Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Edgerrin James A TEXAN NEXT YEAR.....AJ read please

PlanoColt said:
how do you know they can't afford both? they'll be fine as far as the salary cap goes (cap numbers are low for new salaries, and manning's cap hit is still low next year). their only issue is bonus money, and if that's the case they'll franchise one (whichever would be cheaper for the year), and sign the other to a long term contract.. then the year after that, they can sign the other to a long term contract.

The problem is that the Colts need to get better on defense. That has been your Achille's heal. If you wrap all of your money into Manning, Harrison, and James, there won't be much (if anything) left for the defense. Manning is clearly the best QB in the NFL right now. The offense will be there. The defense HAS to get better if you want to get past the Patriots on a consistent basis.

I think the Colts will keep James. Shift Wayne to #1, draft a #2, and stick Stokely in the slot.

2nd round pick: Chris Henry from West Virginia, or Terrence Murphy out of aTm.

TheOgre said:
The problem is that the Colts need to get better on defense. That has been your Achille's heal. If you wrap all of your money into Manning, Harrison, and James, there won't be much (if anything) left for the defense. Manning is clearly the best QB in the NFL right now. The offense will be there. The defense HAS to get better if you want to get past the Patriots on a consistent basis.

the colts defense IS getting better. over the 2nd half of the season, they are 9th in total defense as opposed to 31st over the 1st half. they lead the league in turnover ratio at +17, and have 2 guys close to the top in sacks. they have alot of the personnel they need on defense. some guys have been injured, and they need one more draft to address the linebacker (especially mlb) and other corner position. they are in great shape at all other defensive positions. their other biggest problem is that they were young and inexperienced. with the increased experience, it's now making a difference. so with that said, they can afford to keep the big 3 and have a good defense. it's just taken some time to get all of dungy's pieces in place there.

kuno said:
The Colts are not dumb enough to give a top 10 RB, top 3 Money. He may ask for it, but he aint getting it unless he wants to play for the Bears.

uh, edge is a top 3 rb. as a matter of fact, he's #2 in the nfl in rushing right now. only 4 yards behind alexander. and he's a better receiver out of the backfield than alexander (334 receiving yards to 103 for alexander).. so I would say he's the best all around back in the nfl right now. it would be between him and LT, but I think edge is a better rusher than LT. he's also one of the best blocking backs in the nfl. so yeah, they will give him top 3 money, because he IS a top 3 running back.

TheOgre said:
That is nuts.

Harrison > James

Is that so?

Rushing Yards .
1186 yards. Not to mention his 334 recieving yards.
#2 in NFL - Edge James

Recieving Yards.
764 Yards
#18 in NFL - Marvin Harrison

aj. said:
Since we're thinking about the Jets this week, I think the Texans will make another run at Lamont Jordan in March. They've tried twice before.

I totally agree with you on this one AJ :coolb: Lamont Jordan would be a great pick-up, Texans fans watch him closely (although it may hurt this week) he may show out just a little extra in front of one of his suitors :read:

DC_ROCK said:
I think the Colts will keep James. Shift Wayne to #1, draft a #2, and stick Stokely in the slot.

2nd round pick: Chris Henry from West Virginia, or Terrence Murphy out of aTm.
chris henry? no thanks, i dont think we need any headcases on this team. but there is talk that the salary cap is going to increase next year, giving the colts more room to make moves. im completely confident the triplets will return next year

James in my opinion would be a good addition. But only if the price is right. DD is still young and getting better so I really dont see EJ coming to us. I more or less see him running next year for either the Titans or the dolphins. Either way I will always support the texans. I beleive we should keep our rookies together because in a matter of time they will be a essential team.

Youngstown Colt said:
i dont think we need any headcases on this team.

Yeah, I'd hate to see Colts players do headcase things like wear Ron Artest jerseys around and talk about what a misunderstood guy he is.... :rofl:

TexanExile said:
Yeah, I'd hate to see Colts players do headcase things like wear Ron Artest jerseys around and talk about what a misunderstood guy he is.... :rofl:
or wear a friends jersey and say they think the punishment was too harsh. you know, like what actually happened. keep digging, you may find some real dirt sometime

but youre also not his friend.

for the record, i dont care either, kick him out of the game. but theres nothing wrong with supporting someone

PlanoColt said:
the colts defense IS getting better. over the 2nd half of the season, they are 9th in total defense as opposed to 31st over the 1st half. they lead the league in turnover ratio at +17, and have 2 guys close to the top in sacks. they have alot of the personnel they need on defense. some guys have been injured, and they need one more draft to address the linebacker (especially mlb) and other corner position. they are in great shape at all other defensive positions. their other biggest problem is that they were young and inexperienced. with the increased experience, it's now making a difference. so with that said, they can afford to keep the big 3 and have a good defense. it's just taken some time to get all of dungy's pieces in place there.

I heard on 610 radio just last night that Indianapolis has the most lopsided offense/defense salary disparity, 65% to 35% respectively. I'd be surprised if they signed both players and kept it that way.

DC_ROCK said:
Is that so?

Rushing Yards .
1186 yards. Not to mention his 334 recieving yards.
#2 in NFL - Edge James

Recieving Yards.
764 Yards
#18 in NFL - Marvin Harrison

The reason that Marvin Harrison's numbers are down is the rise of Stokley and Reggie Wayne. Harrison was double-teamed a lot early in the season.

Inspite of that, Harrison still has more TD's than James. Out of receivers, Harrison has the most TD's in the AFC (12) and is only second to T.O. in the entire NFL. If you let Harrison go and promote Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, you run a high risk of encountering the same issues the Falcons have had with Peerless Price. He isn't the same without Moulds, is he?

The Colts administration already said they are going to resign Edge and Marvin. Look for the Colts to release Marcus Pollard and Mike Vanderjagt. The Colts aren't going to break the tripletts up anytime soon. Also look for Manning to reconfigure his contract to keep them there.

That is fine with me. I don't think the defense will be consistently good unless you spend some money on it. Otherwise you are going to start losing the only decent players you have on that side of the ball.

As a Texan's fan, I am glad to see that.

TheOgre said:
I heard on 610 radio just last night that Indianapolis has the most lopsided offense/defense salary disparity, 65% to 35% respectively. I'd be surprised if they signed both players and kept it that way.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. they know they are a primarily offensive team. that's how they built the team to be, and that's where they will keep most of their money invested. even though the defense is getting better, it's not a great defense, so you don't want to start taking away from your offensive talent and then have just a decent defense and just a decent offense... that makes for a mediocre team. they know they are an offensive team, and they will sign both marvin and edge to keep it that way, and they will continue to build the defense through the draft.

aj. said:
The short answer is no, no and no.

I'll be very surprised if Edge is not in South Beach next year.

It makes no sense to throw multi millions at a RB with that kind of mileage.
Local stories say you are both wrong. Edge has recently said he wants to stay here with Manning and Marvin. South Beach is a mess and will be for a long while, Texans are in better shape. The deal with Marvin is just about done and Edge is next. Peyton is making a ton, but it is actually less than last year against the cap and the cap goes up next year. Besides, without all the support, edge goes to a one dimensional team and he doesn't put up near the stats. One of the best things he does is block for manning in Blitz situations, w/o a Manning he is reduced to a runner, and Dominic Rhodes and others have proven, if you just want a runner, they can do that. If edge wants the HOF and a true legend, he'll be in Indy for next 7 years. besides with the Harrison deal all but done, they'll hang the "Franchise" tag on him next year and either get lots of #1 picks for him thereafter or he'll re-up.

coltsrule said:
Besides, without all the support, edge goes to a one dimensional team and he doesn't put up near the stats.

Now here is a true statement and yet another reason the Texans shouldn't even think about making a run at James--he benefits tremendously from being a secondary threat on a pass happy team.

El Tejano said:
Not true. Early on in Manning's career, Edge was the real reason Indy became a power in the NFL.

You mean early like in 1998 as a rookie when Manning had more yards passing than Carr will this year or any of the years since then when Manning had over 4000 yds passing every year? There is clearly a reciprocal relationship between a running game helping a QB and a passing game helping a RB, but there really doesn't seem to be an argument IMO that Manning is better as a QB than James as a RB, that Indy's offense is built around Manning, not James and that James has benefited more from Manning than vice versa.

El Tejano said:
Not true. Early on in Manning's career, Edge was the real reason Indy became a power in the NFL.

well, im not sure about that. manning had marshall faulk in his rookie year when he struggled, and they won 3 games (i believe faulk was the best RB in the NFL at that time) but in mannings second year when they got EJ, i think it was just as much manning as it was edge

This just in......

The Colts have agreed with Marvin Harrison on a 7 year contract extension. This does a couple of things. First, with conversions of roster bonus to signing bonus monies, his cap hit could actually be LESS next year than this year, giving more room under a scheduled to be larger cap. This makes room to sign the Edge. Barring that, it would allow the franchise tag to be put on Edge. He will also be a Colt next year!

In other breaking news, the Colts signed Gramaticca today, releasing Jason Baker who had been handling kickoff duties.

Thought you'd like to hear the breaking news!

coltsrock said:
This just in......

The Colts have agreed with Marvin Harrison on a 7 year contract extension. This does a couple of things. First, with conversions of roster bonus to signing bonus monies, his cap hit could actually be LESS next year than this year, giving more room under a scheduled to be larger cap. This makes room to sign the Edge. Barring that, it would allow the franchise tag to be put on Edge. He will also be a Colt next year!

In other breaking news, the Colts signed Gramaticca today, releasing Jason Baker who had been handling kickoff duties.

Thought you'd like to hear the breaking news!

I've read that the Cap status of harrison will be about 9 million for the next four years. Can that really be lesser than his actual status? Do you know that for sure?

From ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1942016

Two excerpts of interest:
Harrison, who was scheduled to enter free agency after this season, is guaranteed $22 million between now and 2006 and received a $6 million signing bonus. He is making $5.56 million this season.

And:
The structure of Harrison's contract will allow enough flexibility for the Colts to try to find a way to keep running back Edgerrin James. There is a $7 million roster bonus that can be converted into a signing bonus in order to lower Harrison's cap number in 2005 to around only $3.2 million.

This means a cap hit next year that is $2.36M less!

This should help, and as long as te CBA gets done and the cap goes up as expected due to the TV contracts, it shouldn't be a problem!

So what players are going to be ex-Colts because of this and Edge's potential signing?

Again, think cap. The cap goes UP, Harrison's hit goes DOWN. Both headed in the right direction for the Colts.

That is not to say there won't be some people that do not wear a Colts jersey next year. But not because of the cap.

My guess is Morris (MLB) will not be back. Never lived up to expectations. Pollard is expedable because of Clark's emergence as well as 3 other STRONG TE's behind that pair. We have a couple along the O-line that are UFAs, and you may see one go. Howard Mudd is an O-line genius, so that could happen easily. Brad Scioli(DE/DT) may be cut. Harper (CB) is almost assured to be gone since he is a UFA.

There are several others I may have to look up.

The nice thing about this is, that because the cap goes up, and the hits are going down, along with some strategic cuts, none of the losses should be because of the cap. It will be either because the Colts didn't feel they were worth the asking price, or because they decided to move on.

How are the Texans on cap?

coltsrock said:
Again, think cap. The cap goes UP, Harrison's hit goes DOWN. Both headed in the right direction for the Colts.

That is not to say there won't be some people that do not wear a Colts jersey next year. But not because of the cap.

My guess is Morris (MLB) will not be back. Never lived up to expectations. Pollard is expedable because of Clark's emergence as well as 3 other STRONG TE's behind that pair. We have a couple along the O-line that are UFAs, and you may see one go. Howard Mudd is an O-line genius, so that could happen easily. Brad Scioli(DE/DT) may be cut. Harper (CB) is almost assured to be gone since he is a UFA.

There are several others I may have to look up.

The nice thing about this is, that because the cap goes up, and the hits are going down, along with some strategic cuts, none of the losses should be because of the cap. It will be either because the Colts didn't feel they were worth the asking price, or because they decided to move on.

How are the Texans on cap?

Well, hits me more than unexpected. Your theory and the numbers look pretty well even if i dislike the possibility of the hydra staying in place. Let's see if everything falls into place like you've said. The asking price of Edge won't be low nor do i expect him to think about the Colts situation first. He could earn some bucks in FA and the Colts would have to match it or tag him and both aren't cheap choices.

It is also pretty likely that Payton will restructure if needed. They MAY not wind up in cap hell after all.

The only thing restructure gets you eventually is where McNair and the Titans are next year. In other words, make hay while the sun's shinin'

Well ESPN bottom line reported last night that the Colts signed Marvin Harrison to a 7 year deal and it sounds as if they organized his contract to where they would be able to sign Edge again.

coltsrock said:

Harrison's cap hit goes down for 2005 only from the sound of it. They are basically taking his 2005 salary and prorating it over years. That is great for 2005, but you eventually get stuck with that money. Sounds like as early as 2006 his salary will be higher than it is right now.

Actually, there are scheduled roster bonuses in 2005 AND 2006, both of which can be converted to signing bonuses and therefore prorated. 206 doesn't look abd either. As to restructring, consensus is that the cap is going to be going UP, and quite a bit given the new TV contracts. Couple that with dead money that should be rolling off the Colts cap, and things don't look too bad.

Sounds like the Colts will be able to help themselves also by cutting people scheduled to make quite a bit next year, or at least more than they're worth. Morris, Pollard, Scioli.

And even Vandy may be up for grabs. And before you say "that's nuts!", consider a couple of facts. Yes he is the most accurate kicker in the history of football. But his hit next year will be somewhere between $2.5M and $3M. Coupled with the fact that the Colts finally figured out how to score TDs in the red zone, where last year we relied on Vady a LOT more, and he becomes more expendable. And, the Colts just signed Grammatica. He's been down this year. Can he come back? Wo knows? But not a bad situation to be in.

Now, hopefully they can shore up the defense some!

Gramatica missed 7 of his last 9 kicks for the Bucs. It could be a slump, but do you want to risk it next year?

coltsrock said:
Coupled with the fact that the Colts finally figured out how to score TDs in the red zone, where last year we relied on Vady a LOT more, and he becomes more expendable. And, the Colts just signed Grammatica. He's been down this year. Can he come back? Wo knows? But not a bad situation to be in.

Now, hopefully they can shore up the defense some!

I wouldn't be sure that the Colts can repeat on THAT level again next year and without 30 point leads in the 3rd quarter a very good kicker could be worth his money. And at least some kind of defense would be nice also, i supppose.

I've heard that the Panthers and Pats were paying the No.1 and No.2 ranked salary for their top special teamer. They got them though in clutch time and got em some wins, so don't underestimate the worth of your kicker!

Ogre, you're absolutely correct! It may or may not be a slump. The nice thing is, the Colts have him for kickoffs only this year, and will have the remainder of this year and the offseason to evaluate.

And Crumpler, you're right too. It will be difficult to match what is going on this year. But last year, the Colts had a terrible record of scoring TDs in te red zone. They have changed strategies this year and will pass first, then look for the run. It seems to be working better for them. Given their personnel, and the fact that they're coming back pretty much intact for next year, it should be much better, and therefore put less emphasis on the kicker.

Having Vandy would be great, having a good corner would be better. It may become a tradeoff.

One note about this board: it is GREAT to talk football. Good board! Keep it up!

coltsrock said:
Ogre, you're absolutely correct! It may or may not be a slump. The nice thing is, the Colts have him for kickoffs only this year, and will have the remainder of this year and the offseason to evaluate.

And Crumpler, you're right too. It will be difficult to match what is going on this year. But last year, the Colts had a terrible record of scoring TDs in te red zone. They have changed strategies this year and will pass first, then look for the run. It seems to be working better for them. Given their personnel, and the fact that they're coming back pretty much intact for next year, it should be much better, and therefore put less emphasis on the kicker.

Having Vandy would be great, having a good corner would be better. It may become a tradeoff.

One note about this board: it is GREAT to talk football. Good board! Keep it up!

vandy will definitely be gone next year. he's not happy with the colts taking away his kickoff duties, and he's just making too much money. he's gone.

so is marcus pollard. pollard is scheduled to make quite a bit next year, and we have drafted some other tight ends, so he will be released.

morris may be resigned at the vet minimum for depth. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him back in indy, especially considering that polian likes him.

marvin's cap hit will be low for at least 3 years. they don't structure new contracts to shoot up dramatically after only one year. it's just about like peyton's... his is fine for the first few years, and then it goes up alot. by then, it's time to restructure.

Stop wasting your time. edgerin is going to get the franchise tag, and we do have enough money to take care of it. With marvin's new contract he is going to hit the cap less next year. So stop talking about miami (those are old, old rumors) and stop talking about picking him up in free agency. Like we would just let him go like that anyways. I can't believe you guys are serious about this. just like believing the colts ran up the score on you. you don't run the ball when there are eight in the box. You guys were still fighting in the game, so we don't let you start a comeback. You give us the pass and we take it. my god.

Back