Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Early impressions - 2022 Texans.

I've been disappointed in Mills play too. But I would like to see him with multiple weapons. Right now the Texans have the worst set of skill position players in the NFL.
What does weapons have to do with Fed Ex-ing the ball out of bounds on the sideline? Week 1 Conley run a simple in cut and Mills throws the ball at the turf. He's not talented enough to miss the simple plays. Some guys can because they can drop dimes down the field. When you have a qb who underthows a for sure td to Cooks off a flea flicker, I mean, what do you need to see?

What does weapons have to do with Fed Ex-ing the ball out of bounds on the sideline? Week 1 Conley run a simple in cut and Mills throws the ball at the turf. He's not talented enough to miss the simple plays. Some guys can because they can drop dimes down the field. When you have a qb who underthows a for sure td to Cooks off a flea flicker, I mean, what do you need to see?
To be fair. Steel is seeing the QB play he's been wanting from Derrick for 4 years.
  1. A QB that stays in the pocket
  2. Regardless of down and distance, a QB that hits the safe, short pass or take the checkdown for 2-3 yards
  3. No hero ball, finger sniffing or hot dog plays
  4. No QB taking off, running, extending plays or drifting to their right
  5. A QB that makes the correct protection calls (NOTE: The center now makes the calls, but Mills get the credit for not making the wrong call)
  6. All those long passes from Derrick are why Fuller's hamstrings were always exploding. With one completion over 20 yards, Mills is not stressing his WRs' hamstrings

To be fair. Steel is seeing the QB play he's been wanting from Derrick for 4 years.
  2. Regardless of down and distance, a QB that hits the safe, short pass or take the checkdown for 2-3 yards
  5. A QB that makes the correct protection calls (NOTE: The center now makes the calls, but Mills get the credit for not making the wrong call)
  6. All those long passes from Derrick are why Fuller's hamstrings were always exploding. With one completion over 20 yards, Mills is not stressing his WRs' hamstrings
Well it’s going to be a long painful season doing it his way. Especially if Mills doesn’t improve.

He was on target with two of those flea flickers last season. And he was accurate with the deep throws last year as well. What’s going on with him so far might a sophomore slump.
On a serious note. I think his footwork might be the source of his accuracy problems. To me, he appears very flat footed in the pocket and not using his lower body on his passes. The passes are sailing on him because he's not stepping into his throws and using all arm. Hopefully, the staff is comparing his mechanics last year to this year.

Simply Mills with more talent around him.

I seem to remember when a pervert was the QB you used to say all QB's miss throws. Now you're changing your tune. It's like you're not willing to give Mills who hasn't even started a full season yet a chance to improve his game.

Reactions: JB
To be fair, I don't think much of Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. & I think steelbtexan is seeing that kind of guy when he sees DW4.

Nothing wrong with that kind of QB if you're going to build your team around that type of guy, including your offensive philosophy.

If Lamar Jackson was far right & Mahomes far left I think DW4 is 3/4 left, where steelbtexan thinks he's 3/4 right.

Davis Mills isn't even on that chart, he's a different animal all together. A type I'd rather see. With Steve McNair being far right & Tom Brady far left, Davis is right in the middle.

Like Lamar & Kyler you have to build a specific type of team around him, including philosophy. Mills looks like he'd be a good WCO QB, but I'm not sure that's the direction Pep is heading

He was on target with two of those flea flickers last season. And he was accurate with the deep throws last year as well. What’s going on with him so far might be a sophomore slump.
Or he's learning a new offense now & second guessing every decision. Hopefully he'll get to the place where he's thinking less & playing fast, sooner rather than later.

On a serious note. I think his footwork might be the source of his accuracy problems. To me, he appears very flat footed in the pocket and not using his lower body on his passes. The passes are sailing on him because he's not stepping into his throws and using all arm. Hopefully, the staff is comparing his mechanics last year to this year.

That’s what I noticed as well Earl. Confidence isn’t there either. He’s not stepping up in the pocket and for some reason Pep isn’t getting him out the pocket on the run. He did that pretty well towards the end of last season.

Peps offense is not as complex as Bill O’Brien’s offense. And they’re suppose to be running a playbook similar to the one he ran at Stanford.
I've heard all that. But Mills is wearing a cheatsheet arm band he didn't wear last season.

BO'bs EP is supposedly QB friendly as in the concepts are developed from the QB perspective.

Most other offenses are built from the OC perspective & plays & routes make as much sense to a QB as it does to a WR. But the WR only needs to know a small part.

Maybe 11 games at Stanford isn't enough for Davis to not need the armband, but I think Pep & Shaw's offense are not that similar.

LOL, not true.

I do like QB's that throw accurately and on time from the pocket and runs as a last resort.

Are you sure it's a cheat sheet and not part of communicating the play call? I've seen similar armbands on Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Tua and Jimmy G.
I don't know if I ever saw Rodgers with one, though I wouldn't be surprised. He did go through an offense change just like Brady did, just like Davis is.

Simply Mills with more talent around him.

I seem to remember when a pervert was the QB you used to say all QB's miss throws. Now you're changing your tune. It's like you're not willing to give Mills who hasn't even started a full season yet a chance to improve his game.
I never said a qb couldn't miss throws, they all do, but he is missing routine, fundemental throws. What is your obsession with Watson. Nobody ever mentioned him. From an on field pov, Mills will never,ever, be as good as Watson, those are just my opinion, but facts led me to the opinion. Point being, from basic,football, a qb shouldn't miss all the easy throws. I mean in todays nfl, he's at 56%. Intodays nfl where wr run over the middle without getting their head taking off. Again, he's not only missing, but the passes aren't even close.

Besides the quarterback and the woeful 3rd down offense efficiency, what else is going on with the Texans? What's good, not so good? I've recorded both games but can't find the time (or patience).

Besides the quarterback and the woeful 3rd down offense efficiency, what else is going on with the Texans? What's good, not so good? I've recorded both games but can't find the time (or patience).
Pierce is a hard runner and might be RB1. Jerry Hughes was dominant in Week1. The OL has not played well, and Quessenberry has replaced Britt at center. The secondary appears much improve. The DL/LBs still can't stop the run and the LBs are mediocre.

I'm anxious to watch DP against the bears D. Should be pretty exciting.

I plan to watch the game two hours behind, so I can fast forward through the bears running roughshod over our defense. & I plan on being drunk before i start

I don't know if I ever saw Rodgers with one, though I wouldn't be surprised. He did go through an offense change just like Brady did, just like Davis is.
Here is an article on Rodgers and the armband. What's interesting is Aikman's comments on the armband.

"One Hall of Famer predicted that Rodgers wasn’t going to be happy with the wristband. “I began wearing a wristband my 10th season and I hated it,” Troy Aikman, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback, said on Fox’s pregame show, “and the reason is you start reading the play as opposed to hearing the in play your head and when you hearing it in your head, you’re walking to the line, you’re visualizing everything that’s going to happen — the blitzes, where are my hots [hot reads], where am I going with the football. The wristband, you just read it and you don’t even start thinking about the play until you get underneath the center. I didn’t like it; I’m not sure Aaron Rodgers likes it, either.”

Aaron Rodgers is wearing a playcalling wristband for the first time his career - The Washington Post

I never said a qb couldn't miss throws, they all do, but he is missing routine, fundemental throws. What is your obsession with Watson. Nobody ever mentioned him. From an on field pov, Mills will never,ever, be as good as Watson, those are just my opinion, but facts led me to the opinion. Point being, from basic,football, a qb shouldn't miss all the easy throws. I mean in todays nfl, he's at 56%. Intodays nfl where wr run over the middle without getting their head taking off. Again, he's not only missing, but the passes aren't even close.
This isn't about Derrick and there's no obsession. It's about you.

This isn't about Derrick and there's no obsession. It's about you.
You brought Watson into the conversation, not me unless I can't read or comprehend. Every criticism of Mills you bring up Watson, not me. Every qb conversation with you, Watson gets thrown into it with your obsession. No matter what weapons a qb has or don't, you can't be air mailing balls over the wrs head. He's not a play maker type so he has to be accurate with the simple plays and execute them. Plain and simple. Last year or last 4 games were last season, not this season. So far, he's struggling , hopefully he snaps out of it, we don't know yet.

Here is an article on Rodgers and the armband. What's interesting is Aikman's comments on the armband.

"One Hall of Famer predicted that Rodgers wasn’t going to be happy with the wristband. “I began wearing a wristband my 10th season and I hated it,” Troy Aikman, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback, said on Fox’s pregame show, “and the reason is you start reading the play as opposed to hearing the in play your head and when you hearing it in your head, you’re walking to the line, you’re visualizing everything that’s going to happen — the blitzes, where are my hots [hot reads], where am I going with the football. The wristband, you just read it and you don’t even start thinking about the play until you get underneath the center. I didn’t like it; I’m not sure Aaron Rodgers likes it, either.”

Aaron Rodgers is wearing a playcalling wristband for the first time his career - The Washington Post
So what are you saying Earl?

He is wearing a play-calling, cheat-sheet wristband on his left arm for the Green Bay Packers’ home opener against the Minnesota Vikings. It’s speed-dating for football, a way to speed up the process of adapting to the offense and calls in first-year Coach Matt LaFleur.

So what are you saying Earl?

LOL. Why didn't you highlight the entire sentence that started with " It’s speed-dating for football, a way to speed up the process" ? That Rodgers' article is from 2018. In 2022, he is still wearing the wristband. Do you think he's still learning the offense? Brady wore one during his entire career with the Patriots.

My point is the wristband can serve multiple purposes and not just a cheat sheet for someone learning an offense. It can be a communication tool and does not always have a negative connotation. Maybe I should have posted this Brady article instead of the one about Rodgers. However, I wanted to highlight Aikman's comments and how it pertains to Mills maybe over thinking instead of visualizing the plays.

For example, Brady knew the Patriots offense and still wore a wristband. Here is Brady's Patriots wristband. When you look at the plays. Isn't it easier for the OC to say 45 and the QB look at play 45 on the wristband instead of the OC in a loud stadium calling out "G BROWN RT 74 HOSS X FOLLOW" in the QB's headset?

Tom Brady’s play-call wristband is proof NFL QBs have the hardest job in sports | For The Win (usatoday.com)

1664077233687.png

To be fair, I don't think much of Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. & I think steelbtexan is seeing that kind of guy when he sees DW4.

Nothing wrong with that kind of QB if you're going to build your team around that type of guy, including your offensive philosophy.

If Lamar Jackson was far right & Mahomes far left I think DW4 is 3/4 left, where steelbtexan thinks he's 3/4 right.

Davis Mills isn't even on that chart, he's a different animal all together. A type I'd rather see. With Steve McNair being far right & Tom Brady far left, Davis is right in the middle.

Like Lamar & Kyler you have to build a specific type of team around him, including philosophy. Mills looks like he'd be a good WCO QB, but I'm not sure that's the direction Pep is heading
Pep is from Harbaugh which means he's basically wco. Smith had his best years under Harbaugh, then Kaep

You brought Watson into the conversation, not me unless I can't read or comprehend. Every criticism of Mills you bring up Watson, not me. Every qb conversation with you, Watson gets thrown into it with your obsession. No matter what weapons a qb has or don't, you can't be air mailing balls over the wrs head. He's not a play maker type so he has to be accurate with the simple plays and execute them. Plain and simple. Last year or last 4 games were last season, not this season. So far, he's struggling , hopefully he snaps out of it, we don't know yet.

I just pointed out the way you were about one and the way you were about the other.

Having a a jammed thumb could've had something to do with his inaccuracy. Maybe/maybe not time will tell.

I just pointed out the way you were about one and the way you were about the other.

Having a a jammed thumb could've had something to do with his inaccuracy. Maybe/maybe not time will tell.
I never changed my view or stance about qbs missing throws. There are level of throws that are very,very difficult, no doubt. My limited criticism of the throws Mills has missed were just basic throws. The ones where he didn't even give the wr a chance are very concerning. I said before, the one to Cooks wasn't a great throw, but it was good enough. I've outlined the ones that are far more concerning than the misfire to Cooks. Then the completion % which doesn't equate to accuracy, but you can't be at 56% in todays nfl.

sheet for someone learning an offense. It can be a communication tool and does not always have a negative connotation
I’m just throwing out possibilities for why Mills is off. He was accurate last year. QBs don’t generally become inaccurate. His ball placement was very good. Again, not the kind of thing that normally regresses.

I’m not inferring a negative connotation. Saying a man is learning a new offense isn’t negative if he’s learning a new offense
Isn't it easier for the OC to say 45 and the QB look at play 45 on the wristband instead of the OC in a loud stadium calling out "G BROWN RT 74 HOSS X FOLLOW" in the QB's headset?
you’d think, but Aikman had issues with it, so who knows?

LOL. Why didn't you highlight the entire sentence that started with " It’s speed-dating for football, a way to speed up the process" ? That Rodgers' article is from 2018. In 2022, he is still wearing the wristband. Do you think he's still learning the offense? Brady wore one during his entire career with the Patriots.

My point is the wristband can serve multiple purposes and not just a cheat sheet for someone learning an offense. It can be a communication tool and does not always have a negative connotation. Maybe I should have posted this Brady article instead of the one about Rodgers. However, I wanted to highlight Aikman's comments and how it pertains to Mills maybe over thinking instead of visualizing the plays.

For example, Brady knew the Patriots offense and still wore a wristband. Here is Brady's Patriots wristband. When you look at the plays. Isn't it easier for the OC to say 45 and the QB look at play 45 on the wristband instead of the OC in a loud stadium calling out "G BROWN RT 74 HOSS X FOLLOW" in the QB's headset?

Tom Brady’s play-call wristband is proof NFL QBs have the hardest job in sports | For The Win (usatoday.com)

View attachment 10729

If there was such a thing as a flood shark Houston would be in some serious sh!t.

I’m just throwing out possibilities for why Mills is off. He was accurate last year. QBs don’t generally become inaccurate. His ball placement was very good. Again, not the kind of thing that normally regresses.

I’m not inferring a negative connotation. Saying a man is learning a new offense isn’t negative if he’s learning a new offense

you’d think, but Aikman had issues with it, so who knows?

Maybe 11 games at Stanford isn't enough for Davis to not need the armband, but I think Pep & Shaw's offense are not that similar.

I actually posted the Aikman quote to support your possibility that Mills is over thinking. In fact, the only part of your post I disagreed with is that Mills wouldn't need the armband if he had more than 11 games. My point was regardless of experience, the armband is being used as a communication tool.

None of your latest post addresses my comment at all. Didn't mean to upset you old timer. I am very familiar with Austin and 6th street and the surrounding hill country
Sorry. I should have endorsed your typical snide remarks that don’t address posts.

Texans lack offensive aggression. Pep is trying to mollycoddle Mills when he should be pushing him to grow and learn.
And we definitely lack real firepower. A #1 WR must be high on their shopping list.
They are also in serious need of a difference maker on both lines.
Still plenty of rebuilding to do.

My overall grades so far -

Offense: D-
Defense: C
Special Teams: A
Coaching: D+ (shout out to Frank Ross, who is worth a letter grade)

A few key young players/rooks -
Mills: F
Stingley: C
Pierce: B
Pitre: A-
Green: B

Pretty spot on. I agree 100%

Pretty spot on. I agree 100%

My grades

Offense- C-
Defense- D, nobody should be able to run on them like that.
ST's -A
Coaching- D

Mills- D+
Pierce- B, would've been higher without the fumbles.
Pitre- A+, a star in the making
Green- B+ already a man in his 2nd start. 2nd best OL on the team already.

QB- D+
RB- Burkhead brings this grade down
WR's C-, the playmakers other teams fear simply aren't there.
TE's- D- Pharoh ran the wrong route on the int to Cooks, putting another defender in the area that helped cause the int.
OL- B, Solid job, only allowed 1 sack and run blocking was really good. Wish Howard wouldn't have missed that block after the Pitre int with the ball on the Bears 39. A 1st down and FG meant likely ballgame.

Back