Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Edgerrin James A TEXAN NEXT YEAR.....AJ read please

Texans Pride

Veteran
Ok so I am just asking what you all think..

I think I heard on Total Access today that James would be an unrestricted free agent next year...

1. Is there ANY chance Casserly would be interested
2. Would he be a good fit for us
3. Could we afford him

Let me know yalls thoughts...My ears sure tuned in when i heard that!

AJ I wanted your thoughts because you seem to have a good read on these things....Can always count on you for good info

The short answer is no, no and no.

I'll be very surprised if Edge is not in South Beach next year.

It makes no sense to throw multi millions at a RB with that kind of mileage.

I don't particularly want to see the Texans pursue James. I'd much rather see them target a back in the draft.

Id be happy with Derick Blaylock, or Travis Henry if the price is right. EJ is gonna cost way too much money.

Have a friend who is close with James & his family in Indy!!! Although he would like to be in South Florida, he also likes to win. Which ever team, in a warm weather climate, gives him the best chance of winning, look to see James. Miami, down and out. Atlanta, no money, Jags, Fred Taylor, Dallas, JJ. But, what we have to remember, Indy is not out of the race, and according to family, their local papers and owner, look for Manning to restructure his deal to try to keep "The Edge" there, along with Marvin Harrison, but don't count out the Texans. He knows the division, can play on grass to help with injuries, warm climate, up and (coming)should be team, could be the same style of offense as indy, explosive, and a blocking scheme that can work more to his advantage. Overall, he has tons more patients that DD hitting the holes! :hmmm:

That would be nice to get the edge but i dont see it happening. he is going to stay where he is productive, and peyton will restructure. This team needs a bruiser for a running back, a second coming of THE BUS. That will give the team what it needs to open up the passing, the bus could pound it in, but also had some speed to get down field. This team should be a passing team, forget the total balance, carr is a gun slinger adn with receivers like AJ, Bradford, and Armstrong, mix in a TE and this is could be the greatest show on GRASS. They need a back that can carry the ball on 1/3 of the plays, not 1/2, and one that can receive. We need another bus or another marshall faulk.

You know the old Oilers song? That happens to be the Dolphins song too.

MIAMI DOLPHINS. MIAMI DOLPHINS. MIAMI DOLPHINS NUMBER 1.

That is EJ's next destination.

EJ would most likely be too expensive for us to concider, but if the oportunity does present, not a totally bad thought. Personally, I like the idea of a younger, big back with some speed that can pound it and break it every once in a while. Backs have such short shelf lives, I would hate to see us tie up a boat load of cap money for a mid to late career back.

Does anyone know how much cap room the Texans have to pursue potential free agents next year?

The Bus is a great guy, hung out with him in PGH a few times, but not as a running back. You think games are boring in the second half now, just wait until you have a 250lbs RB..................... :whew

pittbull said:
The Bus is a great guy, hung out with him in PGH a few times, but not as a running back. You think games are boring in the second half now, just wait until you have a 250lbs RB..................... :whew

The BUS isnt a good running back? What is he number 3 or 5 all time in rushing yards? Three games he started this year he has over 100 yards in each game? I would say that a person with his running style would be effective for the texans. no one said to get the bus, but someone bus like. You are crazy if you would day that he isnt a good running back, adn he is actually even better in the second half where he can bulldoze through the tired LB's.

georgewashington said:
The BUS isnt a good running back? What is he number 3 or 5 all time in rushing yards? Three games he started this year he has over 100 yards in each game? I would say that a person with his running style would be effective for the texans. no one said to get the bus, but someone bus like. You are crazy if you would day that he isnt a good running back, adn he is actually even better in the second half where he can bulldoze through the tired LB's.
jerome is behind a very good, and finally healthy, offensive line. thats why hes so productive. as for him being top 5 in the nfl in rushing, hes a stat piler. the number is impressive when you see it, but when you look at the quality of those yards, its not nearly as impressive

oh yeah, and you guys cant have EJ. bill polian said he will resign marvin and edge, and miami is a horrible situation for him to go to.

I would take a back that can average 4 yards a carry over a career any day, a player that can have 8 1000+ yard seasons, including a 1300+, 2 1400+ and a 1600+ years. The whole need of this team is a back that is going to be able to pick up 4 or 5 yards on 1st down or second down so that if we get to 3rd down its short yardage which opens up the play book. It keeps the linebackers honest. And it takes more than one guy to bring him down. I would say those stats are pretty impressive. And he has also been pretty good at receiving, averaging 7+ yards a catch over 12 years isnt bad for a RB. The texans could be so lucky to get a productive back that will open up the passing game by keeping the defense honest.

The problem is that Indy cannot afford Marvin Harrison AND Edgerrin James next year. Harrison is one of the top 3-4 WR's in the league. James is a good back but not one of the top 3-4. It is easier to find a good RB than a top 5 WR. Plus RB's usually don't require much time to develop, whereas WR can be one of the slower developing positions on the team.

Its not the RB, its the Offensive line.

If we're gonna throw millions at something, how about a few dominant linemen?

Its both and we have thrown millions at the line. One of our biggest FA's ever has been a RT. Players don't grow on trees. We have solid individual players on the line. They just need more time to get it together. They also need a NFL quality lead back.

I am sure the fins players won't be to happy to see ricky back..maybe if they get edge the texans should take a shot at ricky williams..he might be ok back in texas.

why can't the texans see what i was seeing on draft day..two of our biggest concerns are..not pass rush and imo a very weak excuse for a running back....back during the draft the texans had a chance to get marquise hill DE out of LSU and RB cedric cobb from arkansas...New England saw what i saw because they have them both... :hmmm:

i say we just draft a RB, so he can grow with the team and be around a long time, we are a young team with a lot of young talent and another young player would just heat up things, Right running back (in the draft) and we'd have a dangerious Trio. But if O-Line improves i think D.D will be just as good as any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coolb:

ubecool454 said:
why can't the texans see what i was seeing on draft day..two of our biggest concerns are..not pass rush and imo a very weak excuse for a running back....back during the draft the texans had a chance to get marquise hill DE out of LSU and RB cedric cobb from arkansas...New England saw what i saw because they have them both... :hmmm:

And they are tearing up the league. Hill has played zero times this year and Cobb has one run for one yard. Dang Casserly for not snapping them up--it is obvious they would have made the Texans a play off team.

IMO, it depends on if Indy gets to the SB and wins it :heh:

IF, a very big IF, that happens, then I could see Edge going to Miami.

Did I spell that wrong? Next year he is a free agent. Should the Texans bother or is he too old? Would be great to get an established runner with a few miles left in the tank to groom a draftee than constantly have to worry about the run game. Carr and Johnson are hooking up great right now. Can't wait to see how good it gets when the opposition is scared of our run too.

Much of what this guy says about Rudi Johnson, applies to James--Johnson just has a whole lot more tread left on the tires:

You can't open the vault for Rudi Johnson. You can't declare the Bengals Bank & Trust a Rudi subsidiary. Wallets are not made to be lived in. Not even by Rudi, the hardest-working man in show business. If Rudi wants $6 million a year, the Bengals should drive him to the airport and wish him well.

It's not about Rudi. I like Rudi. Who doesn't?

The man is 220 pounds of purpose. When he's not working, he's working. If anybody else starts riding that stationary bike behind the Bengals bench, I get a little ticked off. That's Rudi's bike.

But it's business. And business says NFL running backs are easily replaced.

Link

He does conveniently leave Emmitt Smith & Terrell Davis out of his analysis, but both those teams built great OL's as well.

James is too valuable to Indy for them to let him go. They'll let Harrison go before James if they can't keep both because Manning can hit anyone and the same result will occur. It'll be easier for them to find a new WR to fill the spot than a RB to fill James's spot. However, isn't Ricky coming back for the Dolphins?

Don't even think about getting Ricky Williams. He is a real head case. We AFC East fans know best because he was in our division (not to mention the up to date Ricky Quotes and pictures).

I doubt you guys will get Edge. He is doing great in Indy this year, and is probably ahead of Marvin Harrison to get resigned.

ubecool454 said:
I am sure the fins players won't be to happy to see ricky back..maybe if they get edge the texans should take a shot at ricky williams..he might be ok back in texas.

Are you drunk? I don't want that self absorbed fool on this team....

edge may be the most complete back in the NFL along with LT. their games are only separated by what they do in the open field. edge will lower his shoulder, and LT will make the sick moves. i do expect edge to command top 3 RB money, but the colts may give it to him.

If the Colts pay Edge top 3 money, Harrison is as good as gone. I don't see how they could afford Manning's contract and pay Edge top 3 money.

The Colts are not dumb enough to give a top 10 RB, top 3 Money. He may ask for it, but he aint getting it unless he wants to play for the Bears.

Since we're thinking about the Jets this week, I think the Texans will make another run at Lamont Jordan in March. They've tried twice before.

texan279 said:
If the Colts pay Edge top 3 money, Harrison is as good as gone. I don't see how they could afford Manning's contract and pay Edge top 3 money.
i hope they dont, but the truth is edge gas every right to ask for it. it all depends on what edge and marvin want that will determine if edge becomes a free agent

aj. said:
Since we're thinking about the Jets this week, I think the Texans will make another run at Lamont Jordan in March. They've tried twice before.

this approach is the one I like best...lower mileage guy at a good price instead overpaying for a lot of mileage.

why isn't anyone talking about shaun alexander rather than edgerrin james. shaun alexander is much better than edge and the seahawks are in a similar problem with shaun alexander, matt hasselbeck, and walter jones.

alexander better than james?!? do explain. is alexander the all time leader in avg yards from scrimmage per game? no, thats james. fantasy football isnt real football, if it was, alexander would be the better back. watch how many times edge makes something from nothing, and how many times alexander goes down after one hit.

Youngstown Colt said:
alexander better than james?!? do explain

Well an argument can certainly be made. In a year to year and a half less playing time:

James 4.2 ypc, 48 TD's, 35 runs over 20 yards and 27 fumbles

Alexander 4.4 ypc, 56 TD's, 39 runs over 20 yards and 15 fumbles

infantrycak said:
Well an argument can certainly be made. In a year to year and a half less playing time:

James 4.2 ypc, 48 TD's, 35 runs over 20 yards and 27 fumbles

Alexander 4.4 ypc, 56 TD's, 39 runs over 20 yards and 15 fumbles

Honestly, for the style that the Texans play, I think alexander is a better fit. The biggest question i have heard concerning him are questions of whether he runs hard a the time. Outside of that he is effective at the goal line, catches the ball out of the backfield, and has been healthy for a RB.

TheOgre said:
The problem is that Indy cannot afford Marvin Harrison AND Edgerrin James next year. Harrison is one of the top 3-4 WR's in the league. James is a good back but not one of the top 3-4. It is easier to find a good RB than a top 5 WR. Plus RB's usually don't require much time to develop, whereas WR can be one of the slower developing positions on the team.

how do you know they can't afford both? they'll be fine as far as the salary cap goes (cap numbers are low for new salaries, and manning's cap hit is still low next year). their only issue is bonus money, and if that's the case they'll franchise one (whichever would be cheaper for the year), and sign the other to a long term contract.. then the year after that, they can sign the other to a long term contract.

As far as Alexander, here's a few quotes from a Seattle writer I contacted yesterday (I asked him for his gut feel on Alexander's future with the Hags):

"My gut tells me he's gone. for a couple reasons. 1. shaun would like a bigger spotlight. 2. the seahawks have 14 unrestricted free agents, and their offense isn't predicated on a great running back, although his play this season makes that decision, much, much tougher. 3. he's not holmgren's top guy, although he could be sliding up the list.

Bottom line: i wouldn't be shocked either way. but if you want my gut, he's gone."

I'm surprised at a couple of the things he said.

Thanks AJ. Good stuff. I to am shocked that he is counting Alexander among the gone. He is a pretty darn good back and most teams wouldn't let him get away. If it comes to that, I say we should take a look. Probably will come with a REALLY high $$$$$ amount to get though.

Back