Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Defensive Secondary 2011 NFL Draft

I really want to see what Prince runs.

I did show a vulnerability deep against good WRs but I am not sure if that is a speed or coaching issue.

Most of the college routes are underneath, so it wouldn't surprise me that Amukamara was coached to be hyper-aggressive on those routes. That doesn't mean he can't be coached to turn and run with WRs. I think he has the speed and ability.

Amukamara reminds me of a bigger pre-injury Dunta Robinson. Very physical corner who can challege NFL WRs at the LOS. I think the Texans have lacked that. I do acknowledge that Amukamara has been burned deep. But you have to look at the circumstances, where he hasn't been afforded safety help and asked to challenge the slants and outs. I don't think Amukamara has to be pigeon holed as a cover 2 CB.

I was not trying to project a player.
(In one of my earlier posts in this thread, I've stated that Prince A. the final product in the NFL may not be the same player that we saw on the field in college.)

I was simply recounting what I saw.
That he played exclusively as a cover 2 corner.
It could be man under or zone under (I've also mentioned this before.)
In these coverages, the CB does have to run with the receiver in certain pattern; when 2 or more receivers on his side were running deep routes for example.
These would be the time when Prince had a lot of problem with.

Now, even as I do not try to project him, I did mention that it seems he's high out of his backpedal often, and that this could be the cause.
(I haven't read of any scout mentioning this.)
I am quite impressed with myself (lol) as I found this on nfl.com today

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/27/peterson-amukamara-prefer-to-stay-at-corner/

“The thing I’ve been working on is my technique,” Amukamara said. “I feel like I’m too high on my backpedal, so I’ve been working a lot on it.”

The only way I can see him in the first round is for him to have an excellent combine and some coaches think they can work with him to really improve his game (by making use the shuffle technique, for example, lol.)

76Texan, what's your opinion of Brandon Harris-CB from Miami?

I had watched 9 Miami games this year and about the same number last year (while scouting Sharpton).

I like him as a prospect. He's is a guy that can be worked with.
The Canes played a lot of man coverage and Harris showed well.
(He does have his share of bad tapes; however, considering the number of times that he's on an island I concluded that he has the second best tapes after Jimmy Smith.)

Harris is smooth in his backpedal and fluid in his turn.
And he can run with the receiver.
When he changed direction in pusruit, he can get back in gear quickly.
Good short burst, long speed and closing speed.
Played adequately-to-quite-well against big and/or tall receivers.
(not sure how good these guys are though.)
Good in help defense (on other offensive threat that was not his main responsibility), displaying awareness and vision of the whole field.

The one thing he needs to work on is tackling.
He's not bad in this department but he can work much on it.

High second round for sure; he could be a first rounder with a good showing at the combine and/or team needs.
His height could hurt him, not just in the draft, but against good NFL receivers.

I would take Smith over Harris.

Would having a 6'5" 220-Lbs safety be a bad thing for our defense? Just asking because WVU Robert Sands is a safety who has some good highlight reels and played exceptionally well in the 3-3-5 scheme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0o1xMWqCow

Sands put up some solid numbers at the combine and his pro day.
He's among many safeties in this deep draft that are possibilites for the Texans.

Andrew Rich also put up some really good numbers at his pro day for the position, especially a guy his size:
4.65 - 40; same as Jarrett,
34" vertical; better than Sash, Hill
9"8 broad; better than Moore
4.19 shuttle; better than Black, Sash, same as Hill
6.92 cone; better than Carter, Moore, even Amukamara

His numbers are even better than quite a few CBs in different categories.

Steelb, did you watch Lefeged against Cincy and W. Virginia?
I don't understand why he played so unlike what he tested out at the combine and on his pro day.

I saw 6 or 7 times that he stepped up on a ball carrier (whether a receiver or a RB) and simply got left in the dirt.

Does he lack instinct?
His reaction isn't gpod?
Supposedly, he should have decent hips, but what happened here???

And being the last guy on the defense in those instances, you can guess what the results were.

Back