Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fire Crenell,. Trade Watson & Cut Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleShorty

Practice Squad
Down 20 in the 4th quarter and Crenell's kicking field goals.
Of course with "Game On the Line Guaranteed Choke" Watson at QB Crenell knew the Houston Dumpster Fires couldn't score a TD until trash time. You could probably get a 5th rounder for the full time HEB Spokesman and Part-Time QB...
Is JJ Watt even dressing for games? If so he's embarrassing himself. He spends more time on his back than an upside down turtle...

Fire, trade and cut. 1-6 Why wait?

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Of course with "Game On the Line Guaranteed Choke" Watson at QB Crenell knew the Houston Dumpster Fires couldn't score a TD until trash time. You could probably get a 5th rounder for the full time HEB Spokesman and Part-Time QB...
Is JJ Watt even dressing for games? If so he's embarrassing himself. He spends more time on his back than an upside down turtle...

Dang Shorty, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel!

Texansballer74

The Marine
I wouldn't be happy trading Watson ... I can't wait to see what a different coach can squeeze out of him next year.

I just want to dump all the dead weight in the mean time and create as much cap space as is possible so they can put a good team around him.
Good deal, I want them to get rid of the dead weight too. I just don’t see how they will and how it will make them better. I guess I have to see who they will land as the GM and HC. Will they be able to coach them up and will they be able to build around Watson. Can they maximize his skill set? What DC will they bring on board? Etc etc etc

Texaninlild

Veteran

Gee that is a great plan.

Go find your binky and and calm down.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Good deal, I want them to get rid of the dead weight too. I just don’t see how they will and how it will make them better. I guess I have to see who they will land as the GM and HC. Will they be able to coach them up and will they be able to build around Watson. Can they maximize his skill set? What DC will they bring on board? Etc etc etc

How does it make them better ?

Just look at WFV and Stills .... Both are FA's after this season.

Are either likely to be here next year ? I doubt it and if that's the case , why wouldn't you get a draft pick for them now while creating actual cap space and increasing your cap roll over all at the same time.

If they walk in the offseason you still get the cap space but you don't get the draft pick or the cap roll over.

McKinney .... Is he worth worth $7m in cap space or can you get what he brings for a fraction of that ?

Keke Coutie .... has he played a snap this year ?

Nick Martin - Could the position really get any worse?

David Johnson - you really want this guy back ? He has such great vision .... :rolleyes:

If players aren't likely to be on next years roster - why wouldn't you try to get what you can for them in the mean time ?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

Are either likely to be here next year ? I doubt it and if that's the case , why wouldn't you get a draft pick for them now while creating actual cap space and increasing your cap roll over all at the same time.

If they walk in the offseason you still get the cap space but you don't get the draft pick or the cap roll over.

McKinney .... Is he worth worth $7m in cap space or can you get what he brings for a fraction of that ?

David Johnson - you really want this guy back ? He has such great vision .... :rolleyes:

If players aren't likely to be on next years roster - why wouldn't you try to get what you can for them in the mean time ?
Personally, I’d like to add Mercilus and maybe even Cunningham to your list. I’m tired of watching piss poor tackling from those 2. I can’t stand the stupid air guitar thing either. Murray has to go as well.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Watson is the only piece that I’m not willing to trade. Anyone else can go and I’m less interested in the recouped draft picks than the salary dump so I’m not haggling too much over who gets a conditional 7th round pick as a sweetener. Deal done, get off the phone and get working on the next expensive chump to leave town.
I expect a coach could have a young defence looking much improved next year, but the following year we will have some nice draft picks to add in and get back to building for a championship.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson is the only piece that I’m not willing to trade. Anyone else can go and I’m less interested in the recouped draft picks than the salary dump so I’m not haggling too much over who gets a conditional 7th round pick as a sweetener. Deal done, get off the phone and get working on the next expensive chump to leave town.
I expect a coach could have a young defence looking much improved next year, but the following year we will have some nice draft picks to add in and get back to building for a championship.
They do need to get back to rebuilding the team.

There will be no championships though.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Might as well. That way everyone is happy.
The only reason I'd trade Watson is to give him a fighting chance with a franchise that has its act together.

As it is right now, he's the only fighting chance the Texans have, and they are probably going to do to him what they did to their other first round QB.

You can already see some tendencies forming, those phantom footsteps and uncertainty about pass protection, the lack of trust in management and lack of belief in the scheme.

Put #4 on a team that actually runs like a championship franchise and dude would flourish. Right now, under the best scenario, the Texans are looking at a long term rebuild that will use up the best years of Watson's career.

I have zero confidence that the Texans owners will ever pull their heads out long enough to build something great. Cal is in over his head. He's unqualified, and that will impact this organization for years (maybe decades) to come. That's just the way it is.

Safe bet with that curse on Houston Football and everything.
Yep. :voodoo:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be happy trading Watson ... I can't wait to see what a different coach can squeeze out of him next year.

I just want to dump all the dead weight in the mean time and create as much cap space as is possible so they can put a good team around him.
I thought you said Watson's dead money would prevent him from being traded?

badboy

Hall of Fame

I had a vision about David Johnson but it turned into a nightmare

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
The only reason I'd trade Watson is to give him a fighting chance with a franchise that has its act together.

As it is right now, he's the only fighting chance the Texans have, and they are probably going to do to him what they did to their other first round QB.

You can already see some tendencies forming, those phantom footsteps and uncertainty about pass protection, the lack of trust in management and lack of belief in the scheme.

Put #4 on a team that actually runs like a championship franchise and dude would flourish. Right now, under the best scenario, the Texans are looking at a long term rebuild that will use up the best years of Watson's career.

I have zero confidence that the Texans owners will ever pull their heads out long enough to build something great. Cal is in over his head. He's unqualified, and that will impact this organization for years (maybe decades) to come. That's just the way it is.

Yep. :voodoo:
The funny thing is that Cal’s ineptitude is one the easiest things to fix, hire good people and watch football on Sunday’s like the rest of us.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The funny thing is that Cal’s ineptitude is one the easiest things to fix, hire good people and watch football on Sunday’s like the rest of us.
Yep, I agree.

But, I seriously question his ability to self-analyze to realize his own ineptness, especially when his new BFF Easterby is whispering sweet banalities into both of his ears.

He is the naked emperor and has surrounded himself with yes-men that compliment him on how pretty his clothes are every day.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt while they figure out the GM & HC, but my expectations are extremely low to non-existent. And that's based on their history.

The reality is that it is going to take some extremely competent people to get this franchise out of salary-cap hell and be able to evaluate talent at all rounds (and FA) that is desperately needed to fill in the ranks.

Does Cal & Co. have it in them to actually hire all those competent people everywhere they will be required?

Magic8OutlookNotGood.jpg

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Yep, I agree.

But, I seriously question his ability to self-analyze to realize his own ineptness, especially when his new BFF Easterby is whispering sweet banalities into both of his ears.

He is the naked emperor and has surrounded himself with yes-men that compliment him on how pretty his clothes are every day.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt while they figure out the GM & HC, but my expectations are extremely low to non-existent. And that's based on their history.

The reality is that it is going to take some extremely competent people to get this franchise out of salary-cap hell and be able to evaluate talent at all rounds (and FA) that is desperately needed to fill in the ranks.

Does Cal & Co. have it in them to actually hire all those competent people everywhere they will be required?

View attachment 6928
Watch out for snake oil salesmen.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep, I agree.

View attachment 6928
Spot On

Like for use of the word Banalities

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans could never trade into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence who’d be the draft darling in 2021.

On the other hand, there may be another QB worth watching later in 2021 or earlier in 2022. Watch out for this newest Wilson product at BYU. He may be a sleeper at the moment but his stock could go way up after the season and Combine if he opts to enter the draft. I’d like to see him take another season and then make himself available in 2022.

I’m not saying I’d move Watson but 2022 would be a nice time to add a real development QB to the mix. It would give the Texans options come 2024 since being prepared for any situation is the best move. It would be a little Belichickish.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans could never trade into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence who’d be the draft darling in 2021.

On the other hand, there may be another QB worth watching later in 2021 or earlier in 2022. Watch out for this newest Wilson product at BYU. He may be a sleeper at the moment but his stock could go way up after the season and Combine if he opts to enter the draft. I’d like to see him take another season and then make himself available in 2022.

I’m not saying I’d move Watson but 2022 would be a nice time to add a real development QB to the mix. It would give the Texans options come 2024 since being prepared for any situation is the best move. It would be a little Belichickish.
Love Wilson, people are sleeping on him.

Lawrence like.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Numerous trade offers from who and for who? Serious question...
When GM Watson was interviewed a couple of days ago, he made some interesting statements. "Nobody's going anywhere." "Them boys ain't getting traded." "That was something that we squashed."

I can tell you that offers have been made for Stills, Cook, Du Johnson, Cobb, Fuller, Fells, Mercilus and Watt. I can't tell you who the teams of some inquiries are, because I haven't been given that information. Sorry, but I can't reveal those teams that I do know are in conversations with the Texans.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
When GM Watson was interviewed a couple of days ago, he made some interesting statements. "Nobody's going anywhere." "Them boys ain't getting traded." "That was something that we squashed."

I can tell you that offers have been made for Stills, Cook, Du Johnson, Cobb, Fuller, Fells, Mercilus and Watt. I can't tell you who the teams of some inquiries are, because I haven't been given that information. Sorry, but I can't reveal those teams that I do know are in conversations with the Texans.
Every single one of those I’d be accepting without asking what compensation is being offered. You’ve just listed enough of a clear out to give us a clean slate. Can use the cap freed up to flat cut McKinney and Cunningham and then the rebuild begins under a new coach in the off season.

You seem to be saying Watson has far more control than a player should. Outside of Watt not a single one of those players is anything special and unless JJ has a Delorean then he isn’t either. Dump the salary now and rebuild the right way.

UncleShorty

Practice Squad
could u image Watson to the Colts or Jags ........ man that would be something prob a nightmare for 15 straight years
Wow, that would mean that the Colts or Jags would have a QB who chokes every time the game is on the line. Maybe that WOULDl make the Houston Dumpster Fires better.

But at least Indy or Jacksonville would have a top notch grocery huckster...

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
the more i think about it i dont wanna trade Watt is he has good has he once was no hes older obvs but hes not hurting the defense that much he is serviceable

Texansballer74

The Marine

Lol at GM Watson. Another indication of you just not liking Watson. For what reason though? What exactly has he done to you Doc?

Texansballer74

The Marine
TB, you just need to chill. The "GM" comment in this context was meant as a joke. Chill. I'll follow up sometime in the future when appropriate with something that will be anything but a joke.
Can you not take a joke. I found it funny. It’s not serious, lightning up a bit.

But the fact remains, you don’t like Watson. And that’s cool, but why is the question

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
What did OB do to all the people around here that hated him?
He F’d this team up that’s why he’s not liked. Some of us seen the writing on the wall years ago. And for the record I don’t hate anyone. Dude wasn’t a good coach and he was a a- hole. He was the locker room destroyer. Have you not been following the team? Did you not read what was reported during the firing?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He F’d this team up that’s why he’s not liked. Some of us seen the writing on the wall years ago. And for the record I don’t hate anyone. Dude wasn’t a good coach and he was a a- hole. He was the locker room destroyer. Have you not been following the team? Did you not read what was reported during the firing?
I read lots of things and try to look at things objectively and without emotion. First looking at his record and what he has achieved as a coach your statement that he wasn’t a good coach is false. If you had said he wasn’t a good GM then I would agree with you but as far as coaching goes he did get things out of players others didn’t think they had. He made Hoyer and Osweiler look way better than they had any right to look. Was he a good fit for Watson no he was not Watson was not the right kind of QB for his system. That’s not a knock against either one of them. Reid couldn’t do much with Alex Smith even though he was a well above average QB because Smith wasn’t a good fit for Reid.

My one knock against his coaching is he kept trying to make the players fit the system rather than adjusting the system to fit the players and he tried to do everything himself. Both of these are signs of a first time manager or in this case a first time HC.

Next you said he was a “locker room destroyer” when again there is zero evidence of that. In fact pretty much the one good thing people on this board have said in the last couple of years is that the players play hard for him and they respect him. Again it was only this year that he lost the locker room as it were and part of that is the moves he made as the GM. It’s another reason the roles are kept separate so the HC doesn’t have to be the bad guy and pit himself against the players like a GM often does.

As far as being an A hole as you put it yes he was. But in case you haven’t noticed most people in the NFL are. Hell its almost a job requirement for HCs and GMs. Name me one successful HC that wouldn’t be called an asshole.

Do I agree with OB being fired, absolutely I do. That being said though I think once tempers have cooled and people look back in hindsight he won’t seem as bad as he does right now just like how people look back and see Kubiak wasn’t as bad as they thought at the time. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.