Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Finally: Romeo Crennel Hired as DC

It's just another option available to us. If it makes sense, do it. If not, don't. But if we're talking about maximizing our free cap space for the 2014 season, we make Schaub a June 1st cut. He's due $17M in 2015. Making him a June 1st cut would save us $10M against the 2015 cap.

If you haven't done it, go to OTC As it stands we are $8.7M under the cap for 2014, $18.8M under for 2015.

If we make Schaub a June 1st cut (in the drop down box) we'll be $19.2M under in 2014 & $28.7M under in 2015.

I've heard the cap is going up in 2015. The new TV deal kicks in.

Well, that's the system that got the Patriots to the Superbowl early in Bledsoe's career. It's also the system that led to Superbowl wins with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler... also the system that got the Jets to the AFC Championship game with Vinny Testeverde and an 11 win season with Matt Cassel. Oh, and let's not forget that Tom Brady wasn't exactly the player he is now when they won their first Superbowl.

But, okay... Reject that system! What do you suggest?

Stop letting facts getting in the way of all of that Texans hate. Seems to me BoB finally made a potentially great hire.

I liked Seymour, also. But on his best day, he was never as good as JJ Watt. What Watt can accomplish isn't restricted by what Seymour accomplished.

Hell, that's a huge understatement. And I loved Seymour in NE. One of the dumbest moves by BB he ever made. But Seymour couldn't hold Watt's jockstrap. Watt is just another type of beast.

RAC does more 1 gaping than people initially think. Seymore had 10 sacks 1 yr and ty warren had 8. =hose were multiple,great defensive teams. He also turned teddy bruschi,a former 4-3 de into a hell raising ilb( brooks reed get ready). He plays a lot of zone and as someone mntioned,from ted washington to wilfolk to poe,he likes the immoveable nt. Been wanting romeo for awhile,glad he's here now,hopefully.

if this turns out to be true i would be super pumped

and if you think watt is gonna wanna stick around to get sacks his whole career you are crazy, i think he wants to win more than anything

the one thing that stands out to me is that amazing defense the chiefs played a couple years back to give the packers their first loss of the season.. big upset

I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Johnson hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.

I don't know how people think this wouldn't be a good hire. To me, Derrick Thomas hasn't been the same guy since Romeo left Kansas City and he helped develop a lot of that top notch defense there. If Romeo falls through I still say bring Mangini in. Brilliant football mind even as awkward as he can be at times.

P.S. Please ignore the results from today since he's not there anymore and it ruins my argument.

Derrick Johnson?

Yeah, that's my mistake. Although Thomas would have been a great fit in his defense.

Thomas would have been a great fit on any team when you put it that way. I think he'll be a nice fit here with O'Brien, but I just hope that he still has the same kind of fire at his old age. He is the same age is Wade if I'm not mistaken.

I dont get all of the skepticism. When we hired Wade, he was a failed HC with a reputation as a great DC who built historically good defenses...and we were optimistic (for good reason). Crennel is the exact same story, except he has three SB rings. Whats wrong with that?

He's not son of bum. He's not a local. And something else. Hmmm...

I like this! We need to see what Crennel can do! He also has a long history of being a great DC! I still remember those Pats D when he ran it!:swatter:

There's only one problem with how people that remember how those Pats D were when Crennel ran it.

The Colts cried like little bitches after Ty Law and the Pats were able to assault them.. and then Video gate came out and regardless if people want to admit it or not, that now comes into play.

The league does NOT allow you to abuse or even get a feel up on offensive players the way those Pats were able to do to other team's offensive players, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I think this guy has a good enough eye to identify defensive talent that can help us, but the way that Pats team was able to defend is long gone with the way this game is called today. Those teams would be flagged up and down the field if they played today.

Last edited:
First.... let's remember it's been quite some time since Manning actually played well.

Second.... cutting Manning adds about $6M to our cap. Cutting Joseph adds about $7M. I don't suggest cutting Jjo, but I'd get over it rather quickly if they were to cut Manning.

Third... Quinten Demps only started 6 games for KC, but he got a lot of snaps & played well.

4th... I'd like to see how this FA class shakes out. Might see Byrd, Bethea, Ihedigbo, plus some lesser known talents. oh yeah & Ed Reed

I guess you don't count dead money or you expect the cuts to be June 1 cuts and create 2014 space at the expense of 2015 when we pay Watt.

I guess you don't count dead money or you expect the cuts to be June 1 cuts and create 2014 space at the expense of 2015 when we pay Watt.

We all need to really think about what signing Watt would mean & if it's worth it if it is going to limit us & our ability to add talent to this team the way many seem to believe.

We don't know what the 2015 salary cap is going to be, but as it stands, we would be $30M under the cap in 2014 & $37M under the cap in 2015 just by making Schaub & Jjo June 1st cuts.

Andre Johnson will have a $16M cap number. Duane Brown, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing & Chris Myers, all have contracts that could be renegotiated in 2015. Chris Myers may even be cut depending on what he looks like in 2014. We could gain $6M right there.

Mario Williams had a $9M cap hit in 2012 with no dead money. $12M cap hit in 2013, then escalates to $18M in 2014 & $19M for 2015 & 2016. Most of that can be made up by restructuring Andre's contract. If we plan for him to be a Texan for life, we'll be offering him another extension anyway.

"Draft only" pretty much got us where we are today. If we're going to compete with Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver... Rick Smith (or whoever our GM is going to be) will have to improve on his FA acquisitions.

There's only one problem with how people that remember how those Pats D were when Crennel ran it.

The Colts cried like little bitches after Ty Law and the Pats were able to assault them.. and then Video gate came out and regardless if people want to admit it or not, that now comes into play.

The league does NOT allow you to abuse or even get a feel up on offensive players the way those Pats were able to do to other team's offensive players, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I think this guy has a good enough eye to identify defensive talent that can help us, but the way that Pats team was able to defend is long gone with the way this game is called today. Those teams would be flagged up and down the field if they played today.

Carr- I'm not saying that we need to be exactly like the Pat's D of old, & new rules changes will not allow it. I just want a new strong, well known, & respected DC to run this Texans D & to identify the right type of players! No more Frank Bushes to run things!

Billy just like Gary -- bringing in his old buddies. Lets hope
that side of the Belichick tree learned something the last time they were
fired..

Any old patriot GM's out there? If so -- Watch out Rick Smith

Looks like this guy has jumped the gun, nothing official but more info.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/04/r...ston-texans-bill-obrien-fires-previous-staff/

Out is Wade Phillips and the old members of the Houston Texans coaching staff, and in comes Romeo Crennel to replace Phillips as the Texans defensive coordinator. A Crennel-to-the-Texans move has been in the cards ever since a rumor surfaced yesterday, and FOX Sports’s Alex Marvez reports, citing a source, that O’Brien has fired the previous staff and has indeed brought on Crennel to be the new Texans defensive coordinator.

We all need to really think about what signing Watt would mean & if it's worth it if it is going to limit us & our ability to add talent to this team the way many seem to believe.

We don't know what the 2015 salary cap is going to be, but as it stands, we would be $30M under the cap in 2014 & $37M under the cap in 2015 just by making Schaub & Jjo June 1st cuts.

Andre Johnson will have a $16M cap number. Duane Brown, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing & Chris Myers, all have contracts that could be renegotiated in 2015. Chris Myers may even be cut depending on what he looks like in 2014. We could gain $6M right there.

Mario Williams had a $9M cap hit in 2012 with no dead money. $12M cap hit in 2013, then escalates to $18M in 2014 & $19M for 2015 & 2016. Most of that can be made up by restructuring Andre's contract. If we plan for him to be a Texan for life, we'll be offering him another extension anyway.

"Draft only" pretty much got us where we are today. If we're going to compete with Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver... Rick Smith (or whoever our GM is going to be) will have to improve on his FA acquisitions.

I've been saying for the last 8 yrs the only way to build a great team is to draft well and use FA/trades to fill in the rest of the holes. This is the Pats way. It cant get to Houston soon enough.

I would've went with a D coord who coaches a attacking 4-3 (as I think our defensive roster is more suited for it, Wade coached a 3-4, but it was more of a hybrid 4-3) but that's just me. This hire means two things to me.

1. McNair's "we're not rebuilding" statement is clear out the window

and

2. This upcoming draft's resources is going to be mainly spent on acquiring defensive talent to make this defense work since we're going to need to find the right pieces to the puzzle. (see point 1. and why we're "rebuilding")

Off the bat, we're going to have to replace 2 defensive lineman, 2 LBs (and the only reason why it isn't 3 is because Mercilus is still Smith's first round pick) , and a safety. That's half the defense (not even counting the new back ups or players we cut for cap space) and that's without even addressing the offensive holes. We are in complete rebuild mode.. when McNair tells you different, he's either lying straight to your face or is completely delusional. If I had to choose I hope he's just lying, because you can still be competent while trying to b.s. the masses. However competence and delusional do not go hand in hand. I hope Bob recognizes what he's up against and doesn't truly believe that this isn't a rebuilding project. This is the definition of a rebuilding project.

Last edited:
I would've went with a D coord who coaches a attacking 4-3 (as I think our defensive roster is more suited for it, Wade coached a 3-4, but it was more of a hybrid 4-3) but that's just me. This hire means two things to me.

1. McNair's "we're not rebuilding" statement is clear out the window

and

2. This upcoming draft resources is going to be mainly spent on acquiring defensive talent to make this defense work since we're going to need to find the right pieces to the puzzle. (see point 1. and why we're "rebuilding")

Off the bat, we're going to have to replace 2 defensive lineman, 2 LBs (and the only reason why it isn't 3 is because Mercilus is still Smith's first round pick) , and a safety. That's half the defense (not even counting the new back ups or players we cut for cap space) and that's without even addressing the offensive holes. We are in complete rebuild mode.. when McNair tells you different, he's either lying straight to your face or is completely delusional. If I had to choose I hope he's just lying, because you can still be competent while trying to b.s. the masses. However competence and delusional do not go hand in hand. I hope Bob recognizes what he's up against and doesn't truly believe that this isn't a rebuilding project. This is the definition of a rebuilding project.

Now that is something I don`t understand. Why rebuild? 2 defensive linemen? Crick and Mitchell might take at least one of those spots. Smith was always in danger because of his high salary. No big difference personal wise to us staying with the same system.

2 LBs? Well we probably needed 1 inside LB no matter what and another one that can rush the passer. Depending on Sharpton and Reed, that number might be reduced to one and some depth.

Safety? Why? If Manning is cut, we would always need a replacement. If Not, him an Swearinger would be decent starters.

In effect, personal wise, we don`t really need that much more players than if we`d stay put. I´d argue NT is the only real difference, because it went from "could use an upgrade" to "definetly needs an upgrade". And overall we need:

1 NT starter
DE depth
1-2 LB starters

And that`s about it on defense. Far from a rebuild. On offense we are fine with a new QB and some line help - perhaps a new TE. Overall we can "fix" this team with 5-7 new players. And we still have so much talent on this team, that we were considered superbowl contenders before last season.

A little concerned Crennel is taking this long to decide if he wants to coach again -- wonder if his heart's not in it? :hmmm:

Nobody calling him for HC that I've heard.

Perhaps his age, plus watching that kid blow his brains out in front of him has taken the "want to" out of Crennel. Must have been traumatic. Dunno...

Yeah, I think that spot with the suicide probably hurt Crennel a lot and he most likely needs some time deal with that.

Anyone who claims that O'Brien wanting to hire Crennel is anything like Frank Bush has NO idea what they're talking about.

A million times this ^.

Here's frank Bush's resume before becoming the DC of the Texans:

5th round pick by the Oilers in 1985 and started 11 games. In 1986 he quit the NFL because he had a "narrow spinal canal."

1987-94 - Became a scout for the Oilers

95-99 - Linebackers coach for the Broncos (2 time SB champs)

2000 - Secondary coach for Broncos

2001-2003 - Special Teams coach

2004-2006 - Linebackers coach for the Cardinals

Crennel's Resume:

1970-1974 Western Kentucky (Defensive Line Coach)

1975-1977 Texas Tech (Defensive Assistant)

1978-1979 Ole Miss (Defensive Ends Coach)

1980 Georgia Tech (Defensive Line Coach)

1981-1992 New York Giants (1981-1989) (Special Teams Coach)
(1990-1992) (Defensive Line Coach)

1993-1996 New England Patriots (Defensive Line Coach)

1997-1999 New York Jets (Defensive Line Coach)

2000 Cleveland Browns (Defensive Coordinator)

2001-2004 New England Patriots (Defensive Coordinator)

2005-2008 Cleveland Browns (Head Coach)

2010-2012 Kansas City Chiefs (2010-2012) (Defensive Coordinator)
(2011) (Interim Head Coach)
(2012) (Head Coach)

I'll gladly give contestant number 2 a shot. Thank you very much.

I think it was said earlier in the thread but it might bear repeating again.

Crennel is coaching the East-West Shrine game. Only non-NFL coaches can do this.

Theory is while he may be committed to coming here, he won't be announced till after he has coached that game and got some first hand exposure to some draft prospects.

Ahh, totally missed that. Thanks.

Crennel is coaching the East-West Shrine game. Only non-NFL coaches can do this.

Theory is while he may be committed to coming here, he won't be announced till after he has coached that game and got some first hand exposure to some draft prospects.

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Someone get this man a prize!

Not a fan of this hire AT ALL. Maybe I missed something, but honestly, what has he done that was so great as DC?

Looks like this guy has jumped the gun, nothing official but more info.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/04/r...ston-texans-bill-obrien-fires-previous-staff/

Out is Wade Phillips and the old members of the Houston Texans coaching staff, and in comes Romeo Crennel to replace Phillips as the Texans defensive coordinator. A Crennel-to-the-Texans move has been in the cards ever since a rumor surfaced yesterday, and FOX Sports’s Alex Marvez reports, citing a source, that O’Brien has fired the previous staff and has indeed brought on Crennel to be the new Texans defensive coordinator.

This site loses all credability when they say Deenison may be one of the best OCs on the market, and why would bob want an OC when he calls his own plays. HAHA Kubiak called his own plays as well, and Dennison was less than impressive when he actually did call the plays

Other than being DC for 3 SB wins?

And having 5 SB rings with 6 SB appearances... and having coached under Ray Perkins and Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick... having been in the league since 1981 and universally liked by his players?

Not a successful HC -- where Trent Dilfer was the best QB he ever had (Charlie Frye, anyone?) -- but pretty good record on staff.

Thanks, I said that earlier in this thread. I thought I remembered Phillips doing the same thing.

Thanks, I said that earlier in this thread. I thought I remembered Phillips doing the same thing.

Do you think its worth it for him to wait and not start putting together his defensive staff or do you think the wheels are already in motion for that too? Evaluation could come without him being the coach.

BO'B knows who RC wants and is working on getting them as we speak. (Probably)

My thinking as well, but I guess there's value in coaching up these kids to see what they have. Most of the players in the game or 3rd-4th round or later prospects, but its important for us to hit on a few of those this year considering none of ours besides Griffin did a single thing this year. ( Technically Chris Jones did but it wasn't for us ). That was a wasted opportunity considering how bad we were.

If he can get insight into some of these players not normally accessible then I guess I'm good with it. Hopefully some of our 2013 picks step up next year too. It looks like a blown draft right now though.

Other than being DC for 3 SB wins?

Yea, how long ago was it since he coached a super caliber defense? A decade? Now add in the fact he hasn't coached a highly touted defense and one could argue with the way the nfl is now a days, his coaching is out dated and not relevant.

That might be the way that it works now, but it didn't work that way when Wade was hired. Wade got hired on January 5 and the game was on January 22.

Back