Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Did anyone notice yesterday...

texan279

Hall of Fame
that the coaches were putting Wand in on running plays and Washington or Spears (I can't remember which one) in on pass plays? I watched the game and listened to it on KILT, I was in and out of the house all day, the guys on KILT noticed it right away, near the end of the first quarter I think. They couldn't hardly believe it that our coaches were taking a chance on tipping off there defense so easily.

Watching the game didn'yt see them switching out very much, I don't recall TV guys on CBS saying anything about a change until Weigert got hurt and came out of game then they mentioned Spears coming into replace him

Watching the game didn't see them switching out very much, I don't recall TV guys on CBS saying anything about a change until Weigert got hurt and came out of game then they mentioned Spears coming into replace him

I didn't noitce it either until the radio guys said something about and I started paying attention and sure enough they were switching off on run and pass plays. They were both interviewed on FOX Sports Extra I think and they were both said "We were just doing what coach told us to do". In fact Wand said "I want to be in there for every play, all the time, but I gotta do what coach says."

I find this odd. Teams are going to pick up on this in no time. I am surprised the Bears didn't. Who knows, maybe they did and that is why our offense struggled for awhile in the second half. I mean those 2 were on and off of the field like every play was a change of possession. It was ridiculous after awhile.

Im starting to think that Capers doesnt really care if he broadcasts his plays to the opponent.

The Steelers and Dolphins arent big on being tricky either. They just say "we are running it up the middle, try and stop me"

The difference is that they have(or had) the personel to do that and be successful. we just end up getting slapped around sometimes.

Guess what, if it's 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, 4th and 12, etc., everyone in the world knows your going to pass, so why not bring in the better pass blocking tackle? or do you enjoy seeing Carr getting the #$E^&#% knocked out of him.

They were bringing in Spears on 1st and 10 when they would run a 1st down pass play. And I do believe we ran a draw on 3rd and long. I just don't think you understand the point. By the way IMO, bringing in Spears seemed to make our pass blocking worse. It seemed like 80% of the time Carr was pressured it was from the left side of the line and it forced him to roll to his right, so did it really help that much anyway? What did we get? We basically told the defense what we were going to run on offense, then the left side of the O line folds in 2 seconds. :bouncey: That really worked out well.

Maybe they won't do it anymore since they can see what Freeney did to Ogden this week. Freeney was even better than we all thought, so Wand is not as bad as he looked against the Colts.

I say let them play and tinker with the oline until they get it right. It can't get any worse. The offense did not have a bad game considering the weather and a fairly decent bear defense. I don't think this rotation hurt us this game. Now if it continues, then, teams will see the trend and it may not be effective down the road. Bottom line is, if Wand cannot improve his pass blocking, he needs to stay on the sideline. He does not appear to be very fast and this position is critical for us to get to the next level.

I say let them play and tinker with the oline until they get it right. It can't get any worse. The offense did not have a bad game considering the weather and a fairly decent bear defense. I don't think this rotation hurt us this game. Now if it continues, then, teams will see the trend and it may not be effective down the road. Bottom line is, if Wand cannot improve his pass blocking, he needs to stay on the sideline. He does not appear to be very fast and this position is critical for us to get to the next level.

I am not trying to start an argument here, and I agree we need to fix this O line before next season. But you can't tip off the opposing defense as to what type of play you are going to run. IMO I do not think Wand is horrible at LT, but he's not the best either. Freeney owned him 2 weekends ago but like HJam said, Ogden couldn't do much either against Freeney. I might be wrong, but the Colts game is the only game I can remember where Wand got dominated for most of the game. I think our #1 concern at this point is our O line. I don't know if our defense was that good or the Bears offense was that bad, but honestly I think it was a little of both. Our defense did snatch 4 turnovers and our offense did not commit 1 turnover the entire game. IMO our offense holding onto the ball the entire game was pretty damn impressive considering the weather. I might be wrong about the offense not turning the ball over though, I am going off of memory, not stats. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on here... :soapbox:

Did Capers discuss this on his radio show today? I get some bad reception at times down here and today all i got was static. I'm sure this topic must have come up.

I didn't catch the radio show, I just remember the radio announcers mentioning this in the first quarter. And they did have a piece on it last night on Fox Sports Extra.

profan said:
Did Capers discuss this on his radio show today? I get some bad reception at times down here and today all i got was static. I'm sure this topic must have come up.

What radio show is this all you keep talking about? I'm not big on the radio and get all my info off the TV. Internet or Newspaper.

On mondays at 5:00 pm, dom capers is on 610 am taking questions from the callers. He's on for about on hour i believe. Carr is on same station at 7:00 am on mondays.

Back