Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis says he can do 2000 yards

I thought it was kind of a clever way to make a point. There are alternatives to brute force ...

Cleaver is fine, but if you are going to fabricate stuff, what's the point? Why not just make up everything and when called out, just tell us you were kidding?

It's a technique to learning, Steel Blue (Vinny?). I could sit here and just tell somebody the error of their ways. Or I could use an example that might help them see it for themselves.

I think there's a difference between me teaching somebody and somebody learning for themselves.

The Logic is simple.

The Broncos trade up to have a CHOICE between Bell and Jones.

They took Bell.

I think we are all entitled to form an opinion about the Broncos abilities to evaluate RB talent. I believe HUGE injected Portis into this discussion.

When the Cowboys used their second pick, they had NO CHOICE. Bell was gone.

The Broncos should have contacted Huge before the draft and he could have explained to them that Bell fumbles.

I only suggest that the Cowboys MAY have wanted the option to draft Bell. The option the Broncos had when they traded in front of them. We will never know for sure.

Huge said:
It's a technique to learning, Steel Blue (Vinny?). I could sit here and just tell somebody the error of their ways. Or I could use an example that might help them see it for themselves.

I think there's a difference between me teaching somebody and somebody learning for themselves.
Teaching who? Mistril48 merely suggested that the Cowboys were looking at Bell based on a logical progression. You were just making up fantasy as fact. Isn't there a difference there somewhere?
Mistril48 said:
I agree with HUGE. Dallas was probably trying to copy the Texans and get both an offensive linemen AND their choice at running back .... TATUM BELL.

Bummer that the Broncos took him right before the Cowboys pick. Oh well. Maybe they can convince people they wanted Julius anyway.

Broncos ... Portis ... Tatum Bell. Now I know why Portis was on Huge's mind.

Actually I injected Portis into the discussion when I posted his stats, saying that would be a good goal for DD to shoot for this year. I think that used to be the main topic of this thread.

By Huge: Clinton Portis. And I'm assuming you brought him up because he's the RB the Texans passed on before they selected Davis
And for the record, Huge, you assumed wrong.

The Logic is simple.

The Broncos trade up to have a CHOICE between Bell and Jones.

They took Bell.

I think we are all entitled to form an opinion about the Broncos abilities to evaluate RB talent. I believe HUGE injected Portis into this discussion.

When the Cowboys used their second pick, they had NO CHOICE. Bell was gone.

So we all agree that Denver had Bell rated above Jones. Where we disagree is that this doesn't mean that if one team has one player rated above the other (Denver with Bell over Jones), it automatically means Dallas had him rated higher as well.

A better example than the Wilfork **** is Deangelo Hall and Dunta Robinson. Did the Texans "settle" for Robinson because Hall was taken a couple of picks before? If not, how do you know this?

And no, I wasn't the one that injected Portis into this discussion. Read on...

If DD gets 2000 yards, that means he had 350+ carries. I'd kinda like to see him have a nice long career and that's certainly not the best way to approach it for a guy whose durability may be an issue.

His goals should look like this IMO (guess the RB):

Yds Carries Avg TD Long
1591 290 .....5.5 14 65

That's aj's post...not mine. I merely answered his question "(guess the RB)".

I only suggest that the Cowboys MAY have wanted the option to draft Bell. The option the Broncos had when they traded in front of them. We will never know for sure.

They had the option of drafting any RB in the draft (none were taken by the time Dallas was on the clock in the first round). They chose to trade down. Even after trading down, they still had the option of Greg Jones, Michael Turner, Mewelde Moore, etc. And of all those players, Julius Jones was the only one that was invited to Dallas before the draft (this we know as fact).

Teaching who? Mistril48 merely suggested that the Cowboys were looking at Bell based on a logical progression. You were just making up fantasy as fact. Isn't there a difference there somewhere?

There would be a difference if there was a "logical progression".

Fair enough, but you did ask if we "saw your point". It was lost on me, but then again, I'm being a bit of a homer here.

I just didn't see how you can "teach a lesson" by taking a comment that was admittedly speculation and make a "factual statement" about Wilfork that you conceded was fantasy only after someone else called you on it.

Had it been known that it was fantasy when I orginally made it, the point (don't make baseless statements you can't back up) would not have gotten across. ;)

Huge said:
Clinton Portis. And I'm assuming you brought him up because he's the RB the Texans passed on before they selected Davis. ;)
I was referring to your injection of Portis as an alternative for the Texans (just as Bell could have been an alternative for the Cowboys, had the Broncos not traded up), as opposed to the use of Portis as a benchmark for RBs.

Huge said:
Had it been known that it was fantasy when I orginally made it, the point (don't make baseless statements you can't back up) would not have gotten across. ;)
I understand (for the most part).

I also respect you a great deal from the original mb (you always kept your banter above the bs) so I will give you your due.

Mistril48 said:
I was referring to your injection of Portis as an alternative for the Texans (just as Bell could have been an alternative for the Cowboys, had the Broncos not traded up), as opposed to the use of Portis as a benchmark for RBs.

Understood.

But the Broncos didn't trade up to get Bell. The 2nd round selection they used on Bell came from the Portis/Bailey trade (way before the draft). Had the trade been made while Washington was on the clock, that'd be different.

But it still wouldn't change the fact that Jones was invited to Dallas for an interview (as well as interviewing his brother Thomas during the free agency period) before the draft and Bell wasn't.

I just didn't see how you can "teach a lesson" by taking a comment that was admittedly speculation and make a "factual statement" about Wilfork that you conceded was fantasy only after someone else called you on it.
To me, it was something akin to using irony as a literary technique. It was intended to make the reader think and interpret. I know that's a novel concept on these boards but it seemed like a nice change of pace from the usual my Dad can beat up your Dad stuff...

Huge said:
But the Broncos didn't trade up to get Bell. The 2nd round selection they used on Bell came from the Portis/Bailey trade (way before the draft). Had the trade been made while Washington was on the clock, that'd be different.

The Broncos acquired the 41st pick previously held by Washington, a pick ahead of Dallas' original second round pick, 52. The Broncos original second round pick, pick 54, was behind the Cowboys. The trade with the Bills didn't change the fact that the Broncos were still ahead of the Cowboys in the second round.

During the draft coverage. I believe there was speculation that the Broncos traded with Cincinnati to move up ahead of the Pats and the Cowboys for a RB. It turned out they were targeting a LB in round one and they were content to use their first choice in round two, which was ahead of the Cowboys, as it remained, on a RB.

I agree it would have been more dramatic had the Broncos traded with Washington when Washington was on the clock.

I agree the situation is similar to the Texans and CBs, or even WRs last year, with Charles Roger. We will never know if the Texans would have taken DeAngelo Hall this year, or Charles Rogers last year.

Huge said:
But it still wouldn't change the fact that Jones was invited to Dallas for an interview (as well as interviewing his brother Thomas during the free agency period) before the draft and Bell wasn't.

It is obviously to a teams advantage to keep their intentions confidential, to avoid teams trading ahead of them and taking their pick (while we will never know, CC has suggested he became aware of other teams interests and traded up for Babin). Accordingly, I don't find the information you've suggested about interviews to be compelling.

Huge said:
Cowboys bring Tatum Bell in for workout (4/9/2004).
Workouts scheduled: The Cowboys' focus this week has been on the NFL draft, and today the team will host roughly 25 players with local ties, including Oklahoma State running back Tatum Bell.

According to league rules, the Cowboys can bring in as many players as they want from the Dallas-Fort Worth area for workouts.

In addition to Bell, who ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash at the league combine in February, TCU defensive end Bo Schobel (Columbus), Northwestern Oklahoma wide receiver Patrick Crayton (DeSoto) and Texas Tech center Toby Cecil (Richardson) will attend. Next week, the Cowboys figure to bring in 20 more players from across the country for a visits.
Now I see the irony.

The Broncos acquired the 41st pick previously held by Washington, a pick ahead of Dallas' original second round pick, 52. The Broncos original second round pick, pick 54, was behind the Cowboys. The trade with the Bills didn't change the fact that the Broncos were still ahead of the Cowboys in the second round.

During the draft coverage. I believe there was speculation that the Broncos traded with Cincinnati to move up ahead of the Pats and the Cowboys for a RB. It turned out they were targeting a LB in round one and they were content to use their first choice in round two, which was ahead of the Cowboys, as it remained, on a RB.

I agree it would have been more dramatic had the Broncos traded with Washington when Washington was on the clock.

So you agree that the Broncos didn't neccessarily trade up in order to get Tatum Bell. How could they have known back in March (when they aquired that 2nd rounder) that he'd even be available? I mean if they really wanted Bell, why not package their two 2nd rounders to move up to ensure they got him?

You've also already stated that the Broncos know what they're doing when drafting runningbacks. If so, how did Dallas goof by passing on Jackson, Kevin Jones and Perry in the first when the Broncos did the same thing (when it was speculated they traded ahead of New England and Dallas in the first to have their choice of RBs)?

I agree the situation is similar to the Texans and CBs, or even WRs last year, with Charles Roger. We will never know if the Texans would have taken DeAngelo Hall this year, or Charles Rogers last year.

Agreed. And I would guess you'd also agree that it'd be pretty stupid of me to come on here and claim that the Texans "settled" for both Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson simply because they weren't in a position to be able to draft either Charles Rogers or Deangelo Hall.

It is obviously to a teams advantage to keep their intentions confidential, to avoid teams trading ahead of them and taking their pick (while we will never know, CC has suggested he became aware of other teams interests and traded up for Babin). Accordingly, I don't find the information you've suggested about interviews to be compelling.

Again...agreed. If it were only the interview, I'd agree on the 2nd part as well. And you'll have to forgive me for not buying into your theory that Dallas really wanted Tatum Bell...they just weren't in a position to draft him (wait a second, wouldn't that be like me claiming the Texans really wanted Charles Rogers and Deangelo Hall?).

Lucky said:

Good find, Lucky. But apparently being brought in for workouts/interviews has been ruled out as showing interest. Although Patrick Crayton (one of the players mentioned in that piece) was drafted by Dallas (7th round). It'd also be too easy to point out that Bell might have been brought in simply because he fell under the leauge's "local ties" policy. ;)

2,000 would be awsome, no doubt. But as long as the Texans make the playoffs I don't care if he has 1000 or 2000, just as long as Houston wins. Setting the goal for 2,000 is great though. The offensive line will take great pride in helping pave the way for Davis to do it and, of course, Davis would take great pride in getting the 2,000. If they are all serious about doing it, then they have a good chance to get it done.

Things we've learned from this thread:

Domanick Davis will be hard pressed to get 2000 yards rushing.
Clinton Portis is good.
So are the guys who ran for over 2000 yards.
Some of the greatest backs never ran for 2000 yards.
No RB ran for 2000 yards twice.
The Texans did not attempt to trade up to draft Wilfork. We don't think.
Dallas may or may not have drafted Tatum Bell had they the opportunity.
Irony can come back to bite you in the arse.
Dallas is the home of the Devil team from the North (Wait. We already knew that).

Now on to something we, or at least I, don't know. What's up with that little green box in the NE corner of a post? Do I want to be on a distinguished road? What happens if I decide to go off road? Is everyone here licensed?

Lucky said:
Do I want to be on a distinguished road? What happens if I decide to go off road? Is everyone here licensed?

I have no idea, but it's gotta be better than going on an EXtinguished road.

And the scales of justice on every post are a new thing too, right?

Lucky said:
2000 yards combined rushing & receiving? It's possible, though I expect Hollings to get some of that action. I'm thinking DD gets about 275 carries for about 1250 yards with Hollings getting maybe 120 carries for about 600 yards. Not quite 2000 between them, but still formidable.

I really see this is the more likely 2000 yards, 1400 to 1600 on the ground, and 500 to 600 in receptions. :twocents:

Accordingly, I don't find the information you've suggested about interviews to be compelling.
Good find Lucky. I appreciate the effort and clarity it brings..

scratch.gif

A Texan said:
How he does may well depend on how quicly the OL picks up on Pendry's zone blocking scheme.
I agree. Dominick is the real deal, but the results will be largely determined by the OL. I think it will be fasinating to watch the OL evolve this summer.

Will Pendry just plug in a LG, or will he shake up the whole mix?

Will the zone blocking system better suit the existing OL talent?

I'm looking forward to watching the story unfold.

__V__ said:
Earl had 1934 yards in 14 games (I think). He was sooo close.

Hollings will get more touches than most of you think. Bottom line is Dom is still has yet to prove his durability and I doubt we give him too many carries. I don't see 2k for him really.

Ogre is correct that Earl got that in a 16 game season, but because of injury I assume, Earl only played 15 games that year--barring that he had it.

Well considering they are trying to move to the zone blocking scheme and from what Ive learned/heard relies on quickness, it would only make sense (to me) for the most athletic tackle to be manning the LT spot, especially with Wade on the right side so Wand can get some help (as Vinny suggested). I think it can be compared well to the Robinson-Coleman switch, Wand will take his lumps (as will Carr) but in the end if the plan works out, we should be upgrading both LT and LG with Pitts switching over where he should be more dominant from all reports so far.

Im personally excited about some 2 TE sets with Bruener/Miller and Joppru/Miller on the sides. And of course Bruener|Wand|Pitts|McKinney|Wiegert|Wade|Joppru should blow holes open for Davis even bigger than that toilet seat that sits atop Cowboy Stadium. (Im not sure I can call it "Texas Stadium" anymore, after all as far as Im concerned Houston IS Texas's team.)

Re: Campbell's record setting year - http://www.profootballhof.com/index.cfm?section=history&cont_id=187002

Looks like he missed Week 4 and had few carries in Week 3. Must have been dinged up.

I recall being in the stands (Temporary Pavilion) for three of those 200 yard games.

But then after the disappointing playoff loss at the Raiders, the New Years Massacre was forever etched on my mind. I was filling up my '78 camaro with gas near Almeda Mall when I heard on the radio that Bum was fired. It was colder than hell outside and I was headed to Victoria that evening for a week-long job at the now defunct (I presume) Victoria Machine Works. Funny how you remember things...

for the amount of carries you need to get 2000 yds its not worth it!!!
it recks your carrer!! a RB should only get 300 carries a year if you want him to stay healthy and have a long carrer but teams dont have this luxury givin the short amount of talent at the position.

Back