Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Evidence of BOb's horrendous game management

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Obviously O'Brien does not agree with you.

To paraphrase O'Brien after the 9/15 game against the Jaguars from his radio show "There's a lot that goes into game management. More than anybody would ever understand unless you are in football."
Ie we're all stupid and he knows best.
I think he is saying he truly does not see what everyone else is seeing.

"Not my job!"

Remember that?

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Every head coach, at any level, needs to have a grasp of the clock when getting the ball back late in a game with a lead. We got the ball back with 1:25 left, and TB had one timeout. He had to know that we win with three kneel downs. Not kneeling was not his biggest blunder, however. Once the ball was reset after the holding penalty was declined, the officials should have rolled the clock. It is inexcusable that Bob did not catch that mistake and have them correct it. I genuinely don't understand what he is thinking about and why he doesn't have someone competent in his ear if he can't manage these situations.
You would think after the numerous issues with game management throughout BOB's coaching tenure, he would have someone designated for helping with those issues. BUT NOOOOOOO!
The announcers mentioned during a TB challenge that Ariens has a former NFL official on his staff to let him know when to challenge a call. I will never understand whey we don't have someone similar to help BOB with all game management situations.
I understand there is a lot going on during the game and it is difficult for 1 person to manage it all, but it is on the coach to fix it.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Question. Who won? You half hearted Texans fans either need to be all in or get the hell off the bus.
[/QUO
I thought the clock should run as well, but rule states last two minutes of half and last five of game it does NOT wind after a penalty. If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the snap if: (1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half; (2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half;

Now why he was not kneeling is the bigger question
What rule is that? (I assume it is an NFL rule) Can you give me the # and letter of that rule?... because if that is the rule, then it gets violated ALL the time

austins23

Hall of Fame
Dude. Take off the rainbow glasses and sit yourself. Today we lucked into a win against a bad team. This performance in the playoffs gets us clobbered 50-7.
50-10, Ka’imi will knock through a meaningless 52 yarder at the end of game.

Skyking

Practice Squad
Thanks! I coach high school football and there is nothing written in the rules like that. Furthermore, I see this NFL rule violated all the time! Wow.
O’Brien is too busy calling plays to know what else is going on. And doing a bad job of that. My wife, who knows nothing about football, knows he will call the first play up the middle for a one yard gain and then try to catch up in the next two plays for a first down and then kick. He calls plays to lose the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame

Something is missing about the interpretation of this rule, I think. Based on what I am reading and your argument- if the defense is losing and the offense has a 3rd and 10 with 1:00 minute left in the game and they come to the line of scrimmage with 20 seconds left in the play clock, the defense could contact an offensive lineman, immediately stop the clock, turning it into 3rd and 5... thus saving 20 seconds because the clock won't start until the next snap? that can't be right.

Consider the TB situation yesterday, if the Texans kneeled on 1st down with 1:25 left, TB could call timeout with 1:20. Then, on 2nd and 12, the Texans could kneel again, making it 3-13 and rolling the clock. As they approach the line with 15 seconds left on play clock, TB could jump offsides, stopping the clock with :55 seconds left, stopping the clock, making it 3rd and 8, etc... that can't be right!

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Something is missing about the interpretation of this rule, I think. Based on what I am reading and your argument- if the defense is losing and the offense has a 3rd and 10 with 1:00 minute left in the game and they come to the line of scrimmage with 20 seconds left in the play clock, the defense could contact an offensive lineman, immediately stop the clock, turning it into 3rd and 5... thus saving 20 seconds because the clock won't start until the next snap? that can't be right.

Consider the TB situation yesterday, if the Texans kneeled on 1st down with 1:25 left, TB could call timeout with 1:20. Then, on 2nd and 12, the Texans could kneel again, making it 3-13 and rolling the clock. As they approach the line with 15 seconds left on play clock, TB could jump offsides, stopping the clock with :55 seconds left, stopping the clock, making it 3rd and 8, etc... that can't be right!
if you refuse the penalty I think it winds. Again, I was bitching like others at BOB then googled the rule book so I could be wrong or interpreting it wrong, but I think if you decline they wind it to prevent this stuff

Every head coach, at any level, needs to have a grasp of the clock when getting the ball back late in a game with a lead. We got the ball back with 1:25 left, and TB had one timeout. He had to know that we win with three kneel downs. Not kneeling was not his biggest blunder, however. Once the ball was reset after the holding penalty was declined, the officials should have rolled the clock. It is inexcusable that Bob did not catch that mistake and have them correct it. I genuinely don't understand what he is thinking about and why he doesn't have someone competent in his ear if he can't manage these situations.
No. The clock should not have rolled on a declined penalty against the offense. That's why Tampa declined it. They get the down and time advantage.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Thanks! I coach high school football and there is nothing written in the rules like that. Furthermore, I see this NFL rule violated all the time! Wow.
I have learned more about the game of football from high school coaches. Still am. Belichek believe it or not is said to incorporate some high school concepts in what he does.

Thanks for being a positive role model to the young men that will lead us in the future.

You would probably like this if you aren’t already aware of Coach A. from Midlothian High.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The announcers mentioned during a TB challenge that Ariens has a former NFL official on his staff to let him know when to challenge a call.
Was this the guy who told Arians to challenge the PI call that wasn't overturned or the fumble where forward progress was called?

I think BO'b on his own is good as that guy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I think those are the rules for an offensive penalty.

For a defensive penalty, why would you decline the penalty? & I think there's a 10 second runoff inside two minutes.

Reactions: ROO

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Bill O’Brien’s worst-coached game of the season (videos at the link)

Let’s break this down into four things.

–As I pointed out in the preview, O’Brien kept trying to run the ball on Tampa despite the fact that Tampa came into the game with the NFL’s best run defense by DVOA. O’Brien’s two backs combined for 31 yards on 19 carries.

Some of that came as the Texans were trying to run the clock out, but that’s a disastrous result and the only empirically good play they got from the run game was fourth-and-1 when, FOR THE FIRST TIME ALL DAY, they ran with Watson:

Why can the running game not make the entire box out of the one thing that works? I don’t know, but maybe if the Texans run inside zone 300 more times everything will be properly established.
If only, after five years, I could believe that saying that would change anything.

— Bill O’Brien’s Texans got the ball at the two-minute warning of the second quarter, up seven. They immediately ran the ball, taking 27 seconds off the clock, then Watson was sacked in scramble on first-and-10, with the ball going out of bounds. In three plays, the Texans had lost a minute. Every time they set up, it took them forever to go anywhere.
Then, Watson threw this pick:
Tampa scored seven at the end of the half.

We talk a ton about Houston’s poor starts to games, but their hurry-up offense when marshaled by O’Brien is just dreadful. It’s way too slow, it has no idea what to do for 20 seconds. I bet if Watson handled the whole thing on his own, they’d be a lot better.

— With third-and-6 at the Houston 44, O’Brien watched DeAndre Carter catch this ball to create fourth-and-1 at the Houston 49:
There were two acceptable ideas at this point: challenge the ball, or go for it. As O’Brien laid out in his press conference, injuries made him choose to not go for it:

I … actually respect that reasoning more than I thought I would, especially after he said he might go for it looking back at it. He also explained why he didn’t challenge, saying he thought New York had already decided it. I understand, but that doesn’t mean I think it’s a correct move. You’ve got to make New York make that call with how little your timeouts are worth at that point. You’ve also simply got to go for it there, the mathematical benefits are obvious:

— Finally, there was something that went totally unasked at the post-game presser: Why on Earth did this team run actual plays after Winston’s final interception. Tampa Bay had one timeout left, and the Texans got the ball left with 1:27 to play. That’s three kneels and the game is over.

The Texans ran a play, were flagged for holding in perhaps the least situationally-aware block I’ve ever seen by Zach Fulton, and actually gave the Bucs a chance to come back with 21 seconds left.

It didn’t matter for this game, but that’s a phenomenally bad error by O’Brien. He has to know that you can kneel out there. What would we be saying if Tampa scrimped together their equivalent of a Hail Mary lateral-fest or the Glover Quin Fail Mary? Get it together.

(I guess the fourth down I linked earlier was a nice decision, but holy hell, this was a stinker of a game from O’Brien. Sean Pendergast called it a D+

— I think that’s being very kind. This was some Jason Garrett stuff.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
They will never be any good with this coach. Watson only plays half a game. Hands off to running back on first down, anyone can do that. Two plays to make a first down and kicks on fourth down. So sad.

100% my point. OB isn’t capable of maximizing the play of any QB through scheme and play calling. If the offense isn’t working it’s because it’s not being executed properly, not that it isn’t being called properly.
OB really showed the bucs by calling something like 17 runs right into the teeth of the leagues best run defense.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Question. Who won? You half hearted Texans fans either need to be all in or get the hell off the bus.
We don't have to fuckin' be anything. And I reject the premise that people who are sane and coherent enough to actually know what they've seen over the last six years and are willing to call it out whenever necessary are "half-hearted" Texans fans. Better than being half-brained either way.

I prefer living in reality and will continue to criticize what needs to be criticized in order to foster a legitimate team and franchise.

If you or anyone else has a problem with that then perhaps the mute option is right for you.

Skyking

Practice Squad
100% my point. OB isn’t capable of maximizing the play of any QB through scheme and play calling. If the offense isn’t working it’s because it’s not being executed properly, not that it isn’t being called properly.
OB really showed the bucs by calling something like 17 runs right into the teeth of the leagues best run defense.
One yard at a time.

Reactions: ROO

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Cliches are so clichesish.
One play at a time...... Just they know what it will be if 1st down, so is it still a cliche?

I am bewildered how in the same season and same personnel we can look like we did in London,m then like we did against Carolina and Tampa on offense. Then I saw that crap show on Monday night. Those offenses looked just as bad, so sticking with cliches

Any given Sunday