Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Dez Bryant Cut

It was a catch in general, but at the time it wasn't due to the NFL rules that most would agree were pretty bad at the time. It would be a catch now.

And I am in disagreement.

I think if you are going to make the stretch for the touchdown and don’t make there needs to be a risk reward relationship. You make the reach, you don’t get it, AND if you lose control of the ball no catch.

I don’t like the rule on running plays that once the nose of the ball crosses the goal line it’s a TD. If you make the reach but fumble it immediately after then it’s a fumble. David Carr had a play like that and it still irks me.

To me, it equates to a participation award now. “You didn’t make the goal and lost control? Oh here is a completed catch for you. Better luck next time little Johnny.”

But let’s not pretend Dez’s incomplete catch cost the Cowboys the game. Aaron Rodgers was throwing bullets and on fire that game. It’s sad Dez’s play is talked more about Rodger’s bullet he threw for first down to save the game that day. A play he drew up in the huddle.

Amazing play.

And I am in disagreement.

I think if you are going to make the stretch for the touchdown and don’t make there needs to be a risk reward relationship. You make the reach, you don’t get it, AND if you lose control of the ball no catch.

I don’t like the rule on running plays that once the nose of the ball crosses the goal line it’s a TD. If you make the reach but fumble it immediately after then it’s a fumble. David Carr had a play like that and it still irks me.

To me, it equates to a participation award now. “You didn’t make the goal and lost control? Oh here is a completed catch for you. Better luck next time little Johnny.”

But let’s not pretend Dez’s incomplete catch cost the Cowboys the game. Aaron Rodgers was throwing bullets and on fire that game. It’s sad Dez’s play is talked more about Rodger’s bullet he threw for first down to save the game that day. A play he drew up in the huddle.

Amazing play.

He had already caught the ball and made the play. Him stretching over should have been a fumble if anything. A lot of my teams have benefitted from this stupid rule over the years, but it didn't make it any less stupid. Me being a Cowboys "hater" I got a good laugh when this happened, but I still knew they got hosed and didn't like that part of the game screwing the players on the field. Either way, they've changed the rule now. It will be a catch in the future.

I heard from a reliable source that Dez Bryant is leaning towards signing with the Houston Texans. But I don't want to jinx it so I'll just say that he'll end up signing with the Ravens just to anti-jinx what I heard.
Jinx it! Pleeease jinx it!
I'm sorry but when a guy starts going "they did this to me" instead of "what can I do to stay on the team" he's not an ingredient I want to add to my "team chemistry".

He had already caught the ball and made the play. Him stretching over should have been a fumble if anything. A lot of my teams have benefitted from this stupid rule over the years, but it didn't make it any less stupid. Me being a Cowboys "hater" I got a good laugh when this happened, but I still knew they got hosed and didn't like that part of the game screwing the players on the field. Either way, they've changed the rule now. It will be a catch in the future.

It was until it wasn’t.

Slap a Texans unit on this suckah! Done! Cause....................... I mean.............. WHY THE HELL NOT!!!???

No reason not to get Dez. He has something to prove we got something to prove. That team chemistry right there. :stooges:

Who in their right mind would not want a Red Zone monster like Dez? This needs to happen. Gaine make this happen and we got a legit shot at that Lombardi.

Slap a Texans unit on this suckah! Done! Cause....................... I mean.............. WHY THE HELL NOT!!!???

No reason not to get Dez. He has something to prove we got something to prove. That team chemistry right there. :stooges:

Who in their right mind would not want a Red Zone monster like Dez? This needs to happen. Gaine make this happen and we got a legit shot at that Lombardi.

There are redzone receivers in the draft that will cost less, younger, can be signed long term, and won't have an ego that outscales his performance on the field.

Why is this thread still active? I'd rather take my chances with TO than Dez Bryant. Bryant isn't talented enough to hold TO's jock.

Dez is a very poor man's Irvin. Mouthy as he was Michael could work a DB to death. In his ear, in his hip, he owned DBs. Dez thought he put the jersey on and they were the same. They weren't. Never were and now certainly never will be.

Gotta be tough to put that jersey on. Dez never thought it was. Thought he earned it before game one. He was wrong.

Fuller and Hopkins had great things going with DW. Why mess that up?

Not saying I want them to sign Dez or that Dez is a #1, but I will never understand the line of thinking that signing a WR! will somehow hurt the passing game. Having a WR1 to go with Nuk/Fuller would make this passing game deadly. I mean look how much better it looked after Ellington replaced Busty Miller. Add a guy much better than Miller and look out.

Speaking of Miller's I wish they had the draft capital to draft Anthony Miller. (They dont) Putting A.Miller with Nuk/Fuller would be really fun to watch.

Not saying I want them to sign Dez or that Dez is a #1, but I will never understand the line of thinking that signing a WR! will somehow hurt the passing game. Having a WR1 to go with Nuk/Fuller would make this passing game deadly. I mean look how much better it looked after Ellington replaced Busty Miller. Add a guy much better than Miller and look out.

Speaking of Miller's I wish they had the draft capital to draft Anthony Miller. (They dont) Putting A.Miller with Nuk/Fuller would be really fun to watch.

Two words - Ed Reed. Doesn’t have to be a WR.

Will Dez bring something to make this team better in some way? I am not seeing it. Better to focus on the draft.

Dez is NOT a WR1 anymore. If the last three years have not shown that I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s not a “red zone monster” anymore either. For gods sake some of you guys hear a familiar name and that’s all it takes. He’s past his prime. He’s done. Let it go.

Last edited:
Dez is NOT a WR1 anymore. If the last three years have not shown that I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s not a “red zone monster” anymore either. For gods sake some of you guys hear a familiar name and that’s all it takes. He’s past his prime. He’s done. Let it go.

Did you see the part of my post that said I wasn't sure I would sign him but would bring him in for a look?

Last I checked we already had a #1 WR.

Did you see the part of my post that said I wasn't sure I would sign him but would bring him in for a look?
I see the "not sure I would sign him" part but I'm struggling to find the "would bring him in for a look" piece.
Who would want 2 guys capable of being WR1's?

People get caught up in monikers.

# Chris Carter/Randy Moss, Which HOFer was the WR1?
the old guy in me wants to say Carter
...but Moss was really the WR1 in that offense and Carter was the possession guy.

I see the "not sure I would sign him" part but I'm struggling to find the "would bring him in for a look" piece.

the old guy in me wants to say Carter
...but Moss was really the WR1 in that offense and Carter was the possession guy.

It's upthread.

Moss was the WR1. # Fear

But Dez isn’t capable of being a #1 anymore so point is irrelevant.

We'll see about that.

I tend to agree with you, he wasn't fast to begin with and his foot injury sapped even more of his speed. Plus Dak isn't good at throwing people open and that's something Dez really needs at this stage of his career.

He still would be a better option as a WR #3 than Miller/Ellington.

Dez has to learn a full route tree before he can be anyone's anything. At his age with his measureables not able to hold him up anymore, running 9 routes and quick slants aint gonna get it done.

I would jump all over this opportunity for a one year prove it deal with a guy like Dez.

I see great opportunity here. I just hope it happens.

Dez has to learn a full route tree before he can be anyone's anything. At his age with his measureables not able to hold him up anymore, running 9 routes and quick slants aint gonna get it done.
What about when the Texans are inside the red zone and DeAndre Hopkins is going to be well covered a majority of the time? I want another big and strong body out there that can out leap the smaller DBs for a one on one ball on a simple fade route in the corner of the end zone. Something Dez Bryant has been elite at since his high school and college days.

A guy that has scored 12, 13 and 16 Touchdowns in an NFL season before. Even 8 TD catches and 6 TD catches the past two seasons in what were considered a couple of down years for him coming off his injury-plagued season in 2015.

Dez Bryant just has to make big plays. That will win games! Especially if he's seeing a lot of single man coverages. I doubt defenses are going to be focusing their attention on him with Nuk Hopkins on the other side. We may see more zone coverages with a lot of dangerous playmakers on offense.

Hopefully Will Fuller can stay healthy in 2018. But right now I don't have much confidence in our #2 to #6 wide receivers. We have no depth at the position, in my honest opinion, and if more injuries occur we're still in the same boat of needing a bunch of no name guys to step up. I love me some Bruce Ellington but I didn't even know who the heck he was prior to last year.

Dez Bryant would be a welcomed addition for me.
A successful and productive guy with a lot to prove.

Nobody is saying to break the bank for him. Not at all. A lot of people would like to see a one year "prove it" deal between Dez Bryant and the Houston Texans. No different than what another former All Pro player had received, aka the Honey Badger.

It's funny how people talk about Dez Bryant in a negative manner. People that have never even played in the NFL. But yet we see DeAndre Hopkins, the Honey Badger and several other of the best Texans players heavily recruiting Dez Bryant. Why would they want Dez on the team? He has to offer something worth taking a chance on don't you think?

If Deshaun Watson wants Dez Bryant then I'm cool with it.
I could care less what "Joe Somebody" on the couch thinks.

What about when the Texans are inside the red zone and DeAndre Hopkins is going to be well covered a majority of the time? I want another big and strong body out there that can out leap the smaller DBs for a one on one ball on a simple fade route in the corner of the end zone. Something Dez Bryant has been elite at since his high school and college days.
O'Brien uses J.J.Watt for that.
:)

First, show me where DeShaun Watson was lobbying for Dez to come here. I can't find it. Honey Badger and D-Hop did. But I can't find where Watson lobbied for Dez

Next, I cannot forget Dez's 'look at me' antics on the sidelines. Do you really think he's fundamentally changed? I don't.
Maybe seeing Andre Johnson just come to work and not do the diva stuff for so many years (except for that last season) spoiled me, but that's what I want to see. Come to work, be all about the team. I'm not convinced that's Dez's M.O.

However, having said all that... IF he'll actually sign an incentive laden, prove-it deal, AND legitimately beat out the other guys, and not just be handed a spot because he's 'Dez' then sure why not see what he has left.

Michael Irvin was a showboat. I like AJ type players better. But Irvin was good. And he was always team 1st. Wanted his limelight but winning is what mattered.

IMO he changed the position and paved the way for AJ, Calvin, etc.

He was very respectful of the jersey he wore. He was honored to wear Pearson's number. "He was the playmaker before me." Not sure Dez ever appreciated those who came before.

A guy that has scored 12, 13 and 16 Touchdowns in an NFL season before. Even 8 TD catches and 6 TD catches the past two seasons in what were considered a couple of down years for him coming off his injury-plagued season in 2015.

Dez Bryant just has to make big plays. That will win games! Especially if he's seeing a lot of single man coverages. I doubt defenses are going to be focusing their attention on him with Nuk Hopkins on the other side. We may see more zone coverages with a lot of dangerous playmakers on offense.

Hopefully Will Fuller can stay healthy in 2018. But right now I don't have much confidence in our #2 to #6 wide receivers. We have no depth at the position, in my honest opinion, and if more injuries occur we're still in the same boat of needing a bunch of no name guys to step up. I love me some Bruce Ellington but I didn't even know who the heck he was prior to last year.

Dez Bryant would be a welcomed addition for me.
A successful and productive guy with a lot to prove.

Nobody is saying to break the bank for him. Not at all. A lot of people would like to see a one year "prove it" deal between Dez Bryant and the Houston Texans. No different than what another former All Pro player had received, aka the Honey Badger.

It's funny how people talk about Dez Bryant in a negative manner. People that have never even played in the NFL. But yet we see DeAndre Hopkins, the Honey Badger and several other of the best Texans players heavily recruiting Dez Bryant. Why would they want Dez on the team? He has to offer something worth taking a chance on don't you think?

Hopkins and Badger are the ones that are lobbying for Dez Bryant. D. Watson hasn't said anything to the media about wanting Dez. But I'm pretty certain, he wouldn't be opposed to having another lethal redzone target to utilize in the red zone.

I'd kick the tires at the right price point ..... but not backing the brinks truck up at his house by any means. 3y/$12m with some incentives and team options for the 2nd and 3rd.

All Dez Bryant wants is a one year "prove it" deal where he can showcase he's still a premier wide receiver in the game, and then he can earn a big multi-year contract next off-season. Apparently none of the multi-year offers were to his liking salary wise. Which explains why he turned down the Ravens multi-year offer.

All the Texans have to do is offer him a lucrative one year deal and he'll sign here. We have the cap space so why not? I heard he was leaning toward signing with the Texans so that's a good sign that he turned down a multi-year offer from the Ravens. Although I wouldn't rule out the Ravens, Packers or Giants just yet.

Any team can offer a large one year contract.
So essentially you can't really rule out any team.
Well, besides the Dallas Cowboys of course. LOL
Jerry Jones repeated yesterday he's not coming back.

Dez Bryant will make his decision after the NFL Draft.

So stay tuned...

I'll be super excited if we can sign both Dez Bryant and Adrian Peterson to one year deals. Make a strong Super Bowl run in 2018. How often are we going to have such a great chance to assemble former All Pro talent like that? Guys that would enjoy playing here. That would allow us to focus our entire draft, the little we may have of it, on offensive line depth and perhaps another tight end. I was disappointed we weren't more aggressive in trying to sign Jimmy Graham early in free agency. I hated to see him end up with the Packers.

All Dez Bryant wants is a one year "prove it" deal where he can showcase he's still a premier wide receiver in the game, and then he can earn a big multi-year contract next off-season. Apparently none of the multi-year offers were to his liking salary wise. Which explains why he turned down the Ravens multi-year offer.

All the Texans have to do is offer him a lucrative one year deal and he'll sign here. We have the cap space so why not? I heard he was leaning toward signing with the Texans so that's a good sign that he turned down a multi-year offer from the Ravens. Although I wouldn't rule out the Ravens, Packers or Giants just yet.

So stay tuned...
What part of this saga isn't saying, "me, me, me" to you? He'll steal our money then go full mercenary

....just like Bouye did after we offered him an extension (something we rarely do) before his contract was up

What part of this saga isn't saying, "me, me, me" to you? He'll steal our money then go full mercenary

....just like Bouye did after we offered him an extension (something we rarely do) before his contract was up
If he can help us overtake the Jaguars in the AFC South and perhaps make a deep playoff run, even win a Super Bowl, I'm all for his one year deal here in H-Town. If healthy the Texans could become a legitimate Super Bowl contender this year. We have the talent to win a Lombardi trophy but we haven't had any luck staying healthy.

The honey badger is only committed to one year here as well. Why would any Texans fan be complaining about good players signing here for one year following a 4-12 season? What money is he going to steal on a one year deal? We have the cap space to digest any one year deal so it's worth the gamble to me.

I'll be super excited if we can sign both Dez Bryant and Adrian Peterson to one year deals. Make a strong Super Bowl run in 2018. How often are we going to have such a great chance to assemble former All Pro talent like that? Guys that would enjoy playing here. That would allow us to focus our entire draft, the little we may have of it, on offensive line depth and perhaps another tight end. I was disappointed we weren't more aggressive in trying to sign Jimmy Graham early in free agency. I hated to see him end up with the Packers.
They are both over-the-hill has beens, big-names from the past.

If we are going to assemble former All-Pro talent these guys are pretty weak. Let's go big time: for WR Don Hutson and Jerry Rice, for RB Red Grange and Jim Brown.

If we are going to assemble former All-Pro talent these guys are pretty weak. Let's go big time: for WR Don Hutson and Jerry Rice, for RB Red Grange and Jim Brown.
Hey, don't forget to improve the O-line too....

Anthony Munoz T
Bruce Matthews G
Jim Otto C
Larry Allen (pains me to put a Cowboy in here :D but the dude was bad) G
Jonathan Ogden T
:D

Reactions: Max

So stay tuned...

You know what? We have a "premier wide receiver" on this team and he gets the looks. Dez won't sign a one year "prove it" deal with the Houston Texans because the guy getting all the opportunities to keep proving it is already on our roster and his name is DeAndre Hopkins. That just isn't going to change.

Dez wants to prove he's still a #1 which means he's going to try and go to a team that needs a #1 and that will give him all the touches (or chances at them) that a #1 gets. Houston isn't even going to be on his radar and for that I'm truly grateful.

What he needs is a WR needy team, hopefully with a quality QB. He wants a one year deal because he doesn't want to get stuck on whatever team he signs with unless it's on his terms. He thought he might be able to find that in the Giants because talk was the OBJ was wearing out his welcome. Not happening it turns out (at least not yet) and so they don't need or want him.

Last edited:
What is with this "one year prove it" deal stuff people keep clamoring for as if it's some sort of real thing.

Who signs that? Someone who is young and coming off of an injury that still has to show teams that they can play in the NFL.

You guys think that Dez Bryant is going to sign some sort of low ball deal at this age where he has to prove that he can play at a high level just to get a big deal later? And what would be the odds that any other team would step up and pay Dez big money after that knowing that he'd be in his 30's? Very low odds, so Dez would have very little motivation to even consider that. He's looking for a long term deal with another team, not some laughable one year prove it deal where some team gets him for dirt cheap. If that's the case any team might do that. You aren't exactly suggesting anything creative or substantial by doing that. You could apply that logic to any FA in the league.

You know what? We have a "premier wide receiver" on this team and he gets the looks. Dez won't sign a one year "prove it" deal with the Houston Texans because the guy getting all the opportunities to keep proving it is already on our roster and his name is DeAndre Hopkins. That just isn't going to change.

Dez wants to prove he's still a #1 which means he's going to try and go to a team that needs a #1 and that will give him all the touches (or chances at them) that a #1 gets. Houston isn't even going to be on his radar and for that I'm truly grateful.

What he needs is a WR needy team, hopefully with a quality QB. He wants a one year deal because he doesn't want to get stuck on whatever team he signs with unless it's on his terms. He thought he might be able to find that in the Giants because talk was the OBJ was wearing out his welcome. Not happening it turns out (at least not yet) and so they don't need or want him.

Not to dismiss this, but I'd say turning down the Ravens would suggest other factors. IMHO, Dez is passionate. I don't know any truth to the notion of cancerous, which I wouldn't welcome, but he'd certainly be a force here that we need. I'm intrigued by the notion of turning 3's into 7's.

Back