Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Romeo Crennel ASAP

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Your offensive mastermind scored 13 points. 13. And 7 of those came on an 11 yard field because of a defensive turnover. If you can't point the finger at the offense and see that's the issue, I don't know what to tell you. RAC coached up this lack of talent as best he could. You're really focusing on the wrong thing here.

I bet you scream at Verlander when we lose 2-1 in games he pitches too, right?
Yeah somehow the offense keeps adding talent and the defense keeps losing talent. Yet the defense is still solid while the offense is a dumpster fire.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yeah somehow the offense keeps adding talent and the defense keeps losing talent. Yet the defense is still solid while the offense is a dumpster fire.
Defense is not solid, they still can’t hold the other team when the game is on the line. We beat the Jags because their coaching sucks just as much as ours but they had a rookie QB and they never intended to hang their season on the offense even when Foles was on the field. All off season it was talk of how the Jags a top 5 defense, I’m not seeing it but defense was what they were banking on.

Don’t get me wrong I’m pissed at the offense and leaning towards the fire BoB camp but RAC is a problem to and is not adjusting to deal with this modern, QB driven NFL. It’s why the air game kept killing us all last season and not much has changed this season.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Defense is not solid, they still can’t hold the other team when the game is on the line. We beat the Jags because their coaching sucks just as much as ours but they had a rookie QB and they never intended to hang their season on the offense even when Foles was on the field. All off season it was talk of how the Jags a top 5 defense, I’m not seeing it but defense was what they were banking on.

Don’t get me wrong I’m pissed at the offense and leaning towards the fire BoB camp but RAC is a problem to and is not adjusting to deal with this modern, QB driven NFL. It’s why the air game kept killing us all last season and not much has changed this season.
I’ll agree that RACs system is outdated and his defense has never been clutch. But the offense has to score more points. Watson needs to do better.

mussop

Hall of Fame
This is such an over-reaction. Held a divisional opponent to 12 points, 6 of them coming with time running out, and you can't see how **** the offense was?
Lol they were literally one inch from winning the game at the end with a nobody at QB because RAC is clueless on how to end games. If this is the kind of defense he’s going to continue to run at end of games when there are real QBs on the field we’re screwed.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Lol they were literally one inch from winning the game at the end with a nobody at QB because RAC is clueless on how to end games. If this is the kind of defense he’s going to continue to run at end of games when there are real QBs on the field we’re screwed.
It is called “a game of inches. “

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think it's crazy to criticize Crennel too much. He lost matthieu and clowney, plus he hasn't really been allowed to acquire much in the way of high draft picks or free agents. Just has to find old fashioned value players.

Putting Lonnie on the outside, Roby inside, putting back mercilus into situations to get sacks and cause turnovers. Getting the big guys up the middle and big linebackers who can cover for his scheme. Has developed and acquired solid safeties.

Unlike obrien he understands what guys strengths are and where they'll succeed. He doesn't let a washed guy like Seantrel or mallet stay on the roster, much less win the starting job twice. He doesn't carousel, or sign a million guys at one position hoping one will hit.

That being said I don't really think there is enough talent on these defense to be consistent. There's only so much scheming you can do with the talent level. He doesn't have high picks all over the defense like the offense has, it's gonna be a grind. Lonnie and Joseph will get lit up and the pass rush will be intermittent

Last edited:

Texas Jake

Rookie
I think it's crazy to criticize Crennel too much. He lost matthieu and clowney, plus he hasn't really been allowed to acquire much in the way of high draft picks or free agents. Just has to find old fashioned value players.

Putting Lonnie on the outside, Roby inside, putting back mercilus into situations to get sacks and cause turnovers. Getting the big guys up the middle and big linebackers who can cover for his scheme. Has developed and acquired solid safeties.

Unlike obrien he understands what guys strengths are and where they'll succeed. He doesn't let a washed guy like Seantrel or mallet stay on the roster, much less win the starting job twice. He doesn't carousel, or sign a million guys at one position hoping one will hit.

That being said I don't really think there is enough talent on these defense to be consistent. There's only so much scheming you can do with the talent level. He doesn't have high picks all over the defense like the offense has, it's gonna be a grind. Lonnie and Joseph will get lit up and the pass rush will be intermittent
I have a wait and see attitude on the defense. There are a lot of new pieces. This unit has the potential to improve significantly as they get more playing time together and learn to function as a cohesive unit. There are still problems, but I saw things in game two to be optimistic about. Merculis is doing a good job of filling Clowney's shoes. He is playing the run well and is a better pass rusher. Lonnie Johnson is green, but I think he will play much more aggressively than Colvin once he gets more confident with more time on the field. We can definetly use more aggressive play from the CBs. The DB coverage still isn't where it should be, but I think we are ahead of where we were last year. Time will tell. We faced a rookie, next week we won't have that luxury. The offense will have to get back on track if we want to win.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Would have been nice for the offense to finish the game killing the clock as well. if we execute there the D never sees the field the last drive. Anyway giving it a few weeks, but the weakness on the team is less the roster and more the coaches and personally DW4 needs to be better. We need that top 5 QB who is consistent. Love the guy, but comes in flashes too often. So I see coaching and game mgmt issues, but need that guy that is more consistent. Still feel we can win anytime with him, but will more likely be a wow then just thumping people from start to finish

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Would have been nice for the offense to finish the game killing the clock as well. if we execute there the D never sees the field the last drive. Anyway giving it a few weeks, but the weakness on the team is less the roster and more the coaches and personally DW4 needs to be better. We need that top 5 QB who is consistent. Love the guy, but comes in flashes too often. So I see coaching and game mgmt issues, but need that guy that is more consistent. Still feel we can win anytime with him, but will more likely be a wow then just thumping people from start to finish

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Wow didn't see that
Gave up a 1st rounder and I was shocked. I actually thought Pittsburgh was getting rid of their stars like AB and Bell, had Ben jake an injury, then they could compete with Miami for 0-16 and get their QB of the future. So when I saw they got rid of their #1 for a CB, I knew my conspiracy thinking was dead wrong. If they were the Colts, probably right..

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

This is wrong, RAC got here in 2014. During that time we have drafted, just using the first 3 rounds, Clowney with 1.1, (2014), Johnson 1.16 and McKinney 2.43 (2015), Cunningham 2.57 (2017), Reid 3.68 (2018) and Johnson 2.54 (2019). I didn't dig into the F/A signings because I don't have that kind of time or care that much but draft wise we have committed some high picks to the defense. Not to mention Watt was already here and in his prime.

The defense has been a paper tiger for years now. On paper they look great but when it has mattered they have not been able to make the stops they needed to and teams haven't feared our defense in at least 3 years. Also if he understands guys so much why was Colvin one of the guys being depended on when he had lost 8 of 9 matchups already?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There's only so much scheming you can do with the talent level. He doesn't have high picks all over the defense like the offense has, it's gonna be a grind. Lonnie and Joseph will get lit up and the pass rush will be intermittent

1. DE Jj Watt 1st Round
  2. OLB Whitney Mercilus 1st Round
  3. CB Jonathan Joseph 1st Round
  4. CB Bradley Roby 1st Round
  5. MLB Bernardrick McKinney 2nd Round
  6. WLB Zach Cunningham 2nd Round
Six of eleven starting positions are held by 1st or 2nd round picks. Then you have 2nd round pick LonnieJ as your nickle corner.

I know 9 would be better.

But there's talent on the defensive side of the ball.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
  1. DE Jj Watt 1st Round
  2. OLB Whitney Mercilus 1st Round
  3. CB Jonathan Joseph 1st Round
  4. CB Bradley Roby 1st Round
  5. MLB Bernardrick McKinney 2nd Round
  6. WLB Zach Cunningham 2nd Round
Six of eleven starting positions are held by 1st or 2nd round picks. Then you have 2nd round pick LonnieJ as your nickle corner.

I know 9 would be better.

But there's talent on the defensive side of the ball.
Ok but Watt was already here, one of the first rounders is a rental because he sucked last year (Roby) and the other one is 35 (Joseph).

Meanwhile:
Watson- two firsts
Hyde-second
Duke-traded a third
Hopkins- first
Fuller- first
Stills- trade package, possibly a second
Tight end- I've lost track of how many picks O'Brien spent here
Tunsil- two firsts
Howard- first
Martin- second
Scharping- second
Xsf- second
Rankin- third
Fulton- free agent contract
Jeff allen- free agent contract

It would take more breakdown but it does seem to me that OBrien has spent more because the offense has generally sucked in his tenure

mussop

Hall of Fame
Nothing shocking about it if you’ve been paying attention. It’s why most here have had enough of this phony. He’s just not a good HC. He gets out coached nearly every game. How many times have the team come out for important games and looked completely unprepared? How many times have we played down to crappy opponents? When have any of you ever watched a game where he clearly made adjustments and turned a game around because of them?

Hopefully OB can turn it around but if he fails this year McNair needs to be timely and decisive. Get him out of here quick so we have a shot at the top candidates before others snatch them up. Sweeney isn’t leaving that massive contract so if I’m going the college route I’m calling up Lincoln Riley as soon as allowed.

Of course we’ll probably go after josh McDaniels. :mariopalm:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm dropping this on two threads.

https://houston.sportsmap.com/a-shocking-look-at-bill-obriens-coaching-record-against-top-level-quarterbacks

A shocking look at Bill O'Brien's coaching record against top-level quarterbacks

Thomas Patrizi

Sep 18, 2019, 5:54 am
Surprising to who?

I wasn't even going to read it, but then I said, "If it's surprising then surely we"ve been better than I thought."

Nope. Exactly what we thought.

Cal McNair is probably the only one surprised by this.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Surprising to who?

I wasn't even going to read it, but then I said, "If it's surprising then surely we"ve been better than I thought."

Nope. Exactly what we thought.

Cal McNair is probably the only one surprised by this.
I doubt even Cal is actually surprised, just there has always been a reason/excuse as to why that is. It’s one reason I don’t understand why people are so mad about this season.

Both sides are getting everything they want. If the Texans have a great season then the people that said BoB has been weighted down by bad GM and policy are vindicated. If we have a crap season then the people saying it’s all BoB are shown to be right because he is the man in the Texans org. For those of us in the middle we finally have real evidence as to which side is right.

This is win-win-win, all the better because Cal does seem to be more a “hold their feet to the fire” type of owner than his dad. Anyone that really thought he was going to fire the HC his first season as owner right before the season started wasn’t being realistic.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I doubt even Cal is actually surprised, just there has always been a reason/excuse as to why that is. It’s one reason I don’t understand why people are so mad about this season.
I think it’s because they’ve seen enough of OB to feel confident he’s just not a good HC. He hasn’t improved any of his game time flaws of which there are many. This is a talented team that should be doing better than it is. Year after year of watching incredible talent go to waste becomes more and more difficult. Especially when you watch the games and we’re making the same costly mistakes and getting crappy performances from the same player groups all the time. Neither the offense nor the defense looks like a well oiled machine. We just look sloppy and that is a reflection of coaching. They’ve had enough of the excuses. Well at least that’s how I feel.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I think it’s because they’ve seen enough of OB to feel confident he’s just not a good HC. He hasn’t improved any of his game time flaws of which there are many. This is a talented team that should be doing better than it is. Year after year of watching incredible talent go to waste becomes more and more difficult. Especially when you watch the games and we’re making the same costly mistakes and getting crappy performances from the same player groups all the time. Neither the offense nor the defense looks like a well oiled machine. We just look sloppy and that is a reflection of coaching. They’ve had enough of the excuses. Well at least that’s how I feel.
That’s my point, I’m assuming you read the rest of the post but those people are getting what they want to. A season where there is no excuse, either BoB is part of the solution or he’s part of the problem. We should know for sure after the season.

mws

Rookie
For me it's not just this season. It is more a reaction from last year.

When we came on after losing the first 3 games last year I really thought we had turned the corner. But that abomination of a playoff game brought me back down to earth. It was just the same ole Texans doing the same ole s***.

That's when I really decided that O'Brian just can't get it done.

I'm through giving him the benefit of the doubt until he proves me wrong.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
We have 5 years of data Maverick . Not one or two but 5 bro. He is a big part of the problem.
Not saying he’s not part of the problem, whole F/O and all the coaches are part of the problem. The question has always been how much of the problem is he and if you take an outsider with no skin in the game you could make a convincing argument for both sides.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not saying he’s not part of the problem, whole F/O and all the coaches are part of the problem. The question has always been how much of the problem is he and if you take an outsider with no skin in the game you could make a convincing argument for both sides.

I've had several buddies of mines ask me what the heck is your coach doing. Just like I ask several Cowboys fans what in the world is Garrett doing and why is he still employed. Lol so you can best believe outsiders with decent football knowledge can spot out the culprit.

And to be honest I don't blame Obrien. It's management who gave him all of this power. Obrien to me is one smooth talking mutha joker. He was able to sale his craft like no other. Lol he's the last man standing and he got full control just like he wanted.

Pretty smart huh?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I've had several buddies of mines ask me what the heck is your coach doing. Just like I ask several Cowboys fans what in the world is Garrett doing and why is he still employed. Lol so you can best believe outsiders with decent football knowledge can spot out the culprit.

And to be honest I don't blame Obrien. It's management who gave him all of this power. Obrien to me is one smooth talking mutha joker. He was able to sale his craft like no other. Lol he's the last man standing and he got full control just like he wanted.

Pretty smart huh?
He really doesn't seem smooth talking to me. Saying "relative to" all the time makes him sound dumb and usually doesn't make sense.

It must be that he gets mad and says things like "I know what it takes to win" and acts like a stereotypical coach from the 50s (and calls a similar offense)

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Like I said, 12 points. If the offense did anything of merit, it wouldn't be close. The offense **** the bed, not the defense. This is such a stupid take after only 12 points allowed.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Like I said, 12 points. If the offense did anything of merit, it wouldn't be close. The offense **** the bed, not the defense. This is such a stupid take after only 12 points allowed.
Yeah the offence **** the bed but what has that got to do with RACs “end of game”decision making” which is what my post specifically pointed out? This is such a stupid and meaningless take after I specifically pointed that out.

They let a fkn six round rookie with half a game experience drive all the way down the field and score a TD at the “end of the game”. How are they going to stop the QBs if they can’t keep a freeking nobody from stealing the game away at “the end”? Is that too hard for you to understand?

mussop

Hall of Fame
@PFF: The #Texans defense got it DONE in Week 2! https://t.co/mMTXLlQLCC
Lol yeah they did against a rookie and dumber coach than what we have. Well until it mattered anyway. Then they got a gift wrapped win when the other more stupid coach made two bone headed decisions.

1.) go for two
2.) run up the middle after that hadn’t worked all night.

Lol the good QBs will CONTINUE to feast on this defence. Especially at end of games when it matters most. But hey keep on patting them on the backs for almost but not giving away the game to losers.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Lol yeah they did against a rookie and dumber coach than what we have. Well until it mattered anyway. Then they got a gift wrapped win when the other more stupid coach made two bone headed decisions.

1.) go for two

Lol the good QBs will CONTINUE to feast on this defence. Especially at end of games when it matters most. But hey keep on patting them on the backs for almost but not giving away the game to losers.
I think the secondary will get shredded. We were lucky Lonnie didn't get burned a few times and that they tried to run at the end

Yeah the offence **** the bed but what has that got to do with RACs “end of game”decision making” which is what my post specifically pointed out? This is such a stupid and meaningless take after I specifically pointed that out.

They let a fkn six round rookie with half a game experience drive all the way down the field and score a TD at the “end of the game”. How are they going to stop the QBs if they can’t keep a freeking nobody from stealing the game away at “the end”? Is that too hard for you to understand?
A lightly regarded prospect coming out of college, Brady was selected by the New England Patriots with the 199th overall pick in the sixth round of 2000 NFL Draft and has since spent his entire 19-season career with the Patriots.

While it is rare what Brady has done he has proven it possible.

mussop

Hall of Fame
A lightly regarded prospect coming out of college, Brady was selected by the New England Patriots with the 199th overall pick in the sixth round of 2000 NFL Draft and has since spent his entire 19-season career with the Patriots.

While it is rare what Brady has done he has proven it possible.
Really?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

1.) go for two

I expect a 27-24 game this week and hopefully it ends up like week 2 rather than week 1.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed

Although Minshew looks like a really good young QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You have 2 yrs without the anvil that was RS.

Yes really. The post was in reference to you acting like it is a big deal that a rookie 6th round Quarterback drove down the field late for what should have been a win for his team when Tom Brady has been doing it from the time he first started and all the way till now. Also there have been some other Quarterbacks who were drafted in the sixth round who went on to have fairly productive careers. Gardner Minshew went on to beat the Titans and looked pretty poised and good in doing so. Our defense could have been better but Ill give credit where credit is due. Gardner Minshew is a pretty good looking Quarterback prospect. We will see how things go with him as teams scout him and adjust to what they think will slow him down or stop him.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Yes really. The post was in reference to you acting like it is a big deal that a rookie 6th round Quarterback drove down the field late for what should have been a win for his team when Tom Brady has been doing it from the time he first started and all the way till now. Also there have been some other Quarterbacks who were drafted in the sixth round who went on to have fairly productive careers. Gardner Minshew went on to beat the Titans and looked pretty poised and good in doing so. Our defense could have been better but Ill give credit where credit is due. Gardner Minshew is a pretty good looking Quarterback prospect. We will see how things go with him as teams scout him and adjust to what they think will slow him down or stop him.
Lol yeah it is a really big deal. Name one Late round QB that came in his rookie year and with his team behind with time running out drove the length of the field to score a TD in his first start. I’ll wait! So you don’t wast your time no Brady didn’t even do that. He didn’t even start his rookie year.

Minshew does look composed and like a good prospect. No doubt.

Doesn’t mean in his first start as a rookie he should be able to do what he did on that last drive. That’s more a reflection on how poor our defensive coordinators ability is to put together a scheme in those situations than how good Minshew is.

When a rookie in his first start can manipulate his way to a TD in that situation what do you think good QBs are going to do?

Lol yeah it is a really big deal. Name one Late round QB that came in his rookie year and with his team behind with time running out drove the length of the field to score a TD in his first start. I’ll wait! So you don’t wast your time no Brady didn’t even do that. He didn’t even start his rookie year.

Minshew does look composed and like a good prospect. No doubt.

Doesn’t mean in his first start as a rookie he should be able to do what he did on that last drive. That’s more a reflection on how poor our defensive coordinators ability is to put together a scheme in those situations than how good Minshew is.

When a rookie in his first start can manipulate his way to a TD in that situation what do you think good QBs are going to do?
Gardner Minshew did not even need late game heroics to win his last start. I think that trumps what he was able to do to us. He proved those late game heroics were no fluke.

Having said that, I am with you to an extent, I am not worried so much about good Qbs as I am the great Qbs. We win or lose close games to good to avg Qbs but the elite Qbs torch us. Of coarse it really becomes a problem when we not only are taking on teams with elite Qbs but also elite coaches on other teams.

I think RC did a solid job running our defense last week until late in the game. I do agree that RC has his shortcomings but I do not see the need to fire him just yet. Lets see how things pan out as the season progresses. It is too early in the season in my opinion. If we start to look like a team that is losing our chance at the playoffs and our coaches appear to be a big reason than I am all aboard the fire wagon.