Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Did I miss a thread on new Texan Josh Jones?

Well, it looks like whether we're talking about Green or Stingley the Texans are going through the same growing pains they always have. Draft or sign promising players and watch them sit on IR for weeks (or even seasons) at a time. Right now is about the time Mike Holovak would have gone out and shaken a few trees to find a promising center like for instance Jim Romano or maybe even Charlie Casserly would have gone and grabbed a Steve McKinney (or Rick Smith finding Chris Meyers). There's a guy out there somewhere right now who could come in and solidify the OL and fix this problem. You think Stroud is going to be the guy? You really believe in him? Then go slightly over pay for the guy you need to make it happen because you trot out a JAG to hold the middle together and you might as well be signing up for another damaged rookie who is gone in four years.
Isn't that exactly what he's done and is doing though?

Double dipped at C/G in the draft (Scruggs + Pattersson)
Picked up a free agent flyer (Deiter)
Traded for a guy (Green)

It really feels like there's some kind of built up angst within the fanbase and the season just needs to start. Unfortunately the opening game is Baltimore so I'm prepared to hear about how we're the worst team of all time when we lose to them (as expected) and then hear how there was some amazing vision all along when we beat the Colts. When the truth is really somewhere inbetween.

That said this is the Josh Jones thread - another proactive move made to help preemptively stock up the o-line cupboard.

Well, it looks like whether we're talking about Green or Stingley the Texans are going through the same growing pains they always have. Draft or sign promising players and watch them sit on IR for weeks (or even seasons) at a time. Right now is about the time Mike Holovak would have gone out and shaken a few trees to find a promising center like for instance Jim Romano or maybe even Charlie Casserly would have gone and grabbed a Steve McKinney (or Rick Smith finding Chris Meyers). There's a guy out there somewhere right now who could come in and solidify the OL and fix this problem. You think Stroud is going to be the guy? You really believe in him? Then go slightly over pay for the guy you need to make it happen because you trot out a JAG to hold the middle together and you might as well be signing up for another damaged rookie who is gone in four years.

Greens injury is unfortunate, bad luck, Stingley on the other hand had a very extensive history coming in, it can’t really be said that that it was bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my doubts. Then again everything where the Texans are concerned boils down for me at least into "I'll believe it when I see it". I always think the worst and hopefully I'm wrong often.
Unfortunately in Texans history you are rarely wrong.

Has there been any indication of what the projected starting OL will be with after all the cuts and all the new signings???
With who is on the roster whats our best projected OL we can patch together until Howard and Scruggs come back???

It really feels like there's some kind of built up angst within the fanbase
ya-think-professor-sheldon-oberon.gif

When I woke up this morning this oline was on my mind.
We got troubles whoa-oh..
We got worries whoa-oh.

Team doctors have wounds to bind!

So I went to this message board just to ease my pains..

Didn't work, I must-have been insane whoa-oh.

I got a feeling down in my sho-oo-oes, way down in my shoes.

Yeah, I got to ramble, whoa-oh.
I got to move on to next draft.
I got to walk away my blues.

Perhaps some older here will remember We Five?

Sigh, probably not.

When I woke up this morning this oline was on my mind.
We got troubles whoa-oh..
We got worries whoa-oh.

Team doctors have wounds to bind!

So I went to this message board just to ease my pains..

Didn't work, I must-have been insane whoa-oh.

I got a feeling down in my sho-oo-oes, way down in my shoes.

Yeah, I got to ramble, whoa-oh.
I got to move on to next draft.
I got to walk away my blues.

Perhaps some older here will remember We Five?

Sigh, probably not.

Video unavailable.

Whoa-oh.

I think our best plan for protecting the QB until the line is healthy:
View attachment 12550

To be fair I didn't see a whole lot of the snaps in preseason but what I did see.... anything more than a polite girlscout may give them troubles.
Starting oline looked great in the second and third preseason game, starting oline was not out there first game.

Has there been any indication of what the projected starting OL will be with after all the cuts and all the new signings???
With who is on the roster whats our best projected OL we can patch together until Howard and Scruggs come back???
There hasn’t been any indication but here’s my guess

LT- Tunsil
LG- Deiter
C- Patterson (just based off him having the time in the playbook)
RG- Mason
RT-Fant

Once Howard and Scruggs are back (could be as early as week 1 for Howard) I’d expect them to fill back in. Hard to say though maybe the staff really like Jones or Kendrick instead at one of those spots.

Josh Jones currently starting at LG per team’s unofficial depth chart. I would love for him to take control of that role and earn a starter’s contract with the team.

I don’t care who they put there, they just need to solve the left guard position. Jones is plenty talented.

Jones and Tytus Howard were similar prospects and were rated closely as NFL Draft prospects by Lance Zierlein. Both were shuffled around to start their NFL careers at multiple positions on the OL.

I’d like to see the team stick him at LG and let him develop into a bonafide starting OL. If the team is putting it’s 5 best OL on the field, Jones will be out there week 1.

Back