Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

David Gibbs Interview/Gibbs Hired

Señor Stan;1099259 said:
Big money in marketing with this guy.

GIBBS.jpg

BWAA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Perhaps the best all-inclusive, multi-joke shot ever taken.

I mean, that, sir, was brilliant.

ESPN Source

Paul Kuharsky said:
David Gibbs is the Texans new secondary coach. He's got a deal and things will be finalized by next week.

It's no big surprise as Gary Kubiak basically indicated at the recent press conference announcing Frank Bush's promotion to defensive coordinator that Gibbs had an offer.

Now he jumps from Kansas City to Houston, where he replaces Jon Hoke. He's likely to get some new personnel to work with through the draft and free agency.

So there you have it. Figured it wouldn't take too long.

So what does Ray Rhodes do now? Assistant Defensive Backs Coach - guess that answer my own question...assists the DB coach.

Derrr!

Now we need a D-Line coach

go Ray Childress be a co-owner/coach LOL

(just kidding)

I haven't a clue who is out there for D-line

back on topic

Welcome Gibbs, welcome to Houston

now if he screams like his dad (from what some said from last training camp).. in the words of Vince Vaugh *earmuffs, kids EARMUFFS*

Well, looks like we got who we were looking for.

That leaves d-line coach, head trainer, and strength and conditioning coach still open. I wonder when we will hear word about interviews for these spots.

I kind of find it ironic that we're trying to build from the inside out, yet we're hiring backwards.

In any regards, hope Gibbs does to the secondary what Gibbs did to the O-line!

I don't care how they do it - backwards, forwards, inside out or outside in. As long as they just do it.

I am just looking for some smashmouth, in your face, hit them where it hurts, hit them hard and hit them often defense.

I really want to see opposing players get JACKED UP!

So now that Gibbs Jr is in the fold, what's the over/under on days under Larry Coyer is the new DL coach? I'll say 4 just because the weekend is coming up.

I don't like it and not b/c he its Gibb's son. But B/C they finished 28th in pass D last year. They did finish 5th the year before that but 18th in 06. I was hoping to get an upgrade not Hoke II.

I don't like it and not b/c he its Gibb's son. But B/C they finished 28th in pass D last year. They did finish 5th the year before that but 18th in 06. I was hoping to get an upgrade not Hoke II.

At least the pass defense wasn't as bad as the run defense. That Chiefs team was a mess last year. They generated absolutely no pass rush. The entire team was only able to muster 10 sacks combined. For comparison, 12 individuals had as many or more sacks than the entire KC team. That's a recipe for a horrible pass defense.

Also, Gibbs was considered instrumental in the development of both Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, who are two very promising young safeties. The same can't be said for Hoke. The only young DBs who he has developed who have had staying power were Faggins and CC Brown. Dunta and Bennett actually regressed under him. Give Gibbs a chance.

I don't care how they do it - backwards, forwards, inside out or outside in. As long as they just do it.

I am just looking for some smashmouth, in your face, hit them where it hurts, hit them hard and hit them often defense.

I really want to see opposing players get JACKED UP!

Watch the AFC Championship game.

So now that Gibbs Jr is in the fold, what's the over/under on days under Larry Coyer is the new DL coach? I'll say 4 just because the weekend is coming up.

When Gibbs was fired by Shanahan in Denver, there were reports it was due to coaching disagreements between Gibbs and Coyer.

His first two years in KC he improved the secondary by a good margin. 2008, they could not run the ball for crap and their rushing defense was 30 and 31 Y/A. When you have a rushing defense like that you are having to bring a lot more help from the secondary which will cause the play action pass to work making your secondary look worse than what it is. Something Houston knows a little bit about. But the passing defense of 2008 is still better than what they had in 2005, prior to Gibbs getting there.

Still not posted on the chrons mobile site

Well, you-know-who is too busy furiously typing his latest blog entry that exposes Smithiak as dubious traitors to Houston pro football.

It's a hard-knock life.

His first two years in KC he improved the secondary by a good margin. 2008, they could not run the ball for crap and their rushing defense was 30 and 31 Y/A. When you have a rushing defense like that you are having to bring a lot more help from the secondary which will cause the play action pass to work making your secondary look worse than what it is. Something Houston knows a little bit about. But the passing defense of 2008 is still better than what they had in 2005, prior to Gibbs getting there.

Two other things in Gibbs defense:

• The Chiefs started a pair of rookies at cornerback in almost every game this year. Due to injury, Patrick Surtain started two games, and the rest of the starts were split between a 2nd round draft pick, a fifth round draft pick, and an UDFA.
  • The Chiefs finished dead last in the NFL in sacks. Not just dead last, but a distant dead last, as they had 10 sacks, and the 31st ranked team in sacks had 17.
Anybody who chooses only to see the crap and ignore the good is going to hate the hire. Anybody who chooses only to see the good on the resume and ignore the crap is going to love the hire. Both positions are likely wrong.

• The Chiefs started a pair of rookies at cornerback in almost every game this year. Due to injury, Patrick Surtain started two games, and the rest of the starts were split between a 2nd round draft pick, a fifth round draft pick, and an UDFA.

And either their nickel or dime was a rookie as well. That's rough trying to coach up three rookies--2nd round, 5th round and undrafted FA.

Since you work closer to pancakes and the gang than any of us, how come stuff like this does not get broken on the chron first? Wouldn't you think that McClain would have an inkling this was going down and try to get it up at the webpage before some guy at ESPN?

I know you probably have no working relationship with any of the *ahem* sports journalists for our paper, but whatever happened to wanting to get a scoop (or any local story) first?

Since you work closer to pancakes and the gang than any of us, how come stuff like this does not get broken on the chron first? Wouldn't you think that McClain would have an inkling this was going down and try to get it up at the webpage before some guy at ESPN?

I know you probably have no working relationship with any of the *ahem* sports journalists for our paper, but whatever happened to wanting to get a scoop (or any local story) first?

I think McClain's at one of the Conference playoff games. Pittsburgh, I think. Not that that's really an excuse, but just thought I'd point it out. :)

[*]The Chiefs finished dead last in the NFL in sacks. Not just dead last, but a distant dead last, as they had 10 sacks, and the 31st ranked team in sacks had 17.
[/LIST]
Anybody who chooses only to see the crap and ignore the good is going to hate the hire. Anybody who chooses only to see the good on the resume and ignore the crap is going to love the hire. Both positions are likely wrong.

Yep, Darren freaking Howard had as many sacks as the entire Chiefs team (who started Houston fan favorite Jason "Bad Boy" Babin a couple of games).

This is from a Chiefs fan site, so take it for what it's worth but:

David Gibbs – A

If he’s not in Kansas City next season, David Gibbs earned a job coaching defensive backs somewhere else. We haven’t seen such great corner play from rookies since The Carl Peterson NFL Retirement Home started over a decade ago.
LINK

The more I read about this hire, the more I like it. Despite the nepotism, I believe we actually have upgraded our coaching in the secondary. I'm very anxious to see who we bring in to coach the DL. He'll have his work cut out for him.

First!!!*

David Gibbs hired as Texans DB coach; Thoughts on the 'Bronco Mafia'

*"First" is the silly comment that is sometimes made in blogs because some people take pride in getting the first comment of a blog. I have no idea why.

You could have omitted the info about Colorado's win over Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

While this may be happening, I think it's still officially in the rumor stage right now.

Well it will not be on the official site until all the "i" are dotted and the "t" are crossed and the contracted is signed.

I do not know. I am guessing that Kuharsky got the information through someone on Gibbs' side instead of the Texans.

Not that I know for sure, but usually the Chronicle has the story up maybe one hour or so before the Texans press release comes out. The Texans aren't ready to make this public yet at all because they don't have i's dotted and t's crossed yet. Kuharsky said as much in his article.

I'm sure most of the folks at this Chroncle thought this was going to happen, but may not have had confirmation that it was a deal.

I don't work directly with the Chronicle writers, but I know a number of them. They are working media with their strengths and weaknesses like all of us. It's a job of unfriendly hours, so if they don't get a story first here or there, I don't blame them.

You could have omitted the info about Colorado's win over Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Well it will not be on the official site until all the "i" are dotted and the "t" are crossed and the contracted is signed.

Hey man, I was just taking the stuff verbatim from their website before it went away. Sorry about that. :smiliedance:

Maybe Smithiak is sending a signal to The Chronicle?

Leaking it to other media outlets, and excluding The Chronicle, would be a nice move IMO. A "how do you like them apples?" signal.

Maybe Smithiak is sending a signal to The Chronicle?

Leaking it to other media outlets, and excluding The Chronicle, would be a nice move IMO. A "how do you like them apples?" signal.

I don't think so. The Texans media office is known for being reknownly friendly and accomodating to the media. They have a Pravda-like ability to get their message out, and like clockwork they give information out in an orderly way. The Texans will not confirm anything unless i's and t's are dotted and crossed. So I can't imagine them feeding information to the Chronicle waaaaay before things can be put in an official press release.

I'm guessing that Kuharsky got his info outside the official Texans channels.

I think it's so funny how the multiple media outlets fight over who actually broke the story. Especially when ESPN only credits themselves when it comes down to it. Jay Glazer has made himself relevant by breaking stories though, so I guess the fight is worth it. Just kind of seems miniscule to me. I just want the news, period.

• The Chiefs finished dead last in the NFL in sacks. Not just dead last, but a distant dead last, as they had 10 sacks, and the 31st ranked team in sacks had 17.

Further on that point: the nfl.com site keeps team sack stats going back to 1982. From 1982 through this season, the 2008 Chiefs were the first team to record fewer than 17 sacks in a year. So not only did they break a modern record for futility, they shattered it. (Well, in the strike-shortened nine game season in 1982, a couple of teams posted fewer than 17 sacks, but even the worst team that year managed 11 in nine games).

Given the fact that he had an all-rookie CB rotation that was playing behind the worst pass rush, by far, the league has seen in the last 25+ years, the fact that the Chiefs finished ahead of anyone in pass defense is a pretty major accomplishment for the DB coach.

A Texan fan went onto one of the Chiefs message boards and asked their opinion of him and I have to say I am very impressed:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=115&f=1837&t=3763376

I have looked at a couple of other Chiefs fan comments elsewhere and I have yet to come across one single negative comment. Not one, anywhere. Not only that but the vast majority are very complimentary of his coaching talents and are upset that he is not being retained. I didn't know a lot about this guy, other than his family connections, but this hire is winning me over.

It really is too bad we couldn't lure Marinelli over here or I might have felt really optimistic about our defensive coaching. Hopefully we get a D-line coach with a nice track record that can stick around for more than a couple years.

A Texan fan went onto one of the Chiefs message boards and asked their opinion of him and I have to say I am very impressed:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=115&f=1837&t=3763376

I have looked at a couple of other Chiefs fan comments elsewhere and I have yet to come across one single negative comment. Not one, anywhere. Not only that but the vast majority are very complimentary of his coaching talents and are upset that he is not being retained. I didn't know a lot about this guy, other than his family connections, but this hire is winning me over.

It really is too bad we couldn't lure Marinelli over here or I might have felt really optimistic about our defensive coaching. Hopefully we get a D-line coach with a nice track record that can stick around for more than a couple years.

Very cool. Thanks for posting the link. I'm excited about our defense next year. I think Bush will do well and it looks like the Gibbs kid will do fine with the secondary.

I don't think so. The Texans media office is known for being reknownly friendly and accomodating to the media. They have a Pravda-like ability to get their message out, and like clockwork they give information out in an orderly way. The Texans will not confirm anything unless i's and t's are dotted and crossed. So I can't imagine them feeding information to the Chronicle waaaaay before things can be put in an official press release.

I'm guessing that Kuharsky got his info outside the official Texans channels.

Why couldn't the Chronicle get the info outside of the official Texans channels?

I appreciate your effort to remain above the fray, so to speak, in terms of being a good person when it comes to The Chronicle's "hard work." But that's lazy journalism when Chronicle reporters aren't out there mining that information themselves. I guess if there's not a meat and cheese platter and some bottled water on ice, with a P.R. staffer dropping stuff in their laps, the Chron can't find anything out on the Texans.

Kuharsky breaks a story because the Texans are in the AFC South and he writes a blog on the AFC South...but the hometown reporters themselves cannot get a clue on this development even though it's the team in their own city! LOL. Priceless.

That's advertising dollars at work for ya'....

BTW, I majored in mass communication in college, and although I did not pursue a career in the field...I can still sense shoddy journalism when I see it. Manfull is their best Texans' journo, and it's a distant second after her. As Veronica Corningstone would say, "That, sir, is nothing but Grade A balogne. BALOGNE!"

The Chronicle hasn't reported this yet because they're too busy writing stories about how the Cowboys should drop TO and how awesome the Cardinals are.

That being said, the Kansas City website hasn't reported this either. They're too busy celebrating getting Pioli and speculating about landing Cowher.

So we're getting some "named" coaches in Houston.

Kubiak, Gibbs, Rhodes...... plus a few up and comings...... Shanahan & Gibbs.....

not to mentions we had Sherman for a little while, who went on to become the head coach of Texas A&M.

sounds like we're building a tradition... and getting further away from the expansion team "stigma"

Gibbs was working with a 2nd round and 5th round rookie that ended up starting almost every game (one of which was from Grand Valley State), another rookie CB from Valdosta State that saw significant time, 2 average safeties that overachieved, and coached them to record 13 INTs on a defense that registered 10 sacks all season long (2 of which Jason Babin got and a record for fewest sacks ever in a season). To relate it to the Texans, that's like us not having Mario for a pass rush and coming up with 1 more INT than we actually go this season. In all honesty, I want to give him a chance because it seemed to me he overachieved quite a bit when you consider all that.

booger5.jpg

"we have bush!"

yeah, i think it will be bush too. Its ok i guess, i was hoping for a proven guy though. Maybe frank will prove to be a hell of a coordinator, who knows? Maybe its someone on one of the playoff teams like someone here said, if not......... We'll have bush!

lmao - i don't care who you are that booger is funny right there!

Back