Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Flying under the radar prospects.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Each year we see a thread along this line so I thought I would kick it off this time.
Each year there are prospects that seem to be getting overlooked and hidden gems in the lower rounds - this is the thread to post 'em up.
I found one after his recent pro day - Gage Cervenka OG Clemson.
This guy is projected to go undrafted, but after his very recent pro-day, his stocks will skyrocket.
He is just there at 6'3", but his weight is good at 325lbs.
Well known as a "strongman", he benched the 225 bar an impressive 39 times - second among all OL at the combine to which he did not get an invite so made up for it in front of the scouts at his pro-day. 40 time of 5:28.
Played in the SEC at one of the very best schools so obviously has talent.
Check out his pro-day write up and you will know he is not going undrafted.
I'll open it up for your contributions.

Each year we see a thread along this line so I thought I would kick it off this time.
Each year there are prospects that seem to be getting overlooked and hidden gems in the lower rounds - this is the thread to post 'em up.
I found one after his recent pro day - Gage Cervenka OG Clemson.
This guy is projected to go undrafted, but after his very recent pro-day, his stocks will skyrocket.
He is just there at 6'3", but his weight is good at 325lbs.
Well known as a "strongman", he benched the 225 bar an impressive 39 times - second among all OL at the combine to which he did not get an invite so made up for it in front of the scouts at his pro-day. 40 time of 5:28.
Played in the SEC at one of the very best schools so obviously has talent.
Check out his pro-day write up and you will know he is not going undrafted.
I'll open it up for your contributions.

Could be a sleeper. NFL Network analysis states what everyone seems to know already, dude is a strong as an ox. He actually popped 225 lbs 44 times this past summer. He's agile and pretty quick for his size. He was converted from DL in his RS year at Clemson to RG/OC. He started and played both RG and OC but his notice is coming from RG. His cons are simple to fix.....he's raw and needs more time for development. He played bigtime for Clemson and as he stated, he has played high competition and for the National Championships all 3 years he was on the OL. My take after reading several things about this guy, he survived the transition based on his shear strength and demeanor. I think the dude has a mean streak which would be a solid fit for the Texans OL. Hope OB puts this guy on his radar as maybe a RD5 investment b/c where he might've became an UDFA star signing, he's likely Pro-Dayed himself to a mid to late round selection.

I'd still use an earlier pick on the OL b/c depth is going to be an issue this season.

Last edited:
Could be a sleeper. NFL Network analysis states what everyone seems to know already, dude is a strong as an ox. He actually popped 225 lbs 44 times this past summer. He's agile and pretty quick for his size. He was converted from DL in his RS year at Clemson to RG/OC. He started and played both RG and OC but his notice is coming from RG. His cons are simple to fix.....he's raw and needs more time for development. He played bigtime for Clemson and as he stated, he has played high competition and for the National Championships all 3 years he was on the OL. My take after reading several things about this guy, he survived the transition based on his shear strength and demeanor. I think the dude has a mean streak which would be a solid fit for the Texans OL. Hope OB puts this guy on his radar as maybe a RD5 investment b/c where he might've became an UDFA star signing, he's likely Pro-Dayed himself to a mid to late round selection.

I'd still use an earlier pick on the OL b/c depth is going to be an issue this season.
Agree. Cervenka will be a developmental type of guy and for that reason Texans may take a look at him in the lower couple of rounds.
Once you get past the first couple rounds, most draftees are developmental prospects unless you luck out with someone who clicks straight up.

Who are some of the late Rd guys y'all like?

I like Runyan/NevelleClark/Kendrick Rodgers.

Watch some the film on Marquez Callaway of Tennessee. He appears to be a pretty special return guy who would need a season to hone his receiving skills....i.e., route running. Dude has hands and catch radius in spades. His lack of WR production may have been due to poor QB play during his tenure.

Last edited:
Who are some of the late Rd guys y'all like?

I like Runyan/NevelleClark/Kendrick Rodgers.
Kevin Dotson - OG - Louisiana Lafayette
Patrick Nelson - S/Nickel LB/ST - SMU
John Dada - LB - James Madison
KiAnte Hardin - CB - Pittsburg State (Minnesota transfer)
Kyle Hinton - C - Washburn

Kevin Dotson - OG - Louisiana Lafayette
Patrick Nelson - S/Nickel LB/ST - SMU
John Dada - LB - James Madison
KiAnte Hardin - CB - Pittsburg State (Minnesota transfer)
Kyle Hinton - C - Washburn

I like Dotson and wouldn't mind a 7th being used on him.

Nelson would be a solid late rd pick.

Love Dada from the highlights I've seen I think he could go in the 5th rd.

Dont know about the rest of the guys.

Hardin was a starting CB at Minnesota who got caught up in that sexual assault case that had 10 players suspended. Some were re-instated (Antoine Winfield Jr. for one). Hardin was not re-instated, but was never charged and transferred to a FCS school to play immediately. A little undersized and likely a nickel CB, Hardin ran sub 4.40 at his pro day at Kansas State.

Kyle Hinton is a 3 time small college All American who also participated on his school's track & field team in the shot and discus. Also tested and put up some crazy numbers for a Center. 4.88 forty, 34 reps on the bench, 10 ft broad jump, and 34" vertical. Had a visit to the Niners setup prior to the COVID-19 lockdown.

Not that Wake Forest is some top 25 powerhouse football program, but they have a linebacker I really like.

Justin Strnad, 6'3, 235lbs.

Read a little on him and watch some of his play. Hard not to like the guy and most are projecting him beyond the 4th round.
Have a good one !!

Not that Wake Forest is some top 25 powerhouse football program, but they have a linebacker I really like.

Justin Strnad, 6'3, 235lbs.

Read a little on him and watch some of his play. Hard not to like the guy and most are projecting him beyond the 4th round.
Have a good one !!
Strnad would be outstanding value for the Texans in the 7th round.

One player that I am interested in is Joe Reed from UVA. His height/weight/speed profile reminds me of Deebo Samuel from last year. His return skills are his calling card but he also was productive as a WR. At one time I was very interested in Antonio Gibson as a RB/WR/Returner. I think that Reed provides a lot of the same at a lower cost with more production at WR. I personally mock him to the Texans in Round 5 but he could move up.

Reggie Robinson II is a CB I like alot and wouldn't mind him at 57. If he's there in the 3rd he's my pick.

Can cover and adds much needed speed.

Tevis Gipson is another underrated guy on that Tulsa sqaud.

Reggie Robinson II is a CB I like alot and wouldn't mind him at 57. If he's there in the 3rd he's my pick.

Can cover and adds much needed speed.

Tevis Gipson is another underrated guy on that Tulsa sqaud.
I have Reggie at 5.171 and was recently ranked at #230 by Drafttek IIRC. Unless a prize corner happens to be available earlier I can see OBrien waiting until later. Same with WR.

I have Reggie as a early to mid 3rd and wouldn't be upset if they took him at 57.

Don't know if he's flying under the radar, but I like CB Javaris Davis as a 3rd day pick. Three year starter for Auburn in the SEC. He's undersized, maybe be there in the 7th? 4.40 speed and great AA, as one might guess, being an undersized starter.

This guy is decent - has good field vision, fights for yards, can spot holes quickly and can catch!
He's is also a load at 225lbs.
Enjoy.

Mike Warren would be a nice compliment to our more finesse backs in Johnson and Johnson. He falls into the category of guys I would look for in round 7 or as UDFA. He would be my second choice behind James Robinson from Illinois St.

Back