Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Romeo Crennel ASAP

mussop

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Breeze is very good but he can be rattled in the pocket.
That’s the point. It doesn’t matter who you are you get hit enough it effects you. Instead of just letting them march down the field behind a clean pocket why not send the house and make them pay to play? It’s not like we’re going to stop them anyway. At least this way there’s a chance.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Even though Colvin was terrible, he shouldsho been the darn scapegoat. I guess they're going to cut all the d-line to since they didn't even breathe on Breezy.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Watt literally made the nfl all pro first team (edge rusher) and second team (interior DL) yet Clowney surpassed him last year?

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:2820450002

Clowney had 1 vote out of 50 nfl writers

Here’s the actual numbers:

JJ Watt stats 2018

Forced fumbles 7

Sacks 16

TFLs 18

QB hits 25

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00.htm

Clowney stats 2018

Forced fumbles 1

Sacks 9

TFLs 16

QB hits 21

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClowJa00.htm
Well I don't really care for voting awards

But look at the tfl and QB hits. Almost the same despite clowney being doubled more and being dropped in coverage at times

Texansballer74

The Marine
Colvin was not the scape goat, he played absolutely horrible and when added to RAC suspect defense calls it cost us the game. RAC called some bad plays but they were made worse by Colvin doing them wrong.

A lot of players played horrendously on that defense. The entire front couldn't get any pressure whatsoever. Crennel didn't draw up any type of schemes to help the entire secondary out, let along the defense in general.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
A lot of players played horrendously on that defense. The entire front couldn't get any pressure whatsoever. Crennel didn't draw up any type of schemes to help the entire secondary out, let along the defense in general.
Not disagreeing with you but you can’t cut the entire defense and Colvin didn’t have a bad game he has made having a bad game an art and this was his Mona Lisa.

I think one of the big problems with the defensive backfield is they have very little time playing together. Unfortunately starters play very little in preseason any more. Right now they are playing as individuals and not as a unit. Until that changes, we are going to have problems
We have had issues with our secondary for quite some time now. How much of that do we put on coaching? I think a big part of it is we can't generate consistent pressure on opposing Qb's.

Last edited:

mussop

Hall of Fame
That’s the point. It doesn’t matter who you are you get hit enough it effects you. Instead of just letting them march down the field behind a clean pocket why not send the house and make them pay to play? It’s not like we’re going to stop them anyway. At least this way there’s a chance.
I’d also like to add that when you play soft you let these elite QBs get in a rhythm.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I’d also like to add that when you play soft you let these elite QBs get in a rhythm.
There are only two ways to deal with elite QBs. Either you cover their receivers so well they have to throw into a crowd or you put them under so much pressure they have to make the snap and the throw pretty much one motion and can’t stop to think about it. We don’t have the talent to win 1v1 with receivers so that just means be on the QB like a pack of starving wolves on a deer.

There are only two ways to deal with elite QBs. Either you cover their receivers so well they have to throw into a crowd or you put them under so much pressure they have to make the snap and the throw pretty much one motion and can’t stop to think about it. We don’t have the talent to win 1v1 with receivers so that just means be on the QB like a pack of starving wolves on a deer.
I think letting Omenihu play a decent amount of snaps would have helped.

deucetx

Rookie
My issues with Romeo were before this game. His "bend but not break" approach eats us alive against the more talented QB's which are the guys we have to contain to actually win something of significance. As we all know he has his corners so far off the ball it becomes a routine joke. It's okay to do this at times of course. As someone who played the spot and coached some youngsters I learned there are just some guys who reacted to the offense and covered better this way. Problem is we do this consistently. I still remember last year when most of us noted we were defending someone within ten yards of the goal and our corners were in the middle of the endzone. Or a 3rd and 4 and our guy was ten yards back. That makes no sense what so ever.

The other issue is the lack of creativity. This last game alone I would applaud the Saints D coordinator for his various blitz and stunt packages versus our own. There is no Clowney which means Watt will get what he had in that game. Double team, schemes specifically just built for him, tight end chip blocks. Saints spoke about the gameplan they used on him. Well...ok. So where is everyone else? How can the right guard so easily take an interior step to make sure the center is holding his own then move to help the right tackle with Watt? Why isn't anyone hitting that gap to force Watt in one on one's or expose the gap that came from that blocking scheme? They did it several times in the game and we did nothing to take advantage.

Crennel just doesn't seem to adapt. He holds to whatever his plan is going into the game and adjustments don't seem to happen often enough to catch an offense off guard. At least not offenses we must learn to deal with if we want something more than a AFC South title and swift exit.

That **** hurt worse than the playoff loss.

You literally have a chance to beat a top 4 team at home and gain momentum/make a statement going into the season and you lose because of poor defensive coaching and the kicker literally making best kick of his life.
Just like the NE game 2 years ago, the Philly game last year. The Seattle game....

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I like having more than one game plan ready and switching it up at halftime, even if the first one had been working. Saints adjusted, Romeo never did. I have to wonder when they watched the tape if they saw the scheme was still ok but Colvin made it have too weak of a link. I think the Saints diagnosed the scheme and targeted the weak link though

Dejaview

All Pro
I think letting Omenihu play a decent amount of snaps would have helped.
Did Lonnie Johnson play? I’ve got to learn all the new numbers. Martin didn’t see much action either. RAC has said so many times he does not like to play rookies because they make rookie mistakes.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Did Lonnie Johnson play? I’ve got to learn all the new numbers. Martin didn’t see much action either. RAC has said so many times he does not like to play rookies because they make rookie mistakes.
LJ only played special team snaps. Look for Roby to move inside and LJ get some snaps unless the new slot corner signed is somehow ready and they see that stronger

Dejaview

All Pro
LJ only played special team snaps. Look for Roby to move inside and LJ get some snaps unless the new slot corner signed is somehow ready and they see that stronger
Yeah things are still sorting out. Pretty good game considering all the last minute changes. That new slot corner has some jets as does Johnson. We could really use LJ’s attitude now. Tighten that up, plug in Howard and hopefully Roderick and just start jelling.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You can't just create a game plan and then that's what we are sticking with come hell or high scores. The best offenses, and no I'm not including the Texans in that, switch it up not even have half time but play to play to learn what works. Brady is not a great example because he's Brady but its all I have time to think of right now. If a defense shuts down Brady's short pass he goes to the long bomb, if they shut down that he goes to the short pass, if they manage to shut down the pass altogether that start running it. That's the kind of stuff you have to deal with.

People compare it to chess but I don't like that comparison because in chess but sides are equal and both players have a plan they tend to stick to. I compare it more to poker, you may have better cards than the other guy but if he plays his hand better and makes you scare to bet then he is going to win no matter what the cards are. RAC looked scared to bet in that game and NO upped the bet till he folded. Didn't help that Brees is always an ace you know they are holding.

mussop

Hall of Fame
My issues with Romeo were before this game. His "bend but not break" approach eats us alive against the more talented QB's which are the guys we have to contain to actually win something of significance. As we all know he has his corners so far off the ball it becomes a routine joke. It's okay to do this at times of course. As someone who played the spot and coached some youngsters I learned there are just some guys who reacted to the offense and covered better this way. Problem is we do this consistently. I still remember last year when most of us noted we were defending someone within ten yards of the goal and our corners were in the middle of the endzone. Or a 3rd and 4 and our guy was ten yards back. That makes no sense what so ever.

The other issue is the lack of creativity. This last game alone I would applaud the Saints D coordinator for his various blitz and stunt packages versus our own. There is no Clowney which means Watt will get what he had in that game. Double team, schemes specifically just built for him, tight end chip blocks. Saints spoke about the gameplan they used on him. Well...ok. So where is everyone else? How can the right guard so easily take an interior step to make sure the center is holding his own then move to help the right tackle with Watt? Why isn't anyone hitting that gap to force Watt in one on one's or expose the gap that came from that blocking scheme? They did it several times in the game and we did nothing to take advantage.

Crennel just doesn't seem to adapt. He holds to whatever his plan is going into the game and adjustments don't seem to happen often enough to catch an offense off guard. At least not offenses we must learn to deal with if we want something more than a AFC South title and swift exit.
Exactly Needed to be reposted. RAC just doesn’t make adjustments. For that matter neither does OB but let’s not get off topic.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Exactly Needed to be reposted. RAC just doesn’t make adjustments. For that matter neither does OB but let’s not get off topic.
Kinda hard to adjust for being outgunned at multiple positions. We're just lucky they didn't figure out we can't match up with Kamara in the flats.

We should have won that game. I'm not saying different. But I can't wait to see the team to hold N.O. below 27 points this season.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I know there was chatter about discussions with Reader and Mercilus. Not sure who is slow playing it. Mercilus gave us a good deal last time, he may press harder this time knowing we are light at edge. Both of these are BOB type guys so I expect a deal to get done. Good teammate, hard worker, you know. I like them both too at a fair price

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Take away RAC's 2nd best defender and then blame HIM for the bad play LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seems those "meager" JD stats are harder to make up with JAGS. SMH.
No, my disgust for RC begins and ends with his defenses coming up short when the team needs them most......to come up big. This was happening when both Watt and Clowney were healthy as well. In my book, it wouldn't have mattered if we had Clowney for those final 37 seconds.....RC''s scheme allowed Brees to find his receivers at will.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
No, my disgust for RC begins and ends with his defenses coming up short when the team needs them most......to come up big. This was happening when both Watt and Clowney were healthy as well. In my book, it wouldn't have mattered if we had Clowney for those final 37 seconds.....RC''s scheme allowed Brees to find his receivers at will.
RAC is notorious for bend don't break. In those situations, it will not work. The NFL is so pass-heavy now, that moving the ball 30-40 yards is easy. His system hasn't evolved through the years and it's obvious to everyone outside of the Texans organization.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Don't look now but this is the last year of Mercilus' contract.
Why extend Martin and not Mercilus??
mercilous isn’t the player he was just a couple of years ago. Unless he’s signing a very cheap deal he can go. But yeah the Martin contract is a head scratcher.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
mercilous isn’t the player he was just a couple of years ago. Unless he’s signing a very cheap deal he can go. But yeah the Martin contract is a head scratcher.
I'm not one for giving up production unless I got someone up & coming to replace it. I don't think Mercilus will ask for stupid money. I'm willing to pay for that experience; i.e., a bit more than a "very cheap deal". One year with an option for a second, with bonuses for X no. of sacks/INTs/FFs etc.

mussop

Hall of Fame
I'm not one for giving up production unless I got someone up & coming to replace it. I don't think Mercilus will ask for stupid money. I'm willing to pay for that experience; i.e., a bit more than a "very cheap deal". One year with an option for a second, with bonuses for X no. of sacks/INTs/FFs etc.
Absolutely have no problem with an incentive laden contract. But After the Martin contract they’ll probably offer him 95 million with 50 guaranteed.

Mercilous was terrible last week holding the edge. He doesn’t have any real go to pass rush moves. He looks very average out there. Hopefully he rebounds or Iminihue (sp?) blossoms. At this point I’m hoping for a Taco. He’s been a disappointment in Dallas but he has the athleticism we lack and he killed us in the preseason. Maybe he just needs a change of address.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
This is such an over-reaction. Held a divisional opponent to 12 points, 6 of them coming with time running out, and you can't see how **** the offense was?
Yeah, i think JJ Watt is getting stronger after his groin injury and the secondary is taking a little time to learn to play together.

This Jaguars team has been labelled a powerhouse in the recent past and although they make a joke of themselves by imploding year after year you still have to respect the talent level.

mws

Rookie
Kinda hard to adjust for being outgunned at multiple positions. We're just lucky they didn't figure out we can't match up with Kamara in the flats.

We should have won that game. I'm not saying different. But I can't wait to see the team to hold N.O. below 27 points this season.
Well, you only had to wait one week. Rams beat them 27 to 9 yesterday.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Settling for more than mediocrity is never an "over-reaction".
Your offensive mastermind scored 13 points. 13. And 7 of those came on an 11 yard field because of a defensive turnover. If you can't point the finger at the offense and see that's the issue, I don't know what to tell you. RAC coached up this lack of talent as best he could. You're really focusing on the wrong thing here.

I bet you scream at Verlander when we lose 2-1 in games he pitches too, right?