Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Eddie George @ $2 million per year: Would you do it?

Hottoddie

Veteran
I know that he's been injured & we're set with DD as our starter, with Hollings hopefully taking the next step this year. However, George is apparently healed & his experience/veteran leadership could be invaluable to our very young offensive unit. Also, he might be motivated enough to feel he has something to prove to Bud Adams.

With the exception of Banks, Bradford, & Miller, our skilled position players on offense have 3 or less years of experience & none of them have ever really done anything in the NFL. A player with George's experience could be invaluable to a player like Hollings & he could give DD some tips on prolonging his career (ie, what not to do). If he's completely healed up, he could do for us what Steven Davis did for Carolina.

I'm asking this question, because it appears that Tennessee is low balling him, & if he refuses to accept their offer, they're reportedly going to release him. They're only offering him ~$1.5 million per year.

Assuming he passes our physical, would you be willing to offer him $2-3 million per year for 1-3 years, with only the first year guaranteed?

The Tennessean

George's future with Titans in his own hands
By JIM WYATT
Staff Writer

It turns out running back Eddie George has more than one decision to make over the weekend.

The first, of course, involves his future with the Titans. The other? Which club to use on the 190-yard, par-3?

George is scheduled to play golf this morning with his agents, Lamont Smith and Peter Schaffer, along with Steelers running back Jerome Bettis.

George said last night he still hasn't decided whether to accept a reduced contract from the Titans, but admitted it's now up to him.

''That's pretty much it,'' George said. ''I think they are going to give it one more final offer and based off of that, we'll see what happens. Right now, I couldn't tell you one way or the other what's going to happen for sure.''

That answer could be made at some point along the 18-hole course today; George is scheduled to be paired with Smith. George said he's ready to put the six-month ordeal behind him.

''It hasn't been fun, but I'll know something soon, probably by the end of the weekend,'' George said. ''Right now I'm just going to try and chill out and enjoy the next day or so and talk this thing over, weigh my options and make a decision.''

As expected, George and Smith met yesterday at Smith's office in Denver. The topic of yesterday's conversation centered mainly on marketing ideas for the eight-year pro, but George and Smith were also scheduled to have dinner last night to discuss his contract situation more in depth.

George met with Titans General Manager Floyd Reese earlier this week to discuss his contract before heading to Denver on Thursday night. The Titans would like to keep George, but they've also made it clear to him they'll have no choice but to release him if he decides not accept the contract that's been offered.

George, who has rushed for 10,009 yards in his career, is scheduled to make $4.25 million in 2004, but the Titans aren't willing to pay him much more than $1.5 million.

The Titans continue to wait on George's decision while trying to get contracts finished for the team's 13 draft picks.

Reese said yesterday the two sides have ''gone back and forth several times'' this week in contract negotiations. He sounded somewhat intrigued about George's trip to Denver.

''To be honest, I don't even know what they are talking about,'' Reese said. ''We are just waiting to hear back. … You have to continue working on these other guys, which we'll do.''

Jim Wyatt covers the Titans for The Tennessean. He can be reached at 259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com.

Not a chance I sign him. Stephen Davis rushed for 1500 yards last year, George cant do that. And I can give DD tips, for free, on how to avoid injury and how to prolong his career: work hard, hope for some luck, and dont think that running out of bounds is a bad thing....

Heck! .. we all know how rough it is to get by on 1.5 mil a year, don't we? :rolleyes:
Eddie George was great, and is finding out how it goes in the twilight of your career. They all seem to have a really tough time dealing with it.
The Texans are about 3.3 mil under their cap, but I don't see them jumping at a chance to grab Eddie. Doesn't seem like he would fit into the picture, since we're going young and developing players for the most part.

Agreed, alot of us feel strongly towards him since he started his career here in Houston, and until recently most of us followed and cheered for him. One of the durable and good guys out there. No doubt that he could make an impact on a team that is starved for a back and looking to make a serious playoff run. But that team is not the Texans. DD needs more snaps to improve and with Hollings behind him we are pretty deep.

Maybe the Browns, Buccs, or Eagles could use him.

seems to me if the texans wanted an older bruising running back thats not quite the player he was, wouldnt they have made an offer to mack by now?

The point to be made here, I think, is why pay a RB 1.5 Big Ones, if the chances of him getting much playing time behind Davis and Hollings, is slim and none.

El Tejano said:
Lets just be happy he could be leaving our division.
i agree completely. the only way i take him is if he knows DD is our man and thats that. if he were smart he should stay with tenn. no one else wants that Liability.

Prime Raider material.
The retirement team where Washed up Hall of Famers go to finish their careers.

No, zero, zilch, nada, null, naught, nothing, goose egg, none, zippo, nil, chance that George will become a Texan. Other than that, I think it could happen. lol:

If he leaves the Titans, the Raiders have the inside track, with the Broncos as a darkhorse per profootballtalk.com.

George, Lamont Smith, and Trey Wingo on ESPN Radio today...
TW: Trey Wingo LS: Lamar Smith EG: You know

TW: Will you be a Titan next year?

EG: It doesn't look like a good opportunity right now.

LS: We've worked diligently to come closer to this. If Eddie is not a Titan we want an opportunity to see what's out there, we want closure in the next 24 hours.

TW: What about the Floyd Reese comment two months ago?

EG: After the comment, we had a meeting talking about my role, and my opportunity to make money, that was fine and dandy, what I wanted was a fair offer, that hasn't changed since March. I wanted to retire a Titan, the structure of the deal didnt allow it, it just didnt put me in the best position...it looked like a one year deal. And then I'd be playing year-to-year.

TW: What teams would you like to play for if it doesn't work out with the Titans?

EG: Philly, Tampa, Dallas.

TW: What was the sticking point in the deal?

EG: Really, we were just too far apart. My production was just a result of how I've been used in the offense.

Lamont Smith blamed running back "ageism", the era of the salary cap and the Titans not addressing the O-line as the major obstacles to re-signing George.

.. doesn't sound like he will be back ... he would get booed every time he touched the ball.

The drama continues.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Eddie George, Tennessee's all-time leading rusher, rejected the Titans' latest offer Monday and asked the team to release him quickly so he can seek a job with a new team.

The Redzone

who cares, this greedy has been is turning down 2 million dollars to play football...what a loser, i hope he cant find a job, and if he does, i hope he makes a team worse.

Back