Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DeAndre Hopkins suspended 6 games for PED use

I'm sure some Clemson players are great guys. Reader comes to mind. Having one of them on your team isn't a bad thing. More than that and you're asking for trouble. Also I would never use a high pick on a Clemson player, they have a sense of entitlement when they're picked high. Yes, this is a general statement.

I'm not against picking guys like Okabo, just not with high picks. That way when they don't live up to expectations I won't be disappointed.
So, you wouldn't have drafted Lawrence last year?

Nope,

I think he's overrated.

I liked Jones the most out of that class and thought the 49ers should have picked him. Still do.
Well, I guess we will see. Mack got to get coached by the goat. Lawrence got drafted by a college coach who thought he was back in college. I thnk Lawrence is going to have the same type of jump Goff had when McVeigh came in. Imo, he's 10x more talented than Jones. Jones was just well insulated by the game plan.

Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but back to Hopkins.

DeAndre Hopkins unlikely to hit milestones to void final year of contract
Jess Root
May 4, 2022 8:13 pm MT

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins signed a big contract extension in 2020. In the contract, his salary would increase each year through 2023 and then decline in 2024, the final year of the contract.

He will make $6.65 million in salary this season after getting paid a $10.65 million bonus, for a total for $17.3 million in scheduled money.

He will make $19.45 million in 2023 and then that will drop to $14.92 million in 2024, his age 32 season.

There is a clause in his contract that voids the final year of his contract at age 31 and giving him the opportunity to get a new deal and avoid that decrease in salary.

There are four ways Hopkins can have his deal void. All he has to do is hit one of them in the four seasons between 2020-2023:
  • He can catch 400 passes.
  • He can reach 5,000 receiving yards.
  • He can score at least 40 receiving touchdowns.
  • He can be named first-team All-Pro four times.
Between his injury last season and the suspension this season, it is highly unlikely he will hit any of those milestones.

He can’t hit the All-Pro milestone. He was not a first-team All-Pro either of the last two seasons. There are only two seasons left for that.

In two seasons, he has 157 receptions for 1,979 yards and 14 touchdowns.

He can play a maximum of 28 games over the next two seasons. He needs 243 receptions, 3,021 receiving yards or 26 touchdown receptions to reach the levels necessary to void the final year.

That would mean he would need to average more than 8.6 receptions, nearly 108 yards or just less than a touchdown per game over the next 28.

For his career, he has averaged 5.8 catches, 77.8 yards and 0.5 touchdowns per game.
It is safe to say that Hopkins will not get that final year voided.

Dez Bryant, at 33, is making a somewhat odd public push to be signed by the Cardinals. He told Sirius XM NFL radio that he is close with Hopkins, that he loved Kyler Murray's swag and confidence. "It's not to be the Dez Bryant I was when I first got to the NFL, it's moreso help guys, facilitate, being an example ... how to work hard," he said.

Forget the fact he's played in exactly six games, with six catches, in the NFL since 2017, and even in 2016 and 2017 his production was in decline. It's hard to see how someone like Bryant would fit now, with A.J. Green, and Marquise Brown, and Rondale Moore and even Antoine Wesley, who actually was productive last season. Signing a Bryant would seem to me like another Michael Crabtree move, a player who sounds good on paper but in reality, it doesn't really work.
LINK

The tweet is basically saying that Robey, Fuller, Hopkins and Bouye all worked with this guy Dose Khango. It was predicted by a Reddit poster in Dec 2020.

Which I think was also predicted here when Fuller, Robey and Bouye tested positive.
If Robey, Fuller and Bouye were suspended because of a PEDs-containing supplement given to them by the same doctor, it would seem unbelievable that Hopkins would be still taking any supplement related to the other mentioned players' following their suspensions (or, for that matter, any substance suggested by that doctor)............especially almost a year later.............unless he was overtly stupid.

And I'm still wondering how he tested positive for PEDs Nov 2021 when the CBA limits testing to only the first 2 weeks of TC..........and don't understand why the media are not asking that same question.

Or arrogant

I believe if there were questionable results in the first two weeks then that player can be tested randomly or for cause.
PEDs drug tests are highly accurate such that they will test either positive or negative. When they return "inconclusive," the sample is considered diluted or otherwise a sign of tampering in attempt to avoid detection by somehow trying to clean out their system. A sample "B" taken at the same time the first sample was taken can be requested by the player in the case of a positive of "inconclusive" result..........with the same 3 possible results. If negative on this "B" sample, the player is considered "clean." If it returns positive, the answer is obvious. If it again returns "inconclusive," just as the first sample, it is considered tampered with and the same as if it were a positive.

MAQB: DeAndre Hopkins’s Future in Doubt
The Cardinals could cut ties with their suspended star wide receiver if the second half of his 2022 season doesn’t turn out well. Plus, how the Giants’ pair of top-10 picks played out, why the Tyrann Mathieu deal came together Monday and more.
  • ALBERT BREER

• MAY 2, 2022
    Over the first eight years of his NFL career, seven in Houston and one in Arizona, DeAndre Hopkins started 126 of 128 games—missing one game in 2017 and another in ’19. Last season, however, he missed seven regular season contests and the Cardinals’ playoff game due to hamstring and knee injuries, and thanks to a six-game PED suspension, he’ll continue to be on the sideline quite often for Arizona.

When Hopkins returns from his suspension, he’ll have been out for 14 of the Cardinals’ previous 16 games. He turns 30 in June. His contract spikes in 2023—he’s owed a non-guaranteed $19.45 million salary that year, his age-31 season, and is slated to carry a cap number of $27.2 million.
    And after that, presumably, Kyler Murray will be off his rookie contract.

It doesn’t take a direct line to GM Steve Keim to see where this might be headed. And if there’s one thing to take away going forward on Hopkins’s suspension, it really does relate to all that. When he returns, Hopkins will be heading into a critical 11-game stretch. How the back end of 2022 goes for him could go a long way to determining where his career goes thereafter.

I’m told that Hopkins’s looming absence was, indeed, a factor in the Cardinals’ pursuit of, and eventual trade for, Ravens burner Hollywood Brown. Obviously, they’ve known for a while that Hopkins was facing the suspension. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t have done the Brown trade anyway. Every team that’s had Hopkins knows it’s imperative that you’re fast around him, because he’s not running away from anyone. It’s why the Texans drafted Will Fuller in the first round in 2016 and acquired Kenny Stills in 2019. And I believe it’s a reason why Christian Kirk was important to Arizona, and why the team kept the light on for former second-rounder Andy Isabella.
    THE REST OF THE STORY

MAQB: DeAndre Hopkins’s Future in Doubt
The Cardinals could cut ties with their suspended star wide receiver if the second half of his 2022 season doesn’t turn out well. Plus, how the Giants’ pair of top-10 picks played out, why the Tyrann Mathieu deal came together Monday and more.
  • ALBERT BREER

• MAY 2, 2022
    Over the first eight years of his NFL career, seven in Houston and one in Arizona, DeAndre Hopkins started 126 of 128 games—missing one game in 2017 and another in ’19. Last season, however, he missed seven regular season contests and the Cardinals’ playoff game due to hamstring and knee injuries, and thanks to a six-game PED suspension, he’ll continue to be on the sideline quite often for Arizona.

When Hopkins returns from his suspension, he’ll have been out for 14 of the Cardinals’ previous 16 games. He turns 30 in June. His contract spikes in 2023—he’s owed a non-guaranteed $19.45 million salary that year, his age-31 season, and is slated to carry a cap number of $27.2 million.
    And after that, presumably, Kyler Murray will be off his rookie contract.

It doesn’t take a direct line to GM Steve Keim to see where this might be headed. And if there’s one thing to take away going forward on Hopkins’s suspension, it really does relate to all that. When he returns, Hopkins will be heading into a critical 11-game stretch. How the back end of 2022 goes for him could go a long way to determining where his career goes thereafter.

I’m told that Hopkins’s looming absence was, indeed, a factor in the Cardinals’ pursuit of, and eventual trade for, Ravens burner Hollywood Brown. Obviously, they’ve known for a while that Hopkins was facing the suspension. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they wouldn’t have done the Brown trade anyway. Every team that’s had Hopkins knows it’s imperative that you’re fast around him, because he’s not running away from anyone. It’s why the Texans drafted Will Fuller in the first round in 2016 and acquired Kenny Stills in 2019. And I believe it’s a reason why Christian Kirk was important to Arizona, and why the team kept the light on for former second-rounder Andy Isabella.
    THE REST OF THE STORY

that inevitable “slow down” is on the horizon for Nuk & i expect him to either be dealt or outright released at the trade deadline this year or released after the season. No way Arizona pays that 19.5 for him.

DeAndre Hopkins still investigating failed test, hoping suspension will be reduced
Posted by Josh Alper on June 23, 2022, 7:02 AM EDT

When Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins was suspended for violating the league’s performance-enhancing substance policy in May, he said he was “confused and shocked” by failing the test because he never knowingly took a banned substance.

Hopkins vowed to investigate the test result and that investigation remains in progress. Hopkins told Cameron Cox of KPNX that he believes something he took was contaminated by Ostarine and that he’s still hopeful that the six-game suspension can be reduced before the season starts.

“We’re still doing some research right now,” Hopkins said. “Hopefully, before the season starts, maybe we can get the games down a little bit. But no, it wasn’t on me. I’m a natural. I’m pretty much a naturopathic kind of person. What it was, it’s called Ostarine. There was 0.1 percent of it found in my system and, if you know what that is, it’s contamination and not something directly taken. I don’t take any supplements, I’ve never taken supplements, I barely take vitamins. For something like that to happen to me, I was shocked, but my [group], we’re still trying to find out what’s going on.”

NFL rules are pretty clear about players being responsible for what goes into their bodies and suspensions are generally announced after any appeals process has played out. On top of that, Hopkins’ failed test came during the 2021 season so he’s had a long time to present exculpatory evidence and the lack of change to the suspension suggests he’ll be serving the full six-game ban to kick off next season.

Hopkins was chirping about any and every thing the Texans did until the Watson lawsuits started he has been quiet as a mouse about the Texans since that day.
Surely his reps have rightfully guided him on distancing himself from the Texans and Watson drama since those lawsuits...but he's still doing things in Houston

Good thing we got rid of him. He could never be of help to a guy like Davis Mills. ;)
Well according to some who defended this ridiculous trade. If a young QB doesn't have a great WR1, it makes them a better all round QB because they will be forced to spread the ball around. Years later, I can't even repeat this nonsense without laughing.

All kidding aside. It was good seeing Hopkins play ball again. The guy just seems to get open all the time.

Well according to some who defended this ridiculous trade. If a young QB doesn't have a great WR1, it makes them a better all round QB because they will be forced to spread the ball around. Years later, I can't even repeat this nonsense without laughing.

All kidding aside. It was good seeing Hopkins play ball again. The guy just seems to get open all the time.
To be fair Derrick had his best yr the yr after Hopkins was traded.

Lets also note…hes been in Arizona 3 years & they’ve only been to the playoffs once…& he was a non factor in that game…hes breaking down..he wont be around much longer…as a top level WR anyway. Kinda like JJ.

Lets also note…hes been in Arizona 3 years & they’ve only been to the playoffs once…& he was a non factor in that game…hes breaking down..he wont be around much longer…as a top level WR anyway. Kinda like JJ.

Still wish the McNair's would've held onto him for another yr.

That's the point

Just as much as the 4 record breaking wins in Mills rookie yr.
The 2020 team averaged 24 PPG and the defense gave up 29 PPG. The 2021 team averaged 16 PPG and gave up 26 PPG. The 2022 team is scoring 17 PPG and giving up 22 PPG.

Lazy analysis just says "well you went 4-12, blah, blah, blah in 2020 and 2021". The root cause of the 4-12 record in 2020 was the defense and coaching. It was historically bad. Don't get me wrong the 2020 offense was still inconsistent but if they had the 2021 defensive turnovers or even 2022 defensive improvements, it's not a stretch to think they would have won more than 4 games.

In 2021 and 2022, both sides of the ball are terrible. I'm glad that some are now willingly to look closer at the overall reason for the continued mediocrity and that's a good thing.

Reactions: JB
The 2020 team averaged 24 PPG and the defense gave up 29 PPG. The 2021 team averaged 16 PPG and gave up 26 PPG. The 2022 team is scoring 17 PPG and giving up 22 PPG.

Lazy analysis just says "well you went 4-12, blah, blah, blah in 2020 and 2021". The root cause of the 4-12 record in 2020 was the defense and coaching. It was historically bad. Don't get me wrong the 2020 offense was still inconsistent but if they had the 2021 defensive turnovers or even 2022 defensive improvements, it's not a stretch to think they would have won more than 4 games.

In 2021 and 2022, both sides of the ball are terrible. I'm glad that some are now willingly to look closer at the overall reason for the continued mediocrity and that's a good thing.
Difference is I called this before the season started. Can you spell overrated?

has there ever been a star wr wanting to come back for the team that drafted him in nfl history ..??? :P we prob could Offred him but why

he wants to go to dallas but his best fit would prob be seahawks or vikings

Back