Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Does Davis hit the hole too fast?

phan1

Rookie
Well, it seems like the past couple of games, Wells has had more success than DD. But when you look at tapes, there is no way that you could say Wells is a better back than DD. DD is a back that hits the hole at 100 mph, and his speed advantage is obvious. The difference is that Wells has had some holes to run through and Davis really hasn't. And after seeing this game, I think it's because Davis hits the hole too fast. It remind me of the Super Bowl Buccaneers where Pitman couldn't get any productivity early in the season because he was not patient. Maybe DD needs more patience to help open up some holes? I think some draw plays with a quick and fast back like DD would be good too.

Also, way to not give up on the run today! Carr would have been pummeled if we were throwing it every down. Our line is obviously not very good. We even had trouble handling a basic 4-man rush! I'm surprised that they didn't keep on blitzing on Carr after they got an easy 3-and-out on us in the 4th with just getting in Carr's face. We definitely need a more productive running game if we want to win more games and help Carr from being hit. Even averaging a modest 3.5 yrds/carry would help out a lot in managing football games. Right now, our running game is pretty dissappointing, and I think we're lucky that the Titans kept giving our run game a lot of respect throughout the game despite our meager run production.

I'm glad we have a bye week so guys can get healthy. Hopefully Wade, Hollings, and DD can come come out of the bye completely healthy. Then we'll see where our ground game is.

I disagree Phan1. Davis is good at waiting for the play to develop and then popping through a gap but Wells has traditionally been the guy to run right up his blockers behind before a hole even appears. This season Wells seems to have that mostly in check and corrected (along with his old standby the "dancing in the backfield until the defender brings him down" bit).

Wells is running with more authority this season but I still don't think he's got anywhere near the vision that Davis showed us last season when he was rolling. It's been a real flat year for DD so far. If he gets back to doing what he's good at and can put the awful start of the season behind him though the Texans will hit another gear (which will be really cool to see)

rittenhouserobz said:
Do you think DD is just having the sophmore jinx? I am sure he has not forgotten how to play the position.

I think DD got off to a real stinker of a start this season (and the rest of the Texans did too) and it got inside his head. Now obviously I don't know this to be fact but I strongly suspect that much more of this game is mental than we fans can ever truly understand. I think DD had a nightmare against San Diego and then it happened again at Detroit. That was it for him for a while. He hasn't been the same since. Toss in some nagging injuries when he's trying to prove that he isn't "fragile" and then put a hundred yard game from Jonathan Wells on top of it all. I'm sure DD is happy the Texans won that game and I don't doubt he's also happy for Jonathan but Domanick was planning on a monster follow up to his break out year and instead he's now watching someone else get a hundred?

This is the kind of challenge that will test whether or not he can mentally handle the job. We know he can physically do it. We've seen him do it. Now he needs to settle down, then step back up and do it again.

I really don't see a sophomore jinx, because every time he gets a carry, I see him with lots of speed. Like I said, he hits the hole with a lot of speed and intensity and still does every time he touches the ball. It's just that there's nothing there for him and I have no idea why. He's always stuffed at the line of scrimmage. Wells on the other hand has been able to find some room. What the hell is wrong with our running game?

Personally I think DD isn't 100% and can't hit the holes like he did last year. He's been battling various legs injuries since training camp. And here's some food for thought, Do you think Wells is playing good cause its a "contract year" for him?

I dont really know what to think about D.D so far because if you look around the leauge this year their are so many young first year running backs having success so far ! I still like Davis and i know he is a player maybe its just a slump and i think he will come out of it ok in the end !

Back