Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Poor draft value management on Smith, this guy could have been taken lower as he is not a fit for most NFL offenses.

We know he can coach, but I don't know how many O-lineman Gibbs has drafted?

I guess we'll never know, but I hate the idea of Arkansas Jerry & the Arlington County Criminals stepping in ahead of us on CB Jenkins.

We'll see if Brown works out....I'm fairly optimistic at this point he won't bust. Also, didn't McClain highlight Brown a while back as the pick?

An aside: getting tired of hearing Charlie Casserly taking full credit for Mario when we know Mr. McNair took Bush's name off the table (character) and Kubiak nixed Vince.

I have to disagee, he was not picked to play in MOST nfl offenses he was targeted for the Zone Scheme which he is thought to be a good fit for. He was the next highest rated tackle on ther board when we drafted, and considering we have no second round pick there was not chance to wait for a later oppurtunity. The way teams were trading today it was possible to have someone jump up and grab him while we were screwing around with a second trade.

I'm behind Smith and Kubes. Both were the guys I wanted from the begining, but that doesn't mean I don't question some of thier decisions. Your right, these guys may know more then every person on this board, but they don't know more then every person out there.

Rivals had him ranked as the 12 best OT. SI had him graded out as a 3.78 out of 6 points, which means First Year Contributer. Jeff Otah (4.12), Rashad Mendenhall (4.2) and Sam Baker (3.8) could all have been had at 17 and were considered to be Quality Prospects. Scout.com ranked Duane as the 16th best tackle with 2 out of 5 stars. And, FootballsFutures.com ranks him as the 10th best tackle.

With all the internet research I've done on this guy tonight, nobody had this guy as a first round talent. So basically, what did we end up with from today. Three 3rd round draft pick in the 2008 draft instead of a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

Kind of like the 2 minute offense last year, Kubes buckled under pressure.

We'll need to do better then this if we are going to contend in this league. Right now we did nothing to change our 8-8 record.

Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

Duane, welcome to Houston...I wish you the best.

In kubiak and smith we trust.

Again, I was pissed, and overreacted. I got over it.

Kevin Smith and Charles Godfrey *crosses fingers*

And I cannot believe Early Doucet is still available.

I'd take Choice or Smith. Don't know much about Godfrey.

I don't think Kevin Smith will be there for us.

I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.

A second assessment that says to me, this is Gibbs' type of tackle. I doubt he replaces Salaam from day one, in his rookie year, but this could well be the anchor of our line for years to come.

Sorry we didn't pick the hyped-up RB for you guys easily distracted by shiny things. But I'm thinking we've got our line of the future right now.

By the end of the season don't be surprised to see this lineup....
Brown, Frye, Chris Myers, Big Nasty, Winston.

Allright, allright.

I was pissed off at first. Overreacted. Thought they reached. But after I watched the interviews, I really believe this was their guy. And if so, and they got extra picks, Awesome. They've done good in the past, and i overreacted, and I'm now behind it.

Its all good thats why the draft has turned into a fan event! Just remember most everyone on here loves the Texans like you do and just because we have different opinions does not me we arent all after the same thing, a Texans Superbowl win. Heres hoping tomorrow gives us all picks we like!

Allright, allright.

Shoot, you have the right to get angry about it--I didn't think poorly of you for being so vocal about your displeasure.

IMO, if we went Mendenhall this year...we'd be going OL in 1st round of next year's draft. It's a deal of saying "which do we need FIRST?" and I guess Kubiak is determined to give Gibbs what he wants. Apparently, Gibbs got insode Kubiak's head and said to him "Uh, why don't we stop the madness on the defensive picks and let's start building an oline here, ok?" And Kubiak nodded.

Hopefully it's what it's deemed to be. Hopefully.

A second assessment that says to me, this is Gibbs' type of tackle. I doubt he replaces Salaam from day one, in his rookie year, but this could well be the anchor of our line for years to come.

Sorry we didn't pick the hyped-up RB for you guys easily distracted by shiny things. But I'm thinking we've got our line of the future right now.

By the end of the season don't be surprised to see this lineup....
Brown, Frye, Chris Myers, Big Nasty, Winston.

From ESPN:

http://.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/round?round=1&draftyear=2008

How he fits: Brown is better than either Ephraim Salaam or Jordan Black at left tackle. This was a need for them because the Texans struggled to produce in the running game last year. The Texans are set at right tackle with Eric Winston and improved the interior with the trade for Chris Myers. The Texans play in a tough division and in order for this team to get better, they need to bolster the offensive line and Brown does that.

Build our offensive and defensive lines first. I think this will be a great pick. A solid O-Line can make most NFL running backs look great......a poor O-Line will make that same running back look terrible ( Edgerrin James ). Forget Mendenhall and the other running backs. YOU CANNOT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT DOMINANCE IN THE TRENCHES!!

With all the internet research I've done on this guy tonight, nobody had this guy as a first round talent. So basically, what did we end up with from today. Three 3rd round draft pick in the 2008 draft instead of a 1st and a 3rd round pick.

My surprise pick of round one. The Niners have a ton of needs but they are going to be looking for an offensive lineman very early and I've been told that Brown is a strong possibility for them, either here or at #39. If they don't grab him in round one I don't think he'd make it to their next pick and they probably realize that too, which is why they pull the trigger here. A former tight end, Brown is a fantastic athlete with experience at both left and right tackle and in the last month before the draft he has been flying up draft boards all around the league. I am out on a limb with this one...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft2.html

Scott from NFLDC has him going to #29 slot in his final mock. I consider NFLDC the best draft site and trust Scott judgements.

I admit, from reading Duane Brown scouting reports, that I wouldn't consider him a 1st round pick. I mean they said he was similar to Brandon Frye, a 5th round pick, so I am sort of worry that he won't pan out. But so far Smith/Kubiak haven't done anything to make me question their decisions.

...he was not picked to play in MOST nfl offenses he was targeted for the Zone Scheme....considering we have no second round pick...
You miss the point. The fact that he's a zone guy is the reason there are fewer teams interested in him. Less teams interested in him means lower draft value, which means he falls past most spots. With Denver taking an LT first round, that's one more team out of the running. Similar to Otah not being a zone scheme player, but there are more teams that can plug him into their schemes.

The second round pick comes with trading down and picking up another 4th or 3rd round pick. Drop down another 10/12 picks, add a prospect.

Not a huge deal, but there was value there that was not realized.

Found Kubiak, Smith, and McNair's thoughts VERY intersting.

Recap of what went on:
McNair- Brown is very athletic and a solid HEALTHY player, not all the LT's they looked at were this healthy. (hints of Williams?)

Kubiak/Smith- Gibbs was nonstop talking/gooing over Brown for the past 6 weeks, perfect player for us, they WERE targeting HIM. discussions throughout the day with Baltimore and called them leading up to our #18 (I assume right after Albert was taken). Sounds like Kubiak/Gibbs really wanted Brown but Smith was pushing the trade down for him. Traded down, everybody nervous... Brown was available for us and Kubiak was extatic. We got a call with 1 minute left on the clock (at #26) and Kubiak said "don't answer that phone", Smith got an offer to move down some more and he respectfully declined the offer.
I'm really excited.

You miss the point. The fact that he's a zone guy is the reason there are fewer teams interested in him. Less teams interested in him means lower draft value, which means he falls past most spots. With Denver taking an LT first round, that's one more team out of the running. Similar to Otah not being a zone scheme player, but there are more teams that can plug him into their schemes.

The second round pick comes with trading down and picking up another 4th or 3rd round pick. Drop down another 10/12 picks, add a prospect.

Not a huge deal, but there was value there that was not realized.

A former tight end, Brown is a fantastic athlete with experience at both left and right tackle and in the last month before the draft he has been flying up draft boards all around the league. I am out on a limb with this one...

from the post above yours.

He was already consider a 2nd round prospect that was moving up the draft boards, and was actually in some mock draft this past week going in the late 20s.

btw, if this draft wasn't so stocked with LT, where do you think DB76 would be ranked? Let's say if Williams, Otah, and Cherilus wasn't in the draft. I think he might of been consensus 1st round, with people having him go in the top 25.

Found Kubiak, Smith, and McNair's thoughts VERY intersting.

Recap of what went on:
McNair- Brown is very athletic and a solid HEALTHY player, not all the LT's they looked at were this healthy. (hints of Williams?)

Kubiak/Smith- Gibbs was nonstop talking/gooing over Brown for the past 6 weeks, perfect player for us, they WERE targeting HIM. discussions throughout the day with Baltimore and called them leading up to our #18 (I assume right after Albert was taken). Sounds like Kubiak/Gibbs really wanted Brown but Smith was pushing the trade down for him. Traded down, everybody nervous... Brown was available for us and Kubiak was extatic. We got a call with 1 minute left on the clock (at #26) and Kubiak said "don't answer that phone", Smith got an offer to move down some more and he respectfully declined the offer.
I'm really excited.
Is there a video or audio of this online?

He was already consider a 2nd round prospect that was moving up the draft boards, and was actually in some mock draft this past week going in the late 20s.

McClain's final mock had Pittsburgh taking Duane Brown at #23. Very insightful of Mr. McClain...

Also, regarding Arm Lengths...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48873

Top Ten Offensive Tackles ranked by arm length:

T-1.Godser Cherilus 35"

T-1.Carl Nicks 35"

T-3.Jeff Otah 34 5/8"

T-3.Anthony Collins 34"

5. Branden Albert 33 5/8"

6. Duane Brown 33 2/8"

T-7.Ryan Clady 33 1/8"

T-7.Sam Baker 33 1/8"

T-9.Chris Williams 32 7/8"

T-9.Jake Long 32 7/8"

For Comparison: (Thanks to Hoth-Boy, Lucky)

1. Alex Barron 37 6/8"

2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson 35 4/8"

3. Marcus McNeill 35 3/8"

4. Levi Brown 34 3/8"

5. Joe Thomas 32 4/8" and 33 2/8"

6. Robert Gallery 31"

Just some points I'd like to make about this pick. Some of them may have been made already in this thread but I'd like to put them together and put my name on them regardless. This is what I think.

I didn't like the pick and I'm still not sure I "believe" just yet. Despite the fact that entirely different brain trusts ran the two drafts I had a distinct "Travis Johnson Feeling" with this pick. That time I wanted Derrick Johnson, saw him fall to us, and then saw the Texans trade down and lose him. This time I wanted Rashard Mendenhall and again saw him fall to us before the Texans traded down and saw him picked three selections before our new spot.

The situations are different but I still have bad feelings about that draft so I'm trying not to let that affect my judgement here.

I've read a lot about how this guy gave up 8.5 sacks last season and I understand how it's hard to look at that and not think it was significant. I think it isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be however. They allowed 54 sacks total last year and that means that apart from the sacks Brown allowed this group managed to get their QB sacked 45.5 times. They were not a good unit. That much is obvious.

Brown was starting at LT for the first time last season. He was brought over from the right side where he'd played the two previous seasons. He's only been an OT for three years total.

First time starters at LT give up sacks. I'm glad he got his first experience there in college and not protecting the Texans QB like Charles Spencer did. Remember Spencer was a LG who was undergoing the transition to LT when he was injured. Arguably converting Spencer to LT was a more ambitious project than the reach for Brown will be. I expect him to give up some more sacks when he gets to Houston (if he's our starting LT). Chester Pitts was a LT in college and promptly gave up (I believe) something along the lines of 10-11 sacks in 2002. Seth Wand gave up a few more than Chester in his first year in the NFL.

I think that Brown is going to have to adjust to the speed of the NFL (like everybody) and I think that we'll go into the season with Salaam starting. Brown won't start until the coaches think he's ready to start.

I see people commenting on his strength and I think the Texans will have him in the weight room on a regular basis. Nobody comes to Houston and stays weak. I think this will be taken care of. I see comments about his work ethic and I think that Alex Gibbs is well known as a tough coach who gets results. I somehow don't think that Mr. Brown is going to have much luck not doing the work here while he's reporting to Gibbs.

Finally I am thinking that I don't really even believe that I can be sure he'll play LT for us. Until the Texans get to camp and see what they have in Charles Spencer I don't think we can just assume that he's the starting LT. If Spencer comes back and can do the work then he might very well have something to say about who gets that starting LT salary. I'm not ready to rule anything out yet and I mean that. I would not be stunned to see Eric Winston back over on the left side if he turns out to be our best option there. I wouldn't be shocked if Chester Pitts gets another look either.

I'm not saying that I think any of this will happen necessarily. I'm just saying that we might have just seen our new "nasty" LG drafted and not known it. We just won't know until they get to camp and start working.

I'm in the "give them the benefit of the doubt" camp on this right now. That could change. I'm not going to get down on this draft until we see what happens tomorrow. If Mendenhall does some kind of Adrian Peterson impersonation next year and runs all over everyone (including us in week 1) on his way to a rookie of the year award then this is going to be a tough one to swallow.

Finally I am thinking that I don't really even believe that I can be sure he'll play LT for us. Until the Texans get to camp and see what they have in Charles Spencer I don't think we can just assume that he's the starting LT. If Spencer comes back and can do the work then he might very well have something to say about who gets that starting LT salary. I'm not ready to rule anything out yet and I mean that. I would not be stunned to see Eric Winston back over on the left side if he turns out to be our best option there. I wouldn't be shocked if Chester Pitts gets another look either.

I'm not saying that I think any of this will happen necessarily. I'm just saying that we might have just seen our new "nasty" LG drafted and not known it. We just won't know until they get to camp and start working.

I'm in the "give them the benefit of the doubt" camp on this right now. That could change. I'm not going to get down on this draft until we see what happens tomorrow. If Mendenhall does some kind of Adrian Peterson impersonation next year and runs all over everyone (including us in week 1) on his way to a rookie of the year award then this is going to be a tough one to swallow.

hes our LT believe it.. 100% garunteed

I didn't like the pick and I'm still not sure I "believe" just yet. Despite the fact that entirely different brain trusts ran the two drafts I had a distinct "Travis Johnson Feeling" with this pick. That time I wanted Derrick Johnson, saw him fall to us, and then saw the Texans trade down and lose him. This time I wanted Rashard Mendenhall and again saw him fall to us before the Texans traded down and saw him picked three selections before our new spot.

Why are you inside my head?

I am happy with the pick, actually. I have long wanted a LT, and if this is who Gibbs wanted, by God, give the man what he wants. I also don't care if it's considered a reach. I was hoping they would take Sam Baker when they traded back, which many would have called a reach. Well, Baker went ahead of Brown. So those aspects don't bother me about it.

The only part that really bothers me about it is I felt like they could have picked up a second rounder, even if it meant swapping later round picks in the process.

But hey, we got a first round left tackle. Sign me up.

Allright, allright.

way to man up... i don't mind you showing displeasure, but you did overreact. a real man owns up to his **** though. much respect.

Just some points I'd like to make about this pick. Some of them may have been made already in this thread but I'd like to put them together and put my name on them regardless. This is what I think.

The situations are different but I still have bad feelings about that draft so I'm trying not to let that affect my judgement here.

I've read a lot about how this guy gave up 8.5 sacks last season and I understand how it's hard to look at that and not think it was significant. I think it isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be however. They allowed 54 sacks total last year and that means that apart from the sacks Brown allowed this group managed to get their QB sacked 45.5 times. They were not a good unit. That much is obvious.

Brown was starting at LT for the first time last season. He was brought over from the right side where he'd played the two previous seasons. He's only been an OT for three years total.

First time starters at LT give up sacks. I'm glad he got his first experience there in college and not protecting the Texans QB like Charles Spencer did. Remember Spencer was a LG who was undergoing the transition to LT when he was injured. Arguably converting Spencer to LT was a more ambitious project than the reach for Brown will be. I expect him to give up some more sacks when he gets to Houston (if he's our starting LT). Chester Pitts was a LT in college and promptly gave up (I believe) something along the lines of 10-11 sacks in 2002. Seth Wand gave up a few more than Chester in his first year in the NFL.

I think that Brown is going to have to adjust to the speed of the NFL (like everybody) and I think that we'll go into the season with Salaam starting. Brown won't start until the coaches think he's ready to start.

I see people commenting on his strength and I think the Texans will have him in the weight room on a regular basis. Nobody comes to Houston and stays weak. I think this will be taken care of. I see comments about his work ethic and I think that Alex Gibbs is well known as a tough coach who gets results. I somehow don't think that Mr. Brown is going to have much luck not doing the work here while he's reporting to Gibbs.

this is our new LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Why are you inside my head?

As mentioned in the thread these were different staffs. Keep in mind since Kubiak took over even operating with casserly our drafts have been above average.

The common thread in our last two drafts is Kubiak, people act as thought casserly suddenly made wise decisions two years ago with Williams, Ryans and Daniel et al bit the fact is he picked the players the coaches asked for. Maybe that was hois down fall in previous years was that Capers and Co. could not find diamonds in the rough like Kubiak and his staff. Now Kubiak has another coach on his staff highly regarded as an Oline talent and scheme guru so some doubt is justified, but the staff that made this pick should provide some cofidence as well.

We won't know until the fall. But I have faith in Gibbs. If this was Gibbs' guy, and Kubes and Smith green lighted it, I think we're gonna' like this guy.

hes our LT believe it.. 100% garunteed

this is our new LT, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I do believe it. I think that with Gibbs that our starting LT will be the best player we have for the job and nobody else. My comments about what wouldn't surprise me were about how our previous regime would draft someone or sign someone and the job was theirs whether they applied themselves or not, whether they were a good fit or not.

If Brown is all the worst things in all the articles linked in this thread and he busts then he won't be our starting LT under Kubiak and Gibbs. If he can't cut it regardless of the coaching then he won't be our starting LT. If they leave Spencer at OT (as the swing tackle) and he beats Brown out of the job then Brown won't be our starting LT.

Believe that and I'm happy to say it's also 100% guaranteed.

At first I was kinda like WTF ? Then I had time to look into the guy , and see the highlights they showed on the local newscast . They showed the press conference with Kubiak and Smith and they sure did seem happy , and excited as hell to get this guy . They are professionals , and know what they are talking about , so I cant really pass judgment on this decision . I really do hope the guy works out . Tomorrow is gonna be interesting . I cant wait to see what Kubiak and Smith can do . Heres to hoping we can pull off a steal at RB , and CB . :texflag:

Allright, allright.

Id give ya some rep but it says I have to spread it around :D.

Much respect to ya swtbound.

texanpride

Allright, allright.

im just quoting this so its seen again. I was an ass earlier, and it was unnecessary. I wasn't being an ass to be an ass, i was legitimately pissed...but im over it. I think as a fan, your allowed a window to be pissed and second guess stuff...but at the end of the day, its my team, and brown now plays for it. Welcome to the O-line Duane. I hope your as good as advertised.

im just quoting this so its seen again. I was an ass earlier, and it was unnecessary. I wasn't being an ass to be an ass, i was legitimately pissed...but im over it. I think as a fan, your allowed a window to be pissed and second guess stuff...but at the end of the day, its my team, and brown now plays for it. Welcome to the O-line Duane. I hope your as good as advertised.

I watched drafts where I was going ... what the hell are we doing not taking player X . Then you look back and say what happened to player X he did'nt pan out I guess .

I'm hoping we hit on this pick ... we need a LT . I think after Albert and Williams were gone , we went to plan B . The good news is we moved down and got picks and still got plan b .

It's all good SWT. We knew you'd come around.

Here is our future All-Star (lets hope!)

PH2008042602412.jpg

About SWT.. he is a :stirpot: (champion at that), but I think I repped him on the official boards long time ago ..because he does stick to his guns and he "mans up" to his posts (and why isn't there a SWT smiley?)

confused on this because I am too lazy to look it up but was the 8.5 sacks given up in one year or two.. (I have seen it mentioned both ways)

Anyway I was like herv.. I felt it was like the TJ pick all over with but I am not a draft wizard and mainly because I haven't watched the guy..

anyway about the mocks that forcasted where he would go.. curious if they expect 7 OT's to go on a run so fast and so early so the demand went up for him .. I expect if we traded down again and Brown would have been gone by the time we picked again, the board would light up about how we didn't get an OT early.

With that said.. Positives I see

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

I would think that is coach able (the laziness) and (if I read right) stands up too tall and something else but that was pages ago

positives.
Coach Gibbs should bring out the best in him
probably not start but if he does that says something (I doubt the Texans would throw him in the fire).. Texans probably will let him develop
I take it he went against Chris Long (who has a good motor) in college and in TC.. possibly going against Mario

If those don't help him.. well the Texans scouts dropped a goose egg on this pick.. but time will tell

I had a few hours to chill and go over this thread and the one at www.inthebullseye.com on what was said by many people

I was shocked at first but calmness has comeover me now

Build our offensive and defensive lines first. I think this will be a great pick. A solid O-Line can make most NFL running backs look great......a poor O-Line will make that same running back look terrible ( Edgerrin James ). Forget Mendenhall and the other running backs. YOU CANNOT WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT DOMINANCE IN THE TRENCHES!!

Truth.

The only thing I don't like about the pick is that it's not the sexy pick, but I don't believe any true sexy picks were gone by the 18th. All this Mendenhall talk seems wishfull. Let's not confuse him with a McFadden caliber player. I'm not saying Menden isn't good, but we sure didn't pass on a blue chip RB. Instead, a more pressing need was addressed.

I'm sick and tired of watching our QB get laid out. I'm sick and tired of watching 3 and outs. I'm sick and tired of being at the bottom of the AFC South. We have the skill players we need. We just don't have the line shored up to give those skill players a level field to play on. LT is the weakest link on that line, and the FO has the fortitude to put a stop to it. Sure, we have the potential of Big Nasty to squash that need, but last time I recall banking on a LT coming back from the infirmary, Boselli ended up busting. Someone recently pointed out Young to me too. We've been patching long enough.

Kubes, Smith, Gibbs... you saw a hole and filled it. Thank you!

Brown will be starting week 1, I have no doubt. I don't believe for one second that Kubes, Smith and Gibbs would take an OL in the first if they didn't think he would make no better impact than a 5th round lineman. Will he be in Honolulu next February? Prolly not, but let's not confuse him with Mr. Irrelevant. While he certainly isn't the consensus 1st round grade linemane, I like what I read about how DB fit's the Gibbs scheme. I think he fits the Texans 1st round pick well.

Welcome to Houston Duane!

I have some advise for you: Don't read the forums! We are all nutz!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: But in our defense, We've spent the past 2 years talking about Reggie Bush an Vince Young :brickwall:

Id give ya some rep but it says I have to spread it around :D.

Much respect to ya swtbound.

texanpride

probably all the neg rep you gave him earlier :)

i was happy with the pick from the start but when i see the way smith and kubiak especially are gushing over him (noticeably moreso than mario and amobi imo), im starting to get really excited about him

Hopefully this draft will follow the pattern of the 2006 draft: controversial first pick that pans out followed by great pick after great pick.

I have some real concerns about Brown (more having to do with his school's systemic lack of success in the NFL), but if he can keep Schaub's backside clean, then I don't care where he was selected.

That having been said, it is instructive that no tackles were taken today in the 37 picks after Brown was taken. Most draftniks I followed had Brown grouped with Sam Baker, Anthony Collins and Carl Nicks. If Collins or Nicks are still on the board tomorrow when the Texans' next pick comes up, I may get sick. Though when the Cowboys jumped ahead of us and took Jenkins, I was really not sure where else to go.

but you're WAY off there

I could very, very well could be. And I won't be alone. He's quick, but he's not THAT fast or elusive. He lacks the homerun threat that you get out of a McFadden, who I think of when I say blue chip. Did Mendenhall even sniff the heisman?

I wont deny I beleive Mendenhall to be higher rated than Brown. I would say either have a bit of a learning curve ahead of them.

Allright, allright.

No worries man, I over reacted too. But after 6 months of mock drafts and fantasy scenerios, you can't blame the way we felt after we heard the pick. I never would have though that Duane Brown was our future LT but after reviewing film, I'm ok with him. Best of luck to you Duane and may you have a long ass career with the Texans!!!

Charles Spenser is 6-4 as well. It's all good. It's not like we drafted Gary Coleman

The good thing is that he has longer arms than the 6'6" Chris Williams. My main conern is the pass protection in our division, so Duane Brown will have the PHYSICAL tools to suceed. Welcome Duane Brown!

I could very, very well could be. And I won't be alone. He's quick, but he's not THAT fast or elusive. He lacks the homerun threat that you get out of a McFadden, who I think of when I say blue chip. Did Mendenhall even sniff the heisman?

I wont deny I beleive Mendenhall to be higher rated than Brown. I would say either have a bit of a learning curve ahead of them.

The best player in the NFL wasn't a heisman candidate in college. But I don't think you can be consider good without once being in the running for the heisman, right?

My main conern is the pass protection in our division, so Duane Brown will have the PHYSICAL tools to suceed. Welcome Duane Brown!

I concur. If I understand the pick from they eyes of the FO, it is the PHYSICAL tools that he possesses that cater to thier belief he was worthy of being picked at that spot. Like many have said already, I'll trust them.

"We were worried, but I tried to be the calm before the storm because I had a room full of people who were scared to death that we weren't going to get him," Smith said. "I had to put a good face on."

The telephone rang in the Texans' war room at Reliant Stadium. It was a team inquiring if the Texans wanted to trade down again.

"I heard the phone ring, and I screamed to Rick, 'Don't answer it!' " Kubiak said. "We've been in love with Duane for a long time. He fits what we want to do. He's very athletic. I love his passion for the game. We're calling on him to help this team very, very early."

Well, considering that Brown is a slow-learner; I'm hoping Kubiak mails him the playbook over night for alittle early homework.

I hope he's ready by the time we step on Heinz field.

Back