Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Defense.
Biggest weakness is the lack of a decent pass rush - a stud on that line would open more opportunities for the rest and help out the DBs.
If the offense can be more effective then they would have some help.
Otherwise they are passable.
Offense.
Definitely underwhelming - they are not going to instill fear in anyone.
The Oline still has issues and we need another receiving threat.
Davis Mills has a lot of growing to do if he is to be anything more than Matt Schaub 2.0 and the issues I pointed out are not helping him.
They don't seem to have a plan - or is that just me?
They definitely have a failing grade.
Overall, Texans are definitely in the hunt for a top 5 pick in the next draft - yeah it is early days, but I can't get excited for much more than that.
I'll open it up.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Spot on.

Coaching so far is horrible. I don’t understand what Pep is trying to do. You finally got DP going and you only run one play action pass. You’re not taking advantage of the mismatches that are out there.

During those preseason games we seen that defense swarm to the ball. Now these jokers act like they can’t tackle. The linebackers are over pursuing. You’re giving up to many big plays.

Good grief, where’s the discipline? Too many freaking penalties on both sides of the ball.

edo783

Hall of Fame
Tackling, tackling, tackling!!! I was beginning to think that the Broncos were all covered in grease the way we kept sliding off of them. We are a rebuilding team with mediocre talent. We make too many mistakes to be able to win with this level of talent. The online should be better than its been playing. Pierce is a good solid back. I don't think he is a great back that can take over a game, but a good solid back. I wish Mills was up to the level Schwab was at his best, but he is Not so far. The defense is slow and suspect in it's play. The rookies have growing to do, but look like they may get there.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is a new team. Training camp only does so much. Preseason only allows for so much.

The coaching really hasn’t started until after game 1.

& it’s not just Houston. You saw Indy dealing with it last week. You saw it in New England last week. You saw Denver dealing with it this week. Seattle this week. It’s all over the league.

Most of us didn’t expect 6 wins out of this club. What did you expect to see? This is what a six win team looks like.

Personally I thought the would win more than six games. In December they will be just outside the wildcard race. I’m seeing that same 6 win team but thinking the coaching will get them to 8 wins.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Where was 2 touch down last week TE O J Howard? One target for 7 yards? One target?
Where was over the top free safety supporting our 1.3 Derek Stingley?
Where was our conditioning for 2 games?
Oj said those two touchdowns were because of something they saw concerning a particular player in a particular situation.

I'm guessing they didn't play that dummy this week.

badboy

Hall of Fame
On the bright side {I guess} Mills passed to seven players successfully. 19 catches of 37 targets.. yep right in the middle.. we might be average but it doesn't feel that way to me.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Good thing about the late afternoon start is that I got to watch a lot of the noon games. A lot of good, exciting, football, big plays being made, and all of that fun stuff. Switch it to the Texans game and it's an absolute snoozefest, like it's been for a good long while now.

My impression so far is that they are still a long ways away, just as I suspected they would be. The Broncos were atrocious today, and they not only couldn't beat them, they couldn't even find the end zone one time.

Howard had 2 TD catches last week, virtually disappears this week. For what seems like the millionth year in a row, they can't defend the run. And a simple thing like better tackling would help big time there. But it's the same ol problems they always have no matter who the coaches are. I just don't get that.

Mills is showing absolutely nothing to this point. I mean, there was at least a flash or 2 last year, but so far there ain't nothing. Only 2 games so we'll see.

I like Pierce a lot, but that dude is a pretty violent runner. I'm afraid he's not going to last very long like that, especially now that it appears he will be taking a majority of the snaps. He never did that in college, so I'm just concerned if he can hold up. And then when they do make him the feature back he still only gets 15 touches? All summer long it's been run, run, run, and they come out today and have 70% pass/30% run.

This team still just has no identity whatsoever. I have no idea what they're trying to do, and I'm not real positive they do.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ok but one target? If nothing else seems to be working and one target gets you 7 yards.. you don't call one more play just to try for another 7 yards?
Maybe they did, but the defense played it different & Mills didn't see Oj as a good target.

It's not like the Texans are sitting there thinking, "We'll call this play & throw it to this guy."

It doesn't work that way.

I want to think that Pep is calling the same offense Mills was playing when he was at Stanford, but I don't think it is. Terminology may be similar, but it looks like this offense is just as new to Mills as it is to Cooks & the rest of the team.

I hoped promoting Pep from QB coach to OC there would be some continuity & we'd build on what they did last season, but... doesn't look that way. Looks like we're starting over. So maybe Mills can show that improvement we saw last season, only better, being that he's a 2nd year pro.

No reason for us to be optimistic about that, only hope.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Maybe they did, but the defense played it different & Mills didn't see Oj as a good target.

It's not like the Texans are sitting there thinking, "We'll call this play & throw it to this guy."

It doesn't work that way.

I want to think that Pep is calling the same offense Mills was playing when he was at Stafford, but I don't think it is. Terminology may be similar, but it looks like this offense is just as new to Mills as it is to Cooks & the rest of the team.

I hoped promoting Pep from QB coach to OC there would be some continuity & we'd build on what they did last season, but... doesn't look that way. Looks like we're starting over. So maybe Mills can show that improvement we saw last season, only better, being that he's a 2nd year pro.

No reason for us to be optimistic about that, only hope.
I would agree about Mills not seeing OJ but I don't recall Howard being in the game more than for that one completed Target. Can you confirm he was in the game?

Texansballer74

The Marine
I would agree about Mills not seeing OJ but I don't recall Howard being in the game more than for that one completed Target. Can you confirm he was in the game?
He was in the game on that force pass attemp into traffic to Cooks. In the game thread I asked why didn’t Mills throw it to Howard. Especially since he had the mismatch.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
This is a new team. Training camp only does so much. Preseason only allows for so much.

The coaching really hasn’t started until after game 1.

& it’s not just Houston. You saw Indy dealing with it last week. You saw it in New England last week. You saw Denver dealing with it this week. Seattle this week. It’s all over the league.

Most of us didn’t expect 6 wins out of this club. What did you expect to see? This is what a six win team looks like.

Personally I thought the would win more than six games. In December they will be just outside the wildcard race. I’m seeing that same 6 win team but thinking the coaching will get them to 8 wins.
You said we are a new team, but I think you really wanted to say we are an expansion team.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I'd be willing to accept that if not for him showing some impressive performances at the end of last season. And behind a worse line. That doesn't square with what we're seeing now.
Those last 4 games were last season. They were good, but this is a new season and he looks worse. He will not pull the trigger. They're giving him basic football throws and he's airmailing the ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Those last 4 games were last season. They were good, but this is a new season and he looks worse. He will not pull the trigger. They're giving him basic football throws and he's airmailing the ball.
Right. Late last season he was just playing. Now, looks like he's thinking too much. Hopefully they get him settled down in this new system soon. Not that I'm worried about the playoff hunt, but it would be nice to get a couple of wins before the bye week.

Spot on.

Coaching so far is horrible. I don’t understand what Pep is trying to do. You finally got DP going and you only run one play action pass. You’re not taking advantage of the mismatches that are out there.

During those preseason games we seen that defense swarm to the ball. Now these jokers act like they can’t tackle. The linebackers are over pursuing. You’re giving up to many big plays.

Good grief, where’s the discipline? Too many freaking penalties on both sides of the ball.
Im starting to think that Lovie is trying to convince this team that him and his system CAN win, but that they dont WANT to actually win...looks like the tank job is in for better draft picks and then maybe he will put a winning product on the field....

With that being said...if thats the case then Him AND PEP need to go ASAP. What a pathetic and pittiful showing and product they have fielded....the offense sucks and looks like it has no desire to move the ball and the defense is atrocious in the 4th qtr when it matters most.

Texansballer74

The Marine
A player's second year is when they are expected to make the most progress. But we have yet to see Mills make throws he was making last season. (158) Davis Mills | 2021 Rookie Highlights - YouTube

Something about Pep's system is not working.
They have the young man playing scared. And I don’t believe they’re putting the right receivers out there either. Inactive : Dorsett and Johnson. They put Conley on the PS twice, brought him back and now he’s on the active roster. Makes no sense.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Somebody please tell this clueless coach you need more than one quality darn running back. And you need that type of offensive line. Jeeezzz Not only that but to keep up with those explosive teams you have to put up points. Trying to be something you’re clearly not won’t get it done.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Chicago is a very winnable game. They should win this game
It's winnable but unless they get lucky, they aren't winning. Chicago will just run the football down the Texans throat and Mills and company will do their usual slog through the mud and maybe get 10-13 max. It's going to be an ugly game either way.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Somebody please tell this clueless coach you need more than one quality darn running back. And you need that type of offensive line. Jeeezzz Not only that but to keep up with those explosive teams you have to put up points. Trying to be something you’re clearly not won’t get it done.
Is that the coach or the gm?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He was throwing the ball out of bounds last year. Plus teams have film on you as a young player. They know more of what he can and can't do now. Just the evolution of a young player.
Yes,and some don't seem to struggle.

Allen, Herbert, Burrow etc...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Allen did struggle his 2nd year. He struggled badly, even in the playoff game vs Houston. On top of that, you're talking about high end talent guys. I don't think Mills is in their talent category.
Allen didn't struggle to badly that yr. He took his team to the playoffs and should have beaten the Texans on the road.