Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Deshaun Watson - Out for the Year - Torn ACL

Kaep is a trouble maker and we don't need his politics. Sign Manziel if he's eligible and let him play his game. Someone mentioned Fuller not being effective with any other QB. Manziel will find both Fuller and Hop. Manziel just likes to live it up. As long as his game shows up Sundays, I have no problem. Reminds me of Bobby Lane in that respect.

:um:

You have to look in the mirror and reevaluate your perspectives if you claim to be of sound reasonable mind.

:um:

You have to look in the mirror and reevaluate your perspectives if you claim to be of sound reasonable mind.
Old post; you obviously haven't read subsequent posts which indicates I was simply prodding those posters suggesting we sign Kaep or RG3.

A report that Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson’s ACL injury came while he was “trotting” in Thursday’s practice is enlightening but by no means shocking.

To date this year, 31 of the 43 ACL tears in the NFL happened before the regular season. By our count, 15 of those 31 pre-season tears occurred in practice.

More than 70 percent of ACL tears are the result of non-contact incidents.

This is not an injury that occurs due to excessive force. An ACL tear occurs when the foot is stuck in the ground and the knee has an unexpected force. The muscles around the knee normally absorb most of the force. If the player does not expect the injury, the muscles can't assist and the body relies completely on the ligament. That is when tears happen.

“benefits” of tearing the right ACL versus the re-tearing his left one, an isolated tear would increase hope for Watson being the Texans’ starting QB in Week 1 of the 2018 season.
So Watson having been going less-than-full-speed on a routine play is completely believable.

This also hopefully bodes well for an isolated ACL injury versus the muli-ligament injuries that often go along with the dreaded ACL tear. In addition to the “benefits” of tearing the right ACL versus the re-tearing his left one, an isolated tear would increase hope for Watson being the Texans’ starting QB in Week 1 of the 2018 season.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...p-deshaun-watson-acl-practice-1104-story.html

You have to hate Kapernick's politics an awful lot to actually want to get likely out-of-shape Johnny Football off the couch. Newsflash, there are plenty of other players who agree with Kap. You want to run them out of the league too?
The thing is that players are just well compensated dancing chickens. They are entertainers, nothing more. Kap drives away fans and no owner wants that to happen. I wonder what the true numbers look like, regarding actual lost revenue, due to this whole flag issue.

I'd prefer the Texans to just roll with who they have and let Kap and Johnny Foozeball stay home.

If he did indeed partially tear his ACL in the Seattle game, how could he have possible played through the rest of the game and made al the way to Thursday before realizing it? That's just bizarre to me. There's video going around now on the play it could have happened and it looks convincing. This whole situation is just depressing to me smh.

Also, apologies to @CloakNNNdagger
I did not know of his credentials or background in the medical field.

This whole thing would be made a little better if our poor record would benefit us in the draft rather than the Browns...ugh

If he did indeed partially tear his ACL in the Seattle game, how could he have possible played through the rest of the game and made al the way to Thursday before realizing it? That's just bizarre to me. There's video going around now on the play it could have happened and it looks convincing. This whole situation is just depressing to me smh.

Also, apologies to @CloakNNNdagger
I did not know of his credentials or background in the medical field.

This whole thing would be made a little better if our poor record would benefit us in the draft rather than the Browns...ugh

I appreciate your response. I was not going to respond to your original critical post and play the "credentials card." I watch games much differently than the average....and even the very knowledgeable fans. I specifically watch them for injuries. I've been watching film like this for quite a while, much like Dr. David Chao......only not for money.........just for professional interest and love of the game. Dr. Chao and I don't always agree. For example, Dr. Chao called the delayed recovery of Luck essentially "normal" from the beginning up until just recently when he did not respond to the steroid injection. From the beginning, certainly when he was still not begin throwing by the time that TC began, I pointed out that this was not a good sign, looked like he was on his way to another surgery and didn't bid well for a return this season.

But as far as Watson, his first ACL was sustained in practice..........he then also played the entire subsequent Championship game well............shortly thereafter, he underwent surgery. His injury at that time was a partial ACL and it extended somewhat during the Championship game, but did not completely rupture. This recent ACL injury which he sustained in the Seattle game was a partial tear. And after the play in question, he was left significantly limping. As I've pointed out in previous posts, depending on the extent of the tear and the player's tolerance to pain, playing on an injured ACL, at least in the short run, is not rare. As I've also pointed out in the past, diagnosing a partial ACL tear is not all that common upon physical esam, as it commonly does not demonstrate abnormal sliding of the tibia over the tibia upon physical (a positive Drawer test) because the "check ligament" is not disrupted to lose it's function. The Texans would not have listed Watson on the Injury Report initially (before the rupture in practice) since any knee tenderness or pain was felt to be a mild strain and insignificant.......and technically would not have led to him missing a practice or a game. With what I saw in the Seattle game and with any continued signs and symptoms..........and especially with his known previous history of ACL rupture of his opposite knee (contralateral ACL ruptures like this occurring subsequently all too often in athletes) , a njon-invasive MRI would have been the only way to diagnose partial damage to the ACL.............and, as it relates to the most important player of the team, a high enough degree of suspicion should have been raised to empirically obtain an MRI prior to Wednesday's practice (if there were any questionable findings, then with also strong entertainment for an arthroscope, which is the only entirely reliable means to identify such an injury). Keep in mind that a partial ACL tear, if caught and tended to early is unlikely to create any significant meniscus and/or articular cartilage damage, which is not necessarily the case when a complete rupture is allowed to occur.

Last edited:

Why is it that an NFL Team wouldn’t plan ahead for matching the style of starting QB to Backup QB - I realize that they may have not planned for DW to work out so quickly - but don’t you just set yourself up for problems when one guy is a pocket guy and the next one is a scrambling playmaker? Don’t you spend too much time in practice planning for either instead of focusing on one style or the other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it that an NFL Team wouldn’t plan ahead for matching the style of starting QB to Backup QB - I realize that they may have not planned for DW to work out so quickly - but don’t you just set yourself up for problems when one guy is a pocket guy and the next one is a scrambling playmaker? Don’t you spend too much time in practice planning for either instead of focusing on one style or the other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ordinarily yes. But Savage was supposed to be the transition starter who knew 'the system.' He is almost certainly gone next year and hopefully they match the backup better.

If I were DeShaun Watson I'd walk into Smith's office tomorrow (yeah, before surgery Tuesday) & tell him I plan to hold out next season unless he makes me the highest paid QB in the league before the season is over.

Ian Rapoport

✔@RapSheet

From @NFLGameDay: #Texans move forward with Tom Savage after the injury to Deshaun Watson, who had a clean ACL tear with no other damage

7:21 AM - Nov 5, 2017
I hope that's the case, but the scope at the time of ACL will be the only way that additional meniscus and/or articular cartilage damage can be fully ruled out (an MRI cannot be fully relied upon to do that).........something that may never be revealed by the Texans if it is present.

I'm still not sold DeShaun Watson is a running QB. Sure he leads all QBs in rushing yards, but he looks very capable working from the pocket.

He does look very capable in the pocket, but the fact he can run is a major tool in his arsenal.

Fran Tarkenton.

People have used Fran Tarkenton and Aaron Rodgers in the same sentence, only Tarkenton was never as bullseye accurate as Rodgers. Tarkenton didn't need to be. He was Fran Friggin' Tarkenton, for chrissakes! Just like Deshaun Watson.

I think Watson and Tarkenton are more of a match, with a certain wild abandonment to their game (not as much as Favre), yet with an internal clock that's just hard to beat.

#91 is way too low

Fran Tarkenton.

People have used Fran Tarkenton and Aaron Rodgers in the same sentence, only Tarkenton was never as bullseye accurate as Rodgers. Tarkenton didn't need to be. He was Fran Friggin' Tarkenton, for chrissakes! Just like Deshaun Watson.

I think Watson and Tarkenton are more of a match, with a certain wild abandonment to their game (not as much as Favre), yet with an internal clock that's just hard to beat.

#91 is way too low

Best comparison yet ....

Reactions: JB
If I were DeShaun Watson I'd walk into Smith's office tomorrow (yeah, before surgery Tuesday) & tell him I plan to hold out next season unless he makes me the highest paid QB in the league before the season is over.
i imagined him saying this while literally putting his balls on the table while maintaining eye contact and now I cant tell my coworkers why I'm laughing so hard

Last edited:

And Rick can respond that the Texans will be happy to pay him a respectable salary to sit tight until he's 27.

I hope they don't screw this up and "fix" the the wrong knee.
This ACL isn't torn. Let's fix that!

I'm not sure if you've posted before but can you explain how he was able to come back in 5 months after his first ACL surgery?
Watson underwent his first ACL repair on Dec 12 2014. He joined the team for sideline workouts in late June 2015, but his first practice of the season on August 4 was his first full scale workout since the South Carolina game.

Reports of his 5 month recovery are greatly exaggerated, as his return to play (the standard metric of measure) did not occur until ~8 months following his surgery.

Watson underwent his first ACL repair on Dec 12 2014. He joined the team for sideline workouts in late June 2015, but his first practice of the season on August 4 was his first full scale workout since the South Carolina game.

Reports of his 5 month recovery are greatly exaggerated, as his return to play (the standard metric of measure) did not occur until ~8 months following his surgery.

And here I thought the stories were true that he was saving villages in China and Africa from volcanoes and earthquakes the day after...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players wear all manner of protective gear to protect themselves - mouth guards, shoulder pads, shin pads, thigh pads, rib protectors and helmets. Some even use the box for the manly bits.
Why not some sort of knee brace - elective of course, but should be something to look into.
The company that can design something that helps protect the knees and doesn't inhibit movement or speed will make quite a bit of money.

To try to answer your question, after ACL reconstruction, multiple studies have concluded that:

1) Knee bracing does not significantly protect against injury during recovery or afterwards.

2) In addition, the use of a knee brace following ACL reconstruction does not improve stability or hasten rehabilitation, either immediately or for up to 2 years.

3) Patients wearing a knee brace after ACL reconstruction may report subjective enhanced performance, but measured performance is better without the brace.

To try to answer your question, after ACL reconstruction, multiple studies have concluded that:

1) Knee bracing does not significantly protect against injury during recovery or afterwards.

2) In addition, the use of a knee brace following ACL reconstruction does not improve stability or hasten rehabilitation, either immediately or for up to 2 years.

3) Patients wearing a knee brace after ACL reconstruction may report subjective enhanced performance, but measured performance is better without the brace.
I don't mean post op, although that would be a safety precaution, but as part of standard protective gear.

I don't mean post op, although that would be a safety precaution, but as part of standard protective gear.
Knee braces have been repeatedly shown in studies to be of no prophylactic benefit (including for recurrent injury protection) in having any positive effect on the occurrence of any knee injuries except for possibly MCL injuries. Prophylactic bracing in football has not even consistently been shown to reduce MCL injuries. There remains a lack of evidence to support the routine use of prophylactic knee bracing in uninjured knees. In fact, there have been some studies that have shown an increase in knee injuries with their use. And yet they have been shown to negatively affect performance, especially when worn by skill players............this is why in college and the NFL the only players typically seen wearing knee braces for preventative purposes (for MCL prophylaxis only) are linemen.

Last edited:
He is generally respected, but from past history with Texans players, I could easily have reservations.
But isn't DR Andrews in Birmingham the best of the best in this field or is this such a routine surgery/operation that it does not require the top guy to be a success ?

Knee braces have been repeatedly shown in studies to be of no prophylactic benefit (including for recurrent injury protection) in having any positive effect on the occurrence of any knee injuries except for possibly MCL injuries. Prophylactic bracing in football has not even consistently been shown to reduce MCL injuries. There remains a lack of evidence to support the routine use of prophylactic knee bracing in uninjured knees. In fact, there have been some studies that have shown an increase in knee injuries with their use. And yet they have been shown to negatively affect performance, especially when worn by skill players............this is why in college and the NFL the only players typically seen wearing knee braces for preventative purposes (for MCL prophylaxis only) are linemen.

Good Stuff, Doc! I always enjoy my bit of medical learning from your posts.

Deshaun Watson undergoes surgery on torn ACL
10:13 AM CT
  • ESPN.com

Doctors did not find any additional damage in the knee of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson while they performed ACL surgery Wednesday morning in Houston, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Watson tore the ACL in his right knee during practice last week, although video showed that he may have initially been injured during a Week 8 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

A source previously told Schefter that the projected timeline for Watson's recovery is eight to nine months. Watson returned from a torn left ACL in five months while he was a college quarterback at Clemson.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The "five month" return myth propagates itself. :chef:

Deshaun Watson undergoes surgery on torn ACL
10:13 AM CT
  • ESPN.com

Doctors did not find any additional damage in the knee of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson while they performed ACL surgery Wednesday morning in Houston, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Watson tore the ACL in his right knee during practice last week, although video showed that he may have initially been injured during a Week 8 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

A source previously told Schefter that the projected timeline for Watson's recovery is eight to nine months. Watson returned from a torn left ACL in five months while he was a college quarterback at Clemson.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The "five month" return myth propagates itself. :chef:

Shouldn't HIPA laws prevent them from disclosing whether more damage was or was not found?

Shouldn't HIPA laws prevent them from disclosing whether more damage was or was not found?
Unless the patient/player wants that information out there for his own benefit...............or the information may not even be accurate as it may be coming from an unreliable source.........or even from the patient/player that wants to put out only part of the story (part of the damage) so not to make him of potential lesser value in the future. With elite NFL players, there are a lot of games being played regarding their injuries. I know from experience.............what "gets out" is usually exactly what someone selectively wants there to get out.

Keep in mind, HIPAA regulations only apply to health-care providers.

Back