Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Only issue with that is that slot WR is the only WR that Caserio has a history of drafting well. To go after one in FA seems a waste when it’s the outside guys who he struggles to identify through the draft.
Wait a minute. We might be giving Caserio too much credit. They drafted Edelman who had three 1000 yard seasons in 11 years. Wes Welker was in his 4th year when they traded for him and they signed Danny Amendola as a FA.

I might have missed someone. Who else did he draft as a slot WR?
I say it is giving Caserio too much credit saying he was drafting players or giving him sole responsibility of drafts for the Patriots.

Belicheck did the drafting and it has been proven the last 5 or so years Belicheck ignored his scouts and thought he knew better. It wasn’t until the past year or before that it is being reported that Belicheck is listening more.

Either way - Caserio wasn’t drafting players for the Patriots.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
From what I've heard Gruden made the final calls on personnel.

It's not a hard job if a GM understands economics/finances and can look at talent after his scouts find the guys they like that fits the teams system. Then watches film of those 100-120 players religiously. Finds out who the GM likes and has background and medical investigations done on the guys he wants.

Finances come in when you want to re-sign your guys or sign FA's. Again a lot of film needs to be watched before those commitments are made.
This is not what I heard, this is what I know. The relationship between between the coach and gm is such. The coach is looking for a specific body/skill type of type. If you're in a wco, you look for lineman who can move. Most tackles in in wco are ex te's or other postisional players like brown or winstrom. So when I say say RS would've never drafted Fido if Kubes were the hc, those are facts not assumptions because he didn't fit the body type/skill type. As with Maeris and Sio.. So Mayock is not going to draft players who don't fit what Gruden wants to do offensively not defensively especially knowing Gruden brought in Mayock.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is not what I heard, this is what I know. The relationship between between the coach and gm is such. The coach is looking for a specific body/skill type of type. If you're in a wco, you look for lineman who can move. Most tackles in in wco are ex te's or other postisional players like brown or winstrom. So when I say say RS would've never drafted Fido if Kubes were the hc, those are facts not assumptions because he didn't fit the body type/skill type. As with Maeris and Sio.. So Mayock is not going to draft players who don't fit what Gruden wants to do offensively not defensively especially knowing Gruden brought in Mayock.
Of course he isn't.

He put together the board for Gruden and Gruden made the final calls.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
woulda coulda shoulda

The facts are we got a goose egg in the win column and I'm sure there's LOTS of reason for that. Starting with the Texans aren't a very good team and haven't been for a while.
Quoted for truth.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Used to be the Redskins, but you know that. Just because you don't like the name doesn't make it any less real
Doesn't mean I'm going to stop calling them the Redskins either. Everybody knows who the Redskins are. Not everybody knows who the Commanders are.

Needless to say I'm not backing down to the PC police.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
It's still really ugly football and not much fun to watch. The one thing Texans fans should be good at by now, and I know I am is watching a young, bad, and lost football team start to put it together. We've seen that a few times. Now actually getting it together for consistent success we don't get much of around here but we watch teams that don't know what they're doing kind of start to gel all the time. Almost yearly it seems. This I have not seen so far. Maybe I missed it or something. These guys (players and coaches alike) look confused and out of sync to me.

zshawn10

All Pro
32. Houston Texans (0-3-1)
Week 4 ranking: 32

Defensive efficiency: 47.6
League rank: 20th

The biggest issue on defense is ... defending the run.

The Texans are allowing 5.1 yards per carry and have allowed 688 total rushing yards, the second most in the NFL. They've allowed 34 first downs on the ground, the third most in the NFL. It's one of the many reasons they're winless, and it has made them vulnerable in the play-action game, too. They've allowed 415 yards off play-action, which is the fourth most in the NFL. -- DJ Bien-Aime

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What if having Mills as QB and Lovie as HC is Caserio’s plan to tank? Franchises do it.
NC already has 2 1st round picks for the next 2 drafts...he's set to add some premium talent regardless of where we finish these next 2 years. Fans make a huge deal out of having 2 top 10 1st round picks...not sure GM's do tho. In fact, i think most GM's who has the setup NC currently has would rather have them spread out in the 1st. Plus too in my mind its much easier to move up and get a guy you like who is dropping vs getting someone to give up a ton to move up into a top 5-10 position. The talent in the top 5 too is almost always exaggerated. Going back to 2017, you can pick out 1-2 guys out of the top 5 in each of those drafts that has actually turned into something. The rest have turned into JAG's. The best value is almost always around the middle of the 1st to the top of the 2nd.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
NC already has 2 1st round picks for the next 2 drafts...he's set to add some premium talent regardless of where we finish these next 2 years. Fans make a huge deal out of having 2 top 10 1st round picks...not sure GM's do tho. In fact, i think most GM's who has the setup NC currently has would rather have them spread out in the 1st. Plus too in my mind its much easier to move up and get a guy you like who is dropping vs getting someone to give up a ton to move up into a top 5-10 position. The talent in the top 5 too is almost always exaggerated. Going back to 2017, you can pick out 1-2 guys out of the top 5 in each of those drafts that has actually turned into something. The rest have turned into JAG's. The best value is almost always around the middle of the 1st to the top of the 2nd.
Eagles have Saints 1st rd pick this year on a already deep team. The Rams under Fisher had excess 1st rd picks from the RG3 trade and did nothing with it literrally

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Right now they're playing like a 2 to 4 win team this year. They have just enough talent to win a few more than 4, but I don't think they can pull it together enough times to go over 4 wins, there's just to many ifs buts and maybes to fall in place for more than 4 wins this year with their talent level.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Not if he can't figure out what to do with them. A couple more Stingley-type picks and we're going to all be looking back at this era of the Texans with tears in our eyes. Pitre looks like a prize. Stingley looks like this drafts version of "Charles Rogers". Should have taken Sauce.

NC does this too many times and he's going to start looking like Charlie Casserly.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’d really like someone to figure out the run game. The team should theoretically have enough talent by now to have a competent run game. And they do seem with it when Pierce is on the field. But he is not getting bell cow snaps and when he isn’t getting the ball it is terrible. I’d like to see a bit more variation (WR reverses, misdirection) until they acquire another Green level prospect that can knock defenders on their butt in a straightforward i formation my guy is going to beat your guy play.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Not if he can't figure out what to do with them. A couple more Stingley-type picks and we're going to all be looking back at this era of the Texans with tears in our eyes. Pitre looks like a prize. Stingley looks like this drafts version of "Charles Rogers". Should have taken Sauce.

NC does this too many times and he's going to start looking like Charlie Casserly.
Lol, Stingley looks fine...he's being asked to do way more than Sauce yet still hasn't given up a TD. He's also playing without the benefit of a pass rush.........or offense. Sauce is strictly a boundary CB in Saleh's zone on the left side..& he has a bit better pass rush to assist him to boot. He's is being overrated as hell b/c he's in NY & b/c he's not really being targeted as much as Stingley.......& the Texans suck so...... Qb's playing against Sauce largely don't have to go at him either b/c the other cb on the other side isn't very good. It's Namdi Asomugha level unjustified hype.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Stingley is far better than Rodgers. Stingley will end up being a top flight CB. So will Sauce. IMHO Nothing wrong with this.