Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Culley Fired After One Season!

zshawn10

All Pro
What an incomprehensible decision. Absolutely terrible.

Is the next guy coming in going to come to a team that is close to being a powerhouse team? No. So why the **** are you getting rid of the guy who had the team at least mostly competitive and had a rookie qb looking decent despite having NOTHING?!
This guy didn’t even know how an up tempo offense helped mills in the second half of the titans game lol.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
This guy didn’t even know how an up tempo offense helped mills in the second half of the titans game lol.
Doesn't matter. He had the team working enough coming out of the cancer that was the O'Brien Tyranny. The next coach is gonna get burned by the time we're good again, if that ever happens. And just ask Alex Smith how he feels about a revolving door of coaches and schemes ruining development.

Mangler

Toro de España
The Texans will be stomped on by the media, and it ain’t even fair. Can’t say we didn't see it coming though! I just hope we finally land the right HC to take us to the promise land!

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Culley turned out to be exactly what we thought he would be before he was hired. This is more of a reflection on the File Clerk's decision making than anything else. If you tell me he was a bridge coach, what in the hell is a bridge coach other than a very bad excuse for hiring a very bad HC?

Last edited:

zshawn10

All Pro
Doesn't matter. He had the team working enough coming out of the cancer that was the O'Brien Tyranny. The next coach is gonna get burned by the time we're good again, if that ever happens. And just ask Alex Smith how he feels about a revolving door of coaches and schemes ruining development.
He was mr.checkdown for so long and then the chiefs had enough of him and traded up for an unknown in Mahomes and look where the chiefs are now.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Why would Pep want to stick around? For them to fire him within a year for Josh McCown? I don't know why any candidate who doesn't have a history with Caserio and/or Easterby would trust the Texans.
TK is gone now so you offer him the job. Just scattershooting. Hell if I'm Pep I don't come on last year. lol

Earl34

Hall of Fame
People like to say when a QB gets signed during training camp, "Oh, he's just a camp arm." I think we all knew ol Culley was a "camp coach". I hope that Tweet upthread is right, "McDaniels will not take this job". Something about the guy I could do without.
It might be because when people mention hiring McDaniels they totally forget he had his own video taping scandal with the Broncos. You might be on to something.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The only thing that would surprise me is if they hired someone for HC that doesn't have strong ties to Easterby and Caserio.

What wouldn't surprise me is if Caserio knew before this season started who his next HC would be and Culley was never thought of as "the" guy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Can't say I agree with it but also can't say I'm surprised. Glad to see Kelly is gone though so making lemonade there. I wouldn't be against Flores though I really hope it wouldn't be another attempt to appease Watson.

Its also possible that they actually didn't intend to fire Culley after one year but Flores being a surprise firing meant they changed their plans and contact him before they made a decision on Culley. Guess we'll know if they hire Flores. Of course its also possible that they just flipped a coin on whether to fire him or not. Neither scenario would surprise me.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
At first glance I thought the Texans screwed Culley then I saw that he refused to make changes to the offensive (in more ways than one) staff, so he pretty much screwed himself. I completely understand wanting continuity with a young QB but this was an absolutely horrible offense in 2021.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm not upset but I am pretty surprised considering how we love to hang on to coaches long past their sell by date.

This move gets a "meh" from me.

I hope the new hire "wow"s me though.... in a good way... not the "wow"s I got when OB constantly seemed to fail his way to promotion.

mancunian

Old Timer
At first glance I thought the Texans screwed Culley then I saw that he refused to make changes to the offensive (in more ways than one) staff, so he pretty much screwed himself. I completely understand wanting continuity with a young QB but this was an absolutely horrible offense in 2021.
too stubborn to change