Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Domanick Davis 1,000 yards or not

SheTexan said:
To answer the topic of this thread, he SHOULD make 1000 yds this season.

Agreed. With 168 yards to go, he needs to average 56 yards over the next three games. He's looking nice and healthy lately.

Actually I predict he'll get a hundred in each of the next 3 games. I don't see any reason why he won't do it. As has been pointed out many times in this thread if Davis gets his hundred but you can put a stop to AJ & Co. then you're going to win the game.

Until it's proved otherwise though I'm hoping for an 8-8 finish. The Texans slip by the Bears in a close one, the upset the Jags to get another two in row. Finally to end the season they beat the hapless, already planning their summer vacations Cleveland Browns to win three in a row for the first time ever.

(And everyone please just shut up about how unlikely this is to happen and leave me to my fantasy, I've only got 4 more days before the Chicago game to enjoy it and I know how unlikely it is. Show a fellow Texans fan some mercy and let me pretend for a while)

Once he is hit he goes down, and he doesnt have the swift feet like Sanders. He may be getting some yards, but they need a back that can get the extra yards and give other teams a scare.

I definately disagree about getting hit and going down. He might not punish people, but the way he keeps his legs churning, he rarely goes down on first contact. I like Dom, he's a hard worker. But the fact of the matter is, is he can't stay healthy. I was worried about it before this year, and unfortunately he's done nothing to prove me wrong. I think he will be a great third down back for us. Imagine how effective we could be with someone like Staley as our featured back and Dom coming in on third down. He could make the short yardage either running or receiving. Exactly what a third down back does. I just don't know if that will happen next year. But I'm pretty sure that there will be another back in here, so it may happen. I think Hollings has got to go. I'm so tired of seeing his name on the injury report every week, I could puke.

Gotta love my OSU boy :-)

So, football ignorance on my behalf (I just starting reading "Football for dummies" to pick up the finer points) what do our fullbacks (or any other teams') do? The only reason I know who they are is from the roster.

Do they legitimately ever carry the ball, or just block for DD and Wells?

Most fullbacks don't see the ball much. They are generally smaller, more athletic TE types who can put a helmet on defender in space and blow them up. They are mainly guys who are outstanding blockers.

If I remember correctly, last year DD led the league in yards after first contact. He is not an easy out for someone trying to tackle him, WHEN he is healthy.

TexansTrueFan said:
well Fiddy i have been listening to all your comments about Davis and i see where your coming from. And infact the same thing is happening with carr, oh and gaffney has not had big numbers this year either, ok sorry payne not enough sacks time to go, lets just fire them all because noone on the team has performed extremely well this year. So is it time to cut all the players and start over ????? NO because DAVIS (is a good back), Carr is a good QB. I'm just saying if we must talk bad than talk bad about the whole team, and ya dont think the O-line has anything to do with Davis's troulbles this season ? Barry Sanders couldnt even run behind the line we have had lately !
Gaff had a great start to the season after the first two games when Davis was out of the gameplan, Carr had his best moments when Davis wasnt part of the offense (1st half vs. 2nd half of the Minnesota game is the best example). Payne's job isnt to get sacks, its to tie up multiple blockers to get the LBs sacks (which hasnt happened because we have been rushing 3 and dropping 8) and he is coming back from an ACL...

Wolf said:
someone can prove me wrong,but when I see "keys to stopping" the Texans. I don't recall one being "stop Davis" I don't mean that in a bad way. It is that teams know that the more times it is in Davis' hands the less it will be in Aj,Gaffney or whoever and the defense doesn't have to put a special defender on Davis. That is why the Colts can play their Cover 2 and drop the MLB back and not worry that Davis is going to break one. Davis is a wonderful weapon when it is 3rd and short.. He can get the 3 yards and he can catch.
No one can prove you wrong but I have given stats in other threads to prove you right...

edo783 said:
If I remember correctly, last year DD led the league in yards after first contact. He is not an easy out for someone trying to tackle him, WHEN he is healthy.
No, that was AJ leading in yards after catch.

When Davis is playing really well he breaks some tackles. When he is not playing at his best he goes down the first time he is touched. And considering how easy it is for him to get "nicked up" he is rarely playing at his best.

As far as Ronnie Brown being a backup at Auburn just like Davis was a backup at LSU, consider who they were backing up. Brown would have been the starter if he had played at LSU the same time as Davis, while Davis would never have seen the field if he was at Auburn this year.

Back to the original point of this thread, I think Davis will get to a thousand yards as long as he doesn't catch a cold or get a paper cut. If either of those happen he might need to be out on injured reserve.

LOL, yes, back to the original point.

IF he plays all his remaining quarters, he'll get it.

Quit scoring Wells, I need fantasy points!

Back