Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Demaryius Thomas traded to Texans

Shishkabob

All Pro
Didn't think they would trade him to us before we played them, that's awesome!
They don;t have the luxury of waiting until after our game with the deadline today at 4 p.m. You don't trade away a player because you are trying to win today, you do it for the future so this game doesn't really matter in the scheme of things

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I like this deal. Has the ideal hand size of 10 1/2 inches. Tall (6'3") and solid weight (230) to go with it. Although he may not run the 4.38 he did at the Combine years ago, he has developed the vet cunning to make up for any loss.

Last edited:

zshawn10

All Pro
John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/1057321039640870913

Confirming @RapSheet report Texans getting Demaryius Thomas for a fourth round pick.

12:19 PM - Oct 30, 2018

Spotrac

✔@spotrac

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1057320205565788160

The #Texans will acquire WR Demaryius Thomas with caps of $4.5M in 2018 & a non-guaranteed $14M in 2019 (zero dead cap).

The #Broncos take on dead cap hits of $7.5M in 2018 & $3.5M in 2019. http://bit.ly/2AAu2Uq

12:15 PM - Oct 30, 2018

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Im not in love with it, if you wanted a sure hands guy Golden Tate would have been my first option, hopefully Coutee gets back healthy at some point and provides some NFL speed to keep defenses honest. At least Thomas is healthy, there is that.

4th round pick? when reports were saying a conditional 5th or 6th got it done? LOL weeeeee its the Texans why am I not surprised.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Im not in love with it, if you wanted a sure hands guy Golden Tate would have been my first option, hopefully Coutee gets back healthy at some point and provides some NFL speed to keep defenses honest. At least Thomas is healthy, there is that.

4th round pick? when reports were saying a conditional 5th or 6th got it done? LOL weeeeee its the Texans why am I not surprised.
You mean the Denver beat writer who says thats what he "thought" would get it done? but according to Rappaport the guy who has proven to have inside knowledge said Elway was standing fast at his request for a 4th rounder.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
John McClain

@McClain_on_NFL

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/1057321039640870913

Confirming @RapSheet report Texans getting Demaryius Thomas for a fourth round pick.

12:19 PM - Oct 30, 2018

Spotrac

@spotrac

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1057320205565788160

The #Texans will acquire WR Demaryius Thomas with caps of $4.5M in 2018 & a non-guaranteed $14M in 2019 (zero dead cap).

The #Broncos take on dead cap hits of $7.5M in 2018 & $3.5M in 2019. http://bit.ly/2AAu2Uq

12:15 PM - Oct 30, 2018
This is a good thing no dead cap right?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Rick Smith would have wasted the 4th round pick anyways.

Uncle Rico

14 million is owed for Thomas next year also ... Im sure he's gonna be A OK with reworking his deal for the TExans right? Right? LOL SMH

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
We traded a 4th round pick for a 7th round pick?

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk - I'm cool with this. My first option would have been Jackson from TB but maybe the price was too high. But this is nice too.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Still love it. Didn't use any high draft capital to get it done, and regardless Thomas is likely better next year than any 4th rounder we could get at WR or anywhere else for that matter. And we need help for Watson NOW.

As I said elsewhere yesterday, he was my 3rd choice of those rumored to potentially be available. I had Tate and Jackson ahead of him but that's it.

He's a big body, still has some wheels but is probably more along the lines of Andre Johnson later in his career, more of the prototypical possession guy. In short, he's good enough to draw some attention away from Hopkins which is a huge benefit. This guys benefits will go beyond his raw numbers.

I'm stoked! Hope Fuller comes back strong next year. A top 4 of Hop, Fuller, Thomas and Coutee sounds pretty bad ass to me!

zshawn10

All Pro
Benjamin Allbright

✔@AllbrightNFL

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1057324085678620675

Despite four teams inquiring (Philly. NE, Tenn) the Broncos did not have any offers above a 6th rounder until Houston.

12:31 PM - Oct 30, 2018

Zack Cox

✔@ZackCoxNESN

https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1057324748739407872

Even after adding Demaryius Thomas, the Texans still are considering trading for Phillip Dorsett, per @RapSheet. Dorsett has hardly played since Josh Gordon became a starter for the Patriots three weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1057324748739407872

I think the price was higher than initially expected for a couple of reasons. I think there were multiple teams interested in DT, including the Patriots Eagles, and Titans. I also think Elway was prepared to get his price, or hang on to him. We were not in a position to make a low ball offer and be content if Elway didn't take it, or get outbid by someone else.

We needed this. And the price, while not cheap, was not prohibitively expensive.

It's tough to to find steals when you are in dire need.

Uncle Rico

I think the price was higher than initially expected for a couple of reasons. I think there were multiple teams interested in DT, including the Patriots Eagles, and Titans. I also think Elway was prepared to get his price, or hang on to him. We were not in a position to make a low ball offer and be content if Elway didn't take it, or get outbid by someone else.

We needed this. And the price, while not cheap, was not prohibitively expensive.

It's tough to to find steals when you are in dire need.
Im not going so far as calling this a steal. He has to prove alot that his possession style is going to mesh with DHop.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Good deal, he was second choice behind Jackson for me. Added bonus is one less guy to deal with Sunday as well! Dorsett needs to come cheap, and if we really are out there looking at him, what is Vyncint Smith thinking?

Dakota

Ticketbooth Attendant
Wait... so is DT just a bargaining chip for a possible Dorsett deal or is that saying we want both?

gafftop

All Pro
Agree with most said above. Said before season started that they were weak at RB and WR. Like the Texans to wait until it hits them in the face to do something. If they would have been proactive they probably could have gotten more for less. But that said they have done something. Not sure about how the 7th round pick works.
If they could pick up a quality OL person and CB then who knows. I still question why they gave a 2nd to get rid of the OZ. It cleared cap space but they did not use to pick up any quality OL persons. Really have not been following Thomas enough to know if he has anything left in the tank. Overall again they are doing something.
He is not Verlander but maybe he will be the piece that puts the Texans on their way. We can always hope.

Im not going so far as calling this a steal. He has to prove alot that his possession style is going to mesh with DHop.
I wasn't calling this deal a steal - I was making the point that when you have a dire need with only hours remaining, you are not going to be able to find a steal, or even a bargain. You are going to have to pay fair market/plus.

But I still think it was a good deal for us. The Eagles also wanted this deal and had to shift to Tate after our deal was made.

Tate was FAR more expensive. A 3rd rd for a rental this year/FA next yr.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Agree with most said above. Said before season started that they were weak at RB and WR. Like the Texans to wait until it hits them in the face to do something. If they would have been proactive they probably could have gotten more for less. But that said they have done something. Not sure about how the 7th round pick works.
If they could pick up a quality OL person and CB then who knows. I still question why they gave a 2nd to get rid of the OZ. It cleared cap space but they did not use to pick up any quality OL persons. Really have not been following Thomas enough to know if he has anything left in the tank. Overall again they are doing something.
He is not Verlander but maybe he will be the piece that puts the Texans on their way. We can always hope.
The only thing on trading Os that made sense was we were making space for Romo, and he left us at the alter. I had to think they were getting strong signals he was in. Os was also starting to be a divisive member on the team, not by his act, but the team was not behind him (see Jags 2018). So he was going to be gone, just what was the least damage, straight cut and eat $$'s, or trade 2nd to make room for Romo. That is my unsubstantiated belief

LikeMike

Veteran
What I am wondering: what are we gonna do next Season? Have a real solid WR Rotation with Hopkins, Fuller, Thomas and Coutee? Cut Thomas and let him walk? Try to trade Fuller because of his injury history?

I like the Player and am ok with what we gave up for him - but I also saw more pressing Needs at OT and CB. But you gotta take what is available...

Shishkabob

All Pro
The only thing on trading Os that made sense was we were making space for Romo, and he left us at the alter. I had to think they were getting strong signals he was in. Os was also starting to be a divisive member on the team, not by his act, but the team was not behind him (see Jags 2018). So he was going to be gone, just what was the least damage, straight cut and eat $$'s, or trade 2nd to make room for Romo. That is my unsubstantiated belief
The Romo theory also fits with why they stopped at the amount they did for Bouye.

Shishkabob

All Pro
What I am wondering: what are we gonna do next Season? Have a real solid WR Rotation with Hopkins, Fuller, Thomas and Coutee? Cut Thomas and let him walk? Try to trade Fuller because of his injury history?

I like the Player and am ok with what we gave up for him - but I also saw more pressing Needs at OT and CB. But you gotta take what is available...
most likely try to restructure Thomas' deal, possibly cut if he doesn't take it. It would be nice to have him next season so we don't have to rush Fuller back

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Shoot, for a proven nfl vet a 4th and even a lower pick is not bad.
I'll take it.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Shoot, for a proven nfl vet a 4th and even a lower pick is not bad.
I'll take it.
I hope they snag a decent RB to go with him.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Stole this from someone who posted a snippet from The Athletic, if you want you can pay for the full story I'm not going to lol

Beloved in the locker room and revered as a quiet leader, Thomas was the one who stayed behind at practice to coach up the rookies. He was that one to pull newcomers aside to show them the ropes. He was the one to keep an even keel when the Broncos’ performance and record over the last couple of years plummeted.

"I love D.T.," cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said. "He’s been a great teammate to me and we’ve had great competition for eight years that I’ve been here. I know he’s going out there and he’s giving it his all. I’ve won a lot of games with him, so I know I can continue to win them with him."

Drafted in the first round (No. 22) in 2010 out of Georgia Tech. Among his many achievements that will surely land him in the Broncos’ Ring of Fame:

• His 125 consecutive games played ranks fourth in the NFL among non-quarterbacks.
  • He was the fastest receiver in Broncos history to record 600 catches, needing only 112 games.
  • He recorded five consecutive seasons with at least 90 catches and 1,000 receiving yards. Those five 1,000-yard seasons rank as the second-most in Broncos history.
  • His 665 career receptions with the Broncos rank as the third-most on the Broncos’ all-time list. Ten more and he would have tied Shannon Sharpe for second place.
  • His 9,055 receiving yards rank No. 2 on the Broncos’ all-time list.
  • His 60 receiving touchdowns also rank No. 2 on the Broncos’ all-time list.
  • And his 36 100-yard receiving are tops in Broncos history.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Stole this from someone who posted a snippet from The Athletic, if you want you can pay for the full story I'm not going to lol

Beloved in the locker room and revered as a quiet leader, Thomas was the one who stayed behind at practice to coach up the rookies. He was that one to pull newcomers aside to show them the ropes. He was the one to keep an even keel when the Broncos’ performance and record over the last couple of years plummeted.

"I love D.T.," cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said. "He’s been a great teammate to me and we’ve had great competition for eight years that I’ve been here. I know he’s going out there and he’s giving it his all. I’ve won a lot of games with him, so I know I can continue to win them with him."

Drafted in the first round (No. 22) in 2010 out of Georgia Tech. Among his many achievements that will surely land him in the Broncos’ Ring of Fame:

• His 125 consecutive games played ranks fourth in the NFL among non-quarterbacks.
  • He was the fastest receiver in Broncos history to record 600 catches, needing only 112 games.
  • He recorded five consecutive seasons with at least 90 catches and 1,000 receiving yards. Those five 1,000-yard seasons rank as the second-most in Broncos history.
  • His 665 career receptions with the Broncos rank as the third-most on the Broncos’ all-time list. Ten more and he would have tied Shannon Sharpe for second place.
  • His 9,055 receiving yards rank No. 2 on the Broncos’ all-time list.
  • His 60 receiving touchdowns also rank No. 2 on the Broncos’ all-time list.
  • And his 36 100-yard receiving are tops in Broncos history.
Wow looks like we got a pretty classy guy to boot who will fit right into our solid locker room.
Wait, SteelB might be disappointed because he might prefer a WR with a lengthy rap sheet.