Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dre Whips Finnegan

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
But there is this part of me that wishes Andre Johnson had connected with that shot he threw at Finnegan ... would've been lights out ...

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
But there is this part of me that wishes Andre Johnson had connected with that shot he threw at Finnegan ... would've been lights out ...
Remember when we joked that Andre looked like Muhammad Ali after the Washington TD?

Yeah.... lol

SoCalTexanFan

Practice Squad
Love seeing AJ with emotion. Can't wait to see what he does to him in the next game. Guarantee Finnegan won't make the same mistake....GO AJ

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Finnegan has had that coming for years. AJ finally had enough and raped Finnegan. It's been a long time coming and I only wish it would have lasted longer.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
:headhurts: What the vugg was that?! As much as I dislike Finnegan André lost his cool and shouldn't have. Knowing how cool André NORMALLY is, I can't help but wonder what the HELL Finnegan must have be saying/doing all game to make the man snap like that. AJ doesn't get rattled that easily. I've lost a little respect for the guy. I still think him a class act, but this is clearly beneath him and not one of his shining moments.

...although I have to be honest, I would have loved for him to have done this against the Cowgirls.

awtysst

Draft Guru
I just don't understand why yall would like this. It is a HORRIBLE example to set for kids. Telling kids its perfectly ok to knock someone down and take a couple of shots as the way to resolve conflict is a poor message.

Plus, this is a team sport. AJ SHOULD be suspended for a game or two. So, he will hurt the team's chances against the Eagles and Ravens. Those were going to be tough games. Without AJ those are essentially L's.

awtysst

Draft Guru
:headhurts: What the vugg was that?! As much as I dislike Finnegan André lost his cool and shouldn't have. Knowing how cool André NORMALLY is, I can't help but wonder what the HELL Finnegan must have be saying/doing all game to make the man snap like that. AJ doesn't get rattled that easily. I've lost a little respect for the guy. I still think him a class act, but this is clearly beneath him and not one of his shining moments.

...although I have to be honest, I would have loved for him to have done this against the Cowgirls.
Agreed. I would like to see AJ address the media and apologize. He should say that he made a monumental mistake and that fighting has no place in football and life in general.

Tailgate

Fall of Hame

Did you see the play??? Finnegan came after him HARD with a push to the head and didnt have any plans to quit... basically attacking him. He did what 99.9% of all MEN would have done at that point. If anything, I have even MORE respect for AJ.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand why yall would like this. It is a HORRIBLE example to set for kids. Telling kids its perfectly ok to knock someone down and take a couple of shots as the way to resolve conflict is a poor message.

Plus, this is a team sport. AJ SHOULD be suspended for a game or two. So, he will hurt the team's chances against the Eagles and Ravens. Those were going to be tough games. Without AJ those are essentially L's.
Do you really think we have a chance to beat Philly or Baltimore with or without AJ?

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
Rodney Harrison didn't get a suspension for hitting Big Ben last week, so why would Andre? Especially when Finnegan threw punches, too.
I thought that was Richard Seahorn who hit Roethlissburger? Part of me wants to joke and say I haven't seen anyone get hit that hard since that Asian stripper tagged Bill for stuffing Thai money into her G-string, but given the gravity of this situation, this is going to have some ramifications.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
What kind of example does hockey set? It's a sport where the refs actually
back off, and no one is assigned to the penalty box until a player drops
to the ice.

I could think of a couple reasons why such a double standard exists, but
I'll leave it alone...

TEXANRED

Texan-American
Rodney Harrison didn't get a suspension for hitting Big Ben last week, so why would Andre? Especially when Finnegan threw punches, too.
Not arguing that Finnegan didnt deserve it, just sayin that when the league reviews the tape they will see Johnson rip off Finnegan's helmet and throw and connect two punches and also rips the refs hands off of him.

texan279

Hall of Fame
did you see the play??? Finnegan came after him hard with a push to the head and didnt have any plans to quit... Basically attacking him. He did what 99.9% of all men would have done at that point. If anything, i have even more respect for aj.
+1..

awtysst

Draft Guru
Did you see the play??? Finnegan came after him HARD with a push to the head and didnt have any plans to quit... basically attacking him. He did what 99.9% of all MEN would have done at that point. If anything, I have even MORE respect for AJ.
Oh please. I would hope 99.9% of men would be able to not resort to fisticuffs. Shoving is fine, but AJ crossed the line. He ripped off CF's helmet and hit him with closed fists. There is no reason for that despicable behavior on the football field or in life.

AJ is a person many children look up to. AJ told them that the way to deal with adversity is with your hands and not your brain.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
I saw it as well as how Finnegan has been messin with him all day. I won't say I wouldn't have given him a helmet to the facemask, but that's me. Hauling off and clocking the guy only makes AJ look like the bad guy no matter HOW big a jerk Finnegan is.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Cosign on this one. I cant' believe that anyone would lose respect or knock AJ for this. Finnegan's been taking dirty shots at AJ for years and other players as well, but especially AJ. He took a shot at AJ's facemask and poked the bear for the last time.

I have even more respect for AJ as well. Sometimes a beat down is what a guy needs and Finnegan needs even more than what he got.

And it isn't AJ's job to teach kids how to act on a football field. It's the parents of kids that play and their own coaches to teach them how to act. AJ is only human and you can't expect him to continually put up with a dirty scoundrel like Finnegan constantly taking dirty shots at him every year. Finnegan needed to get raped and he did. And even after it happened he was winking and smiling. No more validation was needed to show that AJ was justified at that point in my book.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I saw it as well as how Finnegan has been messin with him all day. I won't say I wouldn't have given him a helmet to the facemask, but that's me. Hauling off and clocking the guy only makes AJ look like the bad guy no matter HOW big a jerk Finnegan is.
Absolutely true, Finnegan is a jerk but clever enough to not get caught throwing great haymakers at another player.

Finnegan is a game player and he made AJ lose it big time.

awtysst

Draft Guru
to the ice.

I'll leave it alone...
I agree. I don't like fighting in hockey either. To a certain extent you are right, though the refs are trying to limit the fighting. Yes I know where you are going with the double standard...

AJ is a person you could point to as the guy who plays the game the right way. Parents could point to a guy who works hard and plays hard FOR the team and does so in a productive way.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
to the ice.

I'll leave it alone...
Ever try to break up a fight when BOTH combatants are on ice skates? It's not that easy and it's kind of dangerous. Someone falls and kicks and you have a damn nasty gash from the blade of a skate. Ever take a blade to the leg? It hurts like a son of a *****.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Ever try to break up a fight when BOTH combatants are on ice skates? It's not that easy and it's kind of dangerous. Someone falls and kicks and you have a damn nasty gash from the blade of a skate. Ever take a blade to the leg? It hurts like a son of a *****.
Neither player is ejected from the game, nor suspended for fighting. They
just sit for a couple minutes in the penalty box, and it's back to the ice.
My description of the glaring double-standard still applies.

Nobody ever goes knee-jerk about fighting in hockey.

BullsOnParade

Original Rager
I agree. I don't like fighting in hockey either. To a certain extent you are right, though the refs are trying to limit the fighting. Yes I know where you are going with the double standard...

AJ is a person you could point to as the guy who plays the game the right way. Parents could point to a guy who works hard and plays hard FOR the team and does so in a productive way.
You don't like fighting in hockey!? Do you know anything about the sport, or are you just talking out of your @ss...? Go watch soccer or tennis. Leave hockey alone. You obviously have no respect for the game.

P.S. Finnegan deserved every bit of that. I just wish it wasn't during the football game.

awtysst

Draft Guru
Cosign on this one. I cant' believe that anyone would lose respect or knock AJ for this. Finnegan's been taking dirty shots at AJ for years and other players as well, but especially AJ. He took a shot at AJ's facemask and poked the bear for the last time.

I have even more respect for AJ as well. Sometimes a beat down is what a guy needs and Finnegan needs even more than what he got.

And it isn't AJ's job to teach kids how to act on a football field. It's the parents of kids that play and their own coaches to teach them how to act. AJ is only human and you can't expect him to continually put up with a dirty scoundrel like Finnegan constantly taking dirty shots at him every year. Finnegan needed to get raped.
1. Yeah, CF has been doing that to AJ for years, and AJ handled it properly until now. He continually outplayed CF and made him look foolish time and time again. Instead of lowering himself to CF's tactics, he stayed above the fray.

2. That's a nice sentiment, but we all know that's not how it works. Young players try to emulate older ones. AJ has tried to emulate his hero: Jerry Rice. Would Jerry Rice ever swing at another player? Nope. He'd laugh it off and laugh as the opposing player cost his team 15 yards.

The bigger is in life. If a punk is constantly bothering you, would you resort to fisticuffs? If you do, you could go to jail for it. What made AJ so amazing was that he was like Jerry Rice in talent and personality. He didn't let opposing players bother him. Now, he has lost some of his luster.

Pantherstang84

@rolisrgti06

You know what? I used to get bullied in school until I stood up in 7th grade and kicked the caca out of one of them. Never got messed with after that. Same thing with my two boys. They got bullied until they stood up. Sometimes you just have to do it. And teaching your kids otherwise sets them up to get bullied their whole life.

fikster

Rookie
Oh please. I would hope 99.9% of men would be able to not resort to fisticuffs. Shoving is fine, but AJ crossed the line. He ripped off CF's helmet and hit him with closed fists. There is no reason for that despicable behavior on the football field or in life.

AJ is a person many children look up to. AJ told them that the way to deal with adversity is with your hands and not your brain.
Statements like yours are the reason we will always be 8-8 or 7-9. A player stands up for himself and defends his house and you get in here and talk about kids looking up to him. Kids should look up to their parents not a professional athlete they will never have a relationship day to day. The captain of our team did something he felt he had to do in order to get the bs with finnegan to stop. Now what we need to do is talk to our kids and tell them that wasn't the best way to handle but sometimes it happens.

Last edited:

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Not arguing that Finnegan didnt deserve it, just sayin that when the league reviews the tape they will see Johnson rip off Finnegan's helmet and throw and connect two punches and also rips the refs hands off of him.
But Richard Seymour didn't get suspended for throwing punches last week, so AJ shouldn't either. And of course Finnegan deserved it. Had it coming for years.

Last edited:

fikster

Rookie
Neither player is ejected from the game, nor suspended for fighting. They
just sit for a couple minutes in the penalty box, and it's back to the ice.
My description of the glaring double-standard still applies.

Nobody ever goes knee-jerk about fighting in hockey.
Preach!

awtysst

Draft Guru
You don't like fighting in hockey!? Do you know anything about the sport, or are you just talking out of your @ss... Go watch soccer or tennis. Finnegan deserved every bit of that.
Yes, I know all about the sport. I am well aware of the history of the sport and thoroughly enjoy it. It does not mean I have to enjoy every part of it. I believe what is holding hockey back is the fighting.

Oh, and try to make a salient point without the use of poorly devised person jabs.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I respect Andre's actions. After watching the montage of cheapshots in this game and seeing the crap Finnegan pulls somebody needed to bloody his lip. Besides that, fighting is not the end of the world and happens all the time.

Please don't use "Think of the Children" arguments. If you don't want children seeing violence they shouldn't be watching a football game anyway.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame

Plus, this is a team sport. AJ SHOULD be suspended for a game or two.
So, he will hurt the team's chances against the Eagles and Ravens. Those were going to be tough games. Without AJ those are essentially L's.
Please.

Richard Seymour threw punches at Big Ben last week and only got a fine. Andre should not be suspended. It's not like it was one-sided.

Dishman

Miss Ya Blue
to the ice.

I'll leave it alone...

Fair enough, but if Andre is suspended for any length of time will it have been worth it? If I'm hoping the wins continue then probably not, but if the next game or two are losses anyway then maybe it is worth it.

BullsOnParade

Original Rager
Yes, I know all about the sport. I am well aware of the history of the sport and thoroughly enjoy it. It does not mean I have to enjoy every part of it. I believe what is holding hockey back is the fighting.

Oh, and try to make a salient point without the use of poorly devised person jabs.
Holding the sport back? Honestly, from someone who has played hockey all my life, you're what's holding the sport back.

1. Yeah, CF has been doing that to AJ for years, and AJ handled it properly until now. He continually outplayed CF and made him look foolish time and time again. Instead of lowering himself to CF's tactics, he stayed above the fray.

2. That's a nice sentiment, but we all know that's not how it works. Young players try to emulate older ones. AJ has tried to emulate his hero: Jerry Rice. Would Jerry Rice ever swing at another player? Nope. He'd laugh it off and laugh as the opposing player cost his team 15 yards.

The bigger is in life. If a punk is constantly bothering you, would you resort to fisticuffs? If you do, you could go to jail for it. What made AJ so amazing was that he was like Jerry Rice in talent and personality. He didn't let opposing players bother him. Now, he has lost some of his luster.
Sports figures should NEVER be your kids Heros, you as a father should be and if you are not, you are failing as a parent, period

Ranger Tom

All Pro

We might be going off-topic here, but I agree. Every time I see hockey players ripping their gloves off, I find myself exasperated, wishing they'd get back to the game.