Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Earl Campbell finally pays a visit to the Titans

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Just nutz that the McNairs havent brought him and others aboard
Yep, for me personally that’s been a big turn off for me with the Texans. Earl was supporting the Texans early on. I saw an interview with him wearing a Texans polo shirt talking about how he was following the Texans.

The only thing I remember the Texans doing was bringing out Bum before the first playoff game. Apart from that I can’t think of anything they have done to embrace the history of the NFL in Houston.

I feel bad for the Oilers alumni. Dan Pastorini recently mentioned how they feel like they don’t have a home.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I remember him saying that he would never go out there. I guess being snubbed by the Texans all these years finally gave him a change of heart.

https://www.titansonline.com/news/oilers-great-earl-campbell-pays-visit-to-titans
I'm not gonna' lie, happy for Earl to get any love, but arghh, from the Titans??

Just nutz that the McNairs havent brought him and others aboard
grrrr. . .I know McNair has "roots" here, but this snub of Oilers greats gives them a carpetbaggers feel.

They do not embrace Houston's football past, feel no need to placate customers (errr, fans) in that regard, and the fact that we do not have any sort of tribute by our current NFL team for Houston's past players just makes it that much harder to feel any sort of endearment to this entertainment franchise.

I guess the suites in the corporate boardroom perceived no marketing angle worthy of any effort, so they celebrate superficial crap like "consecutive sellouts" and waiting lists for season tickets.

Alright, rant over, go Texans and all that jazz. :texflag:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm not gonna' lie, happy for Earl to get any love, but arghh, from the Titans??

grrrr. . .I know McNair has "roots" here, but this snub of Oilers greats gives them a carpetbaggers feel.

They do not embrace Houston's football past, feel no need to placate customers (errr, fans) in that regard, and the fact that we do not have any sort of tribute by our current NFL team for Houston's past players just makes it that much harder to feel any sort of endearment to this entertainment franchise.

I guess the suites in the corporate boardroom perceived no marketing angle worthy of any effort, so they celebrate superficial crap like "consecutive sellouts" and waiting lists for season tickets.

I think part of that is the Titans claiming Oiler history, which is a travesty and a crime

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
True, that’s officially how it is. However, that didn’t stop the Ravens from putting a statue of Johnny Unitas outside of their stadium and honoring other Baltimore Colts players.
The Ravens allowed Cleveland to keep the Browns history and then claimed the Colts history which Indy ignored

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think part of that is the Titans claiming Oiler history, which is a travesty and a crime
Yeah, there's certainly that part of it, but the Texans have had events where old Oilers players were there signing autographs. They used to have that annual "All Access" event for season ticket holders in the off-season. I remember seeing Haywood Jeffires there among a couple of others.

That was in the early days of the Texans, though. Since then, I think their attitude is to just ignore Houston's football history and market the Texans. I get it from a capitalistic perspective, but as a lifelong Houston fan, I'd still appreciate any love toward the players themselves. It would certainly be an act of goodwill.

Titans fans know jack about Earl. He was OUR Texas born hero. He carried Luv Ya Blue. He was an integral part of building a tradition that the McNairs eventually got to reap the rewards from.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Yeah, there's certainly that part of it, but the Texans have had events where old Oilers players were there signing autographs. They used to have that annual "All Access" event for season ticket holders in the off-season. I remember seeing Haywood Jeffires there among a couple of others.

That was in the early days of the Texans, though. Since then, I think their attitude is to just ignore Houston's football history and market the Texans. I get it from a capitalistic perspective, but as a lifelong Houston fan, I'd still appreciate any love toward the players themselves. It would certainly be an act of goodwill.

Titans fans know jack about Earl. He was OUR Texas born hero. He carried Luv Ya Blue. He was an integral part of building a tradition that the McNairs eventually got to reap the rewards from.
I remember running into Haywood Jeffires in the parking lot during a tailgate. I asked him if we were a fan of the Texans, he pretty much said no and that he doesn't even follow the NFL anymore.

As for the Texans doing anything with the Oilers, it feels like there is some arrogance there like "We're the Texans, screw the Oilers and their history, we're making our own history.".

This whole thing with Earl would have really bothered me years ago, however not now. I'm so over it. I had the pleasure of having lunch with him in Austin a number of years ago. He's a really good dude. I am just glad that he's getting out and enjoying himself. If he feels love from the Titans organization then I am happy for him and glad that someone is doing it.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Not really. That IS that franchise. I think it's kind of silly that all the Ravens records stayed in Cleveland and that the Ravens are treated more like the expansion franchise than the Browns. I mean, Jim Brown played for the franchise that is in Baltimore, not the one currently in Cleveland. Should the Browns franchise go ahead and add the Rams records to their own too? Cleveland got no love for Adam Walsh bringing them their 1st NFL championship?

Yeah, it sucks that the old Oiler players feel they don't have a home, but Bud created that mess, not the McNair's. The McNair's could of, probably should have, adopted those guys, but they're really under no obligation to do so.

Anyway, sad that Earl has to go to Hicksville to get recognition, but that is the franchise he played for. And it sucks for me that I don't get to cheer on who I still think is the greatest RB I've ever seen play. It also sucks that the McNair's don't embrace our city's past for those of us who remember/lived it, like we embraced them when they first got here.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Not really. That IS that franchise. I think it's kind of silly that all the Ravens records stayed in Cleveland and that the Ravens are treated more like the expansion franchise than the Browns. I mean, Jim Brown played for the franchise that is in Baltimore, not the one currently in Cleveland. Should the Browns franchise go ahead and add the Rams records to their own too? Cleveland got no love for Adam Walsh bringing them their 1st NFL championship?

Yeah, it sucks that the old Oiler players feel they don't have a home, but Bud created that mess, not the McNair's. The McNair's could of, probably should have, adopted those guys, but they're really under no obligation to do so.

Anyway, sad that Earl has to go to Hicksville to get recognition, but that is the franchise he played for. And it sucks for me that I don't get to cheer on who I still think is the greatest RB I've ever seen play. It also sucks that the McNair's don't embrace our city's past for those of us who remember/lived it, like we embraced them when they first got here.
Yup, that's kinda the whole thing with breakups sucking.

The kids, the mortgage, the dog, our friends, family.

There's no mandate that it be orderly or ideal.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I've mentioned several times that one of the coolest things the Texans could do is create a throwback uniform inspired by the Oilers team colors.

I would go with the original silver helmets and pants with the later Columbia Blue and Battle Red. Then as one more duck you to the Adams Family, I'd invite all surviving Oilers players to the game and honor them.

I could only imagine what kind of sales they could generate with this type of throwback and as much as we can all agree on the McNair's like money this should be a no brainer since it would further their coffers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Great Post

A man that gets it.

The McNairs dont need to celebrate the past because they make BILLIONS without having to do so. I've been roasted for calling Bob a Carpetbagger, but this is just another case that should show fans what the Texans org is really all about.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I've mentioned several times that one of the coolest things the Texans could do is create a throwback uniform inspired by the Oilers team colors.

I would go with the original silver helmets and pants with the later Columbia Blue and Battle Red. Then as one more duck you to the Adams Family, I'd invite all surviving Oilers players to the game and honor them.

I could only imagine what kind of sales they could generate with this type of throwback and as much as we can all agree on the McNair's like money this should be a no brainer since it would further their coffers.
Agree but unfortunately current NFL rules would prevent that. It’s why the Bucs can no longer do the creamcicle games anymore. Those were very popular here.

It has to do with not being able to switch the helmet shell. The only teams that can do throwbacks now are the ones that don’t need to change the color of the helmet.

Besides, the Texans would never do it for reasons mentioned here.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Agree but unfortunately current NFL rules would prevent that. It’s why the Bucs can no longer do the creamcicle games anymore. Those were very popular here.

It has to do with not being able to switch the helmet shell. The only teams that can do throwbacks now are the ones that don’t need to change the color of the helmet.

Did you watch the Packers game last week?

Regarding the Texans wearing Oilers colors, couldn’t disagree more. The Texans are not the Oilers. The Oilers are still an active franchise in the NFL. I get the nostalgia, but it ain’t coming back. Nor should it, unless that team moved back to Houston.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Loved the creamcicle look. The Bucs/Chargers throwbacks prove that the new jersey's are downgrades.

I learned something here, Helmets? What a stupid reason to not where the throwbacks. God'ell's NFL sucks.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Did you watch the Packers game last week?
No, were they wearing throwbacks? If so I bet the helmets were still yellow. The rule is that you can’t change the shell of the helmet. That’s why the Bucs can no longer do throwbacks because the pewter helmet won’t work with the creamcicle uniform, it must be white.

BTW Steel, I agree. I became a Bucs fan as a kid because of those uniforms. Now that I live here and go to games I normally wear the creamsicle colors.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
No, were they wearing throwbacks? If so I bet the helmets were still yellow. The rule is that you can’t change the shell of the helmet. That’s why the Bucs can no longer do throwbacks because the pewter helmet won’t work with the creamcicle uniform, it must be white.
Ah, yes they were yellow. The Bears also had throwbacks recently with orange stripes on their helmets, but they were on their dark helmets. I guess they just scrape the logos off, add whatever, as long as the helmet is the same color?

I know the Rams alternate the white horns and the gold horns.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Ah, yes they were yellow. The Bears also had throwbacks recently with orange stripes on their helmets, but they were on their dark helmets. I guess they just scrape the logos off, add whatever, as long as the helmet is the same color?

It's not about the helmet color. It's about the helmet shell for safety.

The thinking, coming from some advisory panels, is that a freshly worn helmet isn't as safe as one that been 'broken in'.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

Yep, they just change the decals around. Sadly, until they change that stupid rule we’ll never see the 2 best throwbacks again, the Bucs and Pats.

Reactions: JB

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

The thinking, coming from some advisory panels, is that a freshly worn helmet isn't as safe as one that been 'broken in'.
That’s so ridiculous. It’s obviously not an issue in college. If so there would be a ton of Oregon players with head trauma. They change helmets several times a season.

There’s got to be a way to change the helmet color without changing the shell. Maybe come up with a shrink wrap or decal that covers the entire helmet. I know the throwback games are popular and are money makers. The Bucs still sell a lot of Bucco Bruce and creamsicle items in the stadium. They sell it because the fans want that stuff.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
That’s so ridiculous. It’s obviously not an issue in college. If so there would be a ton of Oregon players with head trauma. They change helmets several times a season.

There’s got to be a way to change the helmet color without changing the shell. Maybe come up with a shrink wrap or decal that covers the entire helmet. I know the throwback games are popular and are money makers. The Bucs still sell a lot of Bucco Bruce and creamsicle items in the stadium. They sell it because the fans want that stuff.
For all of the ways the NCAA and NFL work together they aren't always in lock step on every single issue.

Also the NCAA hasn't been sued by former participants for badillions of dollars relating to head trauma.

But I'm with you on thinking they can find a way to make the helmets look entirely different without changing the shell. Men on the moon and all that..

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Would seem to me that "new" is better than 'broken in'

Like a car?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
For all of the ways the NCAA and NFL work together they aren't always in lock step on every single issue.

Also the NCAA hasn't been sued by former participants for badillions of dollars relating to head trauma.

But I'm with you on thinking they can find a way to make the helmets look entirely different without changing the shell. Men on the moon and all that..
I never heard of "badillions" before

OptimisticTexan

I guess the NFL, team owners and equipment managers have never heard of wraps. Could wrap helmets all day and everyday with a new look that doesn't affect the shell. Just wow......what a concept and/or novel idea.....ooozzzing sarcasm intended.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It’s why the Bucs can no longer do the creamcicle games anymore.
Speaking of those creamcicle Bucs, I'd like to send out a belated thank you. There would not have been a Luv Ya Blue era without the trade of the #1 overall pick from the Bucs to the Oilers. The Bucs had taken Ricky Bell #1 overall the year prior and were looking for a franchise QB (they took Doug Williams at #17).

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Speaking of those creamcicle Bucs, I'd like to send out a belated thank you. There would not have been a Luv Ya Blue era without the trade of the #1 overall pick from the Bucs to the Oilers. The Bucs had taken Ricky Bell #1 overall the year prior and were looking for a franchise QB (they took Doug Williams at #17).

Awesome for you bringing that up. Those were my two favorite teams since around that time. Earl Campbell and Doug Williams were my two favorite players. The first two jerseys I ever owned were those two. I still remember buying the Earl jersey from Sears in Pasadena and having to special order the Williams jersey from the Sears catalog because back then that was the only way to buy out of state NFL merchandise. I was probably 10 years old.

Ricky Bell was great but unfortunately was ill. Doug Williams put the Bucs on the map and the franchise took years to recover after letting him go to the USFL.

Earl of course put the Oilers on the map. Had the Bucs taken Earl who knows what would have become of both franchises. For sure the Luv Ya Blue era would have never happened. Not sure who would have played QB but the Bucs with Earl might have been a force. Their D was loaded back then.

Scooter

Funky
I'm already sideways, so take this post as such (probably about to say something stupid), but I've always taken issue with Oiler/Titan/Texan. The Titans inherited a chunk of Oilers, and claimed some famous names as well - that's fine. They get claim to the name and colors and stats - fine. Where I get weird is the older folks and WHERE. Put Earl in a lime green jump suit for all I care, what colors he's wearing don't matter in the least, he and so many others did their work in my hometown and should be honored and respected as representatives of my hometown. The iconic image of Earl on the back of a HPD cruiser was in blue jeans to a stadium of Houstonians - no oil derrick, no powder blue - just a bearded badass. THAT is the image and legacy that should carry for all HOUSTON football players. I'm not as old as many folks around here, but I'm grey enough to be 'back in my day', and I couldn't give half a isht about Oiler/Titan/Texan ... but the PLAYERS that shaped my childhood and had nothing to do with another city ... claim them, those are "our people" same as Houstonians have claimed the Texans and their players as "our people".

mws

Rookie
I'm curious if in the modern era any other teams have changed their names when they moved.

The Ravens don't count because the legal actions by the city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders led the NFL to broker a compromise that saw the Browns franchise, history, records, and intellectual property remain in Cleveland.

I know the Colts, Raiders, Rams, & Chargers all kept their names. I can't really think of anyone who has changed their name like the Titans did.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'm curious if in the modern era any other teams have changed their names when they moved.

The Ravens don't count because the legal actions by the city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders led the NFL to broker a compromise that saw the Browns franchise, history, records, and intellectual property remain in Cleveland.

I know the Colts, Raiders, Rams, & Chargers all kept their names. I can't really think of anyone who has changed their name like the Titans did.
The franchise was the Tennessee Oilers for 2 seasons. They became the Titans when the new stadium in Nashville opened. They needed the permission of the Jets, who were the Titans from 1960-1962.

The only other name related change I can think of was in the AFL, when the Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs (1963).

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The franchise was the Tennessee Oilers for 2 seasons. They became the Titans when the new stadium in Nashville opened. They needed the permission of the Jets, who were the Titans from 1960-1962.

The only other name related change I can think of was in the AFL, when the Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs (1963).
IIRC, they wanted to identify with Tennessee, which Oilers clearly doesn't

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
IIRC, they wanted to identify with Tennessee, which Oilers clearly doesn't
Bud didn't want to change it but the city put pressure on him to do so. They convinced him that the fans would not get on board as long as the name remained Oilers.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've talked with Tennessee fans about this before, and most of them wish that Bud had started a new franchise with their own records. They have no connection at all to their franchise's all time passing leader (Warren Moon), or all time receiving leader (Earnest Givins). They are just names, and watching old highlight reels means absolutely nothing to them. Ray Childress is their franchise sack leader. "Never heard of him."

And I like to remind them that while we have the memory, their franchise is stained with that most distinguishing of records: greatest choke in the 100 year history of the league. Yeah, I like to poke the bear. :D

But in the end, it is what it is. We've got our corporate glossy team, and they have their team with all the baggage. The Oilers have been dead for decades, and once all the old players are gone, it'll just be names and numbers in a database.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I'm sure it's a tough position for the Texans but how can they be do tone deaf to their fans. Like many Texans fans, we revere the Oilers and the players and can separate the Oilers from the titans. I would have been cool if the Texans had the stones to honor Houston football greats instead of considering them Oiler/Titan greats.

What the bleep does some goober in Nashville know about Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Ray Childress, or Drew Hill?

Just feels wrong. There were our (Houston's) guys.

OptimisticTexan

I'm sure it's a tough position for the Texans but how can they be do tone deaf to their fans. Like many Texans fans, we revere the Oilers and the players and can separate the Oilers from the titans. I would have been cool if the Texans had the stones to honor Houston football greats instead of considering them Oiler/Titan greats.

What the bleep does some goober in Nashville know about Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, Ray Childress, or Drew Hill?

Just feels wrong. There were our (Houston's) guys.
Correct.....the Adams Family wanted nothing to do with Houston when they shut down shop and moved to Nashville. They didn't even want the Oilers name and willfully dropped it to give Nashville fans their own team. Then the duckers held onto the colors and name so it could never be used again in Houston.

So yes.....Texans should honor those players from the Oilers and let them choose the team they want to be affiliated with. I think the majority of Oilers players would be happy to be honored by the Texans. One last hurdle though.......a throwback uniform that honors the colors for football fans in Houston.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
As long as the Titans lose after a visit from 34, I hope he visits them every week

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Theme song said they were from 'the hills of Tennessee'
Here are the lyrics

Opening song

Come and listen to my story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
And then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground come a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
The kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

The Beverly Hillbillies

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/beverlyhillbillieslyrics.html
Closing song

Well now it's time to say good bye to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back next week to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillbilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/beverlyhillbillieslyrics.html

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Correct.....the Adams Family wanted nothing to do with Houston when they shut down shop and moved to Nashville. They didn't even want the Oilers name and willfully dropped it to give Nashville fans their own team. Then the duckers held onto the colors and name so it could never be used again in Houston.

So yes.....Texans should honor those players from the Oilers and let them choose the team they want to be affiliated with. I think the majority of Oilers players would be happy to be honored by the Texans. One last hurdle though.......a throwback uniform that honors the colors for football fans in Houston.
That's an unjumpable hurdle. The Oilers just this year said absolutely not to that happening.

OptimisticTexan

That's an unjumpable hurdle. The Oilers just this year said absolutely not to that happening.
What prompted them to make this statement? I'm just curious b/c that kind of statement would indicate the McNair's may have inquired about the possibilities. McNair's could probably push the NFL to intervene on this issue since the Titans no longer honor the colors (throwback uni's) or the name.....so what are they holding on to?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
What prompted them to make this statement? I'm just curious b/c that kind of statement would indicate the McNair's may have inquired about the possibilities. McNair's could probably push the NFL to intervene on this issue since the Titans no longer honor the colors (throwback uni's) or the name.....so what are they holding on to?
The Houston Texans Don’t Have the Rights to Wear Oilers Throwback Jerseys. But They Should.
Last week, the NFL’s Instagram account wished Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt a happy birthday, and he responded with a wish. “Gift idea hint: Get the Titans to give us the rights to the Houston Oilers throwback uniforms,” he wrote. Wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, similarly inspired, shared his own fantasy of wearing the Oilers’ blue and white. An online poll by KHOU found that 89 percent of its readers would like to see it happen. Teams regularly don throwbacks to honor their pasts, and the football past of Houston includes the Oilers.

It won’t happen. Amy Adams Strunk—daughter of Bud Adams, the man who founded the Oilers in 1960 and moved them to Nashville in 1997—told Titans beat reporter Paul Kuharsky that the prospect of the Texans playing in Oilers uniforms wasn’t even up for discussion. “Very interesting, except the Oilers don’t have anything to do with the Texans,” she said. “So that’s a hard no.”
They're holding onto the Oilers' history merely for spite.

And the league can't make the Adams' do squat with it.

OptimisticTexan

The Houston Texans Don’t Have the Rights to Wear Oilers Throwback Jerseys. But They Should.

They're holding onto the Oilers' history merely for spite.

And the league can't make the Adams' do squat with it.
They're legally within their right to block the Texans from using the retired Oilers uniforms or logos for a Throwback Uniform game.

If the Texans incorporated a Columbia Blue, Battle Red, White or Silver option on their current uniforms as an optional uniform then I don't think there'd be anything the Adams Family could do to block this move.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Yep, for me personally that’s been a big turn off for me with the Texans. Earl was supporting the Texans early on. I saw an interview with him wearing a Texans polo shirt talking about how he was following the Texans.

The only thing I remember the Texans doing was bringing out Bum before the first playoff game. Apart from that I can’t think of anything they have done to embrace the history of the NFL in Houston.

I feel bad for the Oilers alumni. Dan Pastorini recently mentioned how they feel like they don’t have a home.

Damn that sucks to hear. Bad Texans management on that.

Earl and Hakeem have been this city's biggest two sports heroes for so long now. Watt, Johnson, and some of the Astros players are getting on their levels now, but Earl is on this city's Mt. Rushmore and pretty much the grandfather of it. I had no idea this was happening. Shame on the Texans.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
They're legally within their right to block the Texans from using their uniforms or logos for a Throwback Uniform game.

If the Texans incorporated a Columbia Blue, Battle Red, White or Silver option on their current uniforms as an optional uniform then I don't think there'd be anything the Adams Family could do to block this move.
I'm pretty certain they could argue, and win, that it's a clear move on the likeness of the Oilers.

I know you want this to be a thing, but honestly the Adams' hold all the cards here.

If anything can happen it's on the McNair's to try and work a deal financially to have some kind of usage rights to the uniforms/logos or likenesses. And they aren't going to do that because they don't give a sh*t to do that.

It ain't happenin' dude.