Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Draft Prospects that would fit in the Tampa 2

Which prospects do you think would fit our defense?

Here are some of the guys I have my eye on:

K. Hamilton S- great tackler, good blitzer, does well in zone coverage

J. Pitre S- nose for the football, high football IQ

C. Muma LB- good in coverage and can support the run, elite tackler, high energy player

M. Butler DT-explosive, plays with good leverage, fast hands

T. Anderson LB- fast, great work ethic, aggressive

A. Gardner CB- thrives in zone coverage, experienced in a variety of coverages, aggressive competitor

T. McDuffie CB- versatile, aggressive tackler, good football IQ

R. McCreary CB- exceptional athlete, competitor, good football IQ

M. Jones CB- loose hips, terrific ball skills, outstanding tackler

I haven’t had a chance to look into later round DBs, but if we could add even 2 of these players I think our defense would improve.

Looking forward to hearing y’all’s thoughts

Perrion Winfrey Oklahoma Under Tackle
Cameron Thomas San Diego State Strong DE
Boye Mafe Minnesota LEO
Kaiir Elam Florida CB
Coby Bryant Cincinnati CB
Damarri Mathis Pittsburgh CB
Kerby Joseph Illinois FS (Played for Lovie)
Troy Andersen Montana State SAM

I
Perrion Winfrey Oklahoma Under Tackle
Cameron Thomas San Diego State Strong DE
Boye Mafe Minnesota LEO
Kaiir Elam Florida CB
Coby Bryant Cincinnati CB
Damarri Mathis Pittsburgh CB
Kerby Joseph Illinois FS (Played for Lovie)
Troy Andersen Montana State SAM
I really liked what Winfrey and Mafe brought to the table at the SB. I was a little disappointed in Bryant from the SB, but I’d be open to drafting him in the 4th or later.

Which prospects do you think would fit our defense?

Here are some of the guys I have my eye on:

K. Hamilton S- great tackler, good blitzer, does well in zone coverage

J. Pitre S- nose for the football, high football IQ

C. Muma LB- good in coverage and can support the run, elite tackler, high energy player

M. Butler DT-explosive, plays with good leverage, fast hands

T. Anderson LB- fast, great work ethic, aggressive

A. Gardner CB- thrives in zone coverage, experienced in a variety of coverages, aggressive competitor

T. McDuffie CB- versatile, aggressive tackler, good football IQ

R. McCreary CB- exceptional athlete, competitor, good football IQ

M. Jones CB- loose hips, terrific ball skills, outstanding tackler

I haven’t had a chance to look into later round DBs, but if we could add even 2 of these players I think our defense would improve.

Looking forward to hearing y’all’s thoughts
Great thread.
Will be following this one with interest.

Did a PFF Mock and came away with:
SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND)
DE- Logan Hall (HOU) **Actually had Jermain Johnson II, but I'm fairly certain he'll go RD1**
LB- Chad Muma (WY)
FS- Brad Hawkins (MI)
CB- Jaylen Watson (WA St)

This group could bring a whole lot to Lovie's Tampa 2 Defense.

Did a PFF Mock and came away with:
SS- Kyle Hamilton (ND)
DE- Logan Hall (HOU) **Actually had Jermain Johnson II, but I'm fairly certain he'll go RD1**
LB- Chad Muma (WY)
FS- Brad Hawkins (MI)
CB- Jaylen Watson (WA St)

This group could bring a whole lot to Lovie's Tampa 2 Defense.
That’s a nice draft! I’m not familiar with Hawkins, but I’m loving your top 3.

That’s a nice draft! I’m not familiar with Hawkins, but I’m loving your top 3.

You might like the bottom 3 as well:

Check out Muma (6-3 @ 242 lbs). He’s a sideline to sideline beast who hits anyone with the ball in their hand. He’s a technical hitter who wraps up his tackles. Has football smarts that has made him like a coach oAlso, he’s not making those tackles 7-10 yards past the LOS. He’d be a huge addition in the LB’er room and against the run game.

Hawkins (6-1 @ 220 lbs) is a decently fast safety who excels in hitting folks and helping out in the run game. Based on his strengths….I’d slip back to FS and let him face the game, that’ll become a strength. Pair him with Kyle Hamilton and Lovie will have a couple of guys who could set the tone for receivers crossing their paths.

Watson is a big CB (6-3 @ 203 lbs) who’s probably going to pop a 4.4-40. He’s going to have some work to do on technique but he possesses pop on his hits as well. He has the physical tangibles to make it worth the pick.

Love Muma. I think he’s more likely to go late 1st early 2nd than 3rd as he goes through the combine and pro day process.
His height will hurt him

edit: I had read somewhere he was 6'0" but reading other sites I see he is 6'3"

Last edited:
I am really enjoying Cam Taylor-Britt as a 4-5 round prospect. Fits the Tampa 2 scheme like a glove as an outside CB. Could compete for a starting CB spot as a rookie. And a physical tackler in run support to boot. For this scheme he is probably a 3rd round value.

Battle Red Blog- History of Tampa 2

I was reading this article by BRB and it discusses the importance of the middle linebacker in the T2.

Our entire defense needs a revamp. Who would y’all draft to fulfill the role of the MLB?

Here are the prospects that I would consider:

Nakobe Dean- if he falls to #37, I would draft him. I know he’s small, but I believe his instincts and leadership would be an excellent add. I don’t know if NC would consider him because of his size, but he’ll be a great addition to some team.

Troy Anderson - his athleticism would be amazing in the middle and he’d be able to cover TEs. He is still learning the LB roll because he played multiple positions, but the potential is there to develop.

What other positions/prospects for the T2 could you see us adding in the draft?

You can't just line up and run cover 2 anymore. Offenses are too good and the rules bend that way. If your lbs can't squeeze zones in cover 2, it's like playing 7 on 7. SF play alot of Cover 2, but there back 7 in coverage and the front with the pressure is why it works.

Andrew Booth Jr. This is what an NFC scout said about him:

"They run a lot of shell coverages (at Clemson) but I think he's more of a Lovie Smith-type cornerback but with better twitch and speed." -- Scout for NFC team

No to the Clemson trash

Hopefully the Calhoun's have learned where drafting Clemson trash will get you

If he was available in the 6th rd I would consider picking him.

I was reading this article by BRB and it discusses the importance of the middle linebacker in the T2.

Our entire defense needs a revamp. Who would y’all draft to fulfill the role of the MLB?

Here are the prospects that I would consider:

Nakobe Dean- if he falls to #37, I would draft him. I know he’s small, but I believe his instincts and leadership would be an excellent add. I don’t know if NC would consider him because of his size, but he’ll be a great addition to some team.

Troy Anderson - his athleticism would be amazing in the middle and he’d be able to cover TEs. He is still learning the LB roll because he played multiple positions, but the potential is there to develop.

Anderson could be just as effective as Dean - he has better measurables and has sideline to sideline speed.

URL='https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Troy-Andersen-RB-MontanaState']Troy Anderson [/URL]- his athleticism would be amazing in the middle and he’d be able to cover TEs. He is still learning the LB roll because he played multiple positions, but the potential is there to develop.

By: Luke SheltonPosted at 3:25 PM, Apr 06, 2022 and last updated 5:34 PM, Apr 06, 2022
BOZEMAN — Let's call it the calm before the storm.

With the NFL Draft looming, Troy Andersen will head back to his hometown of Dillon for a few weeks of relative rest and relaxation.

After a two-month spree that saw him shine at the Reese's Senior Bowl, clock a position-best time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine, and participate in a few drills at Montana State's Pro Day, Andersen will spend the coming days with his family, helping out on his parents ranch and working out with friends at Montana Western.
OK this Anderson kid is impressive - 4.2 40 @ the Combine and he's 6'4" an in the 235-240 range so we are talking
a really fast Brian Cushing type.
Never heard of him because I don't get the NFLNet any more (thanks AT&T !), but I'm familiar with his hometown - Dillon, Mt an area where I go trout fishing every Fall. Little bitty place in the middle of nowhere with 'bout a 5K pop, son you can bet he's got good work ethics. Raised on a ranch adn class val in HS.
This kid is a real sleeper IMO but I admit I've got some pejuduce about the Big Sky country so I think he's def worth of of our 3s anyway.

Last edited:
Current DB depth chart per Ourlads. I see Texans adding an outside CB and safety to the mix within top 108 picks. Maybe add a guy like Marcus Jones to contribute at slot but he would mostly be a special teams contributor. I feel good about Thomas/King in slot. Outside CB and both safety positions need to be addressed.

LCB 00 Nelson, Steven U/Phi 24 Smith, Tremon U/Ind 22 Moreland, Jimmy W/Was 00 Robinson II, Reggie W/Dal

SS 23 Murray, Eric U/Cle 35 Arnold, Grayland SF21

FS 8 BROOKS, TERRENCE U/NE 00 Stewart, MJ U/Cle 36 Owens, Jonathan SF19

RCB 25 King II, Desmond U/Ten 1 Johnson Jr., Lonnie 19/2 00 Yiadom, Isaac SF22

SCB 37 Thomas, Tavierre U/Cle 00 Stewart, MJ U/Cle

Current DB depth chart per Ourlads. I see Texans adding an outside CB and safety to the mix within top 108 picks. Maybe add a guy like Marcus Jones to contribute at slot but he would mostly be a special teams contributor. I feel good about Thomas/King in slot. Outside CB and both safety positions need to be addressed.

LCB 00 Nelson, Steven U/Phi 24 Smith, Tremon U/Ind 22 Moreland, Jimmy W/Was 00 Robinson II, Reggie W/Dal

SS 23 Murray, Eric U/Cle 35 Arnold, Grayland SF21

FS 8 BROOKS, TERRENCE U/NE 00 Stewart, MJ U/Cle 36 Owens, Jonathan SF19

RCB 25 King II, Desmond U/Ten 1 Johnson Jr., Lonnie 19/2 00 Yiadom, Isaac SF22

SCB 37 Thomas, Tavierre U/Cle 00 Stewart, MJ U/Cle
Stewart actually played pretty well at fs according to things that I have read. Of course Murray needs to be upgraded, but I don't think Lovie sees things the way we do.

If you want to upgrade the safety position this is the yr to do it.

The position is talented and deep.

Back