Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Easterby’s Takeover complete..Watson wants out

so what do people think about watson now? with the recent interview and all these "reports/rumors" going about, i'd rather have other people's feedback to this situation, who is really at fault here?

banned1976

sleeper mode
so what do people think about watson now? with the recent interview and all these "reports/rumors" going about, i'd rather have other people's feedback to this situation, who is really at fault here?
My feelings haven't changed about the subject. I feel the best way to rebuild is by keeping your best players and building around them.

The Texans have their left tackle in place and their quarterback under contract. I don't care at all about Watson's hurt feelings. He'll get over it.

I don't know how much of this rift is Watson/Easterby, Watson/Cal, who deserves the majority of the blame and I don't care. I don't get too emotional over this stuff. I've actually been laughing about Easterby's cringe worthy sermons that are bouncing around on Twitter, like this one...

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
lol Easterby is going to be a meme in Houston's social genetics for years to come. It certainly helps that he's got that cult leader vibe about him.
Like a youth pastor really trying hard and struggling to be cool with the kids.

The more I listen to the snippets of his public speeches, or sermons or whatever tf they are, the more I can't believe people fall for that clown's BS.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone

The more I listen to the snippets of his public speeches, or sermons or whatever tf they are, the more I can't believe people fall for that clown's BS.
I agree. I’ve lost all hope that McNumbnuts will ever see thru this charlatans hokey BS. My god McNumbnuts must be the most gullible fool. It wouldn’t surprise me if Osteensterby talks McNumbnuts into letting him manage his money.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Yep. I can see both sides, as well.

So it essentially comes down to if you're a Texans fan or a Deshaun Watson fan. I'm both, but ultimately, I'll be a Houston fan long after both have left the city. :winky:

It seems like it has come to that. And I like Watson, don't like what he is doing. I dislike the FO, but not much I can do about that. I love Nick as GM and due to the staff, I don't mind Culley as HC. As long as he delegates to the staff and acts like a manager. He only has to put a basic idea of what he wants on paper. Then the staff should get the team, position by position to do the job for that position. If that happens, we can win.

All mention of Culley null and void IF Cal and Easterby medal in everything

Texansballer74

The Marine
My feelings haven't changed about the subject. I feel the best way to rebuild is by keeping your best players and building around them.

The Texans have their left tackle in place and their quarterback under contract. I don't care at all about Watson's hurt feelings. He'll get over it.

I don't know how much of this rift is Watson/Easterby, Watson/Cal, who deserves the majority of the blame and I don't care. I don't get too emotional over this stuff. I've actually been laughing about Easterby's cringe worthy sermons that are bouncing around on Twitter, like this one...

The only thing about this is what if he pulls a James Harden and come in and be a straight up cancer. That dude came into camp talking crap to everyone, started sabotaging their games after he scored over 30+ in the first three games and finally going to club without a mask n parading it on social media so that the league and the Rockets can see it. Then the kicker, after the second loss to the Lakers, he says this team is not talent enough and etc just so he could force his way out of here. What if Watson come out balling in the first few games just to show he’s still the man but the trade is not happening fast enough for him or he believes they won’t trade him. Then he starts sabotaging games

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

He's got that Joel Osteen gloss about him, and like you said, also a misguided youth counselor trying way too hard to be cool. It's straight up cringe.

I'm like you. This dude is a freakin' clown. And that's the nicest way to put it. How Belichick thought highly of this guy is beyond my comprehension, and it honestly makes me question the overall genius of Bill Belichick.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
He's got that Joel Osteen gloss about him, and like you said, also a misguided youth counselor trying way too hard to be cool. It's straight up cringe.

I'm like you. This dude is a freakin' clown. And that's the nicest way to put it. How Belichick thought highly of this guy is beyond my comprehension, and it honestly makes me question the overall genius of Bill Belichick.
He was there in KC when Javon Belcher killed himself in front of a bunch of people in the parking lot (including Pioli and Crennel), so I can imagine how he may have been able to help some of those traumatized people with counseling. And if you're religious, his style of counseling might appeal to you even more. I bet Pioli and Crennel are the connection to Belichick. Then "lucked" into counseling the Pats through the Aaron Hernandez thing. I think both of those situations gave him more confidence and more ambition.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He was there in KC when Javon Belcher killed himself in front of a bunch of people in the parking lot (including Pioli and Crennel), so I can imagine how he may have been able to help some of those traumatized people with counseling. And if you're religious, he's style of counseling might appeal to you even more. I bet Pioli and Crennel are the connection to Belichick. Then "lucked" into counseling the Pats through the Aaron Hernandez thing. I think both of those situations gave him more confidence and more ambition.
That makes a lot of sense. And if that's all he was in Houston, we probably wouldn't even know his name.

It's the Cal connection that elevated Jack's game to executive level. Cal is the moron glue holding all of this mess together.

banned1976

sleeper mode
That makes a lot of sense. And if that's all he was in Houston, we probably wouldn't even know his name.

It's the Cal connection that elevated Jack's game to executive level. Cal is the moron glue holding all of this mess together.
It would be one thing if Cal and Easterby together have created this mess and then Cal hired Nick Caserio, someone I think we all agree on could be a good GM, to come in and clean it all up. Cal could just go home and let Caserio work some magic. The problem is, even if Cal does fade into the background, it looks like Easterby is going to be allowed to do what he's doing (calling agents, calling players moms, meddling in players lives...allegedly) because he and Nick are long-time friends. Nick has said Jack has been there for him during some tough personal times.

Appearances are there is no buffer between the players and JE. They hired a guy for head coach that's just happy to be a head coach in the NFL. So happy he's surrendered responsibilities of hiring his coaching staff over to...I don't know who, I guess Nick? At any rate, Culley's just around to give pep talks. He's a head coach in name only. So the players have to deal with JE and his fake persona. And if I was a player making millions of dollars, I'll be honest, I would be trying to find a way out. F the money, I would not want to have Jack Easterby hoovering around and my guess is, he's throwing himself at the better players on the team, especially Watson. Trying to be his personal Jesus. Trying to ingratiate himself to these players so they'll go to bat for him when he needs them.

I'm guessing many of us have had to deal with a JE in our lives. You know they're not your real friends, you know they're cozying up to you for some future gain for themselves but they're just so damned polite it's difficult to tell them to just go away. And they may even hold some power over you. I believe that is the situation inside the Texans organization. JMO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think I have less of a problem with it if it's Caserio deciding that he wants to bring his own people in, and more if it's a "cultural fit" problem, like Nick was suggesting.
There's a cultural problem with the Texans and it needs to be fixed. This has nothing to do with Caserio/JE. It has to do with a sense of self entitlement and softness that starts with ownership and has worked it's way down to all levels of the Texans org.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Very nice read. And while mainly written as an option. I pets think it is pretty much factual.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
There's a cultural problem with the Texans and it needs to be fixed. This has nothing to do with Caserio/JE. It has to do with a sense of self entitlement and softness that starts with ownership and has worked it's way down to all levels of the Texans org.
I think that Caserio is one of the least affected by the entitled mentality at this point. Cal, Easterby (see article I posted) and many players are so far gone it's sad.

texanhead08

All Pro
I heard one of the media guys refer to him as a climber which basically means he got into the position he is in by stepping on and stabbing in the back all that was necessary to make the next step up.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I heard one of the media guys refer to him as a climber which basically means he got into the position he is in by stepping on and stabbing in the back all that was necessary to make the next step up.
Sure did, ask OB. I am sure he would have been happy with a GM. But, Easterby probably told Cal he could help. After inking Watson, he starts doing stupid things like the DHop trade. All blame OB...knife inserted into back. Reason I am very sure that is what happened is OB was onboard with getting Nick. Making him open to getting a GM.

texanhead08

All Pro
Sure did, ask OB. I am sure he would have been happy with a GM. But, Easterby probably told Cal he could help. After inking Watson, he starts doing stupid things like the DHop trade. All blame OB...knife inserted into back. Reason I am very sure that is what happened is OB was onboard with getting Nick. Making him open to getting a GM.

Not to mention after we lose to go 0-4 Watt in the press conference says something has to change and we hear about Easterby texting players and telling Cal what was being said behind BOB's back.

Maverick

Failure is not an option
That's what I've heard as well. His "impact" was felt after the Aaron Hernandez debacle. That being said, a grief counselor/chaplain doesn't make him anywhere close to being qualified to run an NFL franchise in Cal's stead. Texans will continue to be a joke until you get football people running the football organization.

He was there in KC when Javon Belcher killed himself in front of a bunch of people in the parking lot (including Pioli and Crennel), so I can imagine how he may have been able to help some of those traumatized people with counseling. And if you're religious, his style of counseling might appeal to you even more. I bet Pioli and Crennel are the connection to Belichick. Then "lucked" into counseling the Pats through the Aaron Hernandez thing. I think both of those situations gave him more confidence and more ambition.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Scooter

Funky
I want to say this in jest, but are we entering corporate level tampering and subversion? O'Brien clears the roster, cap, draft and staff - which takes longer than expected because the patsy GM goes all in on a "Natural" at QB, but eventually it crumbles. A random pastor becomes king of someone else's franchise in an instant. Unnecessary and aggressive firings of qualified, talented and loved members of the organization - from league regarded PR to equipment managers - for no noticeable reason outside of rumored affiliation. Much is made of promising Watson a voice in hiring the next GM - his voiced rumored to be 'minority interviews' - reality being Cesario was hired as O'Brien's exchange long before that discussion. We have two players left on the roster, Watt and Watson ... both wanting out.

I'm calling shenanigans and hope that our TT retired attorneys would like to come back to keep an eye on things.

Predictably there's one guy ...

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I say fire Easterby, Caserio, the new HC I can't remember his name, and everyone else involved with the organization. Throw a few names in the hat and pick one to be the new GM and start the hell over. And trade away anyone worth any kind of draft pick. And rename the team.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm probably going to be repetitive .... but the irony here is unbelievable. We, at least I, wanted O'Brien gone so badly for so long. It may not be fair to him, but not only did I dislike his system of running, coaching, drafting, et., I didn't like the man himself. We find ourselves with the blessing of a fresh start, only to allow it to be taken over by something even worse ! It's deviant .... almost malevolent .... and I, we can see no reason, no purpose for their antics. The only major players in this .... that I'm okay with are David Culley and Lovie Smith. They may not be the long term answer, But this team, and more importantly its fanbase need a lot of healing. At this point, there is a lot to be said for honesty and openness. This is literally like a bad dream .... and it keeps getting worse .... Madness ! Does complete absence of integrity come to mind for anyone else ?

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I say fire Easterby, Caserio, the new HC I can't remember his name, and everyone else involved with the organization. Throw a few names in the hat and pick one to be the new GM and start the hell over. And trade away anyone worth any kind of draft pick. And rename the team.
News at 7 "Nick Easterby has fired Thorn for his constant bickering and being a thorny guy"

Texian

Hall of Fame
I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm probably going to be repetitive .... but the irony here is unbelievable. We, at least I, wanted O'Brien gone so badly for so long. It may not be fair to him, but not only did I dislike his system of running, coaching, drafting, et., I didn't like the man himself. We find ourselves with the blessing of a fresh start, only to allow it to be taken over by something even worse ! It's deviant .... almost malevolent .... and I, we can see no reason, no purpose for their antics. The only major players in this .... that I'm okay with are David Culley and Lovie Smith. They may not be the long term answer, But this team, and more importantly its fanbase need a lot of healing. At this point, there is a lot to be said for honesty and openness. This is literally like a bad dream .... and it keeps getting worse .... Madness ! Does complete absence of integrity come to mind for anyone else ?
You pretty much nailed it with O'Brien. I too never liked him from day 1. 99% of all this crapola is because O'Brien. Easterby happens to be an easy scapegoat. It was O'Brien who brought in Easterby and it was Easterby who brought in Caserio so you see all roads lead to O'Brien. O'Brien may have been fired but he stills lives with the Texans and will for at least the next 5 years. Sounds like a scary science fiction show.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
You pretty much nailed it with O'Brien. I too never liked him from day 1. 99% of all this crapola is because O'Brien. Easterby happens to be an easy scapegoat. It was O'Brien who brought in Easterby and it was Easterby who brought in Caserio so you see all roads lead to O'Brien. O'Brien may have been fired but he stills lives with the Texans and will for at least the next 5 years. Sounds like a scary science fiction show.
1612741047933.png

Maverick

Failure is not an option
I agree with you on O'Brien. I didn't despise him as a coach, I despised his decision making, especially when he made himself GM, or Cal made him GM.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm probably going to be repetitive .... but the irony here is unbelievable. We, at least I, wanted O'Brien gone so badly for so long. It may not be fair to him, but not only did I dislike his system of running, coaching, drafting, et., I didn't like the man himself. We find ourselves with the blessing of a fresh start, only to allow it to be taken over by something even worse !