Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Allen didn't struggle to badly that yr. He took his team to the playoffs and should have beaten the Texans on the road.
He threw for under 60%, 3k yds,20 tds, 6.7 ypa. He had the top ranked defense and just like in that game, he was throwing balls in the dirt and airmailing over wr heads. He didn't struggle and looked like a bust, but he struggled to the point that nobody thought he would be anywhere close to as good as he's playing the last couple of years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He threw for under 60%, 3k yds,20 tds, 6.7 ypa. He had the top ranked defense and just like in that game, he was throwing balls in the dirt and airmailing over wr heads. He didn't struggle and looked like a bust, but he struggled to the point that nobody thought he would be anywhere close to as good as he's playing the last couple of years.
Agreed, nobody thought he would be this good.

I remember that I told people Allen was going to be better than Derrick and was laughed at. Who's laughing now?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't think they played that bad. They played well enough to win
Howard flat out sucked and Quessenberry was only marginally better. Howard is looking alot like last yr. Very busty, how long until he gets hurt again? You know it's going to happen, it's only a matter of when.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Agreed, nobody thought he would be this good.

I remember that I told people Allen was going to be better than Derrick and was laughed at. Who's laughing now?
Who did you tell that to? I don't remember that post unless you told your homies. Even if you did, it doesn't surprise anyone because you think he's a subpar/average qb. I don't see Buffalo trading away Diggs who had the most targets and recepts the 1st year in buffalo. I don't see them trotting out rbs nobody else wants either. Buffalo from a organization is 10 times better than Houston. Allen has had luxuries. What they do after losing to KC because the defense couldn't get off the field? The sign Von Miller. The texans rewarded Merci with a new contract even though he was washed. Theyve continued to draft dynamic dual threat running backs. There is no comparison of between the 2 even before we knew about the off the field bs. Of course you know this but won't admit it, but carry on.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Howard flat out sucked and Quessenberry was only marginally better. Howard is looking alot like last yr. Very busty, how long until he gets hurt again? You know it's going to happen, it's only a matter of when.
Quessenburey shouldn't be starting no more than Britt, but the gm sat on his hands and did nothing after evaluating Britt. AJ Cann gave up action,as did Q. On the whole, the oline was adequate, the offense in general was bad. Cooks should've caught that low pass, Mills was bad,defense wasn't timely enough. This is just a rerun of last year in terms of win total. 4-6 wins if they're fortunate.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Kinda like Mills so far this year?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I didn't think they played that bad. They played well enough to win
We have Denver's putrid offense to thank for that.
I was driving Sunday, so missed most of the game. I finally watched the first half last night... Q looks like a huge upgrade to me. Best Center we've had since Ben Jones.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Who did you tell that to? I don't remember that post unless you told your homies.
I recall him making that comment both before and after that playoff game. It was met with derision because of both who made it and the fact that everyone was really high on Watson at the time.
The rest of your post has nothing to do with the conversation taking place. No one in this thread is saying the Texans are better or better run than the Texans

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's a boring franchise that puts out a boring product.

But, such is the nature of an infinite "rebuild". And I say infinite because it feels that way when you know in your gut that they still need a QB and head coach in the end.

I like Lovie as a person, but I'm not going to act like he's something he's not. And Mills has shown me absolutely zero that he's in this team's future as a starting QB.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’m surprised how bad Howard looked at what is supposed to be his best position. I was expecting average to above average play from him this year but he is making me wonder if they shouldn’t just play Deculus and see if he can grow into the role. Howard should not get a 2nd contract with this level of play.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I don't remember that. However, I do remember after a preseason game, you said Nate Peterman looked better than Derrick.
Look, we've all been wrong, but that one there, lol. Go look back at the predraft threads and even before the off field stuff of Watson, he never liked that dude. The Peterman thing is just too funny

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't really care to "defend" Tunsil. He is who he is.

But I will criticize bad football takes. Tunsil blocks the man in front of him. That's the way it's supposed to work. Block inside out. Looks more like they (the team) did not identify the rushers, or someone was supposed to pull to block that outside guy (since it was an empty backfield).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Doesn't matter since Howard is beat so bad by the blitzing safety that got to Mills first.
When that safety got into his chest the way he did, Howard should have been able to bench press him off his track. But he does that ole thing we're famous for in Houston.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Look, we've all been wrong, but that one there, lol. Go look back at the predraft threads and even before the off field stuff of Watson, he never liked that dude. The Peterman thing is just too funny
At this stage of Watson career here, he didn’t even give the man a chance. Very critical of everything he was doing on the field. But we’re giving Mills a pass. Talk about wildly inconsistent with every aspect of the passing game. Talk about not being able to read a defense and set up his protection. He should be murdering Mills name right now.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Offense:

Generally pretty bad. Pierce looks promising, OJ could be a great addition as he gets more playing time, WRs are underwhelming, and the O-line is marginally better than last year but still pretty bad. Watching the front five taking turns whiffing on blocks is enraging.

As for Mills, I don't know if the biggest problem is him or Pep. My impression is that he's not diagnosing the defense very well pre-snap so he can work the mismatches. I don't know if that's him being bad at that part of the game, or the coach telling him where the ball needs to go. Either way, the result is the same - a terrible pass attack.

Defense:

They've kept the offense in the game. They're not great, but they're doing enough to give the team a chance to win - currently tied for 9th least amount of points scored per game. The main issue I've seen is the LBs not doing a good job diagnosing the offense pre-snap and not playing disciplined. That effects the front four in the running game and the secondary in the passing game. Maybe they improve as the season goes on, but I think there's just a big lack of talent there.

Coaching:

Pretty good on the defensive side of the ball and pretty bad on the offensive side. The offense hasn't been this sluggish and predictable since the days of Dom Capers. It's okay to be a run-first offense, but that doesn't have to mean having no movement and misdirection. Overall, this is a scrappy group with a dearth of talent. They'll knock out one or two unexpected wins, they'll keep a lot of games close, but they'll be picking in the top 10 next draft (probably top 5). Get the young guys some experience. Maybe that'll be something to build on next season.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not surprising.

Btw, I think you're thinking about Texan.
I don't remember you saying that; but I do remember you were all over Peterman before the draft. You thought he was the best of the mid-round QB's and even stated that you would trade up to take him in the 2nd. No one thought there was a 1st round QB in that draft

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I don't remember you saying that; but I do remember you were all over Peterman before the draft. You thought he was the best of the mid-round QB's and even stated that you would trade up to take him in the 2nd. No one thought there was a 1st round QB in that draft
Yep

Mangler

Toro de España
It’s not as personal as y’all make it seem. Me and Steelb went at it several times over Watson vs X QB, but at the end of the day it wasn’t about him not liking Watson. He doesn’t hold Clemson players in such high regard as most of y’all do. He wasn’t completely wrong about Watson at the end of the day.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It’s not as personal as y’all make it seem. Me and Steelb went at it several times over Watson vs X QB, but at the end of the day it wasn’t about him not liking Watson. He doesn’t hold Clemson players in such high regard as most of y’all do. He wasn’t completely wrong about Watson at the end of the day.
It’s about accountability. He held Watson to certain accountabilities and he should do the same for others. So far he’s not dragging Mills through the mud like he did Watson during this time of his career. He was calling the man stupid, saying he couldn’t read a defense and etc.. Mills hasn’t shown any signs that he could do any of that as well. And he went to Stanford.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
It’s about accountability. He held Watson to certain accountabilities and he should do the same for others. So far he’s not dragging Mills through the mud like he did Watson during this time of his career. He was calling the man stupid, saying he couldn’t read a defense and etc.. Mills hasn’t shown any signs that he could do any of that as well. And he went to Stanford.
Which player was a first round pick and which was a third? Which one inherited an all pro WR (and a 1st round deep threat)?

If we’re talking strictly from Mills’ QB class he has endured more criticism than the top 10 QBs Lawrence, Lance, Wilson and Fields despite outperforming them on the field.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which player was a first round pick and which was a third? Which one inherited an all pro WR (and a 1st round deep threat)?

If we’re talking strictly from Mills’ QB class he has endured more criticism than the top 10 QBs Lawrence, Lance, Wilson and Fields despite outperforming them on the field.
Quoted for truth.

I'm waiting to see weapons put around Mills before I judge him too harshly. However I will say that Mills 2 games this yr has disappointed me. In short Mills hasn't played enough football to be properly judged yet. We knew coming out of the draft he was extremely green and so far that's been the case. There have been growing pains, but guess what, with any drafted QB there will be growing pains.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Doesn’t matter. We have quarterbacks who were drafted in the later rounds aka Tom the G.O.A.T Brady right. Then we have the JaMarcus Russell’s busted number 2 overall pick right? It’s all about holding the players to the same standards versus using your personal feelings about a player or where they played in college to sway your opinions/judgment to that point of calling them stupid. Watson on the field talent was top notch. Mills on the field talent is meh as of right now. He looks lost and scared out there. Like I said the other day, one of my homies was at the game and he said once Denver’s crowd got into the game Mills choked up.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Another thing I pointed out last season he out performed them as well. But right now he looks like he regressed big time.