Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Flat !

For some reason I keep thinking things will change. This time it was that we have Deshaun Watson so clearly we will show up even if we don't win...how many times do I have to be wrong with this team before I learn my lesson?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
My take;
1) Watson let the hype of the game get to him over the bye week. He obviously came into this game doing too much and trying to be the better QB on the field.
He kicked things off with a fumble. Then tried to overcompensate for the fumble by looking for the big play, and holding the ball too long in the process.
This allowed the sacks to build, the O-Line to crack, the playcalling to become more desperate, and the defense to tire.

Then you mix in a coaching staff that is already overmatched, and ask them to call a game in which you are already lying in your own grave and the biased refs are already shoveling the dirt over you.

2) After seeing the Browns/Steelers game, it was nice to see these two teams smile, pat backs, and not let emotions get the best of them after such a complete butt whipping filled, lopsided game.

3) Reading the game thread, I truly believe there are a handful of posters here who post simply to irritate the other members.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
My take;
1) Watson let the hype of the game get to him over the bye week. He obviously came into this game doing too much and trying to be the better QB on the field.
He kicked things off with a fumble. Then tried to overcompensate for the fumble by looking for the big play, and holding the ball too long in the process.
This allowed the sacks to build, the O-Line to crack, the playcalling to become more desperate, and the defense to tire.

Then you mix in a coaching staff that is already overmatched, and ask them to call a game in which you are already lying in your own grave and the biased refs are already shoveling the dirt over you.

2) After seeing the Browns/Steelers game, it was nice to see these two teams smile, pat backs, and not let emotions get the best of them after such a complete butt whipping filled, lopsided game.

3) Reading the game thread, I truly believe there are a handful of posters here who post simply to irritate the other members.

Right they are known as trollers.
Thursday night was always a more important game than this one so if the Texans are a serious NFL team we should see the seasons best
effort in NRG vs Indy on Thursday.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
It’s really disappointing to see the offense struggle with the blitz this late in the year. Sure, it starts and ends with Watson but there wasn’t a strategic grasp to the same persistent problem of pressure and how to counter attack.

So what’s OBriens record against “good” coaches again? Yeeesh. You could almost start betting Texans not on the game itself but on the pedigree of the opposing coach.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I dont see how that wasnt over turned. It was obvious PI, crazy how it was not seen and then not seen again during the challenge !
Because the NFL doesn't want teams challenging every PI call. They are pretty blatantly saying, "don't challenge them, they won't be over turned."

Maybe if it was a conference championship game & the play was in the last minute of a go ahead scoring drive, maybe they'll overturn it.

Other than that, you're wasting your time & timeouts.... just stop

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
The guy on texans postgame talk didnt want to hear anything about one play from saints fans last year. He was adamant one play doesnt make a difference in a game with 70-90 plays
Hes employed by texans.
Give it up .......

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Because the NFL doesn't want teams challenging every PI call. They are pretty blatantly saying, "don't challenge them, they won't be over turned."

Maybe if it was a conference championship game & the play was in the last minute of a go ahead scoring drive, maybe they'll overturn it.

I agree - completely- but how many posters here would've gone nuts if OB didn't challenge the call?

I know I would've. I think it's pretty clear now though.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Why even put that stuff in place if they didn't want teams challenging it. Pretty ash backwards don't you think?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why even put that stuff in place if they didn't want teams challenging it. Pretty ash backwards don't you think?
You're talking about three groups of people here. The coaches, who put it in & want to expand instant replay. The refs, who didn't want it & are upset it is even there. & the NFL who wants to speed the game up, not slow it down & couldn't care less if it's right.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You're talking about three groups of people here. The coaches, who put it in & want to expand instant replay. The refs, who didn't want it & are upset it is even there. & the NFL who wants to speed the game up, not slow it down & couldn't care less if it's right.
My mother used to say if you're not honest, you're not anything. Now you're hinting at the out-and-out truth. The replay official was just plain dishonest.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
This, it was put Into play due to saints last year. Just to shut people
How do you have two weeks to prepare for an opponent and come out this flat ? OB.... that's how. Dude is not the offensive guru some claim him to be ! Just think of how good we would be with a better staff around Watson.

Such a waste !
Dude where you been
Swear last time you posted those kids were babies lol

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So Lamar is 14-3 as a starter? That with a staff that had a statue as qb then totally overhauled things.

Man a qb is great but coaching is the difference
The Ravens successfully avoided trying to ram a round peg into a square hole. They've quickly vaulted themselves in 17 games to the team to beat in the AFC.....maybe the NFL.

Note to OB......it doesn't have to take 33 games with more to come. Giving him some lead way instead of stating the obvious......94 games.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Just to play devil advocate, I don't see that non-PI call as blatant.

Very questionable, yes.
But nowhere near blatant as the non-call in the Saints game.

The key here is "significantly hindering".
And I didn't see that.

I saw the replay on the "arm bar" during the game, (but have yet to see it on Youtube), and I didn't see it either.
I've seen guys get away with much worse (Bouye when he played "well" for us).

ROO

Tweak the offense already!

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Just to play devil advocate, I don't see that non-PI call as blatant.

Very questionable, yes.
But nowhere near blatant as the non-call in the Saints game.

The key here is "significantly hindering".
And I didn't see that.

I saw the replay on the "arm bar" during the game, (but have yet to see it on Youtube), and I didn't see it either.
I've seen guys get away with much worse (Bouye when he played "well" for us).

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Gotta disagree. Hopkins catches that ball if he isn't "hindered" by the DB. In my book, that has to be "significantly hindering."
You meant to say it was a judgment call?

Could you try to explain how Hopkins was "significantly" hindered.

Please re-read that article carefully.
What the rulebook actually said is that, it's still up to the refs, unfortunately.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!

Yeah but your limited in your challenges, not like it would be more than a few times a game...

amazing80

Hall of Fame

What the rulebook actually said is that, it's still up to the refs, unfortunately.
On the potential TD catch the defender clearly rotated Hopkins entire body As the ball was getting there. Hopkins has the skill set to make a one handed catch. So moving him out of position by grabbing and twisting him is interfering.

There was another play where Peters swiped Hopkins hands down as the ball hit them. Again preventing Hopkins from making a play on the ball. Both were obvious egregious plays by the defender.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!

Hopkins is trying to put both arms up so he can catch the ball. The DB hinders Hopkins from getting his right arm up. Catching a football with two hands is significantly easier than with only one hand.

At 0:23 to 0:25, the following things are happening:
The DB has his left hand hooked around Hopkins' left side which is hindering his attempt to get to the ball.
The DB's right hand/forearm is preventing Hopkins from getting his right arm up to the ball.
The DB's body is colliding with Hopkins' back before the ball arrives.
All of the above are significant.

Of course it is subjective. I believe that most NFL refs would have called PI on that. We can't really rely on the judgment of the NFL replay guy because it is obvious they are unwilling to overturn PI calls and non-calls from the field.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
My pre season prediction was a streaky year where you believe they have a chance at some point but it turns out that the thing that gets you beat in the playoffs is obvious before we get there.
The game plan can go away from us very early in games, especially if the first couple of possessions rattle Watson.
Coming up to half time in this one I felt it was a 2 score game, Ravens get the ball second half, so really it shouldn’t be over because get defence into gear and get rolling on offence and that points gap gets turned over pretty quick.
But the feeling was that we were desperately chasing the game, we needed enough magic to score a TD on each possession not enough to somehow outweigh a couple of mistakes we’d made early on.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
My take on this game... it was over when Watson, on the very first play, ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, and then coughed it up. I yelled, “you stupid m’therf’cker! about 5 times in a row at the screen. I told my wife right then that if they end up getting blown out, I’m looking back at that stupid ass play. It immediately set the tone for the game. And sure enough.

Texas Jake

Rookie
I dont see how that wasnt over turned. It was obvious PI, crazy how it was not seen and then not seen again during the challenge !
I think the zebras are making a statement that they are going to ignore the PI review rule. That was blatant PI. It was not the same game after that. Then later in the game we get flagged for PI on a play with minimal contact.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I’ve got news for you, Charlie. The rebuild started in 2014 when O’Brien took over. So, it’s actually year 6 of the 3 year rebuild.
According to some, the rebuild started after Rick Smith left. So, we are in year 2 of the rebuild. Watching how quickly teams like the Rams, Eagles, 49ers, and Ravens have been able to rebuild, maybe the Texans forgot to tell us this rebuild is in dog years.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
According to some, the rebuild started after Rick Smith left. So, we are in year 2 of the rebuild. Watching how quickly teams like the Rams, Eagles, 49ers, and Ravens have been able to rebuild, maybe the Texans forgot to tell us this rebuild is in dog years.
But didn’t it restart after Brian Gaine? So that makes it year 1 of rebuild 3.0?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
But didn’t it restart after Brian Gaine? So that makes it year 1 of rebuild 3.0?
You know it will restart when Caserio gets here, maybe even after Caserio's first draft...we are over a year away from beginning our 3 year rebuild and I'm not even joking. It would take a monumental shift in this teams MO for that not to be the case.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Hopkins is trying to put both arms up so he can catch the ball. The DB hinders Hopkins from getting his right arm up. Catching a football with two hands is significantly easier than with only one hand.

At 0:23 to 0:25, the following things are happening:
The DB has his left hand hooked around Hopkins' left side which is hindering his attempt to get to the ball.
The DB's right hand/forearm is preventing Hopkins from getting his right arm up to the ball.
The DB's body is colliding with Hopkins' back before the ball arrives.
All of the above are significant.

Of course it is subjective. I believe that most NFL refs would have called PI on that. We can't really rely on the judgment of the NFL replay guy because it is obvious they are unwilling to overturn PI calls and non-calls from the field.
I put the replay in slow motion and saw little that can be termed "definite" or "significant".
As I had said, during the game, they also had a replay to show the other side, regarding the "arm bar".
Same thing.
You know that the defender is allowed to put his arm on the receiver, right?
That's what Bouye (and many others DB) did to stay close to the receiver.
I didn't hear any complaint while he was here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
On the potential TD catch the defender clearly rotated Hopkins entire body As the ball was getting there. Hopkins has the skill set to make a one handed catch. So moving him out of position by grabbing and twisting him is interfering.

There was another play where Peters swiped Hopkins hands down as the ball hit them. Again preventing Hopkins from making a play on the ball. Both were obvious egregious plays by the defender.
It looks to me like Hopkins could have jumped for the ball, but he didn't.
Maybe he was trying to get a PI call.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
My take on this game... it was over when Watson, on the very first play, ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, and then coughed it up. I yelled, “you stupid m’therf’cker! about 5 times in a row at the screen. I told my wife right then that if they end up getting blown out, I’m looking back at that stupid ass play. It immediately set the tone for the game. And sure enough.
Sounds like this team is quitting on the coach too easily.

disaacks3

Staff member
I put the replay in slow motion and saw little that can be termed "definite" or "significant".
As I had said, during the game, they also had a replay to show the other side, regarding the "arm bar".
Same thing.
You know that the defender is allowed to put his arm on the receiver, right?
That's what Bouye (and many others DB) did to stay close to the receiver.
I didn't hear any complaint while he was here.
Hey, if you want to keep defending it, that's your call. Just don't keep trying to sell what "you saw" as a factual basis for the non-call.