Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fixing Oline and Secondary (CBs)

srrono

All Pro
I think both need major overall.

CBs are either too slow or old.
Colin sink or swim. If he doesn't fit our system he needs to go.

JoJo has aged out.

K.Johnson is injury prone and lost.

K.Jackson is a FreeAgent so let him go and replace him.
Texans needs 2 new starting CBs.
Maybe a trade for Patrick Peterson.
Draft targets?

Oline needs complete rebuild. We have a franchise QB now we need a Franchise Tackle. Thru draft or FreeAgent this needs to be filled.
Both our tackles are turnstiles. Center is huge problem. Guard not much better.
I think we should sign Trent Brown, OT, Patriots. Age: 26.

B.J. Finney, C/G, Steelers. Age: 27.

Then early in draft get best oline talent available.

Trent Brown, OT, Patriots. Age: 26
there was some doubt as to whether or not Trent Brown could play well on the blind side, but he silenced critics with his performance in 2018. Brown played very well at left tackle, and at just 26 (in April), he has immense potential to eventually emerge on a Pro Bowl level.

Trading for Peterson …. gonna cost a lot of draft capital not to mention the contract. Count me out.

As for KJax , he was your best corner last year …. probably able to keep him for a similar cost leaving you looking for only 1 competent CB either FA or draft , I lean to the draft because even mediocre corners cost so much in FA.

Trent Brown - I'm not buying anything the Pats are selling , if he's that good , Belecheat will give him a competitive offer and he'll stay there , Not overpaying … other FA options??

I think both need major overall.

CBs are either too slow or old.
Colin sink or swim. If he doesn't fit our system he needs to go.

JoJo has aged out.

K.Johnson is injury prone and lost.

K.Jackson is a FreeAgent so let him go and replace him.
Texans needs 2 new starting CBs.
Maybe a trade for Patrick Peterson.
Draft targets?

Oline needs complete rebuild. We have a franchise QB now we need a Franchise Tackle. Thru draft or FreeAgent this needs to be filled.
Both our tackles are turnstiles. Center is huge problem. Guard not much better.
I think we should sign Trent Brown, OT, Patriots. Age: 26.

B.J. Finney, C/G, Steelers. Age: 27.

Then early in draft get best oline talent available.

Why let KJax go when you only have to try and sign another guy who will cost about the same anyway and will have to learn "the system"?

Why let KJax go when you only have to try and sign another guy who will cost about the same anyway and will have to learn "the system"?
The way I see it you can't learn speed. Texans were transitioning him to safety. Unless we are resigning him on the cheap I don't see him staying.

Let's start yet another thread on if KJax should stay or go and another on whether the OL should be upgraded or not. How about one on if RAC is a good coach or not, and maybe one for FA targets?

Oh, oh can we also get a one about firing O'Brien? The other one has started to slow down.

Trading for Peterson …. gonna cost a lot of draft capital not to mention the contract. Count me out.

As for KJax , he was your best corner last year …. probably able to keep him for a similar cost leaving you looking for only 1 competent CB either FA or draft , I lean to the draft because even mediocre corners cost so much in FA.

Trent Brown - I'm not buying anything the Pats are selling , if he's that good , Belecheat will give him a competitive offer and he'll stay there , Not overpaying … other FA options??

You could also take a chance on a guy like Verrett on the cheap and it looks like Jenkins is going to get cut.

If the Pats let Brown go, it will be because they need to sign Trey Flowers and add a WR. They're cap space is limited. Also they drafted Wynn to play LT last yr. Belicheat? Hating on greatness. Best HC of my lifetime. Better than Landry/Walsh/Brown etc... BB his a witch.

Pats would keep him and likely pay him, but they just used their 1st round draft pick on Wynn last season who got hurt in camp and had been showing a lot of promise. They made a panic trade just to get Brown hoping he'd fill in nicely and ended up having a huge season for them. Pats aren't going to pay him, because they have the original guy that was going to play in his spot coming back now. They'll need that money to pay Trey Flowers if they'll even pay him.

Do you want our Oline fixed? You've got to go out and get players to do it. That would give the Texans a lot more leverage and diversity on who they can go after in the draft. Oline has to be their biggest focus.

If the Pats let Brown go, it will be because they need to sign Trey Flowers and add a WR. They're cap space is limited. Also they drafted Wynn to play LT last yr. Belicheat? Hating on greatness. Best HC of my lifetime. Better than Landry/Walsh/Brown etc... BB his a witch.

Exactly. They need that money to resign Flowers. And Flowers may even be to costly for them.

The way I see it you can't learn speed. Texans were transitioning him to safety. Unless we are resigning him on the cheap I don't see him staying.
You aren't realistically going to replace your whole secondary with a bunch of speedy probowlers all in one offseason.
KJax is still decent and played very well last season.

You aren't realistically going to replace your whole secondary with a bunch of speedy probowlers all in one offseason.
We can't sign a improved CB then draft a starter? All I know is standing Pat with this set of CB's is a losing proposition. I like our safety combo. Only other way I see to improve secondary with out signings is bring more pressure. I think its harder and more expensive to bring more pass rushers.

Agreed

But you can spend that money plus some more to get an upgrade at CB like Claiborne/ or Jenkins who would be an upgrade and are still fairly young.

In addition to adding a young talented guy like Verrett even though he has been injury prone on the cheap. Plus you can draft a guy you like too you can also trade for a very cb with a team that has cap issues.

Hopefully Gaine takes a three prong approach to fixing the CB issues and doesn't just use only the draft to fix them

Trent Brown - I'm not buying anything the Pats are selling , if he's that good , Belecheat will give him a competitive offer and he'll stay there

This is the idea that keeps me so lukewarm on Trent Brown and other FA linemen. There seems to be an honest shortage of them in the league. Ergo, no one lets the valuable ones leave. The only exception seems to be when they simply can't be happy in flyover (red) country, and will only find happiness on one of the coasts (blue) country. I can see that .... they'd have to beat me, to make me leave Texas .... makes me nostalgic for the good ole' Southwest Conference of my youth !

This is the idea that keeps me so lukewarm on Trent Brown and other FA linemen. There seems to be an honest shortage of them in the league. Ergo, no one lets the valuable ones leave. The only exception seems to be when they simply can't be happy in flyover (red) country, and will only find happiness on one of the coasts (blue) country. I can see that .... they'd have to beat me, to make me leave Texas .... makes me nostalgic for the good ole' Southwest Conference of my youth !

Trent Brown is from Bastrop,

Bring him back to Texas.

Pats already have Brown's replacement. Brown was actually his replacement as a one year player that they'd maybe keep afterwards, but he did so well that he's maybe the hottest OT on the market this year and he has priced himself out of NE's pay grade. I'm not guaranteeing that he'll be a total stud, but he was really good this year, and this is a big opportunity that wasn't there last year and usually isn't there at all with good Olineman like you said, so the Texans would be really stupid not to address this need now while they can.

Pats already have Brown's replacement. Brown was actually his replacement as a one year player that they'd maybe keep afterwards, but he did so well that he's maybe the hottest OT on the market this year and he has priced himself out of NE's pay grade. I'm not guaranteeing that he'll be a total stud, but he was really good this year, and this is a big opportunity that wasn't there last year and usually isn't there at all with good Olineman like you said, so the Texans would be really stupid not to address this need now while they can.

From your fingers to BG's ears... make it so Gaine!

Trent Brown, OT, Patriots. Age: 26
there was some doubt as to whether or not Trent Brown could play well on the blind side, but he silenced critics with his performance in 2018. Brown played very well at left tackle, and at just 26 (in April), he has immense potential to eventually emerge on a Pro Bowl level.

My problem witb Trent Brown is how much of his success had to do with Dante Scarneccia and Tom Brady? There’s a reason OL who leave the Pats don’t look as good. Nate Solder being the most recent example.

Having a HOF caliber OL coach and QB help a lot. Here he would have an OL coach who’s greatest accomplishment is developing Kendall Lamm into a backup level OT and a young QB who’s biggest weakness is holding the ball too long.

Not saying we shouldn’t sign the guy but i’d temper my expectations.

My problem witb Trent Brown is how much of his success had to do with Dante Scarneccia and Tom Brady? There’s a reason OL who leave the Pats don’t look as good. Nate Solder being the most recent example.

Having a HOF caliber OL coach and QB help a lot. Here he would have an OL coach who’s greatest accomplishment is developing Kendall Lamm into a backup level OT and a young QB who’s biggest weakness is holding the ball too long.

Not saying we shouldn’t sign the guy but i’d temper my expectations.

I get what you're saying, sometimes you gotta take a risk. Brown is much more talented than Solder.

Here's what I feel

Who do you want Brown or Davenport or a drafted rookie protecting Watson's blindside? Particularly when you need a RT and an OG wouldn't hurt my feeling a bit.

But just know that I know how you feel.

I get what you're saying, sometimes you gotta take a risk. Brown is much more talented than Solder.

Here's what I feel

Who do you want Brown or Davenport or a drafted rookie protecting Watson's blindside? Particularly when you need a RT and an OG wouldn't hurt my feeling a bit.

But just know that I know how you feel.
Brown is listed as top FA OT available so grab him then draft best available OL unless there is a higher graded CB. We have 2 second rounders grab 2 OL there.

Trent Brown is from Bastrop,

Bring him back to Texas.
According to info on Brown Bastrop was indeed his birthplace but he spend later years of his youth in GA & FLA so no telling if he still has any family or other ties at all remaining anywhere in Texas ?

Brown is listed as top FA OT available so grab him then draft best available OL unless there is a higher graded CB. We have 2 second rounders grab 2 OL there.

Yep. Could get a CB in round 2 and maybe another Wr in round 2 wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

If Dillard is there you pick him and solve the OT issues for the next 5 years. I really hope this draft is about protecting Watson and providing him the weapons he needs to go to the with the best offenses in the NFL.

According to info on Brown Bastrop was indeed his birthplace but he spend later years of his youth in GA & FLA so no telling if he still has any family or other ties at all remaining anywhere in Texas ?

Bet he does, he was sent off to .Military School so he would be able to get into college. Or was a troubled youth.

Well, in that case, Welcome Trent, "this could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship" !
Yep. Could get a CB in round 2 and maybe another Wr in round 2 wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

If Dillard is there you pick him and solve the OT issues for the next 5 years. I really hope this draft is about protecting Watson and providing him the weapons he needs to go to the with the best offenses in the NFL.

Listening to .... I think Daniel Jeremiah, the other day. He made a stand-alone statement .... "Andre Dillard is the best pass blocking lineman in the draft." I still think Jonah Williams has some of the best feet I've ever seen .... but Jeremiah gets paid a lot more than I do, so .... maybe we should say, "Andre, tell your parents to sell their store .... they don't need that ole' headache anyway" !

You take Dillard if he's still there. He's tough as a Phillies Cheroot. If there are no great OL prospects left, you might take a corner in round 1 and 2 linemen in round 2.

Back