Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

East-West Shrine Game Commentary

Mike Haas is a guy like Ricky Proehl or Wayne Chrebet. He is that guy that you put in the slot and he just makes the catches. He isnt going to put up huge numbers, but whoever gets him gets that third down target who will consistently make the big catch for a QB. He is likely to be a second day pick because of his lack of measurables.

Coach C. said:
Slay- the guy can hit we all know that, but he showed that in coverage he really is below-average. I see him as a 4th rounder or low 3rd. He is going to have to gain a little weight and move to SS.

Slay looks the part of an NFL LB already. He does not really need to gain weight, but he does need to play SS. He is not someone I want at FS.

Coach C. said:
Rocky McIntosh- Damn this kid looked great, fast, strong, shedding blocks, and showing his hands. The kid is likely in the same rounds as Slay, but he would be the best pick for us if he is around in the 4th. He is a poor-man's Vilma very similar to Will Witherspoon

I have been trying to find out more information about him for a while, but cannot seem to find it. Game footage and a report would help. I've only seen him in a few games this year, but did not think to tape them. I think he could be a great mid round solution to our need at MLB.

Mike Hass is a guy I'd DEFINITELY want on my roster. Whoever said Ricky Proehl clone is right. Except I was thinkin more like Eddie McCaffery

Coach C. said:
Slay- the guy can hit we all know that, but he showed that in coverage he really is below-average. I see him as a 4th rounder or low 3rd. He is going to have to gain a little weight and move to SS.

I totally concur with this eval. I saw a body that many WR's, TE's RB's in the NFL would love to drop their shoulder into. He needs to bulk up.

I thought Jennings from W. Michigan was as impressive as Hass. He did a great job of getting one deep ball and showed he knows how to adjust his body well to the ball and simply make a play on it. Looks to be a good route runner and a guy who is dependable. A possible Derrick Mason clone from the same state he would make for a great second day pick if available.

I'm sticking with Cooper Wallace as my 5th round choice and TE sleeper to be a solid pro. Might not have top end speed but possesses all the intangibles. Smart kid with great character who has won at every level.

I thought Jason Hall from the Vols and Wyche from Syracuse looked strong. UT Rocky Top might have had the best defensive line in the country and I believe they are all grossly undervalued and will all have serious impacts in the pros(Mahelona,Haralson,Hall).

I got to go to this game. All in all a great game. Someone I was very impressed by was Marques Colston. I had never heard of him before the game, but the man made some very impressive catches and is huge...around 6'4 I believe.
Hass didn't disappoint. Runs good routes and scored the game winning td (also had one of the funniest end zone celebrations I've seen...not that it matters but still). Also, Sims was massive and bullied people everywhere.
I was very disappointed in Drew Olsen's play. He just looked horrible out there, fumbling a snap, horribly overthrowing receivers, and falling once while handing the ball off.
Colston definitely wouldn't be a bad pick up, though, in the later rounds. I don't believe he'll stick around late enough to where Houston can take a chance on him though.

I currently live in San Antonio. Casserly was on the radio this week stating the David Thomas was a very "interesting prospect." He compared him to Putzier (TE) in the Broncos system, very good athlete and receiver.

Thomas was on the radio as well later in the week and said that he met with Texans officials, as well as several other teams (players were allowed to interview with teams). He said he is being projected to go anywhere from the 2nd-5th round, with him likely going in 3rd or 4th.

I was watching Andrew Whitworth personally. Im a LSU fan and really wish him success. Everyplay that I saw he held his own in the 1 on 1 and gave his QB plenty of time. I would say the Texans should draft him in the 3rd to perhaos play some RT but I might get called a LSU homer. :stirpot:

I was watching the East-West game the other day and saw some pretty good players and then the other game that came on after it in Hawaii and a really good DB that stood out to me was Sway from Texas Tech (6"3", 210) and man can that kid not only ring your bell but can fly to the ball like a hawk. Just something to talk about to break up all the VY & RB talk that seems to be repetitious.

I go to Texas Tech and saw him every home game in person and then on TV for away games. My prognosis:

Pros:HUGE hitter, a deadly tackler, great size, very athletic, can make plays, forces A LOT of fumbles, amazing in run support

Cons:Will miss tackles going for the big hit, not very fast, needs to work on his coverage skills, inexperienced, only started 1 year

TigerBait said:
I was watching Andrew Whitworth personally. Im a LSU fan and really wish him success. Everyplay that I saw he held his own in the 1 on 1 and gave his QB plenty of time. I would say the Texans should draft him in the 3rd to perhaos play some RT but I might get called a LSU homer. :stirpot:

Yeah I'm sure I'm the Vol/SEC homer but who cares as long as you assess things objectively. The SEC was greatly overlooked this year and I believe a lot of sleepers will come out of this conference because all they do is beat up on each other. I've enjoyed watching Kyle Williams but we already have a bunch of 4-3 DT's. LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, and Alabama all have defensive players coming out that will drop IMO simply because they are not high profile and have zero hype.

Back