Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Five steps the team must take in the 2020 offseason

It has nothing to do with Watson's style. If anything you'd have to compliment their styles together because Watson had very good offensive numbers this season and last season for a 2nd and 3rd year QB. Most people realize that Watson's stats could be a hell of a lot better with a better offensive coach. They don't see him as the problem at all.

Tex you aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not blaming Watson and, apart from a few games, I agree he had a good season. I just wish the Texans would commit one way or another. If they are insistent that OB remain as HC for the next how ever many years then figure out how to get him the kind of QB he prefers and hope that he becomes the coach they apparently think he is. If they are committed to Watson then get him a HC, or at least an OC, that knows how to scheme and take full advantage of a duel threat QB.

Right now won't fully commit to either lane so they are driving in the middle of the road. That works for a few miles but at some point you are going to have games like the KC one where it all crashes.

It has nothing to do with Watson's style. If anything you'd have to compliment their styles together because Watson had very good offensive numbers this season and last season for a 2nd and 3rd year QB. Most people realize that Watson's stats could be a hell of a lot better with a better offensive coach. They don't see him as the problem at all.

Not against defenses that kept DW4 in the pocket.

Tex you aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not blaming Watson and, apart from a few games, I agree he had a good season. I just wish the Texans would commit one way or another. If they are insistent that OB remain as HC for the next how ever many years then figure out how to get him the kind of QB he prefers and hope that he becomes the coach they apparently think he is. If they are committed to Watson then get him a HC, or at least an OC, that knows how to scheme and take full advantage of a duel threat QB.

Right now won't fully commit to either lane so they are driving in the middle of the road. That works for a few miles but at some point you are going to have games like the KC one where it all crashes.

It crashes against good defenses.

No absolutely not. You do not let O'Brien do anything to the QB situation. Watson is the only QB that can carry him, and that's already been proven. That's part of the problem though. Watson is good enough to carry his sloppy ass to winning seasons. I also forgot to mention Tom Savage and how awful he looked in this offense the times he got to start in it. O'Brien won't get anything. The best thing maybe to happen will be for Watson to get some minor injuries this season where he is out for like 8 games along with other key members of the team and the Texans go 4-12 or something like that. Then maybe O'Brien is finally out of here. The idea that the team would get rid of Watson so that he could target some other QB is totally absurd. He has one of the best young QB's in the league who is the first person that has made OB's offense look anything other than pathetic.

1) Fire Bill O'Brien
2) Fire Bill O'Brien
3) Fire Bill O'Brien
4) Fire Bill O'Brien
5) Oh yeah, and Fire Bill O'Brien!!

McClain: Have Titans passed Texans as AFC South's team to beat?

John McClain , Houston Chronicle Jan. 22, 2020 Updated: Jan. 22, 2020 12:02 p.m.

With the four AFC South teams preparing for the offseason, here are some takeaways on the Texans' attempt to win the division for the fifth time in six years in 2020:

Titans may be favored to win division
After Indianapolis defeated the Texans in a wild card game after the 2018 season, the Colts were favored to win the AFC South the following season. Because the Titans defeated New England and Baltimore on the road to reach the AFC Championship Game at Kansas City, where they lost to the Chiefs, they’ll probably be favored to win the division in 2020.

The Titans had to win the regular-season finale at NRG Stadium to make the playoffs. When Bill O’Brien rested many of his starters, Tennessee won to finish 9-7 for a fourth consecutive season. For the Titans to take the next step and dethrone the Texans as division champions in coach Mike Vrabel’s third season, they have to re-sign running back Derrick Henry and quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Henry was a workhorse over the second half of the season and in the playoffs. He led the NFL in rushing despite missing a game with a hamstring injury. He’s absorbed a lot of punishment, and it’s doubtful he’ll get paid as much as he wants. He can be tagged by the Titans to make sure he can’t leave, but they prefer to sign him.
In his first season with the Titans after being acquired from Miami, Tannehill played better than any previous point in his career. They averaged 32 points and went 7-3 after he replaced the ineffective Marcus Mariota. He led the NFL in completion percentage, yards per attempt and rating. He’ll turn 32 early in training camp, so he’s not likely to get a long-term deal, but the Titans have every intention of signing him.

Texans must improve defensively to stay on top

THE REST OF THE STORY

Can not argue with any of these - full article link below:

1. Get Secondary Help
2. Draft pass rushers
3. The Houston Texans should extend Deshaun Watson
4. Decide on right guard Zach Fulton’s future
5. Bring back Carlos Hyde

Full article:

This guys list is flawed ….

My list would have been

1 Fire OB
2 Hire a competent GM
3 Find a competent HC and OC who runs a WC offense.
4 Acquire secondary help
5 Acquire a pass rusher

1 - I think 6 years of ineptitude us enough …. OB has to go , like last week gone.

2 - The power structure of this franchise is …. just broken. They need a GM that's a Football guy first , that can evaluate talent and put good people around him and the team in general while avoiding "Clowney Debacles."

Need a new cap manager too …. since OB canned the last one - probably for telling him something he didn't like other than "Yes Man".

3 A new OC , I'd expect to build his playbook around Watson's abilities. No more of this square peg in a round hole crap , trying to make Watson into Brady. It aint gonna work. I'd want to see a WCO guy so we're constantly testing the edges and attacking vertically at the same time …. Make a defense "defend" the entire field , not just between the hashes / numbers on half the plays or more.

4 - RAC just didn't have much talent to work with last year , particularly at the CB spots. JJo hasn't been a top tier corner for a couple years now and the rest of those dudes were cast offs …. They definitely need a shot of talent back there.

5 - Yeah , they need another pass rusher …. Reader / Watt / XXX? / Mercilus.
Mercilus isn't a guy that teams have to gameplan against , he's a good technique guy …. need one more quality player up front.

I know the Watson only fans are gonna thro a fit but …. here it is:

No need to extend Watson yet …. It just doesn't make sense to do so before you see him in an offense tailored to suit him. Getting married to a contract that is ~13-15% of the cap for a guy may or may not be the guy just isn't a good idea - Fire OB and put Watson in an offense built for him and then make that decision after a year. If he lights it up …. pay the man. If not …. you have lots of options and saved yourself from a $35m a year mistake.

Back