Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fans in the Stands

gwallaia

Staff member
How will the NFL season look in regards to the Corona virus and fans in the stands? The Miami Dolphins are making tentative plans on how things may look for all NFL stadiums this fall.
This is going to be a maddening process for fans and stadium personnel.

Below are few procedures being considered and a few of my own thoughts.

1."We would have times to come in for security at different gates so people would be separated out in terms of when they enter the stadium,"
2. "We would exit the stadium much like a church environment where each row exits so people aren't filing out all at the same time in a herd."
3. Six foot separation designations for entering the stadium, much like you are seeing now at grocery stores, etc.
4.Hard Rock Stadium can hold approximately 65,000 fans for a football game, but the Dolphins said they might be down to 15,000 fans for the next season as they adjust to a different setup (25% rule?)
5. Restrooms are not mentioned, but halftime in the restroom lines are a nightmare as it is. If a 6' separation has to be maintained, going to the restroom will not be an option.
6. Careful, no high-fiving your neighbors.
7. I usually go in the stadium 1 hour before kick-off. I will probably go in 2 hours before kick-off now.
8. Will tailgating be permitted?

stingray

Hall of Fame
How will the NFL season look in regards to the Corona virus and fans in the stands? The Miami Dolphins are making tentative plans on how things may look for all NFL stadiums this fall.
This is going to be a maddening process for fans and stadium personnel.

Below are few procedures being considered and a few of my own thoughts.

1."We would have times to come in for security at different gates so people would be separated out in terms of when they enter the stadium,"
2. "We would exit the stadium much like a church environment where each row exits so people aren't filing out all at the same time in a herd."
3. Six foot separation designations for entering the stadium, much like you are seeing now at grocery stores, etc.
4.Hard Rock Stadium can hold approximately 65,000 fans for a football game, but the Dolphins said they might be down to 15,000 fans for the next season as they adjust to a different setup (25% rule?)
5. Restrooms are not mentioned, but halftime in the restroom lines are a nightmare as it is. If a 6' separation has to be maintained, going to the restroom will not be an option.
6. Careful, no high-fiving your neighbors.
7. I usually go in the stadium 1 hour before kick-off. I will probably go in 2 hours before kick-off now.
8. Will tailgating be permitted?

Yeah, this will be as easy as herding cats.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club

I don‘t think NFL, NCAA, or even high school football is in the cards this season. Like anything else, the devil will be in the details. Empty stadiums, testing everyone before each game....??? Lawyers will be dangling lawsuit threats everywhere. I just don‘t see it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Sports will start since Billionaires don't like losing money. Believe it or not, Millionaires don't like losing money either. Folks making a mid to upper six figure income really can't afford to lose money. Fans on the other hand.....we just want something to start.

Owners want fans in the stadium, get creative. Hand out free team colored and logo'd mask(s) and gloves to "everyone" inside the stadium. Next, set-up Hand Sanitizer Dispensers at the entrance of each and every aisle. Put sealable plastic bags under each seat for disposal of trash.....hail, everyone working to clean-up the stadium after an event would probably like that on a pemremnant basis.

Most important, anyone entering a stadium would sign a "Enter At Your Own Risk" waiver. These are adults entering and signing the waiver. No armed guards standing around putting a gun to your head as they push you through the turnstiles.

Governor's may want to realize that they can be voted out as easily as they were voted into office.....it's not a lifetime appointment and those Billionaires and Millionaires they count on tremendously for their financial support could take a look at someone new.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think the likely outcome is teams play in empty stadiums.

MLB owners have already sent the players association a proposal to do just that.

I cant see "enter at your own risk" being an option.

In talking to @CloakNNNdagger , my conclusion is there isn't an avenue that keeps the players safe much less the fans.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think the likely outcome is teams play in empty stadiums.

MLB owners have already sent the players association a proposal to do just that.

I cant see "enter at your own risk" being an option.

In talking to @CloakNNNdagger , my conclusion is there isn't an avenue that keeps the players safe much less the fans.
I love football and being in as many stadiums as possible. My calendar for September through January is reserved for football first. I have been thinking about the impact of the game day experience, and it isn’t appealing. Some of the questions I’ve pondered are:

If limited number of fans can attend, how will it be determined who will be among the 25 or so percent that can attend?
How early would fans need to arrive at the stadium to go through checkpoints?
Once inside, is six feet every 3/4 seats and every two rows?
Are masks required?
Will food and beverages be served in stands only?
How many allowed in restroom?
How do they determine if members of same household can be seated closer together?
What about the players who are in close contact from week to week with opposing team from different parts of the country?
If fans can’t attend, should teams play at their practice facilities?

If we are still restricted by the beginning of the season, I fail to see this as a fun atmosphere, nor an atmosphere the teams can feed off of. If any of the above are effected, I can’t see myself driving to NRG, and certainly not AT&T.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Not sure why the hell they can't just have people sign waivers before they enter absolving themselves of responsibility.

Let the sheep stay home and watch from home. I prefer to watch from home any way personally as the game day experience just becomes to much of a hassle any way from parking to traffic to bad beer for high prices and everything else.

But fans should be able to go "if they want to go." Government lauding over the NFL and using their powers to stop them from making money when there are tons of people that want to be there is terrible. Let the sheep hide in their homes, but GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I love football and being in as many stadiums as possible. My calendar for September through January is reserved for football first. I have been thinking about the impact of the game day experience, and it isn’t appealing. Some of the questions I’ve pondered are:

If limited number of fans can attend, how will it be determined who will be among the 25 or so percent that can attend?
Are masks required?
How do they determine if members of same household can be seated closer together?
What about the players who are in close contact from week to week with opposing team from different parts of the country?

If we are still restricted by the beginning of the season, I fail to see this as a fun atmosphere, nor an atmosphere the teams can feed off of. If any of the above are effected, I can’t see myself driving to NRG, and certainly not AT&T.
One thing that is not being accounted for regarding fan refunds.............the NFL has announced this official policy:

The NFL has created a ticket refund policy for games that are canceled or held without fans during the 2020 season.

..............no mention of refunds for those that don't fit in the anticipated 25% allowed stadium capacity when it is opened to fans............or better yet, what if seats are available, but fans don't feel trusting of the NFL to declare that attending at that point is safe?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Are masks required?

I'd imagine that if 25% is the actual number, then each season ticket holder will get to go to 2 games (out of 8 regular season games). Great question about family members.

From what I've read in the unofficial proposals, masks and sanitizer would be mandatory, as would the obligatory temp checks at the gate. Tailgating would probably not be allowed, but that's probably understood when the line to get in the stadiums might be 2-3 hours long, all things considered.

You bring up a lot of interesting and pragmatic points to consider. I'm in the logistics industry, so my mind automatically starts thinking of how they could implement this stuff.

tbh, I'm going to be a bit surprised if we have an NFL season at all when the league is taking a stance that all 32 facilities must be available. Some of them are in hard lock-down states that might not capitulate to entertainment business concerns.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'd imagine that if 25% is the actual number, then each season ticket holder will get to go to 2 games (out of 8 regular season games). Great question about family members.

From what I've read in the unofficial proposals, masks and sanitizer would be mandatory, as would the obligatory temp checks at the gate. Tailgating would probably not be allowed, but that's probably understood when the line to get in the stadiums might be 2-3 hours long, all things considered.

You bring up a lot of interesting and pragmatic points to consider. I'm in the logistics industry, so my mind automatically starts thinking of how they could implement this stuff.

tbh, I'm going to be a bit surprised if we have an NFL season at all when the league is taking a stance that all 32 facilities must be available. Some of them are in hard lock-down states that might not capitulate to entertainment business concerns.
Is there no hope that a vaccine is developed between now and September?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From what I can gather from various sources, an effective vaccine (if possible) would take a minimum of 12-18 months to develop, test, and mass produce.

Testing, treatment, and reducing the spread seem to be our only viable options at the moment.

Cali and New York governors are already implying that the NFL facilities in their states will not be open in September.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I posted this elsewhere - but @CloakNNNdagger informed me that of all the recent viruses only one has a working vaccine.

There is no guarantee that we will ever see a working vaccine.

Expecting one by September is …. overly optimistic.

I think Doc could explain it better than I have here ….

gwallaia

Staff member

I was thinking the same thing about the number of games fans would be allowed to attend -- 2 or 3 and how is that determined? I would guess the Packers game this season would have the most demand. I'm a charter season ticket holder since 18 minutes after the NFL announced Houston would be getting a team. Does that give me priority? Of course I am lowly non-PSL ticket holder.

2-3 hours to get into stadium. I can't deal with that.
The only good thing about 25% in stadiums, restroom lines will be a lot shorter!

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
One thing that is not being accounted for regarding fan refunds.............the NFL has announced this official policy:

The NFL has created a ticket refund policy for games that are canceled or held without fans during the 2020 season.

..............no mention of refunds for those that don't fit in the anticipated 25% allowed stadium capacity when it is opened to fans............or better yet, what if seats are available, but fans don't feel trusting of the NFL to declare that attending at that point is safe?
Interesting. I am in the four payment plan with the Texans and with the month they skipped I’m half finished. I received an email before the last one due that I could delay an additional month and split the remaining three in half for June and July. I guess if we don’t have a season we would know by then, but I just didn’t want to drag the payments near season opening. But, I’m taking a month wait and see on the Cowboys though. Either way, I don’t want any payments applied to future years.

I wonder if a 25 to 30 percent attendance is applied, will they use some type of lottery. That couldn’t be fair to someone wanting to see the Packers and get tickets for the Bengals. Also, if you are one to stay home, how would resale value be for games under such conditions, sorry Bengals, but for that game as a major example, and most others could still be a challenge.

It’s scary the thought of losing money on games that you can’t or won’t attend due to any new attendance rules. The cost of PSLs forces decisions to remain an owner, but who could ever have thought that this could be a factor.

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Empty stadiums are perfectly do-able..... The Jaguars have shown it can be done.

I think the only way they can pull it off is completely vacant stadiums.

No matter who you let in and who you turn away, someone will undoubtedly scream discrimination and file a lawsuit.

The best thing the NFLcan do (which I have a hard time seeing) is a full refund. Even though they have tons of lawyers the time spent fighting the fans and the PR scar it woukd leave IMO is more costly than the refunds.... especially given a lot of people's opinions on the league before covid.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Empty stadiums are perfectly do-able..... The Jaguars have shown it can be done.

I think the only way they can pull it off is completely vacant stadiums.

No matter who you let in and who you turn away, someone will undoubtedly scream discrimination and file a lawsuit.

The best thing the NFLcan do (which I have a hard time seeing) is a full refund. Even though they have tons of lawyers the time spent fighting the fans and the PR scar it woukd leave IMO is more costly than the refunds.... especially given a lot of people's opinions on the league before covid.
.....best thing NFL could do, move the Jaguars to San Antonio and let a real fan base support them.

badboy

Hall of Fame
People going nuts now. Push regular season to November 1st, 14 games no off weeks, play some Saturday games if necessary. 5 months and people will go to games.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Troy Vincent: NFL still planning for full stadiums
May 23, 2020, 9:25 PM EDT

Summer unofficially has begun. Days after summer unofficially ends, the NFL season officially begins. The league remains determined to play all 256 regular-season games. And, for now, to do so in full stadiums.

“We are planning to have full stadiums until the medical community tells us otherwise,” NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told Brian Mitchell Friday on The Team 980, via NBC Sports Washington. “Now, remember when we’re talking — we’re talking about September, August, September. So there’s a lot that can happen here. So we’re planning for full stadiums.”

This public statement meshes with what we’ve been hearing privately for weeks, that the league believes circumstances will change sufficiently by September to allow both for games to proceed and for fans to attend them. From advances in diagnostic testing to advances in antigen testing to a better understanding of what it means to test positive for coronavirus antibodies, it’s entirely possible that anyone who chooses to show up for games will be permitted to do so.

This doesn’t mean the plans are set in stone.

“We also know that we have to plan for half stadiums,” Vincent said. “Three-quarters. So we’re planning for all of these different scenarios. But first and foremost, we’re making every effort, working with the medical community, if we can have those stadiums with all people until they tell us otherwise when that time comes, that’s our plan. That’s our plan of action.”

With $5.5 billion hinging on stadiums being occupied, it makes sense. And with the national mood swinging away from extreme measures to control the spread of the virus and toward allowing individuals to assume the risk of catching (and disseminating) the virus while also stoking the economy, it’s a scenario that in just a few weeks has gone from being inconceivable to plausible.

So, yes, the plan is to play the games and to allow people to fill stadiums to watch them. Although the weeks will fly by quickly from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the medical advances quietly but surely happening out of view will quite possibly allow football season to proceed as normal, even at a time when things don’t still don’t feel anything close to normal.

Vincent makes it sound to simple and cut and dry. But it will be interesting to see how the NFL handles season ticket holders...............or even moreso, PSL holders if there is no season or even a shortened season. And, even if the NFL plans to fully open up and play a full season, what happens to season ticket and PSL ticker holders if they don't trust the decision to open up and don't feel comfortable/safe in attending, and want a refund? And last but not least, if social distancing is still in place, how does the NFL determine who can get in and who can't, and how they compensate those that can't get in to all games if that is their desire?:toropalm:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Let them play, let fans/players attend at their own risk.

Enough is enough.

Stopped at a Buc-ee's on 45 near Centerville Saturday. Place was packed.
Some customers wore masks, many didn't. The only distancing was at the check out line.
It seems that the populace have decided for themselves.... that they want to do what they want to do.

Local Wal-Mart tries to create one way lines between rows, doesn't work. Only distancing, again, is at the checkout.

I hugged no one, I shook nobody's hand, and it has never been a practice of mine to kiss strangers.
Out of habit I used hand sanitizer when I got back in my car. Don't know why.

Anyone who thinks distancing could be enforced in a sports stadium is delusional.

For most I feel that distancing is a thing of the past. No putting the genie back in the bottle.

Let the games begin.

:coffee:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Let them play, let fans/players attend at their own risk.

Enough is enough.

Stopped at a Buc-ee's on 45 near Centerville Saturday. Place was packed.
Some customers wore masks, many didn't. The only distancing was at the check out line.
It seems that the populace have decided for themselves.... that they want to do what they want to do.

Local Wal-Mart tries to create one way lines between rows, doesn't work. Only distancing, again, is at the checkout.

I hugged no one, I shook nobody's hand, and it has never been a practice of mine to kiss strangers.
Out of habit I used hand sanitizer when I got back in my car. Don't know why.

Anyone who thinks distancing could be enforced in a sports stadium is delusional.

For most I feel that distancing is a thing of the past. No putting the genie back in the bottle.

Let the games begin.

I've been doing the stay-at-home stuff for a while anyway, isolation doesn't bother me, in fact I find it comforting. If I could get electricity and internet I'd live in a cave away from civilization. I find this is good adaptive behavior for Pandemic World. I avoided crowds before all this started anyway. I do miss meeting my old work friends for lunch, and am looking forward to starting that up again, but not for a while. Probably a long while. If the world wants to open itself back up, go for it. I'll be at home watching the results on TV. It's still my feeling the worst is yet to come, and it would be wonderful if I'm wrong on that.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I've been doing the stay-at-home stuff for a while anyway, isolation doesn't bother me, in fact I find it comforting. If I could get electricity and internet I'd live in a cave away from civilization. I find this is good adaptive behavior for Pandemic World. I avoided crowds before all this started anyway. I do miss meeting my old work friends for lunch, and am looking forward to starting that up again, but not for a while. Probably a long while. If the world wants to open itself back up, go for it. I'll be at home watching the results on TV. It's still my feeling the worst is yet to come, and it would be wonderful if I'm wrong on that.
I have too for the most part. I agree with your sentiment.

We are in agreement. Let the world/USA open up if it chooses. Isolation should be a choice, not a law.

Only disagree with the worst is yet to come. It's the optimist in me. We know what to do and what to expect now.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When I go to grocery store check out, I always spit as far as I can and then tell the other guy to stand behind that.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
When I go to grocery store check out, I always spit as far as I can and then tell the other guy to stand behind that.

People seem to keep proper distance in the checkouts as far as I can tell.

But not so much as they browse through the rest of the store.

I don't think the virus is that spreadable. Mostly in confined spaces with closed ventilation and personal contact. Just my belief.

So many differing expert opinions out there..... I feel I can express mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
People seem to keep proper distance in the checkouts as far as i can tell.

But not so much as they browse through the rest of the store.

I don't think the virus is that spreadable. Mostly in confined spaces with closed ventilation and personal contact. Just my belief.

So many differing expert opinions out there..... I feel I can express mine.

I'm wondering why the can't just issue disposable masks at sporting events like hospitals and clinics do

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm wondering why the can't just issue disposable masks at sporting events like hospitals and clinics do
Are they going to have mouth openings so you can scarf down those helmet nachos, hot dogs, pretzels, ice cream, sodas and beer? And if you're taking the mask off to consume those things then it's pretty pointless to begin with.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Are they going to have mouth openings so you can scarf down those helmet nachos, hot dogs, pretzels, ice cream, sodas and beer? And if you're taking the mask off to consume those things then it's pretty pointless to begin with.
Eat before

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
My cardiologist clinic (Hermann Memorial) believes in them and that's good enough for me. Not the N95 (?) masks CnD was talking about
Nothing wrong with people doing what they consider is necessary to feel safe.
It's all about the individuals comfort zone.

I just like having a choice.

Reactions: JB

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Eat before
Food and beverage sales would be a huge loss in profits. Unless things are back to at least semi-normal this is going to be interesting as far as eating, drinking and yelling and how masks would fit in.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Couple of large pool parties, one here in Houston, making the news.
Absolutely no distancing.

Same for a stadium full of fans.

Guess we will find out soon enough if all the isolation was necessary....or not.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Think I read somewhere on this site that our own resident Dr questions the effectiveness of masks after a short time period?

Could be wrong about that as I have read so much conflicting info about covid19. :confused:

https://www.livescience.com/are-face-masks-effective-reducing-coronavirus-spread.html

I don't intend to go into this again in detail (if interested, you can go to the COVID thread). Most physicians have no experience in evaluating the efficacy of masks in study or in practice. Most all well-structured studies find surgical masks and cloth masks very lacking and minimally effective as filters for viruses, if at all (for so many important variable reasons such as tight non leaking fit, moisture, coughing, sneezing, laughing, singing, to mention only a few). Before COVID-19, the non effectiveness of these masks were essentially indisputable, even in the carefully controlled environments of an operating. That is the reason that the CDC early on strongly stated that masks did not need to be worn. Surgical masks did not miraculously become effective.

Wearing a mask (other than the N95) is just as likely not to hurt you as it is not to help you .

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I don't intend to go into this again in detail (if interested, you can go to the COVID thread). Most physicians have no experience in evaluating the efficacy of masks in study or in practice. Most all well-structured studies find surgical masks and cloth masks very lacking and minimally effective as filters for viruses, if at all (for so many important variable reasons such as tight non leaking fit, moisture, coughing, sneezing, laughing, singing, to mention only a few). Before COVID-19, the non effectiveness of these masks were essentially indisputable, even in the carefully controlled environments of an operating. That is the reason that the CDC early on strongly stated that masks did not need to be worn. Surgical masks did not miraculously become effective.

Wearing a mask (other than the N95) is just as likely not to hurt you as it is not to help you .
Thanks Doc. Didn't intend to drag you into my reply.

Just repeating that same info posted here ^^ that I had gained from one of your previous postings about masks.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
And so it begins...............:popcorn:

***********************************************************************************

JC Tretter: NFLPA has not agreed to any reopening plan
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 26, 2020, 2:02 PM EDT

NFL Players Association President JC Tretter is pumping the brakes on talk that NFL minicamps will open in June.
Tretter, a center for the Browns, wrote on Twitter that the union hasn’t agreed to any plan to send players back to team facilities.

“Players: our union has not agreed to any reopening plan,” Tretter wrote. “Any reports about coming back to work are hypothetical. You will hear from the NFLPA when there are new developments.”

Tretter added that the report suggesting June 27 as a date on which minicamps could take place is incorrect, as the players have already negotiated for June 26 as the final day that players can be at work before the start of training camps in July.

The extent to which the players will resist efforts to make them report to team facilities remains to be seen, but Tretter wants the owners to know the NFLPA expects to be consulted on the league’s plans for reopening.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
People going nuts now. Push regular season to November 1st, 14 games no off weeks, play some Saturday games if necessary. 5 months and people will go to games.
How about no. People's fears shouldn't mean anything.

They don't have to go to the games. Its their choice. The football season has no reason to delay or change at this point.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The NFL will need to supply fans with this ingenious mask if/when they are allowed access..............:toropalm:

Looks like food goes everywhere; and gets stuck on and in the mask; and the mask doesn't have complete closure. Excellent design/concept. I can just see @steelbtexan eating with a bib and sipping his beers through a straw! :backsout: