Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dissecting the Eagles game.

I see both sides, but what if it takes three first downs instead of a long TD to Smith, then the clock management was perfect. We can disect either side of this. I tend to agree to have waited, but the TO management is not what led to the loss, The defense gave up 5 benjamins of passing and an absurd 3rd and 4th down conversion rate

Whoever had the ball at the end wins. So we could complain to DW4 for being too good

The last timeout to ice the kicker was called too early. The kicker wasn’t even setup. lol

Yeah b/c you know....icing the kicker...that always works....:rolleyes:

Lots of jumping to conclusions & picking of knits in here about 1-2 individual differences in strategy that don’t/didn’t make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of the game......” if he did this or called this play, this woulda/coulda happened..”....retarded ass logic.

Here’s a thought: how’s about the defense just STOP them on 1 of 2 of the 3rd and very long conversions the eagles had late in the game???......:bomb:

Yeah b/c you know....icing the kicker...that always works....:rolleyes:

Lots of jumping to conclusions & picking of knits in here about 1-2 individual differences in strategy that don’t/didn’t make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of the game......” if he did this or called this play, this woulda/coulda happened..”....retarded ass logic.

Here’s a thought: how’s about the defense just STOP them on 1 of 2 of the 3rd and very long conversions the eagles had late in the game???......:bomb:
Hindsight is 20/20.
In real time, you only get one split second shot. Football players are human and prone to mistakes like the rest of us.
Still it gives us armchair coaches and GMs something to talk about.

A four minute drill doesn't invole using timeouts early. You're trying to burn time. Could called the exact same plays without the timeouts and the D wouldn't have had to hold as long. That's always a good thing but doubly so when the opposing O has veen playing pitch & catch all day.

We couldn't run the ball. & still struggled to move the ball down the field. I thought we were going to need every second to score. I liked that he called the time outs when he did. More so that the defense got the stop we needed.

I was completely shocked we threw a 40+ yard TD (or whatever it was).

It would have been a lot worse had we needed 4 minutes to score & only had 3:44

Yes. Alot is whining but the coaching was good, just didn't work out in our favor. Even with injuries Texans playe tough against Eagles and Colts.

Don't think they wanted to play Foreman at all but when they sidelined Miller with his injury then they had no choice. I'm hoping he can "knock the rust off" quickly and get back to something close to what he was last year.

I don't think they wanted to play him at all this season …. but their hand was forced on the matter due to injuries at the position.

As for knocking the rust off …. that'll come with time. There's a big difference between being in shape / rehabbed and being in NFL game shape. He probably feels good physically but just doesn't have the explosiveness … it'll come , just not overnight.

I'm not mad at them for this loss …. the offense just isn't very good and Watson made enough plays to give them a chance That's the story of this offense , Watson pulls a rabbit outa his hat or they give the ball to the opposition .... and the defense played as well as can be expected when the secondary is as thin as it is. A couple more pieces and they are a real solid team - LT and a solid corner , hopefully they can resign Mathieu and keep Clowney in the offseason , they'll be a tough out for any opponent. Next year is super bowl or bust.

(Son of a b!tch , who are you and what did you do with Corrosion ? You sound like a homer!)

Reactions: JB
My Observations:
*We couldn't stop the Eagles on 3rd and 4th down.
*We can't cover good tight ends.
*We can't run the ball because the OL can't open holes and Alfred Blue has the moves of a tree.
*Deshaun Watson is great.
*I still can't figure out why we released Bruce Ellington - how's that working out?

My Observations:
*We couldn't stop the Eagles on 3rd and 4th down.
*We can't cover good tight ends.
*We can't run the ball because the OL can't open holes and Alfred Blue has the moves of a tree.
*Deshaun Watson is great.
*I still can't figure out why we released Bruce Ellington - how's that working out?

In defense of the Texans defense …. Nobody has been able to corral that guy all year. He broke the receiving record by a TE and still has another game to go. Yeah , he roasted the Texans LBers & everyone else he's faced too.

Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to a guy and say job well done …. Ertz deserves that.

Not gonna knock Blue either …. he's a bigger back and a backup. Dude's averaged 3.3ypc for the season and gave you 3.5ypc in that game. You put that guy in a starters role and I expect him to struggle. He's the guy you give the ball to on 3rd and short or goal line situations , not every down expecting him to keep you on schedule.

They also have an embarrassment of riches at QB …. sh!t I wish we had a backup as good as Foles.

Watson gave his best Houdini impression on a few of those drop backs …. but the story of this offense all year has been Watson making a big play to keep a drive going or 3 and out.

Hard for me to complain about being on the road playing a team fighting for its playoff life and losing at the buzzer when you were playing guys you signed last week at WR and some end of the roster / special teams guys at CB because of injuries to multiple starters.

Hell I wont even complain about OB …. other than one drive where he went 3 and out after getting a turnover near mid field …. and usually I'm ready to run him out of town tarred and feathered.

Would have been nice to win that one now you just have to take care of business within the division …. and kick yourself for losing to the Giants earlier in the season , that's one you should have won.

In defense of the Texans defense …. Nobody has been able to corral that guy all year. He broke the receiving record by a TE and still has another game to go. Yeah , he roasted the Texans LBers & everyone else he's faced too.

Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to a guy and say job well done …. Ertz deserves that.

Not gonna knock Blue either …. he's a bigger back and a backup. Dude's averaged 3.3ypc for the season and gave you 3.5ypc in that game. You put that guy in a starters role and I expect him to struggle. He's the guy you give the ball to on 3rd and short or goal line situations , not every down expecting him to keep you on schedule.

They also have an embarrassment of riches at QB …. sh!t I wish we had a backup as good as Foles.

Watson gave his best Houdini impression on a few of those drop backs …. but the story of this offense all year has been Watson making a big play to keep a drive going or 3 and out.

Hard for me to complain about being on the road playing a team fighting for its playoff life and losing at the buzzer when you were playing guys you signed last week at WR and some end of the roster / special teams guys at CB because of injuries to multiple starters.

Hell I wont even complain about OB …. other than one drive where he went 3 and out after getting a turnover near mid field …. and usually I'm ready to run him out of town tarred and feathered.

Would have been nice to win that one now you just have to take care of business within the division …. and kick yourself for losing to the Giants earlier in the season , that's one you should have won.

Corrosion, glad to see you're in the Christmas spirit of forgiving! :)

I'm not expecting them to go very far in the playoffs but who knows. There's been more than one team in the past to make it there that no one gave a chance in the playoffs. A lucky bounce here or there and they could get there and even win! But realistically, I'm not holding my breath for any of that. Just take it day by day and know the Texans will be better next season if they can fill a few holes!

Corrosion, glad to see you're in the Christmas spirit of forgiving! :)

I wont go so far as to say forgiving , just having realistic expectations …. I still want OB run out of town tarred and feathered. Just not for what he did in that particular game.

I'm not expecting them to go very far in the playoffs but who knows. There's been more than one team in the past to make it there that no one gave a chance in the playoffs. A lucky bounce here or there and they could get there and even win! But realistically, I'm not holding my breath for any of that. Just take it day by day and know the Texans will be better next season if they can fill a few holes!

I didn't have high expectations for this team coming into the season … too many holes particularly on the OL and being so thin at CB.
Watson's a hell of a player and has made just enough plays to give them a chance most weeks.

I thought from the end of last season that next year - 2019/20 is their year (I said that when they drafted Watson - two seasons of growing pains). Watson has some seasoning and recovery time and Gaine has time to fix the biggest holes on the roster. If they win a game this post season , wonderful …. if not I didn't really expect a deep run.

Next year however - Its Super Bowl or BUST and I'll be my usual critical self - no forgiving , forgetting or playing nice.

I wont go so far as to say forgiving , just having realistic expectations …. I still want OB run out of town tarred and feathered. Just not for what he did in that particular game.

I didn't have high expectations for this team coming into the season … too many holes particularly on the OL and being so thin at CB.
Watson's a hell of a player and has made just enough plays to give them a chance most weeks.

I thought from the end of last season that next year - 2019/20 is their year (I said that when they drafted Watson - two seasons of growing pains). Watson has some seasoning and recovery time and Gaine has time to fix the biggest holes on the roster. If they win a game this post season , wonderful …. if not I didn't really expect a deep run.

Next year however - Its Super Bowl or BUST and I'll be my usual critical self - no forgiving , forgetting or playing nice.

If they start 2 rookie OT's and 2 rookie CB's will you still be a SB or bust guy?

If they start 2 rookie OT's and 2 rookie CB's will you still be a SB or bust guy?

Probably not ... that's a tall task.

I don't see that as a very realistic scenario tho.

JJo should be back & Colvin is a decent #3. What happens with KJax ?! corner / safety , whatever you want to call it - he plays both & Mathieu only signed a one year deal …. Lot of money to spend if they want to keep Clowney , KJax & Mathieu … don't know the cap situation - if they have the space available.

Henderson & Lamm both free agents but I think Davenport has gotten better as the season has worn on - I'm alright with continuing that experiment.

I could see realistically rookie at tackle and one corner but not 2 of each. Depending on the cap situation , we might see free agent signings at one or both sport.

I'll have to do some research on the cap situation and available free agents …. its early to be talking about the draft / free agency.

Last edited:
Back