Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Draft Projections (a poll)

With our first pick we take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
With no first round pick, I am curious what you think we will do tomorrow and Saturday. Mainly with our first pick. Vote and explain why you think it.

I went with Edge. I think JJ is going to be fine but he has been knicked up. We traded Clowney and just in case, a JJ replacement for the future. I can see WR also, but a good rush would really help.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The optimist in me would say we had a first round pick this year and his name is Laremy Tunsil. I can accept that but the O’Brien critic has to ask the question “yeah, but what about next years first and second round picks?”

For the purpose of this poll, though, I’m believing O’Brien when he alluded to the Texans drafting BPA and that player will be:

Safety - Grant Delpit

Of course, BPA is highly subjective. I’ve done a lot of simulated mocks this week and two names keep popping up on or around #40 - Delpit and D’Andre Swift. If O’Brien is hedging his bets he could feel Swift gives him a mulligan if David Johnson doesn’t work out. I don’t feel great about DJ either. But I wouldn’t take a RB at 40.

I’m really hoping the Texans (O’Brien and I guess Easterby?) trade back a little.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I voted OL, we're so close to having a dominant line I believe finishing what we started will pay huge dividends. We'll be in more control of the game extending drives, scoring in the red zone & keeping our defense (the other offense) off the field.

As far as edge, I thought Ejiofor & Martin would get more opportunity. With what we're paying Mercilus it doesn't make sense to go edge so early.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I voted OL, we're so close to having a dominant line I believe finishing what we started will pay huge dividends. We'll be in more control of the game extending drives, scoring in the red zone & keeping our defense (the other offense) off the field.

As far as edge, I thought Ejiofor & Martin would get more opportunity. With what we're paying Mercilus it doesn't make sense to go edge so early.
Good comment about the edge. I just see Julian Okwara as too much of an upgrade to pass up.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I hope it is either CB or Edge.
A decent DE would not disappoint either.
There are plenty of good options still on the board at #40.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I'm hoping Omenihu keeps progressing as well.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I voted Dline. It all starts or ends in the trenches.

Weaver gets first dibs this year.

:coffee:
I like Weaver - smaller school but knows how to do his job. Has very good stats.
I like a few other edge guys here as well - Bradley Anae, Darrell Taylor, Jonathan Greenard and a value guy, Casey Toohill.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Mercilus isn't playing a true edge/PRer spot since last year. They are moving him around due to his ability to stop the run and get to the QB. True, he might be moved to edge/PRer with the new DC.
I really want Josh Uche. Kid is a monster.

Number19

Hall of Fame
You’re expecting him to still be on the board at 2.40? Not saying you’re wrong, just wondering.
I'm not a true draftnik, but I haven't seen a mock where he wasn't available. What I have seen is him being taken between 40 and 45.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What's the chance of O'Brien packaging our second round pick along with a vet ( I dunno maybe Will Fuller) and moving up into the first round tonight ?

RGV82

Random guy
O’Brien is reportedly trying to trade into the first round. But how much is he willing to give up?
Knowing BOB, he would give up every single pick we have in the draft to get a 1st rounder. Even if it was 32nd overall.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I notice somebody voted for TE, but he was just being a funny boy. Too bad there was no "it doesn't matter" choice. If we had every 1st round pick we might improve enough to be a football team.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
O’Brien is reportedly trying to trade into the first round. But how much is he willing to give up?
The Niners are looking to move down, as they won’t have a pick after pick 1.31 until the 5th round. 2.40 and 3.90 would get the job done.

Who would O’Brien be going after? Gros-Matos or McKinney?

take6

Noob
The optimist in me would say we had a first round pick this year and his name is Laremy Tunsil. I can accept that but the O’Brien critic has to ask the question “yeah, but what about next years first and second round picks?”

For the purpose of this poll, though, I’m believing O’Brien when he alluded to the Texans drafting BPA and that player will be:

Safety - Grant Delpit

Of course, BPA is highly subjective. I’ve done a lot of simulated mocks this week and two names keep popping up on or around #40 - Delpit and D’Andre Swift. If O’Brien is hedging his bets he could feel Swift gives him a mulligan if David Johnson doesn’t work out. I don’t feel great about DJ either. But I wouldn’t take a RB at 40.

I’m really hoping the Texans (O’Brien and I guess Easterby?) trade back a little.
what about Taylor or Tee Higgins or Mims ? would you be ok if he picked one of these players ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
One mock has us taking Darrell Taylor EDGE Tennessee 6’4 267 LBS

Thoughts
Taylor was one of the top projected OLB/DE in the Draft. But there was hesitation for teams because last year, despite a great season, he was found to have played through the entire season with a tibial injury. He had to skip the Combine. In fact, his injury was a tibial stress fracture.........and he was lucky that with his continued play it did not progress to an overt fracture. He underwent surgery ~3 months ago............a surgery I found out was an intramedullary rod placed through the tibia. Typically, at ~3 months, a player if without pain and with healing confirmed on x-ray can return to light exercise...........and at ~6 months can return to full play barring the complication of a "non-union" healing of the bone (no signs of that at this time). Once healed, he should be able to return to pre-injury performance level.

If he were to pick a time to have his problem, this coronavirus period would probably have been the offseason to choose.

As an aside, he seems to be a very enticing prospect. My main concern (not his injury history) is that he seems to have just one main move........the bull rush.........and has not developed any substantial counter moves..............reminding me of someone else no longer on our team. This profile seems to be great in college, but tends to be questionable when transitioning to the NFL. Hopefully, if he is chosen by the Texans (or any other NFL team), he would be willing to actively work on expanding his repertoire.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Taylor was one of the top projected OLB/DE in the Draft. But there was hesitation for teams because last year, despite a great season, he was found to have played through the entire season with a tibial injury. He had to skip the Combine. In fact, his injury was a tibial stress fracture.........and he was lucky that with his continued play it did not progress to an overt fracture. He underwent surgery ~3 months ago............a surgery I found out was an intramedullary rod placed through the tibia. Typically, at ~3 months, a player if without pain and with healing confirmed on x-ray can return to light exercise...........and at ~6 months can return to full play barring the complication of a "non-union" healing of the bone (no signs of that at this time). Once healed, he should be able to return to pre-injury performance level.

If he were to pick a time to have his problem, this coronavirus period would probably have been the offseason to choose.

As an aside, he seems to be a very enticing prospect. My main concern (not his injury history) is that he seems to have just one main move........the bull rush.........and has not developed any substantial counter moves..............reminding me of someone else no longer on our team. This profile seems to be great in college, but tends to be questionable when transitioning to the NFL. Hopefully, if he is chosen by the Texans (or any other NFL team), he would be willing to actively work on expanding his repertoire.
Tough and talented.a good combo. If they traded down and picked Taylor I wouldn't have a problem with this. If you are ok with his injury history.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This is what I am concerned about regarding Taylor and his seemingly one trick bull rush..........something that can easily adversely affect run defense:

Taylor’ biggest weakness is his run defense, especially against counters and misdirection where his aggressive nature can get the best of him. He seems to get sucked up into blocks when his initial move isn't towards the football and he was buried on a few plays on film as a result.

RGV82

Random guy
So we still have 4.111, 5.171, 7.240, 7.248 and 7.250 left. Where are you placing your priorities? Safety, OL, RB, and WR I would like to see addressed.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
So we still have 4.111, 5.171, 7.240, 7.248 and 7.250 left. Where are you placing your priorities? Safety, OL, RB, and WR I would like to see addressed.
I think the safties left we kind of have that level so now that the stud ones are gone, I agree someone to compete at right guard, RB, WR (next year we have $$ issues so get a cheap guy), and a CB. Maybe a developmental swing tackle? I hope to never see us re-sign Chris Clark

RGV82

Random guy
I think the safties left we kind of have that level so now that the stud ones are gone, I agree someone to compete at right guard, RB, WR (next year we have $$ issues so get a cheap guy), and a CB. Maybe a developmental swing tackle? I hope to never see us re-sign Chris Clark
Good point on the safeties. My first 2 picks I was hoping for Edge and Safety - but now that most good safeties are gone, kinda loses priority.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would like to see us getting back in around the 190 - 200 mark. Burn next years 6th.
My targets would be either Gage Cervenka OL or Anthony McFarland RB.

RGV82

Random guy
I would like to see us getting back in around the 190 - 200 mark. Burn next years 6th.
My targets would be either Gage Cervenka OL or Anthony McFarland RB.
McFarland is good if you wanna wait to take a RB.... I think he will still be around late 5th or early 6th round. If we go RB in the 4th, or even 5th, Eno Benjamin or Lamical Perine would be better picks IMO.