freshmen. We run & hide when the Seniors show up. We need to (figuratively) put those lettermans back on & give the Patriots the double 1 finger salute.

It does sound funny now.

Absolutely correct, but nobody's saying Gary is those coaches, they're saying he's from the Walsh tree, and he's simply trying to utilizing the strategies developed over the course of that tree's existence.

And at least it's the Walsh coaching tree. Keep in mind that somebody's coaching tree includes the likes of Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini, and Charlie Weiss.

Absolutely correct, but nobody's saying Gary is those coaches, they're saying he's from the Walsh tree, and he's simply trying to utilizing the strategies developed over the course of that tree's existence.

And at least it's the Walsh coaching tree. Keep in mind that somebody's coaching tree includes the likes of Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini, and Charlie Weiss.

:smiliepalm:

Ultimately, that would be the modern coaching tree of one Bill Parcells. ;)

Ultimately, that would be the modern coaching tree of one Bill Parcells. ;)

Yeah, except Tuna's tree also includes Belichick himself, Tom Coughlin, and Sean Payton.

Parcells was actually a pretty average coach without Belichick on his staff, but he's done a better job of putting out head coaches than the hoodie has.

Yeah, except Tuna's tree also includes Belichick himself, Tom Coughlin, and Sean Payton.

Parcells was actually a pretty average coach without Belichick on his staff, but he's done a better job of putting out head coaches than the hoodie has.

yep. But like the Belichick branches you mentioned that never directly worked for Parcells, Kubiak is the same for the Walsh tree. He never worked directly for Walsh, but instead worked under some of his coaches.

791px-Bill_Walsh_Coaching_Tree.svg.png

Belichick's coaching tree is certainly not as impressive with multiple SB wins, but he's got a pretty good tree if you include his Cleveland Brown days.

What I'd like to see is Kubiak use Walter more like a third TE than a WR. Use whatever combination he'd like at #2 WR, Posey (my favorite) or Martin, & Jean as his Andre breather. /snip

one things for sure, we can't go back up to NE with same game plan we've used.
because belicheck's figured it out and our offense got STUFFED big time the last trip!

Back