Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Palmer Now! and the 3-4!

S

SESupergenius

Clowns.

Palmer did a fantastic job today especially when the customary role over in the 4th quarter was goint to rear its head, he throw the ball! Wow, what a concept . Keep adding pressure to the team instead of playing to kill the clock. Great calls on the slants to keep pressure off of Carr.

As far as the 3-4, it may look like it didn't do much but trust me, they put pressure on Collins like nobody's business. That sack by Sharper was a classic 3-4 blitz move. Glad to see them pull that off. Collins had to slip back into the 3 step drop many times because of it.

Defense did good.. 3-4 is the way to go.. besides.. everyone talking about going to a 4-3 seems to forget that our coaches, including our headcoach, are geniuses of the 3-4 and dont have much experience running the 4-3.

As for palmer.. he had moments of genius.. but the 3 rushes by wells on the 10 yard line were absolutely horrible.. i dont know what he was trying to accomplish with that, hes just lucky that he didnt lose the game for us with that ****.

And as long as we are talking about coaches.. i know hindsight is 20/20 and if it had worked I probably wouldnt be saying anything right now.. BUT GOD DANG IT WHY DIDNT WE CHALLENGE THE SPOT OF THE BALL ON THAT PLAY!

If we could get another run stuffer I'd really like to see the Texans do what the Patriots do and mix it up some. It's harder to game plan when the other team runs so many different defensive sets. Still, this game might have been the best pressure I've seen. Collins had a few knockdowns and was forced to scramble and throw it away a couple of times. Overall, the defense made the plays when they had to make them.

let's see, our line was mowing them down and you complain about us running it 3 straight? Nope, I had no problem with that. Besides I think Carr audibled into a run.

SESupergenius said:
let's see, our line was mowing them down and you complain about us running it 3 straight? Nope, I had no problem with that. Besides I think Carr audibled into a run.

Agree, I know Carr checked to a run on at least one of those. The Texans played there best game as a franchise today. Cudos to the team and staff. I just want to give an honorable mention to the home crowd. Man, If we can consistantly cause that many off-sides at home, Reliant will be feared by opposing teams. Great game, great crowd, great day to be a Houston sports fan. Enjoy while it lasts.

1. Wells was running well but was RARELY going for more than about 4 yards. His numbers can be attributed to a few good runs, and a slew of average ones.

2. I beleive we were running better to the OTHER side of the line.. if nothing else.. we could have at LEAST tried running to the other side.

3. If you are going to run it 3 times in a row.. how about giving hollings a shot?

I just dont get it. Honestly, run it once.. fine.. audible into a run the second time.. ok fine.. but a 3rd time? to the same side? after gaining NOTHING the first two times? with a runner that was hardly breaking away for more than 4 yards all night?

You can make excuses all you want but it was a brain fart. if it had cost us the game yall wouldnt feel so forgiving about it.

Grid said:
His numbers can be attributed to a few good runs, and a slew of average ones.
He was consistently making yards after contact and coming up big in critical situations. His longest run was only like 14 yards, so he was obviously very consistent all game long. Without that hold on Gaff, he would've had a bunch more yards. He played about as good a game as you can ever ask for.
Wells came up HUGE for us today.

With all that said... the three runs in a row pissed me off too. It was to early to get ultra conservative, especially after the HUGE pick by Robinson.

I was not crazy about the 3 straight runs deep on Oakland's territory in the 3rd quarter, or the reverse-pass by Gaffney around their 30 yard line. Other than that, everyone did great, especially D-Rob. It was only a matter of time before he got his picks, teams were going to pick on him to no end until he showed he can make them pay, and he did. My game ball goes to D-Rob!

1. Wells was running well but was RARELY going for more than about 4 yards. His numbers can be attributed to a few good runs, and a slew of average ones.

I'll take a 4 yard average and what he gave us today any day of the week.

Chicken Little???????

My point wasnt that wells did a bad job. I was impressed by wells and he really stepped up when we needed him to.

What I was saying is that we were about 10 yards from the goal line and Wells was RARELY running for more than 4 yards.. thats your clue to STOP GIVING HIM THE DAMN BALL AND PASS IT.

thats all i was saying.

SESupergenius said:

Sorry, but I don't think we were close to "mowing them down". We just didn't stink it up like we did at Arrowhead. O-line was competent, but by no means spectacular IMO. They're definitely no KC, Green Bay, or Ravens O-lines where you say, "Wow, that Line is kicking kicking the **** out of that D".

Grid said:

2. I beleive we were running better to the OTHER side of the line.. if nothing else.. we could have at LEAST tried running to the other side.

3. If you are going to run it 3 times in a row.. how about giving hollings a shot?

I just dont get it. Honestly, run it once.. fine.. audible into a run the second time.. ok fine.. but a 3rd time? to the same side? after gaining NOTHING the first two times? with a runner that was hardly breaking away for more than 4 yards all night?

You can make excuses all you want but it was a brain fart. if it had cost us the game yall wouldnt feel so forgiving about it.

Grid said:
My point wasnt that wells did a bad job. I was impressed by wells and he really stepped up when we needed him to.

What I was saying is that we were about 10 yards from the goal line and Wells was RARELY running for more than 4 yards.. thats your clue to STOP GIVING HIM THE DAMN BALL AND PASS IT.

thats all i was saying.

1)Wells played, well, well. He didn't have any "big" runs but avg. about four yards per carry. 3x4=12
2)Okay, so why did Carr chose that side when he audibled? You know better than the quarterback AND the offensive coordinator which side of our line is on the high?
3)Wells was running fine, not to mention putting in Hollings would telegraph that it was a run because he's the worse pass blocker (as should be expected) on the Texans backfield roster.

Brainfart ?? Who Palmer or Carr? Carr checked to a run at least once in the series and had the authority to change that third play into a pass, assuming it wasn't originally a pass. My opinion, no excuse needed by either.

The line was playing well. Wells made about four yards everytime he carried the ball. That means the odds are with you calling three running plays. 4x3=12

You know, hindsight is 20-20. Sunday-afternoon coaches (quarterbacks) are usually even MORE knee-jerk than than their Monday morning cousins.
They won and the guys can't get kudos.

but the 3 rushes by wells on the 10 yard line were absolutely horrible.. i dont know what he was trying to accomplish with that, hes just lucky that he didnt lose the game for us with that ****.
Did you notice the Carr check-off on 3rd and 7? None of us really know what Carr's options were when he came up to the line.

Actually it was 4 Wells rushes in a row from the 12. The first one was on a 2nd and 3 and he gained 5 yards and a first down. I guess that wasn't a bad play call because it worked?

Kind of like their second drive of the game when they started run-run. No one remembers the second running play (the 2nd and 7) because Wells ran for 14 yards and a first down.

Kind of like the final clock killing drive when they ran Wells 4 straight times (4, 3, 5, 5) to get from their own 1 yard line out to the 18. If any of those had failed, the play calling posse would have been screaming for Palmer's head. Why aren't we hearing about that "bad" play calling? Four runs in a row with the game on the line -- my god why didn't we run a screen or a bootleg or throw to the tight end? How could we be so super-ultra-conservative all the time?

Think it might have anything to do with execution?

Seems to me it's the play calling only when it doesn't work.

If the Texans cause turnovers(5), stop on 3rd down something like 3/14 , and allow 17 points a game then I will live with amos Z. having a career game. No it was no a perfect defense performance but it was the kind that wins you football games.

aj. said:
Kind of like the final clock killing drive when they ran Wells 4 straight times (4, 3, 5, 5) to get from their own 1 yard line out to the 18. If any of those had failed, the play calling posse would have been screaming for Palmer's head. Why aren't we hearing about that "bad" play calling? Four runs in a row with the game on the line -- my god why didn't we run a screen or a bootleg or throw to the tight end? How could we be so super-ultra-conservative all the time?

Think it might have anything to do with execution?

Seems to me it's the play calling only when it doesn't work.
Maybe no one is saying it was bad play calling because of the situation. It's one thing to call 4 straight runs from your 1 yard line with a 10 point lead. It's another to run up the middle on back/back plays when you're down 12 in the 4th quarter with the clock running.

Maybe no one is saying it was bad play calling because the Texans did pass 4 times in that drive and picked up 51 of the 73 yards gained through the air. Give credit where credit is due, the Texans wouldn't have gotten in position for that FG & run 7:33 off the clock without passing the football.

Frankly, I don't get your point. Are you saying that the coaches can pull any play out of a hat and it's up to the players to make it work? Or is every play called the perfect play, and it's the players who make or break it? I think everyone would agree that some balance between strategy and execution on both sides of that ball determines the results in the outcome of a given play.

Credit the Texan offensive staff with developing a game plan that gained 386 yards against a good Raider defense. Credit the O-line coaches with designing the pass protection schemes that allowed David Carr to stay on his feet much of the day. Today was their day. But no one is flawless or above criticism. A play can fail by design just as easily as a play can fail by lack of execution. The Texans are a deserving 2-2, and the players & coaches share in the successes & failures. I think even they would agree with that.

Back